True Confessions of an American Outlaw

Bandit if you are going to split that light it looks like all you would need to do to have remote control of the lights with some sort of a dimmer would be to trace the wires form the telephone style plug and see where they go. I wonder where the driver is. That is typically where the remote control of the driver and dimming occurs. It should be pretty doable just need to do some investigation.
Yeah I'd have to open it up to see what all is in there and where it's at. I'm guessing where the knobs are at would be a good place to start.
If I split it I'll just need the extended jumper cable since they'll still work together, just not side by side and instead in a row.
The controller gives control over white and blue diodes but another way would be to split it and install common 120v light dimmers in the power cord. Light might look a little Mad Max and not have individual spectra control but could at least be dimmed down.
Although you say this is "just another grow" its still a badass grow anyone should be proud of. Looking forwards to the smoke report! That coffee smelling strain dayum lol.

Thank Z!
I'm super happy with the results and I think this is gonna be one of those hauls where nothing looked like it was dripping resin off every leaf but the unseen aroma is very loud and tempting. There is definitely some very good pot in there I'll be proud to smoke on in a couple months.
I guess I'm at the point in life and in this room where things are routine and predictable for the most part. Equipment is all reliable and performs well so I'm not fighting anything like temps, RH, lack of light, etc.
I haven't grown regular seeds, been on a pheno hunt for breeding, or hunted some special unicorn strain in quite some time. Being locked in on this style of grow and growing greenpoint fem strains has really simplified the process. Almost like turn on a machine, harvest weed in 120 days. I probably take that easiness for granted these days and need to remember all the struggles that happened on my way to this point more often.

Yeah I'd have to open it up to see what all is in there and where it's at. I'm guessing where the knobs are at would be a good place to start.
If I split it I'll just need the extended jumper cable since they'll still work together, just not side by side and instead in a row.
The controller gives control over white and blue diodes but another way would be to split it and install common 120v light dimmers in the power cord. Light might look a little Mad Max and not have individual spectra control but could at least be dimmed down.

Thank Z!
I'm super happy with the results and I think this is gonna be one of those hauls where nothing looked like it was dripping resin off every leaf but the unseen aroma is very loud and tempting. There is definitely some very good pot in there I'll be proud to smoke on in a couple months.
I guess I'm at the point in life and in this room where things are routine and predictable for the most part. Equipment is all reliable and performs well so I'm not fighting anything like temps, RH, lack of light, etc.
I haven't grown regular seeds, been on a pheno hunt for breeding, or hunted some special unicorn strain in quite some time. Being locked in on this style of grow and growing greenpoint fem strains has really simplified the process. Almost like turn on a machine, harvest weed in 120 days. I probably take that easiness for granted these days and need to remember all the struggles that happened on my way to this point more often.
Bandit you might want to do some research on installing the dimmer. My worry is the driver will not like the dimmer. I know from talks with a tech over at trolmaster those telephone jacks are designed to do the dimming by voltage running thru the wires. They run off zero to 10 volts. I was thinking you could split those off. I have fluence stuff and the dimmer goes directly into the driver and runs off 0 to 10 volts.

Rhizosphere autopsy day:alien:

Not too much binding and no coiling, just a paper thin mat of feeder roots between soil and plastic

IMG_5140.JPG

Reclaimed about 25 gallons of soil for reuse. The mix of Stonington and Lush damn near looks better than it did out of the bag

IMG_5142.JPG

Free range roots. 6 rootballs developed by airpots in veg then went nuts in the large solid wall containers.
These will go into a city collected compost bin. They'll compost it then I can buy that compost they make from everybody's bin at $2/yard. Given all the microherds I add to my bin with these root balls, that's some damn good compost they sell ;)

IMG_5144.JPG

Spectramax 1000 install 😋

Winch system and safety catch. The winches raise and lower the light and once level the safety catches are tightened up to take weight off the winches

IMG_5152.JPG

Walking it up with the touch of a button👇

View attachment IMG_5145.MOV

Pics don't really capture intensity but this fucker is large and very bright. My room has never been lit like this even when it was under HID.
Also looks like if I do this right, plant counts will go from 6 to 8😈

