Bought Swensen's ice cream tonight to test it for tomorrow's official 97th birthday celebration; mint chocolate chip and blueberry cobbler. My thought was if the ice cream tastes bad, I've still got time to buy more. Film at 11.
Tell Pretty Momma happyyyyyyy 🎂 birthday 🎉!

Bought Swensen's ice cream tonight to test it for tomorrow's official 97th birthday celebration; mint chocolate chip and blueberry cobbler. My thought was if the ice cream tastes bad, I've still got time to buy more. Film at 11.
So, let us know how it is!

So many students are also COVID disadvantaged and are up to 2 years behind grade level, I hope the training program doesn't ask students to not play with their phones by the hour -- so many here are phone addicted. Average American spends 1 hour in a museum annually and 7 hours online daily I read to my ESL students and made sure they understood; Sinbad the Sailor and Voodoo Island were. perennial faves. Abandoning paper books and replacing them with Tick-Tok doesn't produce a Nobel prize.

So many students are also COVID disadvantaged and are up to 2 years behind grade level, I hope the training program doesn't ask students to not play with their phones by the hour -- so many here are phone addicted. Average American spends 1 hour in a museum annually and 7 hours online daily I read to my ESL students and made sure they understood; Sinbad the Sailor and Voodoo Island were. perennial faves. Abandoning paper books and replacing them with Tick-Tok doesn't produce a Nobel prize.
To be honest, this started long before the C word. The C word certainly did not help. In the early 2000’s I was a booster for a community college basketball team. The ball team was impressive, I believe it was the winningest Jr College/coach team of its time.
A majority of this team literally had a fifth grade education. Two of them could not speak English.
This really opened my eyes. While normal kids were struggling to make the grade to even be eligible these kids were handed the degrees, just because they played basketball. I believe this goes on in far more schools than most of us realize.

Babylon Hanging Gardens anyone? Very terrible when it is cooler here than in mother America. Had a call with my family in Glendale and they were being pelted with rain. We're reaping what we've sewn here on this planet....and mother nature is just getting started.
I don’t disagree that there have been changes, although not any seriously notable in my sixty runs around the sun. Having worked outside a lot of those years, I have not been stun to the fact it has been like this in the summer here all my life.
Im also aware that leading scientists cannot tell you anything in terms of temps etc. even if we as a country went to zero emissions by 2050.
We can make all of the changes and produce zero carbon emissions, but until the two biggest polluters in our world (China/India) have been addressed it makes zero difference.
I look at this through different eyes, more so as a power grab. Dystopian smart cities. After all if they were called what they really are, prisons, no one would want to go there. I won’t willingly be a part of that and these Ozark hills will be the ones I will stand and die upon.

@Scotty 420
have you seen the episode of Neighborhood Wars, featuring Warrenton? I just saw it a few days ago.
LOL yeah, the one where they build the shipping container house I assume. I just saw it a few months ago myself, doesn't really show the town in the best light necessarily, but it sure was funny. This area is kind of in a funny period right now. There is a lot of urban sprawl coming this way which is leading to more liberal leaning (relatively anyway, the whole state is pretty conservative in general as I'm sure you know) people from the city moving in with some of the old super conservative "good ol' boys" & it's led to some interesting dynamics.

Never imagined any 8-10yr old age group would show up for little league not knowing how to throw anything. Or run without tripping on themselves. The first year they could play coming out of the hysteria I coached and it was a mess. Like a bunch of feral moles who had been drug out of their caves kicking and screaming. Had 22 of them on one team because parents were desperate to get back to normal and the program got swamped. Handful to say the least. None of the kids wanted to be there but for a small handful. We got em squared away but it hurt my heart at the time. Glad we're past it.

Never imagined any 8-10yr old age group would show up for little league not knowing how to throw anything. Or run without tripping on themselves. The first year they could play coming out of the hysteria I coached and it was a mess. Like a bunch of feral moles who had been drug out of their caves kicking and screaming. Had 22 of them on one team because parents were desperate to get back to normal and the program got swamped. Handful to say the least. None of the kids wanted to be there but for a small handful. We got em squared away but it hurt my heart at the time. Glad we're past it.
My nephew's foot wouldn't fit in some new shoes he was trying on. My lady told him to loosen the laces. He said "how?"

I'm with ya man. That shit was sad to hear.

LOL yeah, the one where they build the shipping container house I assume. I just saw it a few months ago myself, doesn't really show the town in the best light necessarily, but it sure was funny. This area is kind of in a funny period right now. There is a lot of urban sprawl coming this way which is leading to more liberal leaning (relatively anyway, the whole state is pretty conservative in general as I'm sure you know) people from the city moving in with some of the old super conservative "good ol' boys" & it's led to some interesting dynamics.
Yup that was it! The side by side with the forks up front was a bit much!
Funny, I know nothing of your local dynamics but I perceived all of that. Two reasons. One the signs when you enter the county, and two knowing that this is because the cities have turned to literal shit holes, pushing those people further out into rural areas. Also knowing that that particular party has traditionally not been noted as money people but working class and seeing the sizes of homes being built.
Fairly easy to spot. Masks and anti gun stances. You would just have to know what happened to me at the Holiday Inn one afternoon after returning from nationals at the bench rest club. Some day, we will have a smoke and I’ll tell you the story.

Yup that was it! The side by side with the forks up front was a bit much!
Funny, I know nothing of your local dynamics but I perceived all of that. Two reasons. One the signs when you enter the county, and two knowing that this is because the cities have turned to literal shit holes, pushing those people further out into rural areas. Also knowing that that particular party has traditionally not been noted as money people but working class and seeing the sizes of homes being built.
Fairly easy to spot. Masks and anti gun stances. You would just have to know what happened to me at the Holiday Inn one afternoon after returning from nationals at the bench rest club. Some day, we will have a smoke and I’ll tell you the story.
I think I read the story, but I'm sure it's better in person. Seriously though if you're staying at the Holiday Inn & need somewhere to hang out & have a smoke we're literally like 3 blocks from the hotel, I'd love to share some of the buds you helped me grow.

I think I read the story, but I'm sure it's better in person. Seriously though if you're staying at the Holiday Inn & need somewhere to hang out & have a smoke we're literally like 3 blocks from the hotel, I'd love to share some of the buds you helped me grow.
I’ll hit you up next shoot up there. They have one coming up Sept 7th, but I’ll be packing up for pow wow on the 8th in Ky. So, I will miss that one.
Id love to share some flower I have grown as well with you! We will for sure make it a point!

Mornin!
Thanks for that review! The only thing I’m currently growing that has a food name is Runtz Wreck. It is touted to taste like Runtz candy. I have no idea what Runtz candy tastes like, but there is nothing candy tasting about it.
The strongest smell and taste that I have ever grown is Chocolate Mimosa. It by the way tastes nothing like chocolate, but it sure has a super strong tangerine smell and taste. So strong that it leaves a taste in your mouth exactly like a tangerine. I assume this is due to the Clementine parentage.
I'm not sure if I've tried the original Runtz, but every Runtz cross smells and tastes very much like each other. Runtz terps seem to dominate when it's crossed.

I'm not 97 tomorrow but thanks for the party, I'll be 71 and unfortunately won't be able to attend your celebration. I think its Taco's and Margarita's for me if my wife will drive.....lol....Happy happy to your Gma I hope I have her longevity, I wish her well.

So the first night's dream, I don't remember much but I have a very vivid image of a dude hacking off another dude's arm with a machete and then turning to hack off half of another dude's head. I woke up immediately thinking WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?

The next night's was strange and emotional. Not sure who I was with but we were up a mountain and something went down where several died and several were seriously injured. Me and the couple people that made it headed down the mountain for help. The trip down was part of the adventure yet pretty uneventful, just a struggle. We found all our parents chillin' at some sort of barbecue. We're frantic, trying to explain the situation, and we get nothing but looks of inconvenience and disgust. We were balling our eyes out trying to explain the severity of the accident and nobody seemed to care. The parents of the deceased, as well. After struggling to get the point across, we packed up supplies for the trek back up the mountain. We grabbed enough to start up a settlement and decided to live out the rest of our days with our lost friends on top of the mountain.

I woke up swamped in grief and distress with a feeling of inadequacy. Like we failed our friends and nobody out there gives a shit about me. It was a struggle to gain composure. The only saving grace was that I was having these thoughts from the comfort of my home, knowing it was all a dream.

I hate that shit.
Monty python movie?

To be honest, this started long before the C word. The C word certainly did not help. In the early 2000’s I was a booster for a community college basketball team. The ball team was impressive, I believe it was the winningest Jr College/coach team of its time.
A majority of this team literally had a fifth grade education. Two of them could not speak English.
This really opened my eyes. While normal kids were struggling to make the grade to even be eligible these kids were handed the degrees, just because they played basketball. I believe this goes on in far more schools than most of us realize.
For someone as knowledgeable about her surroundings and the goings on in this world it surprises me that only then did you see the injustices that college sports plays in education. I went to USC, the kings of illegal scouting and scholarships. While it was a minority some of the best players were also some of the worst in class. Even with tutors they struggled to make grades to hit even minimum levels of competence. Most didn't graduate and would draft out once they were eligible but this has been going on for decades.

When I was there there was a scandal that the school was able to keep quiet where professors were being pressured by the sports department and boosters to "take it easy" on student athletes that weren't making the grade. Not sure how they kept it out of the media although I'm sure having an owner of the largest paper in town on your board of directors helped.

I met a sophmore football player that got in on scholarship in my English 101 class my first year at USC. This was his third attempt at passing even with a tutor the whole time. He told me when he got his scholarship he could barely read or write because he was such a great athlete from grammar school on that teachers would pass him even if he failed the class. He said most of his free time was spent on practicing. He couldn't remember if he ever actually did homework in high school.

Unfortunately, nowadays, schools are more focused on money than education.

I met a sophmore football player that got in on scholarship in my English 101 class my first year at USC. This was his third attempt at passing even with a tutor the whole time. He told me when he got his scholarship he could barely read or write because he was such a great athlete from grammar school on that teachers would pass him even if he failed the class. He said most of his free time was spent on practicing. He couldn't remember if he ever actually did homework in high school.
And it wouldn't surprise me if you were to say his tutor was provided for him. Years of tutoring wouldn't be cheap.

At SC it was pretty much a given that athletes and Greek members were given special treatment by the administration. SC has a very deep alumni program along with its Greek associations having a lot of say in the school.

The pecking order there was athletes, Greek members, Students who got in through alumni/legacy admissions, Dogs, Grant students.

For someone as knowledgeable about her surroundings and the goings on in this world it surprises me that only then did you see the injustices that college sports plays in education. I went to USC, the kings of illegal scouting and scholarships. While it was a minority some of the best players were also some of the worst in class. Even with tutors they struggled to make grades to hit even minimum levels of competence. Most didn't graduate and would draft out once they were eligible but this has been going on for decades.

When I was there there was a scandal that the school was able to keep quiet where professors were being pressured by the sports department and boosters to "take it easy" on student athletes that weren't making the grade. Not sure how they kept it out of the media although I'm sure having an owner of the largest paper in town on your board of directors helped.

Unfortunately, nowadays, schools are more focused on money than education.
Having heard more than a few professional athletes speak to the announcers after a game, it doesn’t seem like most athletes have ever even cracked a text book. Alternately, there are a few that are true geniuses! They also worked their butts off while still competing in collegiate sports.

We have a sad state of affairs in education. It seems like inclusivity and a winning team are more important that learning.

Having heard more than a few professional athletes speak to the announcers after a game, it doesn’t seem like most athletes have ever even cracked a text book. Alternately, there are a few that are true geniuses! They also worked their butts off while still competing in collegiate sports.

We have a sad state of affairs in education. It seems like inclusivity and a winning team are more important that learning.
Winning sports programs brings booster and alumni money in so that you can build that larger stadium or raise coaching staff salaries. The prestige a winning sports program creates for a university has far reaching ripple effects in regards to tuition.

Back
Top Bottom