What's Cookin?

Ive done that, i prefer it sliced though.
I dehydrate mine longer than most.
I like it xtra tough.
That's how my grandpa and Mom made it when they were alive. So dang tough one piece could keep you gnawing on it for an hour. Perfect for fishing and walking rivers for miles catching trout

I wrote a report on cured meats for one of my classes and the history is very interesting. Curing played a critical role in the exploration and discovery of our world before refrigeration was invented.

How it started

IMG_6413.JPG

How it ended

IMG_6421.JPG

I went Brazilian with this one.
Rubbed down with McCormick Brazillian Steakhouse rub then sous vide at 135 for 4 hours.
After that, seared on 500*F grilling grates and after the final flip, smothered in chimichurri.

So I'm a bit of a chimichurri freak. Love the stuff! Never buy what's in a jar...it's weird. Better made fresh at home and it's very ez and can be tweeked to taste.
I love it so much I only need about 1 cup for a steak dinner but I'll make 4 cups and use it on just about anything and everything. I'd brush my teeth with the stuff if I could.
I've been using this recipe for a few years and it's a very good one. She's anti food processor but I still use a food processor 😋

How it started

View attachment 42041

How it ended

View attachment 42042

Rubbed down with McCormick Brazillian Steakhouse rub then sous vide at 135 for 4 hours.
After that, seared on 500*F grilling grates and after the final flip, smothered in chimichurri.

So I'm a bit of a chimichurri freak. Love the stuff! Never buy what's in a jar...it's weird. Better made fresh at home and it's very ez and can be tweeked to taste.
I love it so much I only need about 1 cup for a steak dinner but I'll make 4 cups and use it on just about anything and everything. I'd brush my teeth with the stuff if I could.
I've been using this recipe for a few years and it's a very good one. She's anti food processor but I still use a food processor 😋
Probably should also use mexican oregano instead of Eyetalien. This is similar to making 'chopped' liver which does mran food processed liver. Grinding it with a hand crank is best...Haven't ever seen chimichurri -- will have to try some with beast...

How it started

View attachment 42041

How it ended

View attachment 42042

I only use chimi for beef bbq or steak. Dislike sweet sauces for fatty beef like plate ribs or brisket, it's just too much. I think you need the palette cleanse of vinegar or it gets tiresome fast. Has to be fresh made though or the herbs turn gray.

Final test to determine if the RecTeq Bullseye is truly the all in one BBQ it claims to be and I want it to be.
It passed BBQ with A+
Flat top griddle A+
Searing at a very high temp B
And now, can it smoke? There's only one cut to determine this...brisket. If it can smoke a brisket then it can smoke anything

How it started

IMG_6427.JPG

After 8 hours and getting past the stall

IMG_6436.JPG

How it ended. Hell yeah!

IMG_6438.JPG

So I'm really super judgy when it comes to brisket, especially my own. There's a standard I feel needs to be met with brisket and am so happy the Bullseye can meet that standard.
I can always do better IMO. Haven't perfected it yet but have come close many times and came close again with my first run on it.
Checked all the boxes on bark, smoke ring, texture, and juiciness.

The flavor is tremendous! When my wife tells me "See, this is why I love your brisket and is the only brisket I'll eat" As she proceeds to take 3 slabs and goes radio silent for the next 10 minutes with the only sounds being mmmm, I know I did a good one. She's not a brisket eater at all.

It's close for me but I'm also on a mission to change some ideas on it from Texas traditions.
Instead of post oak, I used mesquite. Instead of a multi part sweet and salty rub.... just black pepper, green chile, and garlic.
I'm trying to blend flavors of Mexico with Texas flavors and getting that real deal Tex Mex BBQ not many can pull off. Green chile is often reserved just for pork but when given a chance, can do some awesome shit to beef too!

Final test to determine if the RecTeq Bullseye is truly the all in one BBQ it claims to be and I want it to be.
It passed BBQ with A+
Flat top griddle A+
And now, can it smoke? There's only one cut to determine this...brisket. If it can smoke a brisket then it can smoke anything

How it started

View attachment 42508

View attachment 42509

How it ended. Hell yeah!

View attachment 42510

So I'm really super judgy when it comes to brisket, especially my own. There's a standard I feel needs to be met with brisket and am so happy the Bullseye can meet that standard.
I can always do better IMO. Haven't perfected it yet but have come close many times and came close again with my first run on it.

The flavor is tremendous! When my wife tells me "See, this is why I love your brisket and is the only brisket I'll eat" As she proceeds to take 3 slabs and goes radio silent for the next 10 minutes with the only sounds being mmmm, I know I did a good one. She's not a brisket eater at all.

It's close for me but I'm also on a mission to change some ideas on it from Texas traditions.
Instead of post oak, I used mesquite. Instead of a multi part sweet and salty rub.... just black pepper, green chile, and garlic.
I'm trying to blend flavors of Mexico with Texas flavors and getting that real deal Tex Mex BBQ not many can pull off. Green chile is often reserved just for pork but when given a chance, can do some awesome shit to beef too!

not that it would be a deal breaker, but is there enough lid room to do a beer can yard bird?

