All things shrooms

@Aqua Man

Amino Acids: Honey contains a wide range of amino acids, including both essential and non-essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are those that the human body cannot produce on its own and must be obtained through diet. Some of the essential amino acids found in honey include:
  • Leucine
  • Isoleucine
  • Valine
  • Phenylalanine
  • Threonine
  • Lysine
  • Methionine
  • Tryptophan <--------------------
  • Histidine

thought this was interesting.

I'll attempt to pasteurize another jar soon, and grow some grains in.

Perhaps when it's fully colonized.

The bigger the colony, the more it can resist (?)

Attachments

• VID_20230802_231340253.mp4
    13.5 MB
@Aqua Man

Amino Acids: Honey contains a wide range of amino acids, including both essential and non-essential amino acids. Essential amino acids are those that the human body cannot produce on its own and must be obtained through diet. Some of the essential amino acids found in honey include:
  • Leucine
  • Isoleucine
  • Valine
  • Phenylalanine
  • Threonine
  • Lysine
  • Methionine
  • Tryptophan <--------------------
  • Histidine

thought this was interesting.
Think it may be a bit to inviting for bacteria and not sure how much it contains. But something to maybe consider trying

Think it may be a bit to inviting for bacteria and not sure how much it contains. But something to maybe consider trying
Yea was wondering how accurate it is as that's from chatgpt, probably negligible.

I agree it's inviting as it's sugars, was thinking about it using a few mLs per solution for the antioxidants and acids etc it can possibly offer to the plant.

Was wondering how it would work with hypo acid and h2o2, and or if those would take care of the "invitation"

And then saw it also contains trypto

Almost fully enveloped

How long do you think this can set around? Will it be safe to slow it's metabolism to place in fridge if I need the time?

Attachments

• VID_20230803_115329637.mp4
    29.6 MB
Hey all, I hope everything is going well ...

@Aqua Man or @tobh after spending top dollar for the rye berry bags, I'd like to switch to making my own. It seems to be much cheaper. I already have the extra large insta-pot capable of canning up to 6 quart jars. I'm about to purchase some wide mouth lids with filter and injection ports. I'm also looking at rye berry grain. How many quart jars will 1 5lb bag of grain fill?

Is rye berry grain my best choice? Is there a better substrate for spawning? I realize this answer will change depending on what's being grown. I'm thinking about ordering Psilocybe Natalensis and Ablino Rip-tide syringes and I'll be trying my hand with "home-made" at that time.

@Aqua Man or @tobh after spending top dollar for the rye berry bags, I'd like to switch to making my own. It seems to be much cheaper. I already have the extra large insta-pot capable of canning up to 6 quart jars. I'm about to purchase some wide mouth lids with filter and injection ports. I'm also looking at rye berry grain. How many quart jars will 1 5lb bag of grain fill?

Is rye berry grain my best choice? Is there a better substrate for spawning? I realize this answer will change depending on what's being grown. I'm thinking about ordering Psilocybe Natalensis and Ablino Rip-tide syringes and I'll be trying my hand with "home-made" at that time.
can't answer the volume that a 5lb bag will produce. i've historically used WBS instead, but am switching to rye as it seems to be the perfect compromise between WBS that is full of uber small grains (more inoculation points) vs popcorn (cheapest grain option).

What I can say is if you can get it from a farm/feed store you'll save quite a bit of money vs ordering online. The rye I've found on amazon almost all comes from myco suppliers and they charge a hobby tax on what should be a fairly cheap grain.

Any grain will work for the most part. Given you won't be fruiting on it as your primary substrate, its whole purpose is to provide enough nutrition to build a healthy mycelial network that then gets spawned to some kind of substrate. Rye has really taken favor over other grain because of its uniformity and ease of preparation. 10/10 recommend learning to make your own spawn, though. It'll save you hundreds or thousands of dollars over the long term.

can't answer the volume that a 5lb bag will produce. i've historically used WBS instead, but am switching to rye as it seems to be the perfect compromise between WBS that is full of uber small grains (more inoculation points) vs popcorn (cheapest grain option).

