RDWC Overflow design

WeedRider

Bud Brawler
Reaction score
I'm in the drying stage with my first grow and that means updates/improvements for the next hydro cycle. So far I've used a 'simple' DWC which was reliable but susceptible to poor maintenance habits. The resulting unstable water level resulted in poor root development with a lot of air-pruning. For the next iteration of my hydro system I want to explore a simplified RDWC. Just two water reservoirs, the main inside the tent and auxiliary that is outside. This will allow water addition/changes, adding ice packs and pH up/down without entering the tent as well as increasing overall water capacity. Downside is initial complexity but upsides are reduced daily maintenace and less opening of the tent.

The inside reservoir should have an overflow outlet so water level remains consistent. The aux res will have a siphon based system to keep it topped up. Should be able to go several days without opening the tent with this system. Air stones in the main res, maybe also the aux res? Don't know if pumping will reduce the dissolved oxygen.

A water sensor that immediately disables the water pump and sends an alert is the first priority. I have a couple water sensors already just need to wire them to a relay and set up the alerting. Having an overflow system with air stones means the pump shutting off isn't really a problem. Plants will still have water and air. Even though grow room is concrete I'd rather avoid a flooded floor.

If anyone knows overflow it's the reef guys. But they do face different challenges than we do. Here are a few designs that I think might work.
Types_of_Overflow_Drains-03.jpg

The Durso standpipe looks promising. I'm not too worried about noise but quiet is always good. One thing I'm still researching is root barriers. Slotted weir is fine for fish but no barrier at all for roots.

I'm considering a cylindrical guard constructed with no-seeum mesh around the downpipe. Roots will grow into it but hopefully not enough to clog. Anyone have any suggestions here?

Are you planning a horizontal return line from one res to the other? If so, Current Culture makes filters that fit into their bulkheads. Kinda pricey but they're high quality fittings.

I've seen roots grow through all kinds of shit you wouldn't think they would, and clog things up you wouldn't believe. Like @GrumpAzz linked, those seem to work OK in the systems I've seen em used. This is really the area of expertise for @Aqua Man, though @smoke might be able to offer you some suggestions given the size of plants he produces.

I've seen roots grow through all kinds of shit you wouldn't think they would, and clog things up you wouldn't believe. Like @GrumpAzz linked, those seem to work OK in the systems I've seen em used. This is really the area of expertise for @Aqua Man, though @smoke might be able to offer you some suggestions given the size of plants he produces.
I'm pretty sure smoke runs a Current Culture system. He produces some monster plants, that's for sure

Here's the system I built. It's a little convoluted but it worked like a dream. I can pump from the top off res into the control res or out the drain, and also from the control res to either the plant res or the drain. Made nute changes pretty quick and easy. I did flood the tent once, though. I have no overflow protection.
20230418_213812.jpg
View attachment 20230419_143159.mp4
Ended up with some rot on that lid and swapped it out for a serving tray. Wood in a hydroponics system isn't a great idea...

I'm pretty sure smoke runs a Current Culture system. He produces some monster plants, that's for sure

Here's the system I built. It's a little convoluted but it worked like a dream. I can pump from the top off res into the control res or out the drain, and also from the control res to either the plant res or the drain. Made nute changes pretty quick and easy. I did flood the tent once, though. I have no overflow protection.
View attachment 23110
View attachment 23111
Ended up with some rot on that lid, though, and swapped it out for a serving tray.
you're gonna wanna fix that overflow protection, man. last thing you want is 20+ gallons of nutrient solution anywhere other than contained in the system. theoretically an RDWC shouldn't overflow but that doesn't mean it won't with the right conditions. Another bet is a smart meter that controls the flow pump. if it detects flood conditions, have it kill the pump so you don't end up with a blocked drain condition at the blockage. really, if that happened, your plants are kinda fucked without immediate response anyways.

you're gonna wanna fix that overflow protection, man. last thing you want is 20+ gallons of nutrient solution anywhere other than contained in the system. theoretically an RDWC shouldn't overflow but that doesn't mean it won't with the right conditions. Another bet is a smart meter that controls the flow pump. if it detects flood conditions, have it kill the pump so you don't end up with a blocked drain condition at the blockage. really, if that happened, your plants are kinda fucked without immediate response anyways.
I stuffed some filter media into my return line and it slowed the flow and the pump outran the return. Definitely a wake up call.

