What's Cookin?

Even more!
Check out the prices on these

From what I can tell is the propane grill and outdoor kitchen island trend is all but dead. The people who buy those hi end luxury grills are getting into pellet and they want something more than Trager and others who've outsourced to China.
They want USA made, high quality, heavy gauge steel, and craftsmanship. And companies like Yoder are absolutely cashing in on it.
Pellet makes anybody a pitmaster then on top of that you have BBQ U at places like Meat Church where people come from all over to learn how to BBQ. These rich folk wanna have their parties and produce a meal comparable to some of the best pitmasters they see on TV. Ten years ago that crowd was into sear marks and kabobs and now they're into real deal Texas style BBQ and it's insane how much they'll spend to do it and be able to brag about it.

Yeah freezing a brisket is kinda common especially after covid and the old buying limits. Just use your vac sealer and freezer grade bags.

So I can get brisket one of many ways at the regular meat market in the grocery store.

You have the whole packers in American wagyu, prime, and choice. These range from about $75-$150. Then you have the whole packer in choice with the deckle fat trimmed off and that's about $80.
Then you have market trim choice and that's what I buy.
It will either be a point or flat and it will be trimmed to near perfection behind the counter then wrapped on a tray and sold. I like this because first a packer is just too big for two people and second, yeah all that trimming sucks.

On a packer that size I might cut away 5lbs+ of fat then I gotta freeze the fat and put it in the compost bin the night before pick up otherwise all that fat will get all rancid in the bin and that's just gross and stinky, draws flies and all that.
And I don't even wanna get into how hard it is to trim when a brisky isn't ice cold. Like it's a race against time and I gotta chill it again if I don't do it fast enough and a good trim does take time. Better done in a cold meat market rather than an 80 degree kitchen lol.

I'll have to look and compare price per pound but for say a 5-8lb market trimmed choice flat I'll pay around $23 on the low end to $35 on the high end. Maybe up to $40 on a point.
I'm also not too sold on prime or wagyu. Sure they give more tolerance if not done to perfection but give me choice, consistent low temps 225-250 and a near transparent smoke and I'll make a choice cut taste prime especially the lower and slower I cook it.

I'm also not a fan of trying to do a whole packer because of the temp difference to done between a point and flat. The flat will always be done first so yeah I'm all for cutting it in half and doing one or the other.

Then this all changes if you get the brisky from a good butcher. Those will be angus prime and trimmed up packers. Looking at around $150 for the smallest brisket about the size of a slab of baby back and a full size packer trimmed up will be an ez $250. If you want Japanese wagyu then it gets insane at well over $1000 for even that smallest of packers

wow those are some smokin smokers!!!!!!! i like the off road looking ones!!!!! kinda shocks me how so many are stick style designs, just thought they were outdated by todays standards. guess not.

so yeah, it still turns out good if i trim cut and freeze? that's awesome. next time there's a sale i'm gonna get two and break them down and do that!!

ya know i never mentioned to you but the sous vide cooker is awesome and all but i have really been getting my moneys worth on the vacuum sealer!! that thing has made freezing food so much better!! and not just frozen stuff either... salads, left over meats, open packs of bacon.. they all last so much longer in my fridge. on xmas we sliced up the whole ham and sealed it in portions in the fridge and it lasted way longer than it ever has. made a turkey breast last week and had some sealed leftovers today from it and it was still fresh!!

the food saver zip locks haven't been the best though.. after i open them a few times they lose their sealing and don't stay vacuumed anymore. almost cheaper just to use the one and done bag sleeves.

but yeah you have some better deals down there on the cattle for sure. i would get briskets for almost those prices about 6 or 7 years ago but not anymore.. last i checked at the good butcher in town was 180 for a whole packer prime.

i can get packers from my regular grocery store for around $125. sometimes 80-90 on sale a couple times a year. i think this is when i'll buy one or two. still kind of pricey in my opinion for something with so much waste. but it just tastes so damn good!!!!! i've heard smoked chuck roasts are almost as good as briskets?? never tried one but i want to!!! you ever try one?

so it's been cold and raining here for days, better than snow i guess... i made some of my favorite stew. i don't know if it has a name or if anyone else even knows of it. it came from my grandma so maybe russian/polish food.. it's very simple.. just russet potatoes, green beans, smoked sausage, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and water.

anybody else ever had it?

002.JPG

got another cold weather meal coming up tomorrow.. hint, it does and should have BEANS!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

wow those are some smokin smokers!!!!!!! i like the off road looking ones!!!!! kinda shocks me how so many are stick style designs, just thought they were outdated by todays standards. guess not.

so yeah, it still turns out good if i trim cut and freeze? that's awesome. next time there's a sale i'm gonna get two and break them down and do that!!

ya know i never mentioned to you but the sous vide cooker is awesome and all but i have really been getting my moneys worth on the vacuum sealer!! that thing has made freezing food so much better!! and not just frozen stuff either... salads, left over meats, open packs of bacon.. they all last so much longer in my fridge. on xmas we sliced up the whole ham and sealed it in portions in the fridge and it lasted way longer than it ever has. made a turkey breast last week and had some sealed leftovers today from it and it was still fresh!!

the food saver zip locks haven't been the best though.. after i open them a few times they lose their sealing and don't stay vacuumed anymore. almost cheaper just to use the one and done bag sleeves.

but yeah you have some better deals down there on the cattle for sure. i would get briskets for almost those prices about 6 or 7 years ago but not anymore.. last i checked at the good butcher in town was 180 for a whole packer prime.

i can get packers from my regular grocery store for around $125. sometimes 80-90 on sale a couple times a year. i think this is when i'll buy one or two. still kind of pricey in my opinion for something with so much waste. but it just tastes so damn good!!!!! i've heard smoked chuck roasts are almost as good as briskets?? never tried one but i want to!!! you ever try one?

so it's been cold and raining here for days, better than snow i guess... i made some of my favorite stew. i don't know if it has a name or if anyone else even knows of it. it came from my grandma so maybe russian/polish food.. it's very simple.. just russet potatoes, green beans, smoked sausage, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and water.

anybody else ever had it?

