OK let me look this up brb
"How do I properly use a potassium silicate?
First, if using a solid, you need to prepare a stock solution no more concentrated than 45g/L. The recommendation with AgSil 16H would be to prepare a stock solution at 15g/gal and then using this solution at a rate of 38mL/gal of final solution (injection rate of 1%). To increase the stability of your AgSil 16H concentrate you can add 1g/gal of KOH. The end addition to your solution will be +9.8ppm of Si as elemental Si and +11.55ppm of K. The KOH addition and low 15g/gal concentration ensures that silicate will already be largely present as monomeric silicate anions."

In the thread called BUFFERING

Potassium silicate​

This is a soluble form of silicon that is stable at high pH values. While solutions of potassium silicate by itself can be prepared and used as a pH up option, it is usually stabilized with a small addition of potassium hydroxide to take the pH of solutions to the 11-12 range. Potassium silicate contributes both potassium and silicon to hydroponic solutions – both important nutrients – and its use can be more beneficial than the use of pure potassium hydroxide. While silicates are less basic and more mass is required for the same pH buffering effect, the preparation and handling can often be much simpler than those of potassium hydroxide.

Note that potassium silicate solutions are also unstable when left in open air, as they will also react with atmospheric carbon dioxide to generate potassium carbonate. It is also worth noting that not all potassium silicates are the same, when looking for a highly soluble potassium silicate for hydroponics, make sure you get potassium silicates that have higher K/Si ratios. Usually ratios of at least 1.05 are required (make sure you convert both K and Si to their elemental forms, as most of these products report K as K2O and Si as SiO2).

AgSil 16h is a 1.6 weight ratio (SiO2 : K2O), hydrous potassium silicate powder with 32% K2O and 52.8% SiO2 and 14.8% H2O. We had it analyzed by a laboratory using the AAPFCO approved method and the results showed 17.37% soluble silicon. Silicon is a plant beneficial element.​

Please reads this article for complete background. Make sure to load the comments at the bottom. @Anthem275 the K availability has been confirmed:

agsil.jpg

@SweetLeafGrow this confirms that Agsil 16 will in fact add potassium and must be accounted for. The details and PPMs are in the link above.

@grump I need to get some Agsil myself and try this. I use a straight Potassium Silicate powder and it reacts a little differently. Based on what I have read, I think you are doing it right and can proceed. If you were doing a concentrate to add in like nutes, you did not add enough. But you are trying to set up your res, not create a concentrate right now.

The higher K levels won't have adverse affects this early, right? Later in the bud fattening stage is when we talked about potentially phasing it out.

Potassium silicate​

This is a soluble form of silicon that is stable at high pH values. While solutions of potassium silicate by itself can be prepared and used as a pH up option, it is usually stabilized with a small addition of potassium hydroxide to take the pH of solutions to the 11-12 range. Potassium silicate contributes both potassium and silicon to hydroponic solutions – both important nutrients – and its use can be more beneficial than the use of pure potassium hydroxide. While silicates are less basic and more mass is required for the same pH buffering effect, the preparation and handling can often be much simpler than those of potassium hydroxide.

Note that potassium silicate solutions are also unstable when left in open air, as they will also react with atmospheric carbon dioxide to generate potassium carbonate. It is also worth noting that not all potassium silicates are the same, when looking for a highly soluble potassium silicate for hydroponics, make sure you get potassium silicates that have higher K/Si ratios. Usually ratios of at least 1.05 are required (make sure you convert both K and Si to their elemental forms, as most of these products report K as K2O and Si as SiO2).

AgSil 16h is a 1.6 weight ratio (SiO2 : K2O), hydrous potassium silicate powder with 32% K2O and 52.8% SiO2 and 14.8% H2O. We had it analyzed by a laboratory using the AAPFCO approved method and the results showed 17.37% soluble silicon. Silicon is a plant beneficial element.​

Please reads this article for complete background. Make sure to load the comments at the bottom. @Anthem275 the K availability has been confirmed:

View attachment 1526

@SweetLeafGrow this confirms that Agsil 16 will in fact add potassium and must be accounted for. The details and PPMs are in the link above.

@grump I need to get some Agsil myself and try this. I use a straight Potassium Silicate powder and it reacts a little differently. Based on what I have read, I think you are doing it right and can proceed. If you were doing a concentrate to add in like nutes, you did not add enough. But you are trying to set up your res, not create a concentrate right now.
Could aquarium npk test strips be used to determine what's out of balance in the nutrient solution?

My pH pen shows 5.9 and the pH probe shows 6.4. Both are calibrated. Which one of these is the more accurate untensil? Both Bluelab

What cracks me up is my $15 chinese tds pen tracks perfectly w my groline monitor. No idea how long it will do this for but at that price I dont really care.
I calibrated them both for shits and gigs and they still read .3 different from each other. The pen says 5.8 and my probe 6.1. I want to go off of the probe, since it'll be in the res, but I also kinda wanna agree with the pen so I don't need to add any pH Down 🤣

Might try to rehydrate your pen

It was 2 or 3 weeks ago that everything was hydrated and calibrated. I've added a couple drops of KCl to the pen's lid twice now. Could the fact that I'm using RO/DI water be a problem or is that just referring to prolonged exposure? I guess I missed that little tidbit when I was reading the manual. Seems like you should at least be able to check the pH of the RO/DI without damaging things, but I don't know nothing.