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

They said it would run at 905 watts and it's running at 905 watts 🤘

IMG_5150.JPG

hells yeah!!! looks like you don't even need to split those lights. but if you wanted to i could walk you through the wiring to keep your controls, just hollar and i got your back.

damn i didn't realize that light was so heavy.. good thing you put the safety cords on. i took my safety lines down when i took out the heavy lec's. with that new thing you want all the protection you can get!!!

so that uses a different controller than the solarsystems?

man those really are some nice roots from those large containers. it's more what i want mine to look like thats for sure, i get the bottoms like that but only a few inches of the bottom, you have strong roots way up near the top of the container and full throughout... that's the part i need! ya know it was easier when my lights were the bottleneck in my grow!!! Ha!

🙃

hells yeah!!! looks like you don't even need to split those lights. but if you wanted to i could walk you through the wiring to keep your controls, just hollar and i got your back.

damn i didn't realize that light was so heavy.. good thing you put the safety cords on. i took my safety lines down when i took out the heavy lec's. with that new thing you want all the protection you can get!!!

so that uses a different controller than the solarsystems?

man those really are some nice roots from those large containers. it's more what i want mine to look like thats for sure, i get the bottoms like that but only a few inches of the bottom, you have strong roots way up near the top of the container and full throughout... that's the part i need! ya know it was easier when my lights were the bottleneck in my grow!!! Ha!

🙃

I really couldn't be happier with those roots. You're right, feeders thru the entire column of soil is a really good sign of good fast draining soil with great water penetration leaving no dry zones. And the way the airpots set the stage is awesome.
After pulling them apart you can see the main core that started in the airpot is there but larger and instead of all the roots continuing to be airpruned, they grew into long ropes. When you got that kinda action going on and they go in a large pot full of rich soil, everything up top comes ez.

Yeah it uses a different controller. Kinda the same but only red and white channels, no blue. I'm guessing the solarsystem controller will work on it but since it was on sale and I would more than likely run the SS550 and Spectramax on different programs, I went ahead and ordered the spectramax controller with the light. That gets installed and put thru the paces today.

This light is forcing me to make some changes to my room I thought would be possible but never did because I didn't have big lights to do it.
So rather than try to downsize this light or anything like that, I'm upsizing the bloom space from taking up 1/3 of the room to 1/2 the room.
Instead of just one SS550, there will be two.
The footprint will go from 3'x8' to 4'x9' and plant count will go from 6 to more than likely 9. I'll be losing some free space in the center of the room so I guess no more Napoleon Dynamite dancing in the g/room from now on🙃

dance-slide.gif

And instead of the power pull staying at around 1300 watts, it will jump to 1800 and change.

But it's like putting a big ass new motor in a car. Now the transmission, brakes, wheels, and speakers all need to be upgraded too.

I'll be bringing in what I'll call "stripper poles". Two poles in the middle of the room going floor to ceiling with pole mounted oscillating fans hanging off them. I'll be moving air in areas of this room I've never moved air before because of the expanded footprint.

The light is also encroaching on the ceiling fan so I'm upgrading it to a smaller 22", it's 36" now, and the new fan is more powerful even though it's smaller. That should prevent the fan blades from smacking the winch and safety catch lines and give me even more air movement.

One hang up right now is I have a dilemma regarding the big tray. It only holds six plants and it's the foundation for the trellis net poles. The ez road would be to ditch the tray and maybe use two kiddie pools as catch trays but then I'd lose the trellis system. I have other trays in the shed so maybe some sort of multi tray arrangement or use the big tray and saucers will be the play, IDK yet.
I could make it ez and keep the plant count at 6 but having grow space without a plant will eat at me thru the whole grow knowing I coulda fit more in there.

