A sneek peek deep into N2's garden thread

IamN2pot

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
Where to start for this thread? Yesterday might be a good place. Yesterday I removed the last male, "Tripod", from some seeds I sprouted. They are/were Haze x Northern Lights #2 (NL#2) hybrid seeds from AGSeedCo.com. I am using RDWC with Jack's 321 nute formula and their feed schedule for cannabis at 1/2 rate and water temp at 69* for one. I'm also using Subcool's Supersoil receipe for a soil grow along side the RDWC for my other gal. My climate controle is AC Infinity 6" inline, AC humidifier, 400w space heater controled by AC smart outlet all controlled by the AC Infiniti 69 Controller. I also have a very similar setup in a 2nd 4x4 tent. One is a 'tall' 8' tent and the other is the regular 6' 6" height. I will be running my Mars Hydro FC-E6500, 730w lamp for this grow. My lung room is my garage.

Yesterday I removed the 4 site RDWC since there was only 1 gal from the 5 seedling I started in that system and installed my 1 site system. I also wanted to switch out my new, 6" exaust fan and 69 controller from the short tent into my tall tent and put my old 6" w. the 67 controller that was in the tall tent. The dimentions on the MH E6500 are only about 10mm smaller than the tent dimentions, so I devised a way to slide the light fixture 1/2 way out for working on the exaust system in the back of the tent. I attached the light hangers to one of the cross bars so it can slide back and forth, in and out. See the pictures.

Yesterday I changed out the nute formula, from the Veg formula to the Bud Set formula (@1/2ppm) for an EC of .9. I reset my light timer to go off at 7PM and thought I was set. I went out to check on things at 7:15 and the lights were still on. CRAP! Checked the timer and when I changed it from 1AM, I screwed up and had it set for 7AM rather than 7PM. Stupid is as stupid does...., so changed it to 7PM, turned out the light and all is good, right? WHY ME??? I got up this morning, went out to check on things and at 6:30, that stupid light is on. WTF!!!. Murphy's Law in full effect! The timer took a dump last night and as best I can tell, turned the light on at midnight, the schedule was AFU and as soon as I unplugged the timer, it went blank. It has a battery in it that obviously also died. Fortunatly, I had another on, so it's working fine now, ...... I think! Geeezzzz
On a good note, I got my AC Infinity T3 humidifier hooked up into the 69 controller. It has a VPD setting, so I figured I'd try it out. SWEET! I set the VPD minimum to 1.2, so as soon as it get drier than 1.2, it kicks the T3 on to raise the humidity. FYI, I've included a screenshot of my current weather conditions today. Note at the bottom of the screenshot, the humidity level, 7%. That's what I'm up against. but it's all good! and WAY better than the issues that arise from humidity being to high!!! I've delt with bud rot, YUCK!!!
Finally, when setting up the RDWC, I decided to do a raised bucket setup. It solved a couple problems for me. First, since I'm only using 1" return lines, I learned from my 'trainer tomato" grow (THANKS @Moe.Red ) that it helps to have things elevated. Both to keep bubbles out of the return lines and it allows me to run all my hoses and airlines through the lower venting ports in the tent, without cutting or modifying the tent. I've also discovered that the raised pots make life alot easier for old, aching backs. :geek:

PICTURES:
Old 4 site RDWC setup (tall tent) and dirt setip (short tent w/ SF4000 lamp) .

IMG_20230411_081207.jpg IMG_20230411_081158.jpg

Prepping my 'raised' RDWC buckets. The #3 pot fit perfectly and snuggly under the 5gal tote buckets.

IMG_20230411_143624.jpg IMG_20230411_143638.jpg

...and the (almost) final build. Outside and inside....

IMG_20230411_181318.jpg IMG_20230411_181353.jpg

Moving/sliding the light fixture 1/2 way out to work on the exaust system behind and above it.
1st picture is of the lamp already 1/2 way outside the tent. and ladder in place to work on exaust.
2nd and 3rd pics are of the hanging bar that I slide with the light hanger ratchets attached, slide it forward and then back to the center of the top of the tent.
IMG_20230412_110315.jpg IMG_20230412_110343.jpg IMG_20230412_110658.jpg

Screenshots of my weather and AC Infinity app. And the completed grow tent setup picture...

