Fan upgrade for the next grow

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
The last grow I did I only had one small circulator along with the exhaust fan for the tent. I decided to upgrade to an oscillator to sweep over the canopy while I move the other fan under the canopy. So far this is the best way to hang it as I can adjust the height if I want to employ a different angle to change up the wind pattern. I was going to mount it to a board and then mount the board to the ceiling poles but this is easier and more adjustable. I was also thinking of fabricating a corner shelf to sit it on that would also give me height adjustability but for now this seems to be working so I'm going with it.

If anyone has a different way they've mounted their fans I'd love to see some better ideas!!

View attachment oscillating fan.mp4

I like this type less than $25cnd.

Works on side or roof bars.
IMG_3995.jpeg
Comes apart easily to clean.

I use to use a white one like yours but got tired of rigging it up.

I have a box full dead fans like yours. I think it's because they run 24/7 but mine last me around 8 months before they die. I really like these Honeywell fans. They're sturdy and powerful and easy to maintain. I've been running this little 8" all year 24/7 and it hasn't flinched. It's $17 USD. The oscillator is a Honeywell also. $32 USD.

I hope I have better luck. Only had mine a few months.

I liked Honeywell and Sunbeam. But last Honeywell like yours I got at Canadian Tire I think…no power. Same goes for copycats.

My last two in-line S6 ACI fans both twitter. The first one is original and perfectly fine. Second and third that replaced it squeak after a few weeks. And new one is no longer a detachable cord.

If you have a bunch of bar clamps can you mod one to fit the new fan? Tin and snips with a few pop rivets to make adapter? Maybe 3D print an adapter? Sounds like your Honeywell fan might be worth the time.

I hope I have better luck. Only had mine a few months.

I liked Honeywell and Sunbeam. But last Honeywell like yours I got at Canadian Tire I think…no power. Same goes for copycats.

My last two in-line S6 ACI fans both twitter. The first one is original and perfectly fine. Second and third that replaced it squeak after a few weeks. And new one is no longer a detachable cord.

If you have a bunch of bar clamps can you mod one to fit the new fan? Tin and snips with a few pop rivets to make adapter? Maybe 3D print an adapter? Sounds like your Honeywell fan might be worth the time.
Hey, I've been looking for small osculating fans but they're too expensive....I can get a ton of small $5 fans used / new at Value Village stores that seem to last for years without issues other than cleaning them......I've been suspending them with light ropes from the top bars and I can position them in the corners to blow where I want with a little adjusting of the ropes.

I can't justify $80 for the AC infinity osculating fans. I've a few 8" osculating Blizzard fans but they're too big to hang in the tents but I can stand them on milk crates in the corners...

Hey, I've been looking for small osculating fans but they're too expensive....I can get a ton of small $5 fans used / new at Value Village stores that seem to last for years without issues other than cleaning them......I've been suspending them with light ropes from the top bars and I can position them in the corners to blow where I want with a little adjusting of the ropes.

I can't justify $80 for the AC infinity osculating fans. I've a few 8" osculating Blizzard fans but they're too big to hang in the tents but I can stand them on milk crates in the corners...
Don’t know if we have a VV around here. Need to ask wifey. Shopping is her department usually. She knows where’s what. 🤣

Ya the ACI fans are pricey even before the screw CND tax.

I have a left over clamp from another fan. If I find a good cheap one I’ll put the clamp on it.

The last grow I did I only had one small circulator along with the exhaust fan for the tent. I decided to upgrade to an oscillator to sweep over the canopy while I move the other fan under the canopy. So far this is the best way to hang it as I can adjust the height if I want to employ a different angle to change up the wind pattern. I was going to mount it to a board and then mount the board to the ceiling poles but this is easier and more adjustable. I was also thinking of fabricating a corner shelf to sit it on that would also give me height adjustability but for now this seems to be working so I'm going with it.

If anyone has a different way they've mounted their fans I'd love to see some better ideas!!

