Advanced Nutrients in promix

Speedypete

Bud Brawler
Reaction score
Hey Im new and have a question about salt buildup in promix looking for some advice. I just flipped to flower after a 4 week veg. If it looks like my plants are a bit on the lighter side of green doesnt that mean that there isnt a risk of buildup so far? After reading post after post on other sites i dont know what to think. Some say water/feed to runoff… some say not to water/feed to runoff as it washes the buffer out of the medium, some say feed/feed/water will help the plants use up unused nutes in the medium that causes buildup is sufficient. Some say theres no need to flush or water through unless they have been over fed. Im thinking if they look slightly underfed there shouldn’t be any need for runoff. Any input would be appreciated on how people here make salt based nutes work in promix Thanks

This last grow I experimented with running high pH in week 2 right after pistil pop, around 7.5, when I was upping the calcium and magnesium for better uptake. I'm sure the soil buffers brought it down some but it seemed like the girls liked it as I was able to grow a 17 oz plant.

This last grow I experimented with running high pH in week 2 right after pistil pop, around 7.5, when I was upping the calcium and magnesium for better uptake. I'm sure the soil buffers brought it down some but it seemed like the girls liked it as I was able to grow a 17 oz plant.
Everything goes in 6.0-6.3 Surprised to see runoff that low

10 days in flower today and things are looking alright. Doing a fair bit of training to get the space filled up. Seeing the first few pistols appear Cant wait
Once pistils start showing is usually when i stop adjusting things and just let them focus on vertical growth. Once stretch stops i readjust everything to its final position.

Looking really good tho @Speedypete!
Now is when the fun begins 🤩

Once pistils start showing is usually when i stop adjusting things and just let them focus on vertical growth. Once stretch stops i readjust everything to its final position.

Looking really good tho @Speedypete!
Now is when the fun begins 🤩
Thanks lots of good advice and reading on here has helped alot

Just curious, how and when do you weight your plants?

Day 17 of flower today. Seem to be off to kind of a slow start but they are coming along. Water and calmag this morning followed by a fairly heavy defoliation and got rid of some larf. Will see how they progress

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
I just found a piece of metal and bent it in a L shape. Like a bracket one would mount a shelf with and secured it with a hose clamp.
Ok...like an L bracket and you secured it with a hose clamp. Good idea.

Is there a reason you hung it above the canopy? I'm guessing so that you aren't cooking the plants or drying out the pots. Your fan can mix the heated air with your ambient air without directly hitting the plants themselves?

My little heater hangs off the plug so I need to rig up something to secure it permanently. Yours probably has a tip over shut off whereas mine does not so I can position it in any way I want. I liked how I can lay it on the floor and let it heat up the tent but once the canopy fills up I won't be able to do that so I need to figure out a way to secure the plug to a pole or mount surface I fabricate. I still have a piece of the wire shelf I hung on the roof of the tent to mount stuff too so I may use it to mount the heater. Still trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Ok...like an L bracket and you secured it with a hose clamp. Good idea.

Is there a reason you hung it above the canopy? I'm guessing so that you aren't cooking the plants or drying out the pots. Your fan can mix the heated air with your ambient air without directly hitting the plants themselves?

My little heater hangs off the plug so I need to rig up something to secure it permanently. Yours probably has a tip over shut off whereas mine does not so I can position it in any way I want. I liked how I can lay it on the floor and let it heat up the tent but once the canopy fills up I won't be able to do that so I need to figure out a way to secure the plug to a pole or mount surface I fabricate. I still have a piece of the wire shelf I hung on the roof of the tent to mount stuff too so I may use it to mount the heater. Still trying to figure out the best way to do that.
Yes My circulation fans are mounted on the roof blowing straight down so it mixes air as thats where the heat wants to go. The fans also cool the bars on the led hoping it might last a bit longer ☮️

Yes My circulation fans are mounted on the roof blowing straight down so it mixes air as thats where the heat wants to go. The fans also cool the bars on the led hoping it might last a bit longer ☮️
Its cold here now and snowing today so the woodstove is lit. Heater is just for backup and the fire is sure helping to not have to run the dehue so much

A comment........plants generally do not like movement of the ppm or pH. For overall health and best results, it's best to lock in for a period and not fluctuate but that's just my suggestion........

One other thing with defoliation, the process definitely is stressful to the plant and it normally they take a few days to recover. i've found its best to defoliate before buds begin to form (do the heaviest defoliation here) and then lesser ones every two 2 after that. But, do not defoliate in the period of heaviest bud growth, maybe weeks 4-6, or their size will suffer.

Please take nothing I say as the way and the light or as the best possible way.

However back when I started this hobby an ole head taught me that plants should not be fed watered fed or watered fed watered or any other combination of feed and water.

Instead lower the ppm/ec/concentration of the feed water by x=pie R squared plus 500% minus 3000% and everything will work great. Or that’s what it sounded like to me. Haha

Anyways what he was trying to tell me that took a minute or week to figure out was that the plant will do better no matter the grow medium or style with a consistent amount of anything. So instead of Feed 1.5 ec, Feed 1.5 ec, water 0.0 ec. His advice was add the feed +feed+ water ec together and you arrive at 3.0 total ec in a three day period. So feed 1.0ec three straight days is the same as 1.5 +1.5 + 0.0 over three days and as he taught me all ladies in general prefer consistency!