No floods since, but now that you've warned me about it, it's bound to fail if I don't take action. That's just how things go. Way to put that out there 🤣.

I'll heed your advice and nothing will happen, but if I ignore your advice, I'll flood my tent again. I caught it last time and the water never left the tent, but it'll dump 50 gallons in there if it happens while I'm at work. That'd be a mess.

I stuffed some filter media into my return line and it slowed the flow and the pump outran the return. Definitely a wake up call.

No floods since, but now that you've warned me about it, it's bound to fail if I don't take action. That's just how things go. Way to put that out there 🤣.

I'll heed your advice and nothing will happen, but if I ignore your advice, I'll flood my tent again. I caught it last time and the water never left the tent, but it'll dump 50 gallons in there if it happens while I'm at work. That'd be a mess.
yeah dude. i learned my lesson in my dutch bucket system. using hydroton as the media in paint strainer bags inside the buckets, 3/4" returns on each bucket. Came in one morning to 10 out of 12 gallons sitting on the floor of my office, along with my servers and the surge protectors running all the computer equipment. learned real quick don't play fuck around with recirculating hydro. you gotta have redundant fail safes. it's just like information security. a password is ok (not really) but having MFA, biometrics, and least privilege access rights sure decreases the risk of a breached user account.

Are you planning a horizontal return line from one res to the other? If so, Current Culture makes filters that fit into their bulkheads. Kinda pricey but they're high quality fittings.

I use those filters on sites #2 and #3 modules only and i haven't had any problems with the roots plugging my system.

Not totally horizontal, would have a down section for a bit then over. Those fittings look great though, amazon shit wasn't very inspiring.

Good call on the drain/fill considerations.

Not totally horizontal, would have a down section for a bit then over. Those fittings look great though, amazon shit wasn't very inspiring.

Good call on the drain/fill considerations.
Yeah, being able to perform a quick res change makes a big difference.

I'm happy to see you adding the R to the DWC. I'm extremely glad I went that route. It's a little bit of a challenge but there are some brilliant minds here that'll keep you on the right track.

Good luck and keep us posted.

View attachment 23110
View attachment 23111
Ended up with some rot on that lid and swapped it out for a serving tray. Wood in a hydroponics system isn't a great idea...
I need to make a res/auto watering system and trying to piece everything out but I'm not sure what all I need and what it's called

Water pump
PVC
Trash can or tote
Floraflex

What I have
Drip emitters

I do better hands on and seeing the shit in my hands

Love the Bean animal overflow~!
I had a simple plan for a RDWC, but my overflows are in each bucket so the level in each is always the same.
It also allows for surface extraction and greater O2 exchange in each pot.
DSC_0230.JPG
My original thought was to use Dutch pots, but it could be adapted to any pot.
The drain level is easily adjustable with slip tubes.

I need to make a res/auto watering system and trying to piece everything out but I'm not sure what all I need and what it's called

Water pump
PVC
Trash can or tote
Floraflex

What I have
Drip emitters

I do better hands on and seeing the shit in my hands
I'm not sure if the two systems would require the same parts. You're talking about an auto-watering system, right? Something to water your media automatically?

There are a few guys on here doing something similar. I think @Bandit420 and @tobh do autowatering of different styles. I'm not really sure who to tag in for this. Maybe start up a new thread explaining what you're after and the right folks will come to the rescue.

Love the Bean animal overflow~!
I had a simple plan for a RDWC, but my overflows are in each bucket so the level in each is always the same.
It also allows for surface extraction and greater O2 exchange in each pot.
View attachment 23135
My original thought was to use Dutch pots, but it could be adapted to any pot.
The drain level is easily adjustable with slip tubes.

Are they noisy? That seems to be one drawback of surface extraction. But if it gives better O2 exchange would be worth it.

Are they noisy? That seems to be one drawback of surface extraction. But if it gives better O2 exchange would be worth it.
Compared to not having surface extraction yes, they are noticeable.
Noisy?
I only dreamed up that set up. Never run it, didn't like the Dutch buckets I got.
I am still all soil and feeling loyal, but compelled.

Back
Top Bottom