View attachment 13514
I just use a microphone clamp mount and sit them on it. Gator FrameworksCases Microphone Stand Clamp-On Utility Surface Area with 10 Pound Weight Capacity, 9" x 9" Shelf (GFW-SHELF0909) https://a.co/d/azUoSpK

I like mine blowing across and above the canopy.i let the hot air rise to get extracted.i believe having the fan pointing down pushes the hot air back down .since I have moved it above the canopy more my leaves don’t dry out and go crunchy anymore.0A00181C-4009-4880-8B08-2AE4246FC33E.jpeg

Don’t know if we have a VV around here. Need to ask wifey. Shopping is her department usually. She knows where’s what. 🤣

Ya the ACI fans are pricey even before the screw CND tax.

I have a left over clamp from another fan. If I find a good cheap one I’ll put the clamp on it.
The ones we have here are the size of a small walmart full of clothes in the center and along the walls they have everything I look for. There's always something I've bought $2.99 - 3 prong 1500w timers, Power bars $3.99.....$4.99 humidifiers....$4.99 fans tower fans $7.99 coffee grinders $4.99, 10gal mixing pot with stir spoon and add ons for wine making $7.99.....and I get 30% seniors discount on Tuesdays...lol........why not eh??/

I have a box full dead fans like yours. I think it's because they run 24/7 but mine last me around 8 months before they die. I really like these Honeywell fans. They're sturdy and powerful and easy to maintain. I've been running this little 8" all year 24/7 and it hasn't flinched. It's $17 USD. The oscillator is a Honeywell also. $32 USD.

I thought I was getting bunk fans cause I've burned through 3 or 4 of these clip fans in a year. I'm glad you brought this up so I can see what other people do for fans in tents

The ones we have here are the size of a small walmart full of clothes in the center and along the walls they have everything I look for. There's always something I've bought $2.99 - 3 prong 1500w timers, Power bars $3.99.....$4.99 humidifiers....$4.99 fans tower fans $7.99 coffee grinders $4.99, 10gal mixing pot with stir spoon and add ons for wine making $7.99.....and I get 30% seniors discount on Tuesdays...lol........why not eh??/
Wifey says not here. Cleaned out and picked over.

She hasn’t checked it in a while as it got…messy. But she’ll see next week.

I like mine blowing across and above the canopy.i let the hot air rise to get extracted.i believe having the fan pointing down pushes the hot air back down .since I have moved it above the canopy more my leaves don’t dry out and go crunchy anymore.View attachment 13582
In that room I'd have 4 - 2 high in the corners and 2 on the floor osculating up through the canopy with an extraction fan up top pulling the air up and out with an input line dropping to bottom supplying fresh cooler air

Wifey says not here. Cleaned out and picked over.

She hasn’t checked it in a while as it got…messy. But she’ll see next week.
What I need now is a home made chiller, my auto pot reservoir is too warm in my basement now with my humidifiers running. I'm thinking a frozen bottle of water/ coke bottle size I can recycle when they thaw but I don't know if that'll fk things up by getting too cold.....any thoughts???

Close 😃.there’s 2 above in opposite corners and one on the floor..I need some better quality ones.most times the oscillating gears fuck up first.these have a 12 month warrantee..the guys at the shop,are sick of me bringing them back.😆

Close 😃.there’s 2 above in opposite corners and one on the floor..I need some better quality ones.most times the oscillating gears fuck up first.these have a 12 month warrantee..the guys at the shop,are sick of me bringing them back.😆
Me too. It breaks in less than a year back it goes. To much $$ to just eat it all the time.

If you shop amzon they have warehouse deals with cheaper option graded as to the damage on them from damaged box - superficial marks on them - off color - cracks in a part ...but they still work and are marked down1689518279193.png

What I need now is a home made chiller, my auto pot reservoir is too warm in my basement now with my humidifiers running. I'm thinking a frozen bottle of water/ coke bottle size I can recycle when they thaw but I don't know if that'll fk things up by getting too cold.....any thoughts???
I know nothing of running a reservoir. Would ice or frozen water bottles kill anything helpful in the water?

My dehumidifier is pumping out hot air the last 24hr. Basement is hotter than outside. 😔

I know nothing of running a reservoir. Would ice or frozen water bottles kill anything helpful in the water?

My dehumidifier is pumping out hot air the last 24hr. Basement is hotter than outside. 😔
I know not, that's why I ask but ya I'm in the same boat. my basement was 80f this am and so is the reservoir I'm adding 3 gal of cooler food asap but still it warms up so much I don't think thats good....I'll ask the guys later what the thought are on it but chillers are like $600 and that's a hard NO so frozen water bottles is my cheaper option.....lol

Ive seen people put frozen 2 liter soda bottles in the res, not sure if its harmful, but ive definitely seen it done in videos and such.

