PH Levels for Cannabis Explained by Aqua Man

OK I'm going to do my best to explain PH since its something that is for the most part greatly misunderstood and can be confusing to new growers and even experienced growers alike. This will explain why we need both ppm and PH meters to give us informed information about PH

This will be a simple guide leaving out a lot of information. So lets get started with a couple of definitions to help you understand.

What is PH?​

PH is a measurement of how alkaline or acid a solution is based on measuring hydrogen ions. It tells us nothing more than the ratio of acidic to alkaline elements. It does not tell us how much of each the solution contains or the alkalinity of the water.

pH at it's core is a measure of the relative amount of free hydrogen and hydroxyl ions ratio. Ie H+ verses OH-. Quantified in molar mass

The pH scale is logarithmic and inversely indicates the activity of hydrogen ions in the solution.

So each, 0.1 increments is either double or half the concentration.... pH 7 to 8 would be a 10x fold increase in OH- ions

Whereas pH 7 to 5 would be a 100x fold increase of H+

pH=−log⁡(H+)≈−log⁡([H+])

Sulfuric hydrogen ion is a great 👍 acidic H+ anchor; Potassium hydroxide is a useful source for the hydroxyl OH- component. But both need to be tightly controlled. ( Contributed by @Franksta )

What is alkalinity?​

Alkalinity is the measurement of the waters buffering capacity (ability to neutralize acids). Its the total amount of carbonate and bicarbonate in the water that affects its ability to resist change to PH. If you know the alkalinity you can actually calculate the amount of acid of varying types needed to reach your target PH but we wont get into that.

So now we have a basic understanding of the difference lets get into some examples of source water and how alkalinity will affect PH.

RO and Distilled water​

Ro and Distilled water is very low in mineral content containing carbonate or bicarbonate sources, we know this because if we test the ppm its usually under 40 and as low as 0ppm. This means it has a very low alkalinity (ability to neutralize acids) and is easily influenced by anything added that's acidic. But likewise it does not contain acid and is easily influenced by anything added that's basic. This results in a very unstable PH that can be easily influenced by anything added or anything its added to. In hydro the ideal ppm of carbonate/bicarbonate sources to provide an adequate buffer will be 50-100ppm with 75ppm being the target. Less than this and PH may swing to fast and be unstable, more and it will not drift enough and will require too much acid that could affect nutrient ratio's negatively depending on the acid used. By adding alkalinity and then acid we provide a more stable PH because adding more of either will have less impact on the overall ratio of acidic to basic elements

When used in hydro it should have alkalinity (a buffer) added back to prevent wild PH swings. Any source of carbonates, bicarbonates, silicates or hydroxides will work to create alkalinity. Sources i would recommend would be calcium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate (commonly sold as PH up) and finally what i would consider the best option is potassium silicate as it is a source of potassium and silica which are both excellent for cannabis. When using RO or distilled you will want to add back some calcium and magnesium if your nutrients are not designed for RO/distilled water as that's usually what Ro filters are removing for the majority. But most cal/mag is in the form of nitrate and provides no alkalinity (buffering capacity) so adding one of the previously mentioned or other is still a must.

When used in soil this unstable PH is actually IMO beneficial if you have a pre buffered soil (which you should) This means the water will have no impact on the PH potential (more on this later) of the soil and will almost instantly be influenced by the soil to the take on the PH of the soil makeup. This is why i feel we do not need to be PHing our nutrient solution for soil grows (unlike soiless and hydro). The soil is what will adjust the PH of our nutrient solution.

Tap Water​

OK we all know tap water varies a lot form place to place and I will explain the basics of how to determine if your tap water is suitable or not for use. First we want the PPM and second we want the makeup of that ppm if available. Generally speaking the majority of the PPM makeup will be calcium carbonate. This is used to buffer the water supply and prevent acidic conditions that erode the coatings and will break down piping and leach them into the water supply such a lead (Flint Michigan ring a bell?) So we can generally assume the majority of the PPM in tap water is likely calcium carbonate but also some others like magnesium, sulfur, phospahte, iron etc. So if you have a ppm of 100-200ppm you can assume roughly 50-75% of that is calcium carbonate. Remember our target is 75ppm carbonate/bicarbonate sources to provide an ideal alkalinity (hope we are starting to see how import alkalinity is and we can't just go by PH) Now there are some cases when some sodium may be used such as sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda (can also be used as a buffer in a pinch but not recommended as a long term option) so we can google our local water report and see the makeup of the ppm in the water.

