🌞TSD's 2023 Scrog Under The Sun🌞

TSD

Student of Sun and Soil
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Well I suppose I'll start a grow diary here, along with all the other Farm defectors. 🤣 I kid, I'll still hang at the Farm too... for the time being.
So as many of you know, I am an outdoor grower and I keep it organic as long as we don't have a situation that requires total chemical warfare... which I haven't needed in a few years now. Last year was my first year doing a scrog, it was a game changer for me, so I plan on doing it again. My climate in NNY is not the best for growing honestly, cold damp autumns make my life hard, but as you will see, I love to MacGyver up solutions to what Mother Nature throws at me, blanket forts will be built come frost time. All seeds were dropped in to soak, popped and planted between March 1-3. Strains are as follows:

1: AYAHUASCA PURPLE from Barney's Farm. 100% Indica/21%THC/1.5%CBD

2: CANDY DAWG from Seedstockers.
Indica dominant, no other info. (freebie)

3: CINDERELLA XX from Brothers Grimm. (Shout-out to @MysticEpipedon for the hookup on this strain, thanks again!)

4: GRANDMOMMY PURPLE from Herbie's Seeds.
80% Indica/20% Sativa/ 30%+ THC🤯

5: LSD from Barney's Farm.
70% Indica/30% Sativa/ 25%THC 1%CBD.

6: MIMOSA X ORANGE PUNCH from Barney's Farm 65% Indica/ 35% Sativa/ 26-30% THC/ 1% CBD

7: SHAMAN from Dutch Passion.
75% Sativa/ 25% Indica/ 14% THC

8: STRAWBERRY LEMONADE from Barney's Farm. 60% Sativa/40% Indica
24%THC/1% CBD

9: ZOOKIES, which is a cross a friend made. Hybrid, Indica dominant maybe? I dunno it had leaves that were somehow skinny and fat... so let's say hybrid lol.

The Zookies and one of the 2 Cinderella XX will be going to my Dad if he wants them, if not, I'm sure I can find a friend to adopt... 10 plants is too many outside for me to keep up on. I don't want another 10 pound year ffs.

I've already had mites or aphids of some kind on one of the Cinderellas... but I spotted them right away and did a few rounds with Lost Coast Plant Therapy and they are gone... until we get outside and ALL THE PESTS come. One of my houseplants had them too, mystery solved.
I have transplanted once from 4 inch nursery pots to one gallons. I hope to not have to transplant again, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Here's a pic from each week up until last weekend to get up to date. 20230311_124612.jpg20230318_201058.jpg20230326_111611.jpg20230401_100356.jpg(5 weeks ish on transplant day)20230404_084520.jpg20230404_124430.jpg20230404_155326.jpg20230408_104136.jpgTopped everyone except Candy Dawg because it's a short and stout Indica anyway, might top if it catches up. 20230409_124353.jpgSeparated into 2 groups of 5, one under my light therapy fluorescent, one under my Marshydro 600... will swap back and forth if they tolerate it... so that's why they look such different colors. Had an auto under the led, but it got evicted. 20230415_091247.jpg20230415_091257.jpg
As you can see, my start up is also MacGyvered in my closet and spare room... maybe someday I'll have a big girl tent. 🤣
I have approximately one month to prepare my holes, build my soil, map out scrogs and get these gals hardened off for the outdoors. Happy growing folks!

Last edited:
Wow, looks like an amazing summer in store! Your title reminded me of a cool song, crank it up and rock on!

Nice, love me some Sabbath... seen Ozzy like 6 times, once as a Sabbath reunion at an Ozzfest circa 2005... I think it was the 10th anniversary Ozzfest... old man could still rock. I got Tony Iommi's signature that year... but I gifted it to a younger cousin that was getting into metal. I think that was the year Iron Maiden was there too... they rocked out hard... and here I am 38 and need a nap after a strenuous walk. 🤣

I actually got to meet Ozzy at Mile High Stadium one year at a Black Sabbath reunion concert. An autograph was made but I was not able to keep it either....

Loving me some Iron Maiden, hell yea. They wrote my theme song that continually inspires me in my fight against a very wicked illness.