@SSgrower this pizza dough recipe is really delish...add 2 more tablespoons flower to existing directionsView attachment 42684View attachment 42685

i've made a very similar recipe.. i used self rising a couple times and it made it a little lighter...

012.JPG

I made Chili last night using, 1/2 lb. Whataburger sausage, 1 lb. 85/15 ground round & sliced Ribeye from cheese steak strips, not yet cooked, really decent chili, neighbor liked it. SS

not that it would be a deal breaker, but is there enough lid room to do a beer can yard bird?

i've made a very similar recipe.. i used self rising a couple times and it made it a little lighter...

View attachment 42691

Nah but BCC has fallen out of favor for me lately with spatchock chicken recipes.
BCC is great for off the pit presentation but spatchcock cutting is the road to flavortown and makes a marinade possible.
Under the grates do the steam pan with either beer, water & juice, Dr.Pepper etc.
On the grate put down your peppers and onions then lay the bird donw skin side up and opened up over them.
Smoke at 225-250 for about half an hour then raise up to 300 and slow cook BBQ the rest of the way.
Before finishing, put in a pan or foil wrap and sauce it up and let the sauce get hot and gooey.
That's for low and slow BBQ spatchcock but it can also be grilled and flipped for a faster cook and you get those sear marks

made fresh pasta today, used an egg laid this morning from a chicken named Navy!! 🙃 drying extra leftovers,,,

014.JPG015.JPG

also made a big pot of gravy from scratch!!! it was awesome to have parsley and basil growing in the veg cabinet!!!

016.JPG

Hell yes, i keep saying i need to get me one of those

what a chicken or a pasta maker? :LOL:

if i had to buy it over again i would try one of these newer style playdo makers...

they would save some serious time and effort!!! IF they work as they say??? that i have no experience with. the kind i have are pretty much bulletproof.

ahh c'mon now. cutest thing on four toes!!! :D

View attachment 43229

your kids would have a blast with the old school ones better too, they can crank the handle for ya!!!
Chickens are cool, but they stink, and need to be taken care of.

I already have 2 kids, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, and a fish, im ok lol

SB Sunday throw down on the flat-top

IMG_6495.JPG

5 layer dip

IMG_6485.JPG

I'm never buying store bought cheesecake ever again. These little cheesecake jars easily make owning a sous vide worth it and it will pay for itself making these things.
They were even better than some cheesecake we had in Brooklyn a few years ago and that was considered one of the best cheesecakes in NYC!
No bullshit on the ingredients. No corn syrup, excess sugars, or preservatives. Just cream cheese, buttermilk, eggs, and reduced amount of pure cane sugar. Crust is crushed cinnamon graham crackers mixed well with melted unsalted butter and tamped down to pack it down at the bottom before filling.
176 in the SV for 90 minutes then let sit in the fridge overnight

IMG_6498.JPG

hell yeah man, that all looks killer!!!!! i'm gonna try those cheesecakes out for sure!!!!!!!! maybe this weekend..

so i saw there was a big listeria outbreak...

Brands and the products they have recalled in the past week include:

SaveMart: Chicken Street Taco Kit
The Perfect Bite Co: Mexican Style Street Corn Bites
Stater Bros: Chicken Street Taco Kit
Fresh Express: Fresh Express Salsa! Ensalada Kit, Marketside Southwest Chopped Salad Kit
Albertsons, Safeway, Eagle, Carrs-Safeway, Pavilions, Vons, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, Lucky: Chicken Taco Kits and Meals
Dole, Marketside, President’s Choice: Salad kits
Fresh and Ready, Sprig and Sprout, Jack and Olive: Torta sandwiches
Marketside: Bacon Ranch Crunch Salad Kit
Marketside: Bacon Ranch Crunch Chopped Salad Kit
Bright Farms: Bright Farms Southwest Chipotle Crunch Kit salad kit
Trader Joe’s: Chicken Enchiladas Verde, Cilantro Salad Dressing, Elote Chopped Salad Kit, Southwest Salad
Marketside, Ready Pac Bistro: Southwest Chopped Salad Kit, Bacon Ranch Crunch Kit, Fresh Mex Chopped Kit, Queso Crunch Salad Kit
Rojo’s: Black Bean 6 Layer Dip
Don Pancho, HEB, Trader Joe’s: Cilantro Lime Crema, Everything Sauce Fiesta, Cilantro Cotija dressing, Poblano Caesar dressing, Cilantro Dressing, Street Taco Express Meal Kit

Celebrated my girlfriends Bday today... sous vide a t-bone and two tails @131*

001.JPG

thats just wrong on so many levels!!!! how can ya ruin a good banana like that... that's a sorry excuse for a pizza!! :LOL:

gotta be a mushroom though right? bananas don't look like that.

It passed BBQ with A+
Flat top griddle A+

How it started

View attachment 42508

View attachment 42509

How it ended. Hell yeah!

View attachment 42510

I found a BBQ joint in Victoria,Tx. Has a Vinegar base sauce with brown sugar, I don't know if paprika or chili or hatch is in it. but I love it on everything, even boiled eggs for breakfast. Carry on, SS Oh, Munford's BBQ,Ha

Back
Top Bottom