I hope that rambling makes sense!

Peace

Please take nothing I say as the way and the light or as the best possible way.

However back when I started this hobby an ole head taught me that plants should not be fed watered fed or watered fed watered or any other combination of feed and water.

Instead lower the ppm/ec/concentration of the feed water by x=pie R squared plus 500% minus 3000% and everything will work great. Or that’s what it sounded like to me. Haha

Anyways what he was trying to tell me that took a minute or week to figure out was that the plant will do better no matter the grow medium or style with a consistent amount of anything. So instead of Feed 1.5 ec, Feed 1.5 ec, water 0.0 ec. His advice was add the feed +feed+ water ec together and you arrive at 3.0 total ec in a three day period. So feed 1.0ec three straight days is the same as 1.5 +1.5 + 0.0 over three days and as he taught me all ladies in general prefer consistency!

I hope that rambling makes sense!

Peace
Hey thanks guys Interesting So even with salt based nutrients, if i find the balance where the EC of the run off is close to the feed Ec i wont need to water through so much or flush. I like the sounds of this. So many reads out there including the nutrient companies suggesting high Ec which just seems to lead to more problems. I am going to try this. Thanks Sshz and LJFarming

Hey thanks guys Interesting So even with salt based nutrients, if i find the balance where the EC of the run off is close to the feed Ec i wont need to water through so much or flush. I like the sounds of this. So many reads out there including the nutrient companies suggesting high Ec which just seems to lead to more problems. I am going to try this. Thanks Sshz and LJFarming
EC/PPM is really also tied to the temperature and humidity of your grow environment. This is where the Vapor Pressure Deficit or VPD needs to also be taken into consideration. If you are running with Temps of say 85 Degrees and 75 percent RH your plants will not be taking up as much water. In this sort of a situation your PPM would need to be higher than running the same grow at 81 and 45 percent RH. The difference is caused by the plants transpiration. This is one of the reasons nutrient suppliers recommend High EC/PPM. To put it into simple terms, let's say you needed to get 200 calories into your body. You could drink 8oz of sugar water or add 24oz of water to the same 8oz of sugar water. You are getting the same calories in both situations. Just more water which if you are running lower temps and humidity the plant needs. You have to balance things to optimize plant growth and yield. It is not just do this and get that.

EC/PPM is really also tied to the temperature and humidity of your grow environment. This is where the Vapor Pressure Deficit or VPD needs to also be taken into consideration. If you are running with Temps of say 85 Degrees and 75 percent RH your plants will not be taking up as much water. In this sort of a situation your PPM would need to be higher than running the same grow at 81 and 45 percent RH. The difference is caused by the plants transpiration. This is one of the reasons nutrient suppliers recommend High EC/PPM. To put it into simple terms, let's say you needed to get 200 calories into your body. You could drink 8oz of sugar water or add 24oz of water to the same 8oz of sugar water. You are getting the same calories in both situations. Just more water which if you are running lower temps and humidity the plant needs. You have to balance things to optimize plant growth and yield. It is not just do this and get that.
Thank you I have read up on this a bit
Currently: Coming up on wk 3

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Anthem is guaranteed speaking 110% truth because without BALANCE no matter what you change can help or hurt.

This is why only runs under your belt and experience will teach you how to dial your grow in. Every grow environment/room is different so what works for someone else may be terrible for your grow.

Sorry to be a broken record but runs under your belt is the best knowledge at the end of the day!

Looks good!
Thanks man. Working at trying to dial these in a bit. Runoff has been saying i can drop Ec a bit. Feeding around 1.5 at the moment thinking i can come down more yet. Leaf temp seems to be dropping as i lower ppm. Started using 1/4 strength big bud this week. Last feed was a flush. Will feed around 700ppm next feed and see. Thank you everyone for thier input.

Hey Im new and have a question about salt buildup in promix looking for some advice. I just flipped to flower after a 4 week veg. If it looks like my plants are a bit on the lighter side of green doesnt that mean that there isnt a risk of buildup so far? After reading post after post on other sites i dont know what to think. Some say water/feed to runoff… some say not to water/feed to runoff as it washes the buffer out of the medium, some say feed/feed/water will help the plants use up unused nutes in the medium that causes buildup is sufficient. Some say theres no need to flush or water through unless they have been over fed. Im thinking if they look slightly underfed there shouldn’t be any need for runoff. Any input would be appreciated on how people here make salt based nutes work in promix Thanks

Hello, sorry I missed your introduction. I find my phones not the greatest for catching everything.

I use Sunshine Mix #4 soil which is similar to ProMix ATM. I also use Botanicare Kind nutrients which have salts.

I feed every watering and try to stop so I only have less than 500ml runoff. Usually around 300ml.

I don’t flush my soil unless I want to clean it at the end before or after harvest. So I can reuse it for vegetables in the garden.

I’ve also seen salt buildup in the soft pots after harvest when I wash them. Nothing crazy but needs to be cleaned.

I couldn’t find anymore of my soul so got the ProMix for when I run out. Pretty close match.

At least a dozen or two experts here. Already at three pages of replies so I’m sure you’re well on your way.

Best of luck.

Zen

Back
Top Bottom