Looking forward to see what you can do with Grandmommy Purple. I'll bet she is just huge and potent.
I actually accidentally broke her stalk last night seeing if I could bend her cause she was getting so damn tall... so I guess she's considered super cropped now... and the answer was no, no you cannot bend her stem that far lol. She put off a straight cat piss smell when I did that. Nothing a little press and seal wrap and some MacGyver shit didn't fix lol. She was significantly taller than everyone else, so oh well. 20230417_124715.jpg
Oh God I need to clean my nasty closet.

I actually got to meet Ozzy at Mile High Stadium one year at a Black Sabbath reunion concert. An autograph was made but I was not able to keep it either....

Loving me some Iron Maiden, hell yea. They wrote my theme song that continually inspires me in my fight against a very wicked illness.

Sorry to hear you're fighting through an illness, I've had much illness and death in my family and circle these past few years. Keep on fighting on!

I'm in on this.
Cliff Claven; " It is a little known fact that when a branch is over bent and a knuckle forms it is actually beneficial and the plant pushes more towards that branch."
I snapped some right over and they turned back up, held a good bud and a lighter!
DSC_0905.JPG

I'm in on this.
Cliff Claven; " It is a little known fact that when a branch is over bent and a knuckle forms it is actually beneficial and the plant pushes more towards that branch."
I snapped some right over and they turned back up, held a good bud and a lighter!
View attachment 526
Yeah I've done it on purpose before when I had plants pop up over thier surroundings and they needed to be hidden... they definitely make a nice knuckle, more strength is always good out in the elements... but I'd rather do it gently and not break the outer skin... poor Grandmommy was leaking so she got bandaged up. Now she's gonna be a weird shape, probably be an interesting scrog lol. I always abuse these poor ladies, I'm not the most delicate gardener lol.

Nice, love me some Sabbath... seen Ozzy like 6 times, once as a Sabbath reunion at an Ozzfest circa 2005... I think it was the 10th anniversary Ozzfest... old man could still rock. I got Tony Iommi's signature that year... but I gifted it to a younger cousin that was getting into metal. I think that was the year Iron Maiden was there too... they rocked out hard... and here I am 38 and need a nap after a strenuous walk. 🤣
Well we are 50’ish and had tics to his last tour before he had to cancel old man can still sing !

Jeez you’re right up my music lane/era ! Megadeath,anthrax,motor breath ect.

Well we are 50’ish and had tics to his last tour before he had to cancel old man can still sing !
That sucks... we had tickets for the Foo Fighters right before Taylor Hawkins died, so sad for him and his family and band family... Poor Dave, two bands now destroyed by death. Foo Fighters were a bucket list band for me, I'll still go see them at some point because Dave Grohl is an amazing musician and I just need to see him live at some point.
I saw Slayer in Montreal, Damageplan opened for them, that was a short time before Dimebag Darryl was killed. Fucking rock stars always be dying.

That sucks... we had tickets for the Foo Fighters right before Taylor Hawkins died, so sad for him and his family and band family... Poor Dave, two bands now destroyed by death. Foo Fighters were a bucket list band for me, I'll still go see them at some point because Dave Grohl is an amazing musician and I just need to see him live at some point.
I saw Slayer in Montreal, Damageplan opened for them, that was a short time before Dimebag Darryl was killed. Fucking rock stars always be dying.
On our list too so talented - sully from godsmack is much the same if ya ever get a chance to see em do it he plays all instruments

On our list too so talented - sully from godsmack is much the same if ya ever get a chance to see em do it he plays all instruments
I've seen Godsmack, 2008 maybe? SPAC in Saratoga. I've seen a ton of bands, I should make a list sometime... seems like another life now, for most of them. Haven't seen anything since Covid, got the itch lol. My friend bought our bestie group tickets for Grace Potter this fall... not one of my top artists, though I do have very eclectic taste in music... but I'm also not going to say no thanks to any free concert lol.

I live about 4 miles from SPAC~!
11s4aa.jpg

You kids and your heavy metal! :ROFLMAO:

I do like going to concerts with bands I'm not super familiar with though... I had a friend buy tickets to the Revivalists a few years ago, I had never even heard of them before the show and now they're one of my favorite bands, also very musically gifted and amazing live. I don't do the autotune artists with no actual talent lol. I like to push my way up front at most shows by pretending to be a dainty little lady and sneaking between people whenever possible... I think I'm too old for the pit at a metal show these days though. 🤣 Here's a cool shot I got of the Revivalist's sax player.Screenshot_20230417_135834_Instagram.jpg

I live about 4 miles from SPAC~!
11s4aa.jpg

You kids and your heavy metal! :ROFLMAO:
I'd be at every concert that was remotely something I would enjoy if I lived that close lol. I've seen Godsmack, Neil Young, Dave Mathews and Willie Nelson at Spac... and all the openers, but who can remember all of those lol.

Saturday was week 8, when this pic was taken. 20230423_190847.jpg
I've moved everyone back into the closet together, the Marshydro light started flickering, and I'm not trying to burn down my house, so the 240 watt light therapy box will have to suffice until we go outside. Few issues already, of course. Fungus gnats, which I think were probably in the mushroom compost that I used in my mix. Going to give an extra long dry period, they've all been going about 5 days between waterings as is, guess I'll let them go till I see wilt to try to kill the fuckers. Topped with diatomaceous earth and added some sticky traps. Have had a few yellowing lower leaves, can't determine if it's just from low light penetration, or an excess of gnats chewing my roots... I'm going with light because it's not really an infestation, just enough to make me wonder. Mostly just the 3 finger first leaves anyway, so not super concerned yet.... all that will come off come scrog time anyway.
The LSD (back left) seems to be showing signs of too much nitrogen, downcurling, dark leaves and slightly toasty tips... maybe it's just sensitive, it is a strong soil mix... maybe she got a bit that wasn't mixed the best. Not really feeding yet as they don't look like they need it. I did a very light seaweed feed after topping, that was weeks ago now. I did add a bit of epsom with the last watering because a couple had a few brown spots on some leaves.
I took everyone to the bathtub and did a nice spray down with lost coast, because odds are the first one didn't kill every last aphid that was on Cinderella XX, though I haven't seen any more, better safe than sorry.
Shaman seemed pissed about being topped, but seems ok now, has not pushed new growth up top, so maybe just a strain that shouldn't be topped... those Sativa doms can be picky.
Done some light lst on a few, Grandmommy Purple by accident, snapped her main stem, wrapped her in press and seal with some aloe, she's healed now and still taller than everyone else with a fraken-stem to boot. Laid a couple down for a few days to encourage upward growth... but now that we're all mushed together, probably just chill on the LST.
Might top or FIM again, not sure yet. We have about a month before we can go out, I might push that up a week depending on how they look, the weather, and if I can get my holes prepped. That's all for now folks.

Jeez you’re right up my music lane/era ! Megadeath,anthrax,motor breath ect.
When I was in the music biz, we went to a pre-screening of Hellraiser 2. They were looking for music for the movie and we were one of the candidates the producers were thinking about using.

I was super excited thinking my music was going to be played on the big screen!!!

Wrong! That bastard Lemmie from Motorhead got with the producers the moment the screening ended and took them out for drinks!😖

IIRC, they got the lead song for the ending credits.

I was lucky enough to meet a lot of high profile musicians along with friends of mine that played with them. My buddy Joey played drums with Danzig, Queens of the Stone Age, etc. Our guitar tech Danny was Bobby Trujillo's bass tech from Ozzie Osbourne/Metallica. My old roommate Judd used to drum tech for a lot of name bands so we would have parties at the loft we lived in in downtown L.A. There would be times where the party had members from Guns 'n Roses, Cypress Hill, Korn, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Tool, etc just hanging out partying with us. I'd just look over the whole scene and think how surreal it all was. Crazy f'ing times!!!

Most folks would have a stroke if they saw what I do to my ladies! You just can’t make folks believe if they herm from sneezing on them their genetics are not the best.
Yeah I've done it on purpose before when I had plants pop up over thier surroundings and they needed to be hidden... they definitely make a nice knuckle, more strength is always good out in the elements... but I'd rather do it gently and not break the outer skin... poor Grandmommy was leaking so she got bandaged up. Now she's gonna be a weird shape, probably be an interesting scrog lol. I always abuse these poor ladies, I'm not the most delicate gardener

Most folks would have a stroke if they saw what I do to my ladies! You just can’t make folks believe if they herm from sneezing on them their genetics are not the best.
The only physical trauma to cannabis plants I've inflicted that caused a problem was picking off too many growing points - topping it too much. I guess the plant thought it was under attack by goats, and better spread its genetics in some other way. It hermied.

But cannabis is completely into bondage. One of my plants even took out a personal ad in the local alternative newspaper, looking for an exciting new grow master, when I let her grow without training or super cropping.