Screenshot_2023-04-12-14-29-28-11_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg Screenshot_2023-04-12-14-30-13-77_826b8f3458db3e0bea40bb270dea52ce.jpg Screenshot_2023-04-12-14-31-31-72_826b8f3458db3e0bea40bb270dea52ce.jpg Screenshot_2023-04-12-14-31-48-01_826b8f3458db3e0bea40bb270dea52ce.jpg Screenshot_2023-04-12-14-32-01-84_826b8f3458db3e0bea40bb270dea52ce.jpg

and here she is today, all set up. Hope it produces as nicely as it looks, ...and I can keep the frickin light OFF tonight. :sleep:(y):geek:

IMG_20230412_162838.jpg

Its dry as fuck here all winter too. 15-20% is typical. Takes much longer to proof my bread dough.
Rains everyday starting in may but I didn’t have any rain in march not one drop and less than 1/2” so far this month we have fire warnings here in Florida! Crazy

We're flooding here in the great white north. Water everywhere but it's getting warmer, finally out of the daytime 20's.

Moving into dehumidifier season here. We get a lot of moist air off the west coast, at least that is where I think it comes from.

N2, I think you will find that having all that water in the tent will help with the RH. I learned that lesson one day when I was in doing something and I turned off the inline exhaust fan and forgot to turn it back on. I came back a while later and there was water all over the floor to the tent, I thought I had a leak. Upon closer inspection, the walls were soaked, RH was sitting at 99%, I about shit. Anyhow, no damage done, got it cleaned up and never made that mistake again, lol.

Rains everyday starting in may but I didn’t have any rain in march not one drop and less than 1/2” so far this month we have fire warnings here in Florida! Crazy
I lived in Naples for 8 years after college. Pretty sure my balls were stuck to the inside of my leg the entire time lol. Gotta be the Gold Bond capital of Earth.

We're flooding here in the great white north. Water everywhere but it's getting warmer, finally out of the daytime 20's.

Moving into dehumidifier season here. We get a lot of moist air off the west coast, at least that is where I think it comes from.

N2, I think you will find that having all that water in the tent will help with the RH. I learned that lesson one day when I was in doing something and I turned off the inline exhaust fan and forgot to turn it back on. I came back a while later and there was water all over the floor to the tent, I thought I had a leak. Upon closer inspection, the walls were soaked, RH was sitting at 99%, I about shit. Anyhow, no damage done, got it cleaned up and never made that mistake again, lol.
Nice to see the temp cool down for a few days. Water on the Yellowstone needs to slow down.

Sounds just like the 2nd day I ran it in the dirt tent. Had that bloomen hose attachment on it ran from the top of the humidifier down to lay on the floor. MISTAKE!. The fog puddled on the floor of the tent and eventually ran out on the garage floor and out. WEIRD, finding a flood from a tent that was dirt. o_O

My wife and I were flying into Billings en route to Cody, and we were laid over at O'Hare for 2hrs. I spotted a very weathered old timer in cowboy boots with gnarled up hands waiting in our terminal by himself, so we sat down and started chatting.
Turns out he lived in Montana his whole life, a miner by trade, and was returning home after visiting his sister in Jersey. Just the sweetest old dude. He talked w my wife and I for the entire layover. One of the most interesting and genuine human beings I have ever encountered. Yellowstone was amazing, but frankly I wish we scrapped it and went fishing with old boy instead.

Odd, at least to me. This morning my pH had dropped to 5.2 and the EC from .9 to .7. The pH has been dropping down to 5.6 every day, with the 321 and since I switched it over to the Bloom formula (recomended for 1 week at flip on the feed schedule) it's been dropping more, down to 5.4-5.5. But 5.2 this morning concerned me. Roots are the whitest they've been, water smells earthy, no slime and she's growing like mad.
Today I did some foliage removal from both the ladies. I also potted the first cutting from my bubble rooter and the second, another tripod :rolleyes: popped a root. I can't believe that 'mutation'(?) will hold true for a complete grow, but only one way to see. It's sister got planted today.
FTR: water temp- 69*
EC - .8 (410/500)
pH - 5.8 (and still dropping?)

before and after trimming
IMG_20230414_085230.jpg IMG_20230414_131709.jpg

hydro IMG_20230414_085313.jpg dirt IMG_20230414_085338.jpg

and my little lady getting planted
IMG_20230414_082407.jpg IMG_20230414_082522.jpg IMG_20230414_082748.jpg

pH is still falling. Is this normal? I took reading from both my BlueLab and my Apera pen. I know, the readings don't match and yes, they were both callibrated in the same 7.0 and 4.0 solution. Amyway, the point is how my pH continues to drop. Last evening and into this morning I did reading and adjustments. From the 5.2pH on Friday morning back up to 5.8 took 20ml of my potassuim silicate mix. That is 200gr RO + 10gr potassium silicate, so every 20ml of pH up is 1gr of pot sil in a 6gal system. Since switching to the 10-30-20 Bloom formula, I've added about 3 gr of additional pot-silicate. That on top of the 3.6gr I mixed in initially when making up the new nute soup. She is drinking about 1/2 gal a day. Roots, well see for yourself. They look good to me, but what do I know about DWC roots? little to nothing... 🙃 :unsure: It's also showing some tip burn beginning???? in the pictures. EC is .8

So is this normal for 2-3 days into a nute formula change???

