Jack's Mag-Sulfate vs. Regular Epsom

GrumpAzz

Wingin' it
Staff member
Contest Guy
Reaction score
So I'm in the shopping phase of switching nutes and I think I've decided on Jack's. Everything I want from them, on their website, will cost $135 to ship. I can find all the same shit on Amazon with free shipping, except the Epsom.

Does anyone know whether or not there's any difference between their epsom and the regular crap I already have? I have Teal's unscented Epsom.

The only reason I'm even remotely concerned is because their epsom is factored into their 3-2-1 feed ratio. I know magnesium sulfate is magnesium sulfate, wherever you get it, but is there any reason I should NEED Jack's branded epsom?

Somebody tell me "There's no difference" so I can go ahead and pull the trigger on this next phase of my growing adventure.

Or, if you'd like, tell me I'm "stupid and should just stick to the GH trio that's worked fine so far". However, tell me your reasoning if you're gonna go that route.

My last grow was 3-2-1 with CVS Epsom salt.
No real problem but I won't be doing 3-2-1 again.
Or atleast not solo. I will keep my Fox Farms on hand. It is not made for soil so maybe you will not feel the same about it after giving it a go.
Don't over buy the jacks or store it completely dried and sealed as it draws moisture and can go bad/wet if not properly stored.
In my room every bag of Jacks has gone bad in less than 1 year. I probably should have jarred it or something but open the bag one day and it is a puddle or one solid rock in Ca's case.
Regular Espom should be fine.

What's the reason behind changing just to try something else or are you not getting desired results?

Buds look good to me ...I'm from the wheel house of hamster wheel ain't broke don't fix it šŸ˜†

Don't over buy the jacks or store it completely dried and sealed as it draws moisture and can go bad/wet if not properly stored.
In my room every bag of Jacks has gone bad in less than 1 year. I probably should have jarred it or something but open the bag one day and it is a puddle or one solid rock in Ca's case.
Regular Espom should be fine.
Ok word. I think I need something like 5 or 6 pounds of A and CalNit per run. Buying 3 of the kilogram bags almost costs as much as the 25 pound bag so I'll be buying bulk.

I guess I'll also be searching for some good airtight containers.

What's the reason behind changing just to try something else or are you not getting desired results?

Buds look good to me ...I'm from the wheel house of hamster wheel ain't broke don't fix it šŸ˜†
I want to try dry salts. I just think it'll be so much easier to nail the suggested ratios. I slacked on this last round. So tired from multiple 84 hour workweeks. I feel like measuring grams instead of mL will take some of the stress out of the equation and maybe I won't push off my res changes like I did with the Dip-N-Stix grow.

Also.. after a month in the Grove bags, this Dip-N-Stix is FIRE

Last edited:
Do you have a rough estimate as to the VOLUME of the 25lb bags? Like.. how large of an airtight container should I get for 'em? I'll only need 2 that big. The rest of the nutes will finish a grow with less than the 2.2lb bags.

I'm only looking at buying 25lb bags of A and CalNit because 8lbs costs more than 25 and I need 6lbs of those.

I'll likely run one more round with the GH trio. I wanna kick it off as soon as 55 gallons trash cans get here, and I don't wanna rush a new nute regimen. Especially considering the LED upgrade. Baby steps.

I would look at 5 g buckets with good lids for 25 lbs.
I only bought the 4lb or a little bigger and never used all.
I think you get 124 gallons per pound with the 5/12/26 @ 3.6g per gallon.

I buy the base npk salts, Jack's or jrcroptech , and use cheap ass equate epsom salt to add to the 3-2-1 Jack's

I want to try dry salts. I just think it'll be so much easier to nail the suggested ratios. I slacked on this last round. So tired from multiple 84 hour workweeks. I feel like measuring grams instead of mL will take some of the stress out of the equation and maybe I won't push off my res changes like I did with the Dip-N-Stix grow.

Also.. after a month in the Grove bags, this Dip-N-Stix is FIRE
It's nice full control, start with the base, and add what you want or think is needed.

Stock tank for a+b salts too, if you wanna dump in lbs and keep solution ready to go

for 46$ you can get 50lbs would last awhile lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240707-210559.png
    Screenshot_20240707-210559.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 6
Ok word. I think I need something like 5 or 6 pounds of A and CalNit per run. Buying 3 of the kilogram bags almost costs as much as the 25 pound bag so I'll be buying bulk.

I guess I'll also be searching for some good airtight containers.
Hey that should be a hummm, not a don't think so.

Can you show me the math on that? Something does not sound right to me there. Seems like way overkill on the nutes unless I'm missing something? Are you like draining your res weekly and losing a bunch?