I've also had to turn the spectramax so instead of a grid pattern it will be linear. It's an electrical inconvenience running the cords but it relieves stress on the winches for a better lifting angle which also gives me more headroom. Another rafter installed woulda cured it but turning the light also moves the driver housing sides off the wall and into open air where it can be cooled down a bit better.
It's never as ez as simply plugging in a light 🫠

I could make it ez and keep the plant count at 6 but having grow space without a plant will eat at me thru the whole grow knowing I coulda fit more in there.

It's never as ez as simply plugging in a light 🫠
This times so many~!
I feel like I only have 17 since some did not pop.🤪
Already eating at me.👊

This is new

View attachment IMG_5154.MOV

I never realized until today that I can put two winch receivers on the same channel so the remote can operate more than two winches at one time.🤦‍♂️
So with that, all 4 spectramax winches are set to the same channel and now all four corners move at the same time rather than having to walk it up and down one side at a time.

And now that I'm going with two SS550s, I turned them to fit both and since the backside hanger is out of reach now, they too got put on winches

View attachment IMG_5155.MOV

How the footprint is shaping out...

IMG_5158.JPG

Max power output winners on the par meter:
1st generation SS550 - 1900
2nd generation SS550 - 1700
Spectramax 1000 - 1300

For reference, on my PAR meter the Sun mid Summer with no clouds in the sky hits 1800
So yeah...A six year old LED just beat it's upgraded sister and the new sexy tech on the ol par meter folks. Blurple power Y'all!

Sup bro

Thank Z!
Sup bro. My bad for the late response, been hella busy. But yeah man im all about the aroma and taste of the buds, bag appeal is not important to me for sure. If i grow something andnit looks good but has cardboard terps i consider it a runt lol.
Predictable is good in a grow room dude so im jealous lol. My room is at the behest of the local weather. Really want to build a grow shed and spray foam insulate it and put in a mini split and never care about rh or temps outside again.

Just checked out greenpoint seeds and dayum they look legit af. Will def get some of their beans. Really like purple punch so their Purple cake is gonna be in my tent one day soon. What strains are you liking most from them?

Im gonna pop a few regs next run, some @dragonsflamegenetics Triangle death kush. Gonna pop a couple extra and hopefully will end up with 4 fems 🤞

wow man, my head is spinning a bit from all these awesome updates.... info galore!! but man i'm still back about five posts still replying in my head!!! hahaha

but Oh my, i can't believe just how big that light is!!! wow!! it makes the 550's look tiny!!!!

i am very shocked on the PAR... not only the new light lacking but 1st gen more than new gen solarsystem!!!

lets just hope par doesn't equate to better growth... (sarcasm)

OH and brilliant on the winch base jumpers!!! straight genius!!

I didn't know I needed winches until I was today old.

Def a must have when I’m runnin again !

One of the coolest gadgets to come along in years and they were gone almost as fast as they appeared.
There's new old stock of the newer version out there called the Sun Hoist. However it's app/bluetooth controlled and from I understand is wonky AF.
These Sun Winches are a little less wonky but not without issues of their own. Keeping things level takes time since all angles are not equal so you get different lift times per winch. Nothing too bad but once height is set then it takes a few moments of unplugging wires to deactivate winches while others do activate to level it out.
RF interference can fuck with the receiver so best to unplug when not in use.
The original string was not rated for 50lbs at all. Maybe 20-30lbs. Lots of growers had lights come crashing down due to broken string.
And lastly, the noise they make kinda sucks. A whining motor very close to nails on a chalk board kind of annoying.

This is one area where somebody needs to reignite the torch so to speak. Sun System aint coming back so it's up Gavita, AC Infinity, and maybe even Gualala who make light rail mover systems to start making automated light lifts again.
Lights have only gotten bigger, heavier, and harder to reach. But when I look for light lift systems the industry is still in the dark ages of old school HID and big boxy reflectors. Like R&D has been stalled out for a decade when it comes to hanging lights. They came up with ratchet rope hangers and said that's it, we're good now.

Sup bro

Sup bro. My bad for the late response, been hella busy. But yeah man im all about the aroma and taste of the buds, bag appeal is not important to me for sure. If i grow something andnit looks good but has cardboard terps i consider it a runt lol.
Predictable is good in a grow room dude so im jealous lol. My room is at the behest of the local weather. Really want to build a grow shed and spray foam insulate it and put in a mini split and never care about rh or temps outside again.