I save most of my torment for when they're in the ground, usually I'd have them trained more but I have too many. I think I'm going to plant most at an angle and spread them out with wire to prep for the scrog... it's a bit of a guessing game outdoors as to when to put it on, cause you're not quite sure how big they're gonna get outside. I was considering putting it lower and just doing more adjustments as it grows, but I'll really need to put in some time if I do it that way. I guess I'll let them grow and decide as I go... I do have 8 different strains, so this could be quality entertainment. 🤣

I save most of my torment for when they're in the ground, usually I'd have them trained more but I have too many. I think I'm going to plant most at an angle and spread them out with wire to prep for the scrog... it's a bit of a guessing game outdoors as to when to put it on, cause you're not quite sure how big they're gonna get outside. I was considering putting it lower and just doing more adjustments as it grows, but I'll really need to put in some time if I do it that way. I guess I'll let them grow and decide as I go... I do have 8 different strains, so this could be quality entertainment. 🤣
i Need to make a scrog out of one of my plants to see what its like. I usually just let them go and reach for the sky. I have to put fencing around each plant to keep deer out . I think i will make something out to lay across the top of the fence. I know this is crude to you but do you think it will work?

i Need to make a scrog out of one of my plants to see what its like. I usually just let them go and reach for the sky. I have to put fencing around each plant to keep deer out . I think i will make something out to lay across the top of the fence. I know this is crude to you but do you think it will work?
Nah man I love to MacGyver shit.
I use the vinyl coated wire fencing with 2x3 openings (I find the stems can get damaged with uncoated metal in direct contact) and the metal hammer in fence posts, with zip ties for added strength. I put the post through the corner square and the wire behind one of the nubs on the post and squeeze it shut with pliers. I add a zip tie through the fencing and one of the holes in the fence post for added strength so they can't move it. I make a few bigger holes with wire cutters so I can get my arms through for maintenance or for bigger branches.

As long as whatever you build will stay put and the plants can't move it, it should work. You could just ziptie More fence to your other deer fence as long as it's stable enough and something that the plants will vibe with, the coated is worth the extra money if you're going with metal, it doesn't rust or piss off the ladies. Or bamboo stakes and zip ties, depending on your style of fence. Anything can work if you're crafty enough. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Nah man I love to MacGyver shit.
I use the vinyl coated wire fencing with 2x3 openings (I find the stems can get damaged with uncoated metal in direct contact) and the metal hammer in fence posts, with zip ties for added strength. I put the post through the corner square and the wire behind one of the nubs on the post and squeeze it shut with pliers. I add a zip tie through the fencing and one of the holes in the fence post for added strength so they can't move it. I make a few bigger holes with wire cutters so I can get my arms through for maintenance or for bigger branches.

As long as whatever you build will stay put and the plants can't move it, it should work. You could just ziptie More fence to your other deer fence as long as it's stable enough and something that the plants will vibe with, the coated is worth the extra money if you're going with metal, it doesn't rust or piss off the ladies. Or bamboo stakes and zip ties, depending on your style of fence. Anything can work if you're crafty enough. 🤷‍♀️
thanks for the coated metal tip, I will get some of that

Let's gooo!
20230518_103115.jpg20230518_104226.jpg20230518_110414.jpg
Finally finished filling the second half of my holes. Made a few tweaks to CannaGranny's dirt recipe, the only mushroom compost I could find was the same nasty stuff that I think is giving me issues and definitely gave me fungus gnats...so I grabbed some Coast of Maine compost and used that instead. Added slightly more compost, slightly less flower girl, and a tad bit of guano. We shall see how she goes.... if it goes sideways, @CannaGranny has no blame cause I changed shit lol.
I have 3 buckets of soil for the holes at the second location and for my pops... Added the full amount of flower girl to that batch because they'll get less love and probably be neglected at times.
Quick shot of the ladies getting some sun, I'll get better pics of each one as I plant them. Yes I realize they're hard to see, that's why I put them there and didn't want to move em again for a photo shoot lol. 20230518_100723.jpg
Beneficial nematodes are en route.
We shall start getting them in the ground after a few days getting acclimated.... or less if I get impatient.

Attachments

• 20230518_100723.jpg
    20230518_100723.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230518_104226.jpg
    20230518_104226.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230518_110414.jpg
    20230518_110414.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230518_103115.jpg
    20230518_103115.jpg