View attachment 48364

got another cold weather meal coming up tomorrow.. hint, it does and should have BEANS!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah there's a name for it...Hippie Gumbo!! 🥴

my favorite cornbread recipe... i swap out coarse corn meal for self rising corn meal, gives it a slight fluff and not so dry. and instead of buying buttermilk i just measure out the full 1-1/3 cup milk and add a healthy squirt of lemon juice.

and i also add a 1/2 cup of whole corn.

cornbread.png

Last edited:
My daughters birthday today, she wanted pork loin and loaded mash potatoes.
I’ve seen a couple sous vide posts.
These where done at 135 for 4.5 hrs then rested and grilled quick sauce was the reduced marinade.
Also if y’all like a good white wine, try this one!538FFAE5-A04D-476B-8A20-3CAB0628C6AC.jpeg21A55E79-9E35-4B82-84A0-CAFD5A8DCF7E.jpegE2862A74-F8D4-4A18-984F-B04933F35EFE.jpeg20A61C11-70A1-41EB-B237-73785387DB23.jpegE07188F9-9664-4C6F-94D3-5734CA11B6CF.jpeg7F6317FB-1318-4071-BF17-3B0C1042E092.jpeg

Chevre and marscapone cheesecake I'm working on a recipe for, just out of the water bath. Set up real nice for me. Nilla wafer crumb and butter crust.
View attachment 49948

that looks beautiful Beans!!!

must be in the air... today i made lemon cheesecake with lemon wafer cookies for the crust.

002.JPG

What's cooking for the holiday weekend Y'all?

I'm going grocery shopping in a few and will see what kinda trouble I can get into. I'm thinking a trimmed up brisket if they have one. Maybe pulled chicken tacos or maybe even something lamb or pork IDK but something other than weed is getting smoked this weekend 'round these parts 😋

I'm going grocery shopping in a few and will see what kinda trouble I can get into. I'm thinking a trimmed up brisket if they have one. Maybe pulled chicken tacos or maybe even something lamb or pork IDK but something other than weed is getting smoked this weekend 'round these parts 😋
I think I am going to Salt and Smoke in ballpark village downtown stl tonight. BBQ for sure. Mosh is in town, moshing is probably what we will do.

i rubbed some ribs down last night.... got em cookin right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

009.JPG

I was gonna smoke a Boston butt and then pull it, but my dad invited me up for smoked prime rib and I just couldn't refuse 😍🔥

Threw down on the Santa Maria yesterday!
Ancho chile rubbed leg & thigh quarters and cajun wings

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

Finished off with Rebel Red Sauce

IMG_6874.JPG

Today will be a whole slow smoked chicken then pulled to make tacos with fresh made green chile pico.

But Sunday is the real deal I aint fuckin 'round throw down doing the Texas BBQ Holy Trinity.
The ribs and brisky will be rubbed down today then chilled and put on smoke around 4am Sunday. I got both a point and center cut brisket to mix it up doing one traditional and the other green chile TexMex style.
May also cut the rib rack in half and do one side Memphis style dry and the other wet with Swamp Sauce
Wife is on deviled egg duty and those beans will get an extra shot of bourbon and some bacon added to them then smoked

IMG_6876.JPG

Pulled chicken tacos🇲🇽🌮🇲🇽

View attachment 52359

View attachment 52360

Havin at it like a honey badger🦡🦡🦡

View attachment 52361

View attachment 52364

One made with fresh pico and the other made with kimchi. Both delicious 😋

View attachment 52365

that looks a hell of a lot better than the chinese food i made tonight with left over steak thats for sure!!! enough so that i wanted to throw it out a drive to texas!!!

i get good stuff tomorrow though.. traditional.. ham steak, cheezy tators, green beans, eggs, salads and breads the works!!! and then some cheescake for when i'm watchin the roundy rounds!!!! ahhh yeah!!!!

Happy Easter to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that looks a hell of a lot better than the chinese food i made tonight with left over steak thats for sure!!! enough so that i wanted to throw it out a drive to texas!!!

i get good stuff tomorrow though.. traditional.. ham steak, cheezy tators, green beans, eggs, salads and breads the works!!! and then some cheescake for when i'm watchin the roundy rounds!!!! ahhh yeah!!!!

Happy Easter to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 on the pole!!! I bet you're one happy dude today!!!

6 am and the 4lb brisky is on the smoke! 2 pounder will go in a couple hours later.

Happy Easter Buddy!
I tell ya...Of all the Jesus's...Baby Jesus, Korean Jesus.... without a doubt, Zombie Jesus is my favorite Jesus of all!!🪺🧟‍♂️

I almost forgot it was Easter Weekend, my little freezer is full of meat, wonder what I'll do today? Just tryin to "Wake an Bake" right now, turned on the 2 flower tents for 13-11 and saw this post. I am so behind everything.

nobody in the house but me eats deviled eggs....

fresh laid this morning and all to myself!!

View attachment 52478
I'm feelin so fat man.
I ate 6 deviled eggs, a pile of mashed taters and sweet potatoes, koleslaw, 1 roll, cranberry sauce, and 2 big ol slabs of prime rib!! I'm stuffed!
Now I'm having fresh made margaritas!! 😍

Back
Top Bottom