Russet Mites treatment?

Garbage_bear

Puff Paladin
Reaction score
Ok I am still dealing with these Russet mite bastards. Every time I think They're dead I see leaf curling or ridges going up. I have three plants they are now on. I have been using a combination of Micronized Sulphur, Diatomaceous Earth and Green Cleaner. The Green Cleaner is very expensive so I don't think I'll be able to keep that up. I think the sulphur is causing an excess problem on one plant. Looks like I am getting some lighter color on it and some yellow leafs on the bottom so I am spraying it with some Epsom salts mixed in water. They have about a month and a half before flower starts so I. can still use DE until flower. I also have pure spray which is a mineral oil spray which kills everything but I already fried one plant with that stuff. You have to be careful and get the ratio right so I don't want to use that unless I have to. It's just like neem oil.

I also have some Dr. Doom bug bombs which are just Pyrethrin. I am thinking of using those tonight. I have a mantis egg in there but it never hatched so its up to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think kicking Trustful in the nuts will help my situation but I sure feel like doing that lol. This is a very frustrating problem. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm gonna pull up a chair on this, my pest management skills are trash and I've been fortunate so far but only a matter of time before something happens.

I hear russets are pretty hard to handle and near impossible to see.

I'm gonna pull up a chair on this, my pest management skills are trash and I've been fortunate so far but only a matter of time before something happens.

I hear russets are pretty hard to handle and near impossible to see.
Yeah so far they are not too fun. I have been dealing with them for months. Spider mites and thrips are nothing! These things are like cock roaches. The plants are super healthy except one so I think I am helping. They just won't die!

Hey GarbageBear, I have a friend who ran a legal dispensary for 15+ years and swears by these.

I used these last year in my greenhouse and will throw one in my tent when I bring something in like a clone. I had very few pest issues in the greenhouse. My friend who recommended these, because he grows for his own dispensary, has to get his flower tested for residuals like pesticides. He never failed a state sanctioned test.

Might be worth a try. They are not cheap, something like $20, read the directions.

Ok I am still dealing with these Russet mite bastards. Every time I think They're dead I see leaf curling or ridges going up. I have three plants they are now on. I have been using a combination of Micronized Sulphur, Diatomaceous Earth and Green Cleaner. The Green Cleaner is very expensive so I don't think I'll be able to keep that up. I think the sulphur is causing an excess problem on one plant. Looks like I am getting some lighter color on it and some yellow leafs on the bottom so I am spraying it with some Epsom salts mixed in water. They have about a month and a half before flower starts so I. can still use DE until flower. I also have pure spray which is a mineral oil spray which kills everything but I already fried one plant with that stuff. You have to be careful and get the ratio right so I don't want to use that unless I have to. It's just like neem oil.

I also have some Dr. Doom bug bombs which are just Pyrethrin. I am thinking of using those tonight. I have a mantis egg in there but it never hatched so its up to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think kicking Trustful in the nuts will help my situation but I sure feel like doing that lol. This is a very frustrating problem. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
When i read up on micronized sulfur, it said to treat 3 times in 1 week then check and repeat as necessary.
Im sure youve done this already, bugs fucken suck😑

When i read up on micronized sulfur, it said to treat 3 times in 1 week then check and repeat as necessary.
Im sure youve done this already, bugs fucken suck😑
Um actually no….instructions? Phfffft
But thanks for reading them for me! I was just treating once a week. I just didn’t want to over do it and get problems.

These shits again?

Since you are outdoors maybe you need to go wider. Treat the ground and other plants around as well? IDK do mites only eat cannabis?

As long as your are still in veg........

1/4 cup Dr. Woods Peppermint
1/4 cup Dr. Woods Tea Tree
1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
1 cup rubbing alcohol, no higher than 70%
2 quarts warm water

Mix everything well. Everything can be purchased easily on Amazon. This is very effective at killing everything, including all the different types of mites. I spray my room and pots down with it after every grow too. I’ve bought everything to kill tues on the market at one time or another- this old-time recipe seems to work best for me for just about every issue. ONLY IN VEG!

Spray everywhere up and down the plants, especially underneath leaves and on top of the soil or coco in the pots..........no need to over spray, just make sure everything is lightly coated.

Last edited:

2 quarts warm water

Mix everything well. Everything can be purchased easily on Amazon. This is very effective at killing everything, including all the different types of mites. I spray my room and pots down with it after every grow too. I’ve bought everything to kill tues on the market at one time or another- this old-time recipe seems to work best for me for just about every issue. ONLY IN VEG!