Just checked out greenpoint seeds and dayum they look legit af. Will def get some of their beans. Really like purple punch so their Purple cake is gonna be in my tent one day soon. What strains are you liking most from them?

Im gonna pop a few regs next run, some @dragonsflamegenetics Triangle death kush. Gonna pop a couple extra and hopefully will end up with 4 fems 🤞

I like Greenpoint a lot and have grown a lot of their strains. When I get into a good breeder, I tend to stick with them and damn near grow their entire catalog. Bodhi and LaPlata were it for a long time then I tried GP and have been locked in since. I'd bet I've grown around 75-80% of all GP strains.
Every cross has been solid for me.
There's been a few mutants, a few no poppers, and a few runts but we're talking maybe 10 seeds/plants total out of probably around 200. And prices are hard to beat especially in a reverse auction where you can score some great genetics, 7 fem seeds per pack, for less than $30 delivered.

It's really hard to go wrong with anything they have but I really like their Stardawg crosses and their Purple Punch crosses. My fave feminized so far has been Purple Crash and my fave regular was Texas Butter which is no longer available but I still have two unopened packs of that one.
Tombstone was another really good indica strain.

This room feeds off outdoor air too and that can be a gift and a curse. Right now it's a curse with a long string of 100+ temps in the day and low 80s at night. Glad this grow is over with because yeah there's no way around not having to use AC. I tried them all haha! But at the end of the day the window unit was the only cure that really beat the heat.
wow man, my head is spinning a bit from all these awesome updates.... info galore!! but man i'm still back about five posts still replying in my head!!! hahaha

but Oh my, i can't believe just how big that light is!!! wow!! it makes the 550's look tiny!!!!

i am very shocked on the PAR... not only the new light lacking but 1st gen more than new gen solarsystem!!!

lets just hope par doesn't equate to better growth... (sarcasm)

OH and brilliant on the winch base jumpers!!! straight genius!!

Can you imagine what the little SS225 would look like up in here now?
That PAR reading is interesting. I think maybe too much of a good thing with the Gen1s? After all they are the only light that can bleach my buds. Gen 2 doesn't do that and I doubt spectramax will do it either. 1900 is impressive but I've seen good veg growth as low as 400 and donkey dick colas at 1100.
I'm mostly curious how my plants will frost up under the spectramax since there's no blue diodes. I like what the blurple can do in the potency category so I hope it's not a step back.

I suppose this is probably where the most R&D and effort goes into my grows. Probably more info to be had during this down time than when I have plants growing.
Right now it's all about set up, predictions, and autopilot features. Then when the grow happens all of it just falls into place. Gonna be important too because I go back to work in 10 days then it's Fall camp, 12 hour work days.
Everything I'm doing now is preparing for that so all the work is today and not tomorrow. Then all I have to do is stagger in after work and keep them watered. And even that's been made simple having the water tank inside the room now. Nice to not have to carry water for sure.

Over the next couple days I'm replacing all of my clamp fans with new fans. They're 2.5 years old and losing motor power with only one still at 15 watts but the other 3 are down to 8-12 watts. Diving into a bigger grow space with failing fans is not a good idea so it's upgrade time!
So with prime day offering $10 off, I decided to go with AC Infinity 6" oscillators.

Color me impressed with these fans! Finally a 6" fan designed for indoor growing and not for sitting on a desk turned on only a few hours a day!
Stealth quiet, waterproof, good left to right swing, more than two speeds, and can be operated via bluetooth or wifi with a controller.
They are pole mounted so they're for tent growers but for a cab or room like mine where we don't have tent poles...we can install stripper poles. 😋
At first I thought I'd just get the fans. But then I said WTH and bought the controller too. The controller is an extra and not needed but kinda like my 3D printer, I'm finding uses for it I didn't know I needed.