I made a chiller for a warehouse I was doing an installation in. They needed something large enough to chill all their feed water but not cost them thousands. I found a floor freezer on sale and modified it by running a coil of 1/2" copper tubing inside it. Drilled a hole near the top on both ends for the inlet and outlet and connected them to the RO reservoirs. Added enough water to cover the coils and set it to 65*. Waited a day and checked outlet temp and adjusted temperature so that a constant 68* arrived at the pots.

Sometimes I run into people getting rid of their mini fridges. You can make a chiller with one of those and some copper tubing and be able to regulate the temperature of your water or you can shell out $200 - $300 for one that is already made.

A wort probe or immersion chiller.

Keep a cooler filled with water and ice bottles. You'll also need a small pump, some insulated tubing, and some stainless steel tubing like what you can find at an auto-part store for brakes.

These are used in home brewery situations when people don't wanna spend lots on a aquarium chiller. I also have one for my raft hydro system because I refuse to spend money on a real chiller and I actually think the wort chiller works as good if not better without the heat output and much lower power consumption.
This video pretty much explains it but don't use copper. Only stainless steel or titanium for garden applications. Copper, galvanized metals, and other metals are toxic to plants so it must be a nontoxic metal.
You can also plug the pump into a thermostat controller for aquariums so it doesn't make your rez too cold

I know not, that's why I ask but ya I'm in the same boat. my basement was 80f this am and so is the reservoir I'm adding 3 gal of cooler food asap but still it warms up so much I don't think thats good....I'll ask the guys later what the thought are on it but chillers are like $600 and that's a hard NO so frozen water bottles is my cheaper option.....lol

I assume you know the temp of the res and what you want it to be at.

Hanging a bottle off the side or letting them float freely is my gut feeling but wait for the heavyweights to chime in or do a few YouTube research vids.

Sorry, best I can offer. 😔

A wort probe or immersion chiller.

Keep a cooler filled with water and ice bottles. You'll also need a small pump, some insulated tubing, and some stainless steel tubing like what you can find at an auto-part store for brakes.

These are used in home brewery situations when people don't wanna spend lots on a aquarium chiller. I also have one for my raft hydro system because I refuse to spend money on a real chiller and I actually think the wort chiller works as good if not better without the heat output and much lower power consumption.
This video pretty much explains it but don't use copper. Only stainless steel or titanium for garden applications. Copper, galvanized metals, and other metals are toxic to plants so it must be a nontoxic metal.
You can also plug the pump into a thermostat controller for aquariums so it doesn't make your rez too cold

Ya I like that do you think it would work with the ribbed stainless steel tubing as well???.....I could get that locally tomorrow with a 5 gallon tub of ice water it would help...I have a pump and hose line1689528874109.png

Ya I like that do you think it would work with the ribbed stainless steel tubing as well???.....I could get that locally tomorrow with a 5 gallon tub of ice water it would help...I have a pump and hose lineView attachment 13593

Looks like that has a plastic core which would block it from being able to cool water it's sitting in. Anything pure stainless will do, even if it's just short piece of straight pipe or tubing.

Here's how I did mine.
The blue hose end connects to the pump inside the cooler.
The stainless steel tubing part is submerged in the rez and the red hose is the return for the cooler water to recycle.
On the connection to fit the hose to the piece of stainless steel tube I used stainless steel hose clamps.

At this size it's effective at taking about 5 gallons of room temp water down 10-15 degrees in less than an hour.
But yeah man, primitive, but very effective.
The bigger the volume of water needing to be chilled, the bigger the wort will be needed but something this small should work well for autopots. I've used it in raft hydro, an aero cloner, and a 4 site waterfarm with good success

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

I like mine blowing across and above the canopy.i let the hot air rise to get extracted.i believe having the fan pointing down pushes the hot air back down .since I have moved it above the canopy more my leaves don’t dry out and go crunchy anymore.View attachment 13582
I agree that pushing hot air back down is probably not the best idea but I can adjust the height of the fan with the rope ratchets so that may not be the place where I keep it at.

Back
Top Bottom