6:15PM pH BL - 5.6 up to BL - 5.8, Apera - 5.93 by adding 10ml pH up
8:00PM pH BL - 5.7, Apera - 5.83
10:10PM pH BL - 5.6, Apera - 5.76 adj up BT - 5.8, Apera - 5.96 by adding 10 ml pH up
6:00AM pH BL - (bouncing between)5.6-5.7, Apera - 5.78
8:00AM pH BL - 5.6, Apera - 5.73 adj up BT - 5.8, Apera - 5.95 by adding 10ml pH up

IMG_20230416_104159.jpg IMG_20230416_104245.jpg
IMG_20230416_104429.jpg IMG_20230416_104511.jpg

pH is still falling. Is this normal? I took reading from both my BlueLab and my Apera pen. I know, the readings don't match and yes, they were both callibrated in the same 7.0 and 4.0 solution. Amyway, the point is how my pH continues to drop. Last evening and into this morning I did reading and adjustments. From the 5.2pH on Friday morning back up to 5.8 took 20ml of my potassuim silicate mix. That is 200gr RO + 10gr potassium silicate, so every 20ml of pH up is 1gr of pot sil in a 6gal system. Since switching to the 10-30-20 Bloom formula, I've added about 3 gr of additional pot-silicate. That on top of the 3.6gr I mixed in initially when making up the new nute soup. She is drinking about 1/2 gal a day. Roots, well see for yourself. They look good to me, but what do I know about DWC roots? little to nothing... 🙃 :unsure: It's also showing some tip burn beginning???? in the pictures. EC is .8

10:10PM pH BL - 5.6, Apera - 5.76 adj up BT - 5.8, Apera - 5.96 by adding 10 ml pH up
8:00AM pH BL - 5.6, Apera - 5.73 adj up BT - 5.8, Apera - 5.95 by adding 10ml pH up

View attachment 434 View attachment 435
View attachment 436 View attachment 437
I’m so glad ur making the water jump before I do , these are all questions I I would ask as well

I’m so glad ur making the water jump before I do , these are all questions I I would ask as well

I left soil for my new mistress, rdwc. Best thing I ever did for my growing my own meds :cool:

Go for it Mosh! Love watching folks see the fruits of such fast gardening the same way I am seeing for myself!

I left soil for my new mistress, rdwc. Best thing I ever did for my growing my own meds :cool:

Go for it Mosh! Love watching folks see the fruits of such fast gardening the same way I am seeing for myself!
Alright talked me into starting anyways - next couple plants I’ll put in rockwool and water by hand - sorta get my feet wet ! Lol not full hydro yet but I think it will force me to learn more about nute uptake

Ok I started reading and was worried when I scrolled down I was gonna see a shit show.

I’m gonna go back up and read but these plants are fine just need a Little fine tuning.

I’m just out with the wife for a bit but when I get home I’ll get to the big screen and answer.

Alright talked me into starting anyways - next couple plants I’ll put in rockwool and water by hand - sorta get my feet wet ! Lol not full hydro yet but I think it will force me to learn more about nute uptake
Me too. For selfish reasons I was to see the performance in your climate.

Your rh will go up because plants transpire more in hydro. It’s what makes them grow faster.

I know that’s a problem for you and I have never worked to tune a hydro system in your environment.

It may not be economical for you if you have to spend money on environmental control

Hydro will handle high temps if you keep the roots cool. I have a chiller I can lend you but that’s another electric drain that adds heat overall. So your lung room has to be somewhat under control with your setup. How’s that new mini split working?

Me too. For selfish reasons I was to see the performance in your climate.

Your rh will go up because plants transpire more in hydro. It’s what makes them grow faster.

I know that’s a problem for you and I have never worked to tune a hydro system in your environment.

It may not be economical for you if you have to spend money on environmental control

Hydro will handle high temps if you keep the roots cool. I have a chiller I can lend you but that’s another electric drain that adds heat overall. So your lung room has to be somewhat under control with your setup. How’s that new mini split working?
New mini not here yet ! Pissed me off - I try to be civic responsible- we buy local both for personal needs and business needs , I do have a sams club membership and an Amazon account but try not to use em ? Lol I know crazy but I believe in keeping ur money close to home. Anyways that sometimes bites ya in the ass ! Lol just mounted a window air until she gets here - I’m gonna pick out some beans tonite and start something ? Lol , the bugs gotta go first! Lol ok rant over and taking over ur thread bro I’ll start my own !