So the ACI UIS ecosystem is mostly about environment and lighting control. For me, that's all on it own system and taken care of. For this UIS system, I'm making it 100% fans and air movement. It's gonna be a happy plant making bud rot never gonna happen kinda grow environment. It already was that but now even better.;)
I can control three fans I wont have access to since they'll be out of reach with my ipad. I can also control another large fan to run on a high temp trigger so when my lights warm the room too much, that fan will cool them down. This will come in very handy for Winter operations where my lights are defacto heaters.
It will also control fresh air intake also on temp triggers. Again, really helpful because my fresh air intake becomes the AC in Winter operations.
Some really fun and interesting possibilities are opening up as I get into this system.
The controller only has 4 ports for devices. There are splitters to make one port into two but they're sold out. However it is just wiring and there's a grower on Reddit who showed the DIY hack to make those splitters. One guy even made a 6 way splitter but with the splitter hack I'll take those four ports up to six

And of course, the 3D printer is very involved!;)

Here's my first wall mounted stripper pole holding a fan with custom 3D printed mounts. My poles are from the Earthbox trellis system I no longer use but kept around because you just never know when you might need some poles 💈

IMG_5161.JPG

Hesitant at first, my conversion into the digital age of growing pot is now complete. Now I gotta learn how to use it to my advantage 🙃

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

Last edited:
Great setup as always man! Love your toys and solutions. 👍😝

Many thanks Zen! Lots of hurdles to make this room work. Might as well make it fun! Glad you enjoy the ride Buddy!
ACI stuff is great dude, lot of capability in those controllers for $100.

There was another ACI thread where I asked if I could build an air moving dance party with this system. Well, I've built an air moving dance party with this system.💃 🕺

View attachment IMG_5166.MOV

I can go nuts with this thing when my wheels start turning. Next I wanna see if these fans can handle vertical oscillation. 🙃

Thanks for the insight on the winches I’m gonna be back I. The manufacturing sec, so I might give it shot seems simple enuff to time even if ya used old school potentiometers . God I already like 20 projects I’m behind on and you kick my brain in high gear ! Lmao thanx bro

View attachment IMG_5178.MOV

😋

And a new player has entered the game. 1st time in a few years something not from Greenpoint is making it's way into my room.
But yeah...Ghost Train Haze impressed so much in Vegas it gets a shot in The Hideout.
I believe this is the Rare Dankness cut from Growers Choice Seeds.
Rare Dankness gear has been hit and miss for me in the past but when it hit, it was so worth trodding thru a few mutants. We'll see how this goes 😋

gth.png

Last edited:
Ruck Optimus reboot.
The 8" oscillator is a good idea but now I know why I got it at about 25% original retail value.
Gears in the oscillator are known to fail but I figured WTH I can make new gears with the 3D printer if that happens. Well the big bastard is starting to wobble and make a clicking noise so figure the oscillator is about to take a shit.

So I took off the oscillator, redid the power cord, and dove back into the parts and supply shed for the old light rail kit.
Had to 3D print a custom shaft for the fit. (I used Blue #5 TPU) 😋

IMG_5185.JPG

Now for it's purpose which is heat removal and dust collection, I'm kinda thinking a left to right sweeping motion might work better than it being on the oscillator. It has about 30" of left to right travel so when the temp trigger turns it on, it will sweep over the lights pushing hot air into the exhaust at the other end of the room

View attachment IMG_5186.MOV

I'm just about done with environment as of today. The orbital air wave is done and came out super badass. Heat sweeper is done. Stationary fans like the 18" wall mount and two sixers just need a cleaning and lastly, the new ceiling fan gets installed tomorrow.

Trays are cleaned and ready. Airpots will be soaked tomorrow and readied.
Will go ahead and order my vegging soil now since I'm all out so I guess once that and the GTH beans get here this grow will be ready to launch!

Ruck Optimus reboot.
The 8" oscillator is a good idea but now I know why I got it at about 25% original retail value.
Gears in the oscillator are known to fail but I figured WTH I can make new gears with the 3D printer if that happens. Well the big bastard is starting to wobble and make a clicking noise so figure the oscillator is about to take a shit.