Soil PH potential​

Now when we buy a prebufferd soil like most of the ones we use they come "Prebuffered" (alkalinity adjusted) what does this mean? This means the company has added amendments that when water is added the resulting PH of the water in the soil will be in a favorable range for growing our plants. Often times peat is used to lower PH and lime is used to raise PH in these soils. Just like in water we want to control the alkalinity (buffering capacity) of the soil to have a stable PH that is not easily influenced by adding things such as nutrients or other. Unlike hydro and soiless where we control the alkalinity (buffering capacity) of the water by adding it directly to the water it is applied to the soil. Which brings me back to my point of we don't need to PH our nutrient solution in soil because the soil provides the buffering and will adjust the PH. Now things like lime and peat break down slowly over time and only soluble elements will impact PH so this is how they control the PH in soil over long periods of time, because it breaks down slowly and only a small amount is soluble at a time its unlikely after a grow it has been depleted. But if we are reusing the soil we should be looking at re amending the buffering capacity before using again to ensure there is enough to last through the next grow. Often times farmers will do this once a year before seeding crops.

Effects of nutrients and source water on PH​

First the PH down acids we use tend to break down much faster than the alkaline sources we use in both hydro and soil. This is one reason we see a hydro systems PH generally rise over time unless something is creating more acid like decaying roots in which case we may actually see PH going down. Typically a PH increase of 0.2 in a 24 hr period is desirable and by adjusting the alkalinity we can control the PH drift. In the case of soil the acids used to bring PH down before feeding break down quickly and the alkaline and acidic buffer we have created minimizes the impact so they are really of not much benefit and have virtually no impact on long term PH potential of the soil. This is why we can't use them to lower high soil PH once we have an alkaline source buildup. However in hydro and coco PHing the nutrient solution is important because unlike soil there is not an adequate buffer established although in coco it is possible to do so.
Generally speaking the ratio's of nutrients we use will be acidic so when we get a buildup of nutrients we will almost always see PH drop. This is where you often hear ppl say flush the media. What this does is dilutes the dissolved elements and will remove some from the media in runoff. Another factor that contributes to PH changes are tge sources of nitrogen used. Ammoniacal nitrogen can cause PH in media to drop. This is due to the release of h+ ions from ion exchange. Whereas Nitrate nitrogen does the opposite and will cause PH in the media to rise when taken up by the plants.

Conversely a water source with high alkalinity can build up in the media and cause the PH potential of the soil to rise over time and in turn the PH of the water added to it. This is the reason we should look at the alkalinity of the water source not the PH as PH cannot measure the potential influence but rather only result.

Often in both circumstances its a good idea to flush the media to remove excess amount of available elements that may be affecting the PH negatively.

I'm gonna stop there and if anyone has questions i will do my best to answer them. If you have something you would like to add please do.

Aqua Man

Last edited:
Very though. The only thing that I can add right now is expand the pH definition possibly

pH at it's core is a measure of the relative amount of free hydrogen and hydroxyl ions ratio. Ie H+ verses OH-. Quantified in molar mass

The pH scale is logarithmic and inversely indicates the activity of hydrogen ions in the solution.

So each, 0.1 increments is either double or half the concentration.... pH 7 to 8 would be a 10x fold increase in OH- ions

pH=−log⁡(H+)≈−log⁡([H+])

Sulfuric hydrogen ion is a great 👍 acidic H+ anchor; Potassium hydroxide is a useful source for the hydroxyl OH- component. But both need to be tightly controlled

Last edited:
Very though. The only thing that I can add right now is expand the pH definition possibly

pH=−log⁡(H+)≈−log⁡([H+])

Sulfuric hydrogen ion is a great 👍 acidic H+ anchor; Potassium hydroxide is a useful source for the hydroxyl OH- component. But both need to be tightly controlled

pH=−log⁡(H+)≈−log⁡([H+])

You ok if i replace the description in the first post and add your contribution? I agree yours gives a more thorough explination

Last edited:

pH=−log⁡(H+)≈−log⁡([H+])

I've never seen this tidbit, nor that pH equation, neat.

Gotta dive deep for this information it seems, so, much appreciated.

Last edited:
This subject gives rise to another chemical and biological subject of importance. Specifically the production of ATP and rise of cellular enzymes... Enabling intracellular function

Oxidative phosphorylation is the production of ATP using energy derived from the transfer of electrons in an electron transport system and occurs by chemiosmosis. An atom of hydrogen contains only one proton (H+) and one electron. Electrons have stored energy, or potential energy, ready to do work.

The flow of electrons through the electron transport chain is an exergonic process. The energy from the redox reactions creates an electrochemical proton gradient that drives the synthesis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). In aerobic respiration, the flow of electrons terminates with molecular oxygen as the final electron acceptor. In anaerobic respiration, other electron acceptors are used, such as sulfate.