OK bud, on the big screen now, lets take a close look:

I think the roots are fine. IIRC, you recently used Hygrozyme on them, is that right? And you have 2 kinds of bennies. I'm not worried.

Leaves are a tiny bit droopy, have they been awake for a while in this pic? Really not bad, I'm picking fly shit outta pepper here.

Tip burn is not bad at all. But we need to be careful about adding too much Potassium Silicate to bring PH up. You are doing the right thing with PH Up. Excess potassium from the silica can cause tip burn. So no more of that for now.

As your roots get big, you are displacing water. The less water volume you have, the more the PH fluctuates via natural processes.

Please remind me if you have flipped to flower?

OK bud, on the big screen now, lets take a close look:
Please remind me if you have flipped to flower?
Yes, last Thursday. It was after I changed the nutes to the Jack's Bloom formula. The feed schedule calls for 1 week of the 10-30-20 Bloom. Before I changed formula, it was only droping .1-.2 pH per day. Thur night, .6 pH drop and it kept dropping.

Tip burn is not bad at all. But we need to be careful about adding too much Potassium Silicate to bring PH up. You are doing the right thing with PH Up. Excess potassium from the silica can cause tip burn. So no more of that for now.
So, what do I use for pH up?
I have my bottle of GH pH up. That also has some potassium, but it's Potassium Carbonate. I have Earth Juice crystals, they're Potassium Bi-Carobonate (that's how they spelled it, :rolleyes: ) and my lemon juice or citric acid crystals????

IIRC, you recently used Hygrozyme on them, is that right? And you have 2 kinds of bennies
You are correct. I added a full dose of the Hygrozyme about a week before I flipped and changed the nute soup. This soup has Orca and HydroGuard at full stregnth and the Hygrozyme at 1/2 stregnth.

Yup ph up is what you need right now.

Let’s see how they look tomorrow. We need to watch for sorta rust spots on the fan leaves now would be the time a calcium deficiency would occur if it is going to. Ph can play a role in that too.

OK, I'll start using the blue, General Hydro pH Up. The pH is back down to 5.6 and needs more adjusting

As far as rust spots, I had to look real hard to find any rust spots, but I did find a sparse, tiny few. The first 2 picturs are of the worst leaf and where it is on the plant. The second is what the other 98% of the leaves look like.

IMG_20230416_174055.jpg
IMG_20230416_174107.jpg and this other leaf IMG_20230416_174154.jpg

no rust spots and color diff is the camera angle. They are the same color green.
IMG_20230416_174136.jpg

Tips curling down and yellow not white (tips in my last grow were white and curling up not down and i think that was caused by potassium overload)

Looking like possibly nitrogen overload imo and not a potassium issue.

Heading into week 2 and 3 is when i start with the calcium issues.

Screenshot_20230420_033048_Samsung Internet.jpg

Welp, it's been a week, so according to the feed schedule, it's time to switch her back to the 321 feed for all but the last 11-14 days of the bloom.

The week has been a total roller coaster ride. pH just kept dropping. Monday morning it only dropped .2 overnight, so I figured it was stablizing and didn't check it again until 8 that evening. CRAP! 4.6 pH:mad:. Raised it to 5.8. Next morning at 6 it was down to 5.5, so I raised it again. I had to raise it .2 another 5 times Tuesday. Wed morn it was 5.6 and only had to be raised twice on Wed. This morning it was at a steady 5.8. Figures, today I'm supose to change the nute soup again. Oh well, it's all good. No major harm done, at least not to the whole plant. Tuesday morning the tops of some of the tops were, well they looked twisted. Today I can plainly see the damage done to the leaves that were effected by the pH drop. Look at the pictures. My stress levels during this grow, ...wellllllll!!!!!
She's drinking about 1/2 gallon a day and Tuesday I took the green wire to her to slow down the upward growth with some LST. The dirt grow is also drinking aboiut 1/2 a gallon a day and growing beautifully. I have noticed 2 differances in the phenos. Because one is in water and one in dirt, I don't know if the differances are from genes or environmental. I have cuts from both rooting up, so we'll see.
The one in the water has much broader leaves and much smaller bracts and short hairs. The one in soil has thin leaves and the hairs are very long.
First up, the dirt plant.
IMG_20230420_175811.jpg IMG_20230420_175821.jpg IMG_20230420_175905.jpg

...and the water plant, with it's tiny hairs and recent wounds....
IMG_20230420_181102.jpg IMG_20230420_175648.jpg IMG_20230420_175727.jpg IMG_20230420_175735.jpg IMG_20230420_175748.jpg

Back
Top Bottom