What I can say is if you can get it from a farm/feed store you'll save quite a bit of money vs ordering online. The rye I've found on amazon almost all comes from myco suppliers and they charge a hobby tax on what should be a fairly cheap grain.

Any grain will work for the most part. Given you won't be fruiting on it as your primary substrate, its whole purpose is to provide enough nutrition to build a healthy mycelial network that then gets spawned to some kind of substrate. Rye has really taken favor over other grain because of its uniformity and ease of preparation. 10/10 recommend learning to make your own spawn, though. It'll save you hundreds or thousands of dollars over the long term.

I looked on Amazon. 5lb bag will run you around $19.00 +/- a bit depending on where you buy it from. I agree ... my thoughts, although affordable ... expensive for what it is. What type of stores would possibly carry it locally? Krogers maybe?

Many ppl ise wild bird see but i prefer rye berries…. Its kind of the gold standard but definitely not the only one. Many use WBS, varying types of wheat, millet and many other grains.

Personally i do t think the instapot will be as effective as a pressure cooker but i could be wrong. I think the time will need to be extended.

With rye berries if i fill a 1 quart jar to the brim with dry rye berries it makes about 3 jars almost 3/4 full. Which is how much i use to do my grain transfers normally.

Look for a local connection because in canada i can get a 50lb bag for $40-50 that will do 100+ jars of spawn.

Im have a deal up here where i get mine free going forward but even if you order o line like i have to and pay more for shipping than the grain thats still at ($120 for 50lb shipped) well over 100qt of spawn. Thats an immense amount of mushrooms. Depending on genetics… with the PE i have will produce over 10lbs i think.

It’s absolutely pays huge to make your own

Many ppl ise wild bird see but i prefer rye berries…. Its kind of the gold standard but definitely not the only one. Many use WBS, varying types of wheat, millet and many other grains.

Personally i do t think the instapot will be as effective as a pressure cooker but i could be wrong. I think the time will need to be extended.

With rye berries if i fill a 1 quart jar to the brim with dry rye berries it makes about 3 jars almost 3/4 full. Which is how much i use to do my grain transfers normally.

Look for a local connection because in canada i can get a 50lb bag for $40-50 that will do 100+ jars of spawn.

Im have a deal up here where i get mine free going forward but even if you order o line like i have to and pay more for shipping than the grain thats still at ($120 for 50lb shipped) well over 100qt of spawn. Thats an immense amount of mushrooms. Depending on genetics… with the PE i have will produce over 10lbs i think.

It’s absolutely pays huge to make your own

I could be wrong about the insta-pot myself but it seems to do a good job canning jellys and preserves. That's something my wife likes to do sometimes. It has a high pressure setting and a low pressure setting. What I don't know is precisely how much pressure high pressure is.

I suppose I could buy an old fashioned pressure canner if I need to but my stove is a glass top electric and I'm not real keen on a heavy pot jiggling on the glass. I've heard stories of broken glass on glass top stoves during the canning process.

WBS you can often get 25-50lb bags damaged for like $5-10. But you need to make sure you either get no su flower seeds or remove them. Also the cracked corn i don’t like.

Rye is just very consistent and forgiving i find. Really easy to get the proper hydration

I could be wrong about the insta-pot myself but it seems to do a good job canning jellys and preserves. That's something my wife likes to do sometimes. It has a high pressure setting and a low pressure setting. What I don't know is precisely how much pressure high pressure is.

I suppose I could buy an old fashioned pressure canner if I need to but my stove is a glass top electric and I'm not real keen on a heavy pot jiggling on the glass. I've heard stories of broken glass on glass top stoves during the canning process.
I use a 22qt PC on my glass top with no issues. Because of the time to PC its a really pita to do small batches. I can do 6-9 jars in mine at one time

I use a 22qt PC on my glass top with no issues. Because of the time to PC its a really pita to do small batches. I can do 6-9 jars in mine at one time
I'm limited to 6. I do have a much larger hot water bath canner that we've used for canning pickles. Due to all the vinegar, most pickles do fine in a hot water bath. I'm not sure how well a hot water bath would do as an "autoclave." It might take a lot longer for sterile grains.

