Auto Issues

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
My buddies growing an auto plant. He's having issues. Miracle Gro soil in a 3 gallon pot with an SF1000 for light. 76°/55%

Terrapin leaf issues.jpgTerrapin leaf issues A.jpg

The first plant is in her 15th week. The bracts on the buds are still growing noticeably and there are no amber trichomes so I'm continuing to just let her do here thing. I'm down to pure water as of today to finish.

The second plant is in her 6th week. I gave her a 1/4 strength cocktail just now and I feel good about introducing nutes in this way at this point. She really looks good. 👍🙂IMG_20240306_114139316_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I was always told not to do this because it creates a channel for water to run right through.
Not sure if science or broscience, but i have always stopped like 2-3 inches from the bottom of the pot.

"Many ways to skin a cat"
or so they say.
Negligible variable.

Yes, sticking a pole into a media is interacting with that structure but it's just gonna grow and fill in anyways.

Just for the record I noticed on a photo of yesterday my new plant had two of the youngest leaves going pale (at the bottom like the first plant) and getting papery and wilting. This is identical to how my first plant started to get in trouble with rust spots and leaf curing to follow on these same leaves.

What I'm hoping I'm learning now is this is how this auto first starts to show signs of deficiency. And as well I'm hoping since I gave her some nutes yesterday that between this and the superior soil this plant will continue with her vigorous and high rate of growth, and there will not be a repeat of last time.

This black pot is the old plant, the grow bag below is the new.
IMG_20240119_105931796_HDR~4.jpgIMG_20240306_114139316_HDR~2.jpg

Just for the record I noticed on a photo of yesterday my new plant had two of the youngest leaves going pale (at the bottom like the first plant) and getting papery and wilting. This is identical to how my first plant started to get in trouble with rust spots and leaf curing to follow on these same leaves.

What I'm hoping I'm learning now is this is how this auto first starts to show signs of deficiency. And as well I'm hoping since I gave her some nutes yesterday that between this and the superior soil this plant will continue with her vigorous and high rate of growth, and there will not be a repeat of last time.

This black pot is the old plant, the grow bag below is the new.
View attachment 48182View attachment 48183
I remove bottom stems easier to water and keeps leaves out of the soil

Update:

After feeding 1/4 strength cocktail a few days ago the two sets of leaves at the bottom greened up and perked up. No issues now. I think I can see more buds on this second plant and am expecting a higher yield with her. Thanks again to everyone for your advice, I can't believe how much I've learned in a short time. 👍☮️

@OLDCRO I did a little trimming at the bottom. This will make it easier to water. 👊

IMG_20240309_080057298_HDR.jpg

I'm in my 15th week with this auto and there's still no sign of any amber resin.

The impatient part of me wants to harvest now wondering if this strain doesn't get amber resin and wondering if my current resin now is deteriorating.

But, as @OLDCRO said it always takes him 14 weeks to harvest his autos. Any thoughts looking at the photos please?
IMG_20240314_094213652_HDR.jpgIMG_20240314_094159965~2.jpg

Be patient. She'll let you know when she's ready. Looking damn frosty!!! 😀

I know it's exciting to be able to harvest your own smoke but let her finish out. I'm sure you're also ready to move onto a new grow to try new things and improve your skills.

Do you remember the name of the strain?

Be patient. She'll let you know when she's ready. Looking damn frosty!!! 😀

I know it's exciting to be able to harvest your own smoke but let her finish out. I'm sure you're also ready to move onto a new grow to try new things and improve your skills.

Do you remember the name of the strain?

You are correct I think it is a factor that I kind of want this first plant to be over and feel a measure of success, as well as move on to other grows.

The seed is from a European company, Urban Legends and it is called Cookie Killer.

It's a cross between Cookie Auto x OG Kush Auto. It's sold as an indica/sativa hybrid.

I think you've pretty much proved that you can successfully take your plant to harvest so I would chalk that up as a success. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the smoke, so I guess you can celebrate after that first big toke!!! 😀

Your plant in Lush is looking nice and healthy. What are you feeding it? What frequency are you watering it?

I think you've pretty much proved that you can successfully take your plant to harvest so I would chalk that up as a success. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the smoke, so I guess you can celebrate after that first big toke!!! 😀

Your plant in Lush is looking nice and healthy. What are you feeding it? What frequency are you watering it?

Thanks those are good points man. 👊

I had a high level of confidence going into the growing part, but I don't have a high level of confidence going into the drying and curing part. This is actually the apprehension I have that makes me anxious to get to the first big toke part. 🙂

Yes, this Lush is Great! She is requiring watering every 3 days now. I feed her a cocktail based on your recipe everytime I water her now at 1/4 strength. Here's what's in the cocktail shown in a full strength recipe:

IMG_20240314_115617943~2.jpg

Every plant will grow differently, so don’t get hung up on the number of weeks til harvest. Even the same strain will have slight variations, even if it’s only time.

My plants have been flowering for probably 8 weeks at this point and theres still no amber trichomes. I’m hoping to harvest next weekend, but because it’s somewhat cool in my basement during the day (mid 60’s when i let the pellet stove burn out), they’re growing a little slower than if it were a constant 70-80F.

Be patient. We know you’re excited, but you’ll end up with a better product by waiting until the plant tells you she’s ready.

Every plant will grow differently, so don’t get hung up on the number of weeks til harvest. Even the same strain will have slight variations, even if it’s only time.

My plants have been flowering for probably 8 weeks at this point and theres still no amber trichomes. I’m hoping to harvest next weekend, but because it’s somewhat cool in my basement during the day (mid 60’s when i let the pellet stove burn out), they’re growing a little slower than if it were a constant 70-80F.

Be patient. We know you’re excited, but you’ll end up with a better product by waiting until the plant tells you she’s ready.
What excellent advice, thanks man! 👍👊

Don't worry about the dry and cure. As long as you stick to some basic rules you should be fine. I know 60/60 is the rule of thumb but not everyone can keep that kind of environment, me included. I'm averaging around 71° for temp so I'm hoping that, although 60° is where I'd like it terpenes start to evaporate at around 70° so, hopefully, I'm not burning off too many terps.

I just posted another update on my journal with pics so you can see what it looks like after a few days that they've been hung. I'll probably wait another day before I remove the branches from the main stem and hang them to continue drying.

Don't worry about the dry and cure. As long as you stick to some basic rules you should be fine. I know 60/60 is the rule of thumb but not everyone can keep that kind of environment, me included. I'm averaging around 71° for temp so I'm hoping that, although 60° is where I'd like it terpenes start to evaporate at around 70° so, hopefully, I'm not burning off too many terps.

I just posted another update on my journal with pics so you can see what it looks like after a few days that they've been hung. I'll probably wait another day before I remove the branches from the main stem and hang them to continue drying.
Thanks again Man! 👍☮️

Back
Top Bottom