Potassium silicate​

View attachment 1526I just l

I just looked up Agasil and it is like 0-0-32. While it is a great product for adding silicon and the buffering capacity it will create too many problems with a standard nutrient mix like GH Trio or even a dry salt formulation for the hobby grower. Thanks for posting!!!!

I just looked up Agasil and it is like 0-0-32. While it is a great product for adding silicon and the buffering capacity it will create too many problems with a standard nutrient mix like GH Trio or even a dry salt formulation for the hobby grower. Thanks for posting!!!!
Well I'm gonna run with it. Maybe I could cut back some on the Gro to limit a little of the K dosage. This is my first time so that might be a bad idea.. just brainstorming.

Well I'm gonna run with it. Maybe I could cut back some on the Gro to limit a little of the K dosage. This is my first time so that might be a bad idea.. just brainstorming.
Yea, you could do that but, how much grow are you going to cut back and is that enough? Maybe eliminate the bloom too if cutting back on the grow isn't enough............

Balancing your formula on your own is possible for some, but above my pay scale

Ok sorry I missed so much.

I’m not going all technical on this post but I’ve been running potassium silicate successfully with gh for several years and I don’t get burn.

Agsil is the best product on the market per the science in hydro links I posted. It is what I will use when I run out but I have not used it yet personally.

I’ll try to do some math on this and explain it in layman’s terms but pot sil does work and is very effective. I don’t use it long into flower which helps keep the bloom nutes in the right proportions

PH continued to drift up after mixing a batch of nutes. It hovered around 6.1 so I've hit it with a total of 6ml of down. We'll see where she settles.

No root yet but she seems to still be hanging in there.

@Moe.Red ,
I was thinking about a comment of yours where you said "with LEDs, there's a thin layer of photons."

Should I think about moving my light down to accurately place that layer of photons? Manufacturer recommendations show 12" above the canopy. My light hangs 40" up. Too soon?

Ok sorry I missed so much.

I’m not going all technical on this post but I’ve been running potassium silicate successfully with gh for several years and I don’t get burn.

Agsil is the best product on the market per the science in hydro links I posted. It is what I will use when I run out but I have not used it yet personally.

I’ll try to do some math on this and explain it in layman’s terms but pot sil does work and is very effective. I don’t use it long into flower which helps keep the bloom nutes in the right proportions
I assume you are using a product with potash. You can do that as I did for years just not ideal. Every single component from nutrients, to environment effect yields and quality. Every single item that is less than ideal with effect quality and yield.

That radio is sweet! I like to go through second hand stores and find stuff like this. I've been searching for a 2 speaker/dual cassette boombox with all the bells and whistles! The bigger the better, like the old skool NYC Hip Hop guys use to lug around!!!

Boom Box.jpg

That radio is sweet! I like to go through second hand stores and find stuff like this. I've been searching for a 2 speaker/dual cassette boombox with all the bells and whistles! The bigger the better, like the old skool NYC Hip Hop guys use to lug around!!!

View attachment 1594
We found this thing cleaning out the garage. It was my lady's grandpa's radio from who knows when. There's so many channels and buttons that I wanna google it and see what it's capable of. Great reception with the antenna barely even out. It's a classic that's for sure.

We found this thing cleaning out the garage. It was my lady's grandpa's radio from who knows when. There's so many channels and buttons that I wanna google it and see what it's capable of. Great reception with the antenna barely even out. It's a classic that's for sure.
I love those old radios that are part normal/part ham radio!!!!

Mr. Fulvic and Orca both arrived today. Anything in particular I should keep in mind before tossing it in the res?

Amazon sent me fuckin Mr. Humic... not fulvic. Definitely ordered Fulvic.

@Moe.Red ,
Is Mr. Humic worth adding as well or should I just send the crap back? I hate dealing with customer service. Maybe they'll let me keep the humic and ship me out some fulvic, instead.

Amazon sent me fuckin Mr. Humic... not fulvic. Definitely ordered Fulvic.

@Moe.Red ,
Is Mr. Humic worth adding as well or should I just send the crap back? I hate dealing with customer service. Maybe they'll let me keep the humic and ship me out some fulvic, instead.
A: Mr. Fulvic and Mr. Humic are the exact same product, but due to different state labeling laws we sell our product under the Mr. Humic label in California and Oregon for compliance reasons.

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Mr. Fulvic
Seller · 2 years ago

A: Mr. Fulvic and Mr. Humic are the exact same product, but due to different state labeling laws we sell our product under the Mr. Humic label in California and Oregon for compliance reasons.

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

Mr. Fulvic
Seller · 2 years ago
Good deal. Kinda weird but hey, got all my nutes now.

Back
Top Bottom