Auto Issues

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
My buddies growing an auto plant. He's having issues. Miracle Gro soil in a 3 gallon pot with an SF1000 for light. 76°/55%

Terrapin leaf issues.jpgTerrapin leaf issues A.jpg

Here's a current page from my journal and a current photo of the sisters.

I tore my closet apart to bring in electric and make this happen, I'll put it back together and clean and paint and make it more sanitary after this run.

Mary is so top heavy and wobbly. I feel like she needs a stake to be safe but I'm hesitant to push a bamboo stake through her roots?

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_065356705_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240211_065356705_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240211_065300201.jpg
    IMG_20240211_065300201.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 10
Here's a current page from my journal and a current photo of the sisters.

I tore my closet apart to bring in electric and make this happen, I'll put it back together and clean and paint and make it more sanitary after this run.

Mary is so top heavy and wobbly. I feel like she needs a stake to be safe but I'm hesitant to push a bamboo stake through her roots?
If you sharpen the end of a bamboo stake, not needle point sharp but sharp enough to push around most of the roots you shouldn't have any problems

After you water plant then insert bamboo pole wont hurt roots. make sure you push pole to bottom of planter
I was always told not to do this because it creates a channel for water to run right through.
Not sure if science or broscience, but i have always stopped like 2-3 inches from the bottom of the pot.

"Many ways to skin a cat"
or so they say.

I was always told not to do this because it creates a channel for water to run right through.
Not sure if science or broscience, but i have always stopped like 2-3 inches from the bottom of the pot.

"Many ways to skin a cat"
or so they say.
That's a good point. I guess water around it to keep it from happening. Tomato cage might be better but he doesn't have a lot of lateral branches he needs to support.

That's a good point. I guess water around it to keep it from happening. Tomato cage might be better but he doesn't have a lot of lateral branches he needs to support.
When you water after inserting bamboo pole the soil will tighten up to pole and if water seeps done alone pole well at least you no roots are getting moisture.

Here's an update on the second plant. She is 2 weeks old today. In comparison to the first plant she is about 4 times larger than the first plant at this time. Actually in the picture below the first plant is almost 3 weeks old, so I'm attributing this improvement primarily to switching from Miracle Grow to Lush soil mix.IMG_20240213_063716645_HDR~3.jpgIMG_20231226_105422251~2.jpg

I'm noticing a blotch on a leaf of the new plant that is what I noticed on my first plant just as it got into trouble with a calcium def.

I'm in cannibis specific soil (Lush), and the plant is growing very well. But it's hard to not consider this blotch because of last time in the MG.

Any thoughts?

IMG_20240227_093443047~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_093500414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240227_093500414_HDR.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 7
There continues to be no comparison between the first plant (MG) and the second plant (Lush soil).

At 4 weeks, the first was 7 1/2" tall, the second plant at 4 weeks is 18" tall full of pre flowers.

Thanks again to @Rootsruler for recommending Lush and helping me understand that importance of root health. 👍☮️View attachment 47393
She got into preflower much faster than she did in the MG. Maybe the breeder timeline was established based on the Lush grow rates? Opposing branches are a sign of good health and minimal stress.

She got into preflower much faster than she did in the MG. Maybe the breeder timeline was established based on the Lush grow rates? Opposing branches are a sign of good health and minimal stress.
That's a good point maybe a shorter timeframe to harvest with this auto in Lush. Yes, so far I think she's had no stress. Thanks again!! 👍👍

The blotch is not a recognizable issue to me.
Is it progressing or spreading to other parts of plant?

The blotch is not a recognizable issue to me.
Is it progressing or spreading to other parts of plant?

The next day I saw another light blotch in another area.

It was time to water that day so I just watered her and hoped all the good stuff in the soil would address the issue. Since then no more new blotches and the two existing ones greened up to the point where they are very hard to notice (picture of one today below.) so that's pretty cool! 🙂

IMG_20240302_102636982~2.jpg

The next day I saw another light blotch in another area.

It was time to water that day so I just watered her and hoped all the good stuff in the soil would address the issue. Since then no more new blotches and the two existing ones greened up to the point where they are very hard to notice (picture of one today below.) so that's pretty cool! 🙂

View attachment 47428
That may be a sign that the nutrition in the soil is beginning to deplete. Just keep an eye for now and be ready to start feeding with nutrient. You probably got another couple weeks at least but better safe than sorry.

That may be a sign that the nutrition in the soil is beginning to deplete. Just keep an eye for now and be ready to start feeding with nutrient. You probably got another couple weeks at least but better safe than sorry.

Will do. 👍

The whole plant greened up when I watered it and it occurred to me I might not be watering frequently enough. I'm remembering now I think you said cannibis prefers 'wetish' soil once before. I think I'm leaving the wettish soil zone in-between waterings.

One of the things I've done to promote more root growth is when they are around 2 weeks old I'll wait an extra day on the watering for the roots to go looking for more water. You have to really keep an eye on them to make sure you don't stunt them but I've done this a couple times and it seems to really fill the media with roots early on. It's kind of a balancing act so you really need to pay attention to the plant and when it wants water.

One of the things I've done to promote more root growth is when they are around 2 weeks old I'll wait an extra day on the watering for the roots to go looking for more water. You have to really keep an eye on them to make sure you don't stunt them but I've done this a couple times and it seems to really fill the media with roots early on. It's kind of a balancing act so you really need to pay attention to the plant and when it wants water.
Good to know. I actually had this in mind when I realized the top can be bone dry while the bottom is very wet. 👍👍

This new plant continues to grow very rapidly and has a dark green color. She just completed 5 weeks today. This is when my other plant got into trouble rapidly in MG and I started feeding to respond to the unacceptable damage.

Normally in horticulture it's considered a blunder to treat a plant in fertile soil that is thriving (risking burning it up). But, I'm wondering if growing weed is an acception to the rule.

Part of me wants to start feeding a weak version of the cocktail I used on the first one and not wait until she gets in trouble, but part of me thinks I should leave her alone so I don't mess her up. It actually was right after I gave the first plant Morebloom 0-10-10 that I got into trouble last time for what that's worth. Any thoughts???

IMG_20240304_081024230_HDR~2.jpg

You’re over a month in the soil, so I’d start feeding her myself personally. I’d start with 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dose for the first week and start adding up until you reach the full dose.

As for the plant difference between the first and second - it could very well be MG that caused your issues, but my experience with autos is that even if you get 5 seeds of the same strain, all 5 seeds can grow differently. I just experienced this back in December - had 4 of the same auto planted and had 4 very different results.

If you can, I’d try a photo period next time. Takes a few weeks longer, but the yield is going to be a lot more. If you can’t, and autos are your only option, then just keep doing what you’re doing :)

You’re over a month in the soil, so I’d start feeding her myself personally. I’d start with 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dose for the first week and start adding up until you reach the full dose.

As for the plant difference between the first and second - it could very well be MG that caused your issues, but my experience with autos is that even if you get 5 seeds of the same strain, all 5 seeds can grow differently. I just experienced this back in December - had 4 of the same auto planted and had 4 very different results.

If you can, I’d try a photo period next time. Takes a few weeks longer, but the yield is going to be a lot more. If you can’t, and autos are your only option, then just keep doing what you’re doing :)

This sounds good. Thanks Man! 🙏

Back
Top Bottom