So you can see from above how critical having pH and ppm properly dialed become crucial at this bottleneck in the biological process.

I would even expect to throw element ratios; Temp; humidity and VDP and Air flow all in the very same boat

Screenshot_20230517-131219.png

Last edited:
Lots of advance science emerging on H+ion specific along cell membranes and how water; oxygen; hydrogen; co2 is interchangeable in the process....

How to optimize

Think along the lines of less powerful batteries or solar to chemical energy storage reservoir. Especially in the case of alkaloid production...

Supercharger of electrons when the environment is dialed precisely...

Element start to self assemble
There's like over 18 species of water 💦💦 alone with different configuration and angle of bond

Dihydrogen oxide AKA water or H2O is the most studied substance on earth 🌎

Think of water and it's qualities... As a catalyst and pH is one of the tuning dials... Same thing with ppm and temperature

Last edited:
That's where things like nutrient ratio and precursor element coming into play IMO.

Dial that developmentally correct in the various timeline stages

If conditions are optimal. A true kind of living water is created

Please 🙏 feel free to correct any redundant; ommissions or mistakes.

Don't mean to hijack 😆

Last edited:
Lots of advance science emerging on H+ion specific along cell membranes and how water; oxygen; hydrogen; co2 is interchangeable in the process....

How to optimize

Think along the lines of less powerful batteries or solar to chemical energy storage reservoir. Especially in the case of alkaloid production...

There's like over 18 species of water 💦💦 alone with different configuration and angle of bond

Think of water and it's qualities... As a catalyst and pH is one of the tuning dials... Same thing with ppm and temperature
keep dropping the knowledge, much appreciated.

• Deleted by Franksta
  • Reason: Redundant
Show…
keep dropping the knowledge, much appreciated.
Keep me on point brother cause I, my attention drifts very easily lol 😆 and I jumbled my thoughts sometimes

The real wisdom is giving information people actually need to get expanded understanding. Ie using proper vernacular or terms that are easily understood and conveyed readily to virtually everyone interested

Efficient concise communication's

Rome isn't built-in a day

Last edited:
I need to read this over a few times to try and understand the relationships all of these components have in the overall makeup of reactions.

Excellent write up!!!(y)
So yeah 👍 reactions... Infinte ♾️ subject and sometimes complicated

But I can help and do some of the maths if required

That said solutions like acids and there are many good and bad choices I've discovered just by trial and error and a little educated guessing...

IMO anything that helps organisms thrive is potentially beneficial if it's remaining bioavailable. Stable in vitro

simple molecules are ideal
Also, If it's beneficial for human and plants alike..

GABA, small bits of ascorbic acid... Fruit or vegetable acids like pepper or lavender... In Isolated and concentrate forms.. amines... Some Sugars like sucrose, trellulose or d ribose. Vitamin b all types... Enzymes and hormones. . Like tricontolol... Too much to list.

The real key here is making good selection and ratios cause we're talking millimolar traces in some cases

These choices also where biological process like nitrification and fungal component become subdivided and divergent paths to success

Keeping that pH stable is a key component for everything and nitrification is the bane of hydroponic.... As many already know. . However it's central to organics. So substrate and particulars really come into play...

Last edited:

How to optimize

Can you deep dive into “18 species of water”?
I can’t wrap my brain around this yet and find it potentially fascinating.
thank you

Can you deep dive into “18 species of water”?
I can’t wrap my brain around this yet and find it potentially fascinating.
thank you
Yeah so most water is standard. But both elements have known isotopes that can change the angle and length of trajectory and rotation

300px-H2O_2D_labelled.svg.png

Heavy water is 10.6% denser than ordinary water, and heavy water's physically different properties can be seen without equipment if a frozen sample is dropped ...

Last edited:
So armed with this information and knowing that a dehydration reaction is a form of biochemical reaction wherein a water molecule is lost or removed from the reacting molecules... The reverse results in synthesis of H20....

Plus our understanding of process like solubility and concentration and element ratios

We can BEND or TUNE water to our environmental specifications with our other elements.... But fluids are dynamic and there's a gradient interaction towards the plants roots.... A flow of ions

Last edited:
I guess my point is that your solution should be looked at like an environment in and of itself....

It's like an ecosystem that we can only see in our minds eyes 👀 with measured input. I look at things like foaming and the thickness of the soups... The QUALITY

Keeping environmentals and inputs dialed appropriate for development stage is literally the Grail of everything IMO

Water in all it's many forms is a huge part of the equation. Humidity.... VDP the intracellular fluid...it's not just happening in the root zone

Surface tension is something I look at also

The surface tension of water is about 72 mN/m at room temperature which is one of the highest surface tension for liquid

At liquid–air interfaces, surface tension results from the greater attraction of liquid molecules to each other (due to cohesion) than to the molecules in the air (due to adhesion).