I'm limited to 6. I do have a much larger hot water bath canner that we've used for canning pickles. Due to all the vinegar, most pickles do fine in a hot water bath. I'm not sure how well a hot water bath would do as an "autoclave." It might take a lot longer for sterile grains.
Yeah it will… you need to hit that 15 psi for 90 min. It can absolutely be done the ways your asking about i just can’t give you a definitive answer on time periods for tgose

Geta chance to test out your harvest yet?

Yeah it will… you need to hit that 15 psi for 90 min. It can absolutely be done the ways your asking about i just can’t give you a definitive answer on time periods for tgose
I believe my instapot will hold 15 psi. That's a common canning pressure. A couple weeks ago, I used it to sterilize some coco/vermiculite casing I made in preparation for the pans cyans ... I set the pressure cooker to 120 minutes.

you shouldn't use a traditional PC on a glass top stove because of the concave bottom. It can create a suction effect and cost the glass top to shatter/explode. broken shards of several hundred degree glass isn't the most appealing thing.

i use my 22qt on a turkey fryer burner. it's inconvenient but much more effective and pretty damn time efficient. I can get the PC warmed up and blowing steam in about 10 minutes, 10 minutes blow off, then cook and maintain proper pressure within 30 minutes of starting the fire.

you can use an instapot but you're gonna want to extend the cook time by ~50%. So, if you'd do 90 minutes in a traditional PC, take it to 120 minutes in the instapot on the high pressure setting. quite a few people on shroomery are doing just that these days.

Geta chance to test out your harvest yet?
Yes, last weekend. The creepers are much stronger than the mini mushrooms my son-in-law was giving us. We might do another round this weekend.

I believe that run has finally stopped. I had 2 flushes from it ... the 2nd had larger mushrooms and went much longer producing shrooms. Almost 2.5 oz in total.

you shouldn't use a traditional PC on a glass top stove because of the concave bottom. It can create a suction effect and cost the glass top to shatter/explode. broken shards of several hundred degree glass isn't the most appealing thing.

i use my 22qt on a turkey fryer burner. it's inconvenient but much more effective and pretty damn time efficient. I can get the PC warmed up and blowing steam in about 10 minutes, 10 minutes blow off, then cook and maintain proper pressure within 30 minutes of starting the fire.

you can use an instapot but you're gonna want to extend the cook time by ~50%. So, if you'd do 90 minutes in a traditional PC, take it to 120 minutes in the instapot on the high pressure setting. quite a few people on shroomery are doing just that these days.
Yeah i make sure the bottom of my PC is bone dry… as i do any pots on the glass top. Never heard of that issue but now i think i will get a burner rack after your said that

Yes, last weekend. The creepers are much stronger than the mini mushrooms my son-in-law was giving us. We might do another round this weekend.

I believe that run has finally stopped. I had 2 flushes from it ... the 2nd had larger mushrooms and went much longer producing shrooms. Almost 2.5 oz in total.
Rehydrate and put back into veg sealing it up for a week then try to fruit again. Worth a shot. In still getting shrooms.

Honestly the potency is usually way higher when you home grow and dry properly. They degrade with oxygen and time.

I don't think my wife would let me use her almost brand new double oven glass top stove with a pressure cooker. I've heard exactly what you've said ... shattered glass.

Edit: @Aqua should I add substrate for food during the re-hydration process?

I don't think my wife would let me use her almost brand new double oven glass top stove with a pressure cooker. I've heard exactly what you've said ... shattered glass.
Ok that does it… getting a burner rack.

Jesus thank you guys for brining this to my attention

Ok that does it… getting a burner rack.

Jesus thank you guys for brining this to my attention
it was mentioned in the manual that came with my PC. i think some autoclaves you can use on glass tops but traditional canners you're not supposed to. glad to have eliminated some risk for ya bud.

it was mentioned in the manual that came with my PC. i think some autoclaves you can use on glass tops but traditional canners you're not supposed to. glad to have eliminated some risk for ya bud.
Much appreciated man… i would be a dead man if that happened in my house lol

Back
Top Bottom