Spray everywhere up and down the plants, especially underneath leaves and on top of the soil or coco in the pots..........no need to over spray, just make sure everything is lightly coated.
@Garbage_bear
This man probably knows more about growing than many including myself. He has been in the plant business for many years. If he is telling you this it is probably about the best option.

2 quarts warm water

Is it possible to get rid of them outdoors, or is this something that needs to get applied to every crop going forward?

Reactions: MDK
Yes, it can be applied outdoors…..but as always, apply in the evening or dark to give the plant some time to adjust. Applying in the sun or with the lights on, will stress the plants which is never a good thing. This is a very good preventative too, so it’s worth making at a minimum, 1 application at the flip into flowering. Of course, if you see a problem, spray it as soon as you see a problem developing. I wouldn’t spray it more than once every 3-4 weeks though. This spray, or something like it, has been used for probably 100 years and was found in a book on farming and gardening in the early 1900’s. MAKE SURE YOU CONTINUE TO SHAKE THE SPRAY BOTTLE continuously while spraying so everything doesn’t separate before you are done.

Thanks Anthem for the kind words, appreciate it.

Is it possible to get rid of them outdoors, or is this something that needs to get applied to every crop going forward?
I wonder that too Moe, I had them last year think. At least that is what somebody told me. I sprayed sulfur twice and never seen the problem again. This year Im spraying Monterey Horticultural oil. It is the same as Suffoil x which is effective on russet mites and other insects and powdery mildew and Botrytis (bud rot). You cannot spray sulfur with oil. It will do a lot of damage. im gonna start in a couple weeks with it every 2 weeks until September.

I wonder that too Moe, I had them last year think. At least that is what somebody told me. I sprayed sulfur twice and never seen the problem again. This year Im spraying Monterey Horticultural oil. It is the same as Suffoil x which is effective on russet mites and other insects and powdery mildew and Botrytis (bud rot). You cannot spray sulfur with oil. It will do a lot of damage. im gonna start in a couple weeks with it every 2 weeks until September.
My understanding is they are carried by the wind, so if there is an infestation in the area that is a chance they will find there way back to your plants. They are drawn to healthy green growing plants.

I'm indoors, a little easier for me to recover long term I think. Between cleaning with clorox and using sulfur, Smite, and Lost Coat Plant Therapy they seem to be gone here. Time will tell. I have since run a grow in that space without issues. But I treated in Veg with sulfur just in case.

2 quarts warm water

I’m trying this next.

Has anyone tried those predatory Beatles that build a soil sells? I have to Durban’s that are infested with these bastards. I have about a month and a half before flower and would like to kill ‘em all before flower.

Those Beatles looks pretty bad ass. I am thinking maybe adding those just before flower because I won’t really be able to spray then.

Has anyone tried those predatory Beatles that build a soil sells? I have to Durban’s that are infested with these bastards. I have about a month and a half before flower and would like to kill ‘em all before flower.

Those Beatles looks pretty bad ass. I am thinking maybe adding those just before flower because I won’t really be able to spray then.
I’d really like to see that. Pls post it up if you try.

Have you confirmed it is russet mites with a scope? Only russets? Can you post a pic?

Have you confirmed it is russet mites with a scope? Only russets? Can you post a pic?
No I haven't seen them but every sign points to Russet mites. The plants are covered in DE right now so I will post pics tomorrow after I spray sulfur on them again.

Do you have any magnification gear?

Personally I would want a confirmation before treatment. We never got there with your clone. Only saw the leaves.

Keep in mind that you want a bleach cleaner not iso to clean any tools you use. And of course wear gloves so you are not the super spreader if they are there.

You can normally spray anything up to 10 days into flowering, since bud/pistol production has not started.

Do you have any magnification gear?

Personally I would want a confirmation before treatment. We never got there with your clone. Only saw the leaves.

Keep in mind that you want a bleach cleaner not iso to clean any tools you use. And of course wear gloves so you are not the super spreader if they are there.
No I don’t have a scope besides a small hand held scope for looking at tricombs. I’m sure they are mites. It has spread from plant to plant from that f’n clone.

Some pics - I'm not sure if it is a losing battle at this point or if I should just continue the war. between these two Durbans I'll probably get a pound of weed.(that white stuff is Diatomaceous Earth)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.15 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.26 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.34 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.41 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 1.35.49 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

I feel your pain. I went through a two week period on my last grow where I thought i had russet mites. But it turns out it was my ceramic heater that was hanging in my tent. That was making me leafs curl a bit. I went and get a cheap wifi microscope on Amazon and didn't see anything luckily.

Back
Top Bottom