There are two primary mechanisms in play. One is an inward force on the surface molecules causing the liquid to contract. Second is a tangential force parallel to the surface of the liquid. This tangential force is generally referred to as the surface tension. The net effect is the liquid behaves as if its surface were covered with a stretched elastic membrane. But this analogy must not be taken too far as the tension in an elastic membrane is dependent on the amount of deformation of the membrane while surface tension is an inherent property of the liquidair or liquidvapour interface.

So spreadability and gas transfer is interesting bottleneck IMO. If we tune our water so the water can naturally hold optimum gas content and cover more surface areas...

But with only compound that's neutral or beneficial to the plants themselves....

Last edited:
I would like to flesh out the details on buffers in Hydroponics. Started a conversation with @Aqua Man in a grow thread, but probably need to move it here.

I am in search of the best practices for buffer establishment in RDWC. I have been using Potassium Silicate for years now, and it seems to work well to keep PH stable, in conjunction with PH down upon initial res setup. Then over time, the PH tends to fall and needs to be brought back up with more Potassium Silicate (pre-diluted) in Veg and first couple of weeks of flower, then switch to PH up for the end of flower to minimize silica.

There is a website called science in hydroponics that addresses these questions in detail, but not in a succinct way. I would like to dive into the chemistry a bit deeper, and perhaps do some bench testing to verify what we believe. You guys seem like the ones to help me.

So what is the best PH buffer / methodology for hydro?

I have these strips with GH, KH, and PH if we want to try an experiment. I'm also going to get some AgSil 16H on order

Edit, AgSil on order. I no longer have the label for the Potassium Silicate I have, so need to start with a known.

Last edited:
So for my first trick, here is what I am going to do tonight.

1 L RO water
Use a test strip - should be all 0's

Potassium Silicate to 10 PH
let it set for 24 hours on the magnetic stir plate.

Use a test strip looking at KH primarily

Add PH down to 5.8

Stir for 24 hours

Test strip.

Show and tell. What is your prediction?

Anything else I should throw at this?

I will repeat with Agsil when it arrives.

I would like to flesh out the details on buffers in Hydroponics. Started a conversation with @Aqua Man in a grow thread, but probably need to move it here.

I am in search of the best practices for buffer establishment in RDWC. I have been using Potassium Silicate for years now, and it seems to work well to keep PH stable, in conjunction with PH down upon initial res setup. Then over time, the PH tends to fall and needs to be brought back up with more Potassium Silicate (pre-diluted) in Veg and first couple of weeks of flower, then switch to PH up for the end of flower to minimize silica.

There is a website called science in hydroponics that addresses these questions in detail, but not in a succinct way. I would like to dive into the chemistry a bit deeper, and perhaps do some bench testing to verify what we believe. You guys seem like the ones to help me.

So what is the best PH buffer / methodology for hydro?

I have these strips with GH, KH, and PH if we want to try an experiment. I'm also going to get some AgSil 16H on order

Edit, AgSil on order. I no longer have the label for the Potassium Silicate I have, so need to start with a known.
Is this what you were using? It what i was using also at the reco of aqua about 4 years ago but i couldn't be sure that it would stay suspended to use with my auto doser Screenshot_20230601-133704_Amazon Shopping.jpg

So for my first trick, here is what I am going to do tonight.

1 L RO water
Use a test strip - should be all 0's

Potassium Silicate to 10 PH
let it set for 24 hours on the magnetic stir plate.

Use a test strip looking at KH primarily

Add PH down to 5.8

Stir for 24 hours

Test strip.

Show and tell. What is your prediction?

Anything else I should throw at this?

I will repeat with Agsil when it arrives.
I would add based on ppm instead of PH because once the ph reaches the max for the compiund it wont increase anymore but the concentration will meaning you could have 100ppm of potassium silicate or 1000ppm and the ph woukd be the same

I would add based on ppm instead of PH because once the ph reaches the max for the compiund it wont increase anymore but the concentration will meaning you could have 100ppm of potassium silicate or 1000ppm and the ph woukd be the same
Yeah, I can do that. But max PH is over 12, so I thought I was leaving room. 10 because beyond that the readings become meaningless.

I'll measure precisely and let you know.

Yeah, I can do that. But max PH is over 12, so I thought I was leaving room. 10 because beyond that the readings become meaningless.

I'll measure precisely and let you know.
If you add 100ppm of each to seperate 1gal or same and test the buffering capacity of each by using equal volumes and adding 1 drop at a time recording results o think that would gove exactly the information we are after

Back
Top Bottom