Here's some small math. We do 12 plants a run so I'm going to use that.
12plants/3L a day, 36L or 9.5G a day.
Part A: 9.5*3=28.5 gr/day
Part B: 9.5*2=19.0 gr/day

Lets assume a 70 day flower:
Part A: 70*28.5 = 2000gr
Part B: 70*19 = 1330gr

2kg of part A and 1.33kg of part B for 12 plants @3L a day.

On the Epsom Salt part:

We cut Epsom salt out about a year and haven't looked back.

Here's some small math. We do 12 plants a run so I'm going to use that.
12plants/3L a day, 36L or 9.5G a day.
Part A: 9.5*3=28.5 gr/day
Part B: 9.5*2=19.0 gr/day

Lets assume a 70 day flower:
Part A: 70*28.5 = 2000gr
Part B: 70*19 = 1330gr

On the Epsom Salt part:

We cut Epsom salt out about a year and haven't looked back.
under LEDs or ?

I will freely admit I am operating a calculator while under the influence, but

I think I need something like 5 or 6 pounds of A and CalNit per run.

This is what made my record skip. I think Grump is planning on more than double your use on less plants, in an RDWC.

All the posts I'm reading on reddit and others say they are running well over 1 EC (which is too much IMO already) and are using far less than 10+ pounds of dry salts per run.

But there are several varieties and methods with Jacks. It can be confusing.

I will freely admit I am operating a calculator while under the influence, but

This is what made my record skip. I think Grump is planning on more than double your use on less plants, in an RDWC.

All the posts I'm reading on reddit and others say they are running well over 1 EC (which is too much IMO already) and are using far less than 10+ pounds of dry salts per run.

But there are several varieties and methods with Jacks. It can be confusing.
nobody on reddit has there shit dialed, let alone E.C, Guaranteed, besides some of the ones on macrogrowery.

i start my seeds at 0.1 E.C and work up as needed.

unless youre doing crop steering or playing around with osmotic pressure and matric potential, if youre E.C input is not within 0.1~ of youre E.C output/runoff , wasting nutrients, afaik.

For rock wool/coco.

Dwc will be different but not much

Last edited:
This is DWC.

Lol this is partly why i like mega crop. 2-25lb bags for under $70. And will do 5000 gallons at 500ppm.

Then there is all the different ratios people prefer with jacks.

What i will ask is @GrumpAzz what source water do you intend to ise?

Your well water?

If so what ppm?

Jacks make a version for hard water if its high ppm. Something to possibly consider

I can't get much info on the jacks MagSulfate but i think its basically the same as the equate brand, but EQUATE is cheaper, AFAIK.

I can't get much info on the jacks MagSulfate but i think its basically the same as the equate brand, but EQUATE is cheaper, AFAIK.
Imo its likely that the mag sulphate we get in pure form for bath salts would be less contaminated than that for fertilizer.

Hey that should be a hummm, not a don't think so.

Can you show me the math on that? Something does not sound right to me there. Seems like way overkill on the nutes unless I'm missing something? Are you like draining your res weekly and losing a bunch?
The math was for 8 weeks of veg and 10 weeks of flower with weekly 30-35 gallon res changes. Overkill I know, but I'd rather have than need if you know what I mean. It added up to something like 4+ lbs at their ratios for A and B. So 3 bags of each was nearly the price of the 25lb bags.
Yeah not that I needed 10+ lbs per run but more so the price difference when buying bulk.

This is DWC.

Lol this is partly why i like mega crop. 2-25lb bags for under $70. And will do 5000 gallons at 500ppm.
I've just been seeing a lot of negative reviews regarding their newer formulas.

What i will ask is @GrumpAzz what source water do you intend to ise?
RO/DI water at 0ppm.

I still have a bunch of calnit left over and I'd have more if I didn't fuck up the 2.2lb.calnit bag from when I ran the 210 solos lol

I've just been seeing a lot of negative reviews regarding their newer formulas.
Interesting anything specific? Wondering if its the same stuff as before.

I know they got a lot of hate when they sold out. Politics is always in cannabis

Honestly most people don't truly know what they are talking about.

Im not trying to talk you out of jacks by any means. Just curious

Interesting anything specific? Wondering if its the same stuff as before.

I know they got a lot of hate when they sold out. Politics is always in cannabis
I can't say for sure what all the complaints are. I remember a lot of mention about it precipitating and film issues. Lots of people slamming China.

Honestly most people don't truly know what they are talking about.
This is true about a lot of things. This, and people unwilling to experience any kind of change. I like to wing it, flying by the seat of my pants.

Im not trying to talk you out of jacks by any means. Just curious
No worries. I looked into it first and found a lot of great testimonials, but as I looked into Jack's, I started to see a lot more complaints than anything.

It's cheap and seems easy enough, though, and you say you get great results. That puts it on the radar for sure.

I'm gonna do another run with my GH bottles while I look into it a little more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom