DWC Problems - Nutrient Deficiency?

SkinnieP

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
Hello all.
Man I've been tinkering with this girl for a while now. She's very temperamental, and I'm just kind of stumped now.
Here's the deal.
2x2x6 Grow tent w/ inline fan and oscillating fan
Single 5 gallon DWC Hydro bucket
Water Temp: between 67-72 degrees, sits at an average of 69 degrees
Air Temp: between 69-74 degrees
VPD sits at 1.0 -1.2, or RH fluctuates between 50-60%
Using RO water at a PH between 5.8 and 6.5, for the most part it sits around 6.3
PPFD at top of plant is 240

2 gallons of nutrient solution, the total composition being: (This is total nutrients, cut it in half for per gallon)

-1ml Power Si
-6ml GH Cal-Mag
-4ml FloraMicro
-4.5ml FloraGro
-3ml FloraBloom
total ppm: 405
The PH will rise, the water level stays the same, and the ppm stays the same. I'm familiar with the charts available online, like this one.

I've changed the res and reduced the nutrients 3x now, the only thing that happened is the plant now looks a healthy green. But these deficiency marks on the leaves are new, within the last 24 hours.
1718047542926.png
View attachment c movie.MOV
I know that's a ton of info, and I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this and offer some insight. if you need any more info please let me know. It almost looks like magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous deficiency???? I really don't know man, this is my first grow and can't find an exact fit for what's happening online.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• roots 2.jpg
    roots 2.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 22.png
    22.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 14
  • roots.png
    roots.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 44.png
    44.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-06-10 152619.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-10 152619.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 11
69f is a bit cold

VPD sounds kinda out of whack and theres an uptake issue.

moe.red can help more and some others

id be around 77-85F and 60-75rh

id try to get ur leaf surface temps to 77 atleast.

and VPD affects nutrient uptake as well.

Also, the roots look a little brown in the picture, they aren't purely white but more of an off-white. I dont THINK that's an issue but if you do, let me know please. ty all <3

Also, the roots look a little brown in the picture, they aren't purely white but more of an off-white. I dont THINK that's an issue but if you do, let me know please. ty all <3
could be slime/bacteria, could be rotting, could be from the nutrients... ;/

could be slime/bacteria, could be rotting, could be from the nutrients... ;/
I personally think it's from the nutes, but I am also brand new to this. I kind of have a reference point, though because one of my other girls had some pretty brown/slimy roots and this one looks nothing like those did. but you never know I guess

I personally think it's from the nutes, but I am also brand new to this. I kind of have a reference point, though because one of my other girls had some pretty brown/slimy roots and this one looks nothing like those did. but you never know I guess
Do the roots actually feel slimy? Are you running a sterile or live reservoir?

I use RO water that comes out at 0ppm. I have to add epsom salt for extra magnesium and I've upped the dose for ever grow so far. This is in addition to calmag at 3ml/gal.

To me, this looks like a magnesium deficiency with the paleness between the veins.

I use RO water that comes out at 0ppm. I have to add epsom salt for extra magnesium and I've upped the dose for ever grow so far. This is in addition to calmag at 3ml/gal.

To me, this looks like a magnesium deficiency with the paleness between the veins.

-6ml GH Cal-Mag

uptake issue maybe ?

I'm saying the calmag was never enough on its own. We use the same amount of calmag, but I think he'll need to add some unscented epsim for the extra mag.
Thanks for the tip man, might be a lot of help! Going to give it a shot on the next res swap. What’s your measurement per gallon?

Thanks for the tip man, might be a lot of help! Going to give it a shot on the next res swap. What’s your measurement per gallon?
Anywhere from 50-100 of your total ppms. I'd stsrt lower. The stuff is cheap so I just grab a handful and make a concentrated batch, then add it to the system at the desired rate. I'd start smaller but I'm pretty sure it's hard to overdo it.

I have never taken a plant to flower in just a couple of gallons. My instinct is this is going to be very hard to manage.

What is the foam on top of the water. My guess is that’s a result of power si getting bubbled.

You say the ph rises, how much and how quickly? How are you checking this?

