Newbie learning how to hydro

Hey smoke!!🍻
No
I was thinking what to do about it, and ordered some non turn valves.

Hey smoke!!🍻
No
I was thinking what to do about it, and ordered some non turn valves.

Place it above water level or in-line check valves
You want your pump up above water lavel.
If that can't be done get extra line and run it up way above the water level so water will not be able to defeat it.
Don't trust check valves to do it all.
Some even reduce pumps efficiency or cause overheating.

Don't trust check valves to do it all.
Some even reduce pumps efficiency or cause overheating.
Kids fish tank pump has a check valve and i had it like an inch above the tank, water went all the way to the pump when the power went out.

>"Don't trust check valves to do it all" <<<

Now its 3 feet above the tank and no issues.

Good day sirs !!!

Already finished with changing my water.
Ppm's are done also, 201 with 1:1:1:1 ratios.
Also rinsed net pots with some 1% peroxide solution. And since i haven't found any pharmacy, the only 0.5lt of 3% peroxide i had, went to my 130lt (34.3Gallons) system.

I will change the water once again in a few days. Before I'll do that, I will add peroxide 35% I'll start with 3ml/Gallon.
As Moe said, to clean the system from a dead bacteria before changing reservoir 🔥

I also ordered some calcium hypochlorite.
Observer hey!!!
I noticed different strength percentages on different packages of hypochlorite. Which strength% do you have, you mentioned something about adding 1gr to 1 Gallon.

So, let's see what happens😁✌🏼🙌🏻🔥

Last edited:
Greetings sirs!!✌🏼✨
Hope you all doing well 🙏🏻🤠

My research continues here lol
So, it's been two days since i changed reservoir and kept ppm at 201. Water temps are around 19, and ph~5.9.
I'll change reservoir again in a couple of days.
Also will flush those net post with some peroxide solution once again.

Plants showed a little new growth btw, but there is some deficiency noticeable also. Maybe i should raise some ppm's?

All your comments are super appreciated folks!!

Peace 🍀IMG_20240130_140913.jpgIMG_20240130_141313.jpgIMG_20240130_141415.jpg

Greetings sirs!!✌🏼✨
Hope you all doing well 🙏🏻🤠

My research continues here lol
So, it's been two days since i changed reservoir and kept ppm at 201. Water temps are around 19, and ph~5.9.
I'll change reservoir again in a couple of days.
Also will flush those net post with some peroxide solution once again.

Plants showed a little new growth btw, but there is some deficiency noticeable also. Maybe i should raise some ppm's?

All your comments are super appreciated folks!!

Peace 🍀View attachment 42110View attachment 42111View attachment 42112
The key here is to get the snot under control. Get the fungus out of the stalk and root zone.

With the snot on your roots, it severely hinders the uptake of water and nutes. Thats how root rot kills the plant - by starving it.

Key here would be pics of the roots and stalk area like before so we can compare.

You can also mechanically clean the roots in by spraying them gently in the sink. This might give you some instant relief.

But no, I would advise against changing EC until the bacteria is under control.

I would also back the lights waaaay down either move them away or turn them down or both. Give them time to recover without putting them to work.

Moe.Red!!!
Hey and thanks!!!

Sure, i attaching a pic of that stalk, and some different roots.

Actually i was thinking of preparing some peroxide solution and submerging those net pots for some time into it, so peroxide can do its job.

Very well 🙏🏻IMG_20240130_153200.jpgIMG_20240130_154242.jpgIMG_20240130_154451.jpgIMG_20240130_154600.jpg

OK looking much improved bushman. I think you have the infection under control.

I have to say tho, that stalk looks in pretty bad shape. I'm rooting for you, (pun intended) but I'm concerned that plant might not make it. You have some scar tissue forming, so let's baby it and see for a few more days. But you might want to consider getting some seeds ready for a do-over just to remove some challenges in your first harvest. Totally your call on that.

OK looking much improved bushman. I think you have the infection under control.

I have to say tho, that stalk looks in pretty bad shape. I'm rooting for you, (pun intended) but I'm concerned that plant might not make it. You have some scar tissue forming, so let's baby it and see for a few more days. But you might want to consider getting some seeds ready for a do-over just to remove some challenges in your first harvest. Totally your call on that.
Lol, yeah, as you said, today i started some new seeds germination.✌🏼

But I'll also continue to nurture those unlucky plants, to see what happens and to learn 👍🙌🏻

Thank you Moe.Red

I’d have to agree 100% with moe.once you get these things happening to them from the beginning they just struggle so it is best to pull the pin and start fresh.the new seedlings will catch them very quickly.

3 options.

Live using beneficial microbes and or fungi
Sterile using caustics like h2o2 or chlorine
Nothing just wing it.

Smoke is the only one I know who purposefully does the 3rd with consistent good results. But he is a master grower with everything dialed in.

I have traditionally done live. I started with sterile and moved to live as I got better. This grow I’m doing neither just for giggles but have peroxide on the shelf just in case.

Between peroxide and bleach my preference is peroxide because as it breaks down it adds o2 in the root zone. 1 dose per week getting to 10ppm is a good preventative dose. How much that is in your system depends on the water volume and the % peroxide you are using. In the states 3, 12, and 30% are common concentrations. I think I’ve seen 20% in Europe.

Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 Test Strips, Low Level, 0-100 ppm [Vial of 100 Strips] https://a.co/d/hzoHwB0

If you can find these it makes it pretty easy.

If you need to treat root rot 25 ppm every 3 days for 2 weeks then back down to the 10ppm per week to keep it gone.
even better, did not have the h2o2 ppm/test strips info

I'll have to get some

Thanks moe.

And news bushman?
Hey Moe!!
Good day!!🙏🏼

Yes!!
Good news are, i already germinated new seeds and getting ready to do things right. This time i germinated in rockwool. Also received good amount of h2o2 to work with.
Bad news are, i found that my ppm pen is not working correctly, and that's sucks... That was one of the causes of my fail, probably. Already ordered a new one👍

I don't see those previous plants getting better, poor girls got screwed badly.. But that's fine, I'll try to do my homework better now.

Struggling a little bit with tight work schedule, but I'll make it.
I'll be back with an update soon

Thank you so much for showing interest with such a noob like me.
I really appreciate it 🤝🏼
And news bushman?

I don't see those previous plants getting better, poor girls got screwed badly
I wouldn't trash them all. Keep the best as a trial against these new seeds, you'll be surprised.

Ph problems explains some of your plants issues, it will be interesting to read the new pen. How did you find out your old pen was messed up?

Is your ph pen ok too? Those do require maintenance if you dry them out.
Recently i bought this one, looks legit.
By maintenance you mean calibration? Maybe i should order some calibration liquids also..

Yeah they sell it I’m sure

IMG_3579.jpeg

Without maint you will be roughly right on ph. Which was smokes point above ph can have a big impact on plant health in hydro.

If it’s easier to get your hands on chemicals there you can make your own storage solution. The probe relies on this solution as a reference point inside the probe.

1706992592712.gif

Here i have some new auto seedlings.

I left them in a small 'tub propagator thing', for a couple of days, in hope to get a bigger tap root before putting them into net pots
Everything is as clean as possible.
Clay pebbles are sterile boiled, water is clean bottled, with some Terra Aquatica pro roots stimulator dose.
Weather is pretty cold, so im happy that i have some hps to warm them.

Other plants didn't end up well. Without lights on, it was also pretty cold in the room, so they where wilting..
But hey,don't worry, what you gonna do, its a battle here, and there is battlefield casualties lol

Now I'll prepare and clean the system one more time.
Also building a mini dwc system for seedlings, just for fun and to try something. It would be cool to have those net pots already with some roots before adding them in final buckets, something like faster transition..IMG_20240204_113617.jpg

We'll see..

Kind regards and thanks 🙏🏼

Greetings sirs!! 🤠
I hope you all doing well 🙏🏼

What a storm yesterday.. Had a 12 hours power outage lol.. happily i was running only hps for seedlings and a water pump.
I decided to sterilise my system with calcium hypochlorite (70%), very good stuff, almost non smelly and effective, i watched all that aquatic bacteria die almost instantly.🔥
Gladly I'm ready for future power outages, i acquired couple of car batteries, an inverter and a charger. Those might help with air pumps at least.

Those seedlings are at day 9 after i soaked those seeds. Mind the seedling with yellow tips, it opened up like that, doesn't look bad to me right now.
As you see, i found some 1.2 gallon jugs with almost perfect fit, covered them with a black nylon and placed those net pots in them. Mind the crappy foil, i was looking for something simple to temporarily cover holes and light... those jugs are work in progress lol.. I wanted to make a mini dwc for seedlings, but I'm still waiting for air splitters.
Rockwool cubes are placed somewhere in the middle of a net pot. Water level slightly touches lower levels of net pot and hydroton. Basically something like kratky right? I'll change the water tomorrow and wait for some roots to show up (worked for me previously 🤷🏼‍♂️). Right after they'll be going into the System.
Here i wanted to ask, what are your starting ppm's guys. Right now they are in RO water with some TA root stimulator and 3ml/lt of 3% peroxide.
Previously received my new EC pen, calibration fluids and storage solution for PH pen.

Hope i ain't done any stupidity once again lol

Thanks for taking your time and reading 🙏🏼✌🏼

IMG_20240209_110939.jpgIMG_20240209_104326.jpgIMG_20240209_104511.jpgIMG_20240209_104612.jpg

My fellers scientists and botanists!!
Newbie reporting!!

It's a pleasure learning from you🙏🏼❤️

Just changed water in the jugs yesterday. This time i made nutrient solution with 210 ppm for start, 1.1.1.1 cal mag, green, brown, pink ratios. Also added a little of 3% peroxide and TA roots stimulator.
WoW i was surprised, looked like plants loved it, i already saw difference after 10 hours. Even a problematic looking seedling was happy.
I love seeing happy plants!!!

On Tuesday they'll probably go into their final reservoirs. We'll see, depends on their root development. If no, I'll change water one more time..

I noticed some weird salt buid up in my micro(brown) nutrien bottle, why so, maybe its expired? Also bought this CX wilt guard stuff. What do you guys think? I think that i might have felt victim of marketing one more time lol. Says, it prevents root problems 🤷🏼‍♂️

In case if i doing stupid things, don't hesitate to comment. Big thanks for helping guys

Kind regards

IMG_20240211_130159.jpgIMG_20240211_130128.jpgIMG_20240211_130143.jpgIMG_20240211_130058.jpgIMG_20240211_130452.jpg

Back
Top Bottom