I have never taken a plant to flower in just a couple of gallons. My instinct is this is going to be very hard to manage.

What is the foam on top of the water. My guess is that’s a result of power si getting bubbled.

You say the ph rises, how much and how quickly? How are you checking this?
MM... Yeah I know it can be done as there are tons of posts of these 5 gallon DWC systems. I guess it's just a question of how well it can be done.

I think you're exactly right on the foam, it was never there until after I put in the Power Si.

Checking PH with the Bluelab PH pen, I try to take good care of it.
Over 6 hours it will usually rise about 1/2 a point. that's an estimate

Hey, I'm not using RO water but I can't use Cal/mag early in veg or I lock up my plants from too much Ca. My water has enough Ca in it more fks things up. 6ml Cal/mag sounds like a lot too me, I don't add it until the 3rd week of flower when their demand for Ca goes up and I give them 5ml/gal. I use Epsom salts for Mag up until the 3rd week then switch to cal/mag........not sure how that would work in RO water but you may want to try less Ca/mag and see if it helps. I know you need some Ca but my water only has trace amounts and that seeds like enough...

Hey, I'm not using RO water but I can't use Cal/mag early in veg or I lock up my plants from too much Ca. My water has enough Ca in it more fks things up. 6ml Cal/mag sounds like a lot too me, I don't add it until the 3rd week of flower when their demand for Ca goes up and I give them 5ml/gal. I use Epsom salts for Mag up until the 3rd week then switch to cal/mag........not sure how that would work in RO water but you may want to try less Ca/mag and see if it helps. I know you need some Ca but my water only has trace amounts and that seeds like enough...
Thanks for the input brother. Will be considered for sure

Calcium hates everything

View attachment 61258
We'd need to sit down and have a long talk over that chart, the confusion starts at the top and works its way down with red and green arrows going both ways? it looks like a star chart for Capt Kirk......warp 5 to Boron Scotty

Don't even try to explain it....its not worth it.....dogs and algebra

We'd need to sit down and have a long talk over that chart, the confusion starts at the top and works its way down with red and green arrows going both ways? it looks like a star chart for Capt Kirk......warp 5 to Boron Scotty

Don't even try to explain it....its not worth it.....dogs and algebra
Ok but you brought up lockouts. Just sayin.

We just got back from the gym 6th time in 12 days,,,another 5 years like this I'll have that beach bod I always wanted.....lol.....might take 10, I've got a long ways to go...

Grows in coco, mileage will vary

I would push the RH up. I know you said the VPD is in check, but I've never had much if any success in trying to veg in anything under 60% RH.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if my feed mix is perfect so I support the plants by trying to keep the RH a bit higher. Reduces transpiration, giving you a bit of wiggle room on deficiencies/toxicities.

With regards to the roots; used to run sterile, could never really keep it sterile, switched to a live res with Orca and have never looked back. Water's always crystal clear. Res sits in the garage where it normally gets to over 90F. Never had any issues, even without a water chiller.

My chillers have bean set at 68 deg for 12 years
The fact that i run neither live or sterile my matter but i don't know how
He was saying his air temp was 69-75

Water temp 67-72 which is no problem, mwdwc would get up to 80/85 in the past , I use h2o2.

But that VPD sounds whacky

He was saying his air temp was 69-75

Water temp 67-72 which is no problem, mwdwc would get up to 80/85 in the past , I use h2o2.

But that VPD sounds whacky
So what VPD should I aim for? I’m just kind of going by what I read online and I’ve found a few sites that say keeping VPD between .8-1.2 is best for veg.

So I just try to keep it in the middle of that range. But if you think I should be doing something different, by all means please let me know. Ty!

And btw, I’ve changed res and reduced nutes to about 20% of my original dosage. Since then she’s seemed to stabilize a bit and perk up. The deficiency markings are still there but she does seem healthier.

Even though when you’re just starting off and trying to dial shit in, and you get a problem you can’t figure out at first and start to panic…the whole problem solving part of this is so fun and fascinating. Just based on how this first grow is going I can say I’ll be doing this for the rest of my life 😂

Thanks for all your input and advice. You guys rock.

Back
Top Bottom