So I took off the oscillator, redid the power cord, and dove back into the parts and supply shed for the old light rail kit.
Had to 3D print a custom shaft for the fit. (I used Blue #5 TPU) 😋

View attachment 13965

Now for it's purpose which is heat removal and dust collection, I'm kinda thinking a left to right sweeping motion might work better than it being on the oscillator. It has about 30" of left to right travel so when the temp trigger turns it on, it will sweep over the lights pushing hot air into the exhaust at the other end of the room

View attachment 13966

I'm just about done with environment as of today. The orbital air wave is done and came out super badass. Heat sweeper is done. Stationary fans like the 18" wall mount and two sixers just need a cleaning and lastly, the new ceiling fan gets installed tomorrow.

Trays are cleaned and ready. Airpots will be soaked tomorrow and readied.
Will go ahead and order my vegging soil now since I'm all out so I guess once that and the GTH beans get here this grow will be ready to launch!
When I look up the word "Maelstrom" a picture of your grow space comes up! 😄

That's some serious air movement going on there!!!

what a way to repurpose your mover!!!! and then you got greedo's eyes all dancing around like he's drunk!!! 😵‍💫

i bet that movement ends up being way more effective because it's not just sucking from one spot either, it should move all the air up top which is your exact goal. and man you should have some good luck with that blue #5!!!!!!! 🏁

i'm gonna keep that one in my toolbox for this winter when i need to use that top air as heat.

This dude fans
Maybe I should start an Only Fans account? You know...to talk fans. 😋
When I look up the word "Maelstrom" a picture of your grow space comes up! 😄

That's some serious air movement going on there!!!

In my g/room's past life, it was in a music video😋

Love it man. I think we share the same philosophy on doing things Bandit, where the end product is nice and all, but the process of getting there is where the real fun is.

Yep! One of my favorite parts of this hobby is the build and coming up with all these ideas. I just love custom whole room and cab grows too. The challenge of a from scratch build out. Then when plants respond with happiness and all that glorious fruit, no better reward than that!

what a way to repurpose your mover!!!! and then you got greedo's eyes all dancing around like he's drunk!!! 😵‍💫

i bet that movement ends up being way more effective because it's not just sucking from one spot either, it should move all the air up top which is your exact goal. and man you should have some good luck with that blue #5!!!!!!! 🏁

i'm gonna keep that one in my toolbox for this winter when i need to use that top air as heat.
I laugh every time I see Greedo now. :ROFLMAO:
Believe it or not dude this idea has been in the works for probably ten years!
Started way back with a fan called the Gro1 Orbital fan. Coolest fan ever because it had orbital movement, not just side to side. However Gro1 made PINOC look like Mercedes and that orbital fan was hot garbage. It didn't die in weeks or months..It died in hours bro!!!!
Hasn't been a fan like it since and doubt there ever will be. Soon after that debacle Gro1 was out of business.
But when I saw these cloudrays I knew the orbital idea was back in play. Only uncertainty was if it could do a vertical oscillation.
Takes two to do it but it is truly badass air movement. It will pretty much make the airflow like what happens in a washing machine.
Stale dead zones are near impossible so that means no mold nasties, stomatas on all leaf surfaces are gonna get all kinds of stimulation, and bugs will hate that shit. No swampy spots for those fuckers to take hold.

I think I like the mover repurpose more than the oscillator right now. Love the motion but one thing I forgot about that fan and shoulda taken a pic...The 3D printed dust filter I made for the back of it. Holy crap did that work well!!!
That thing was gross man. Dirty yeah but there were also a few mosquitoes, a couple house flies, a moth, and maybe a half dozen or so other flying bugs stuck to it.
Now I know why the last grow was without bugs of any sort even though we had windows and doors open all Spring..The fan trapped 'em all!!!

So I guess that fucker up there is 710 CFMs of pure doom for anything flying around or suspended in the air.
I kinda figured it worked because there was no dust at all after the grow on my lights but until I took it down to rebuild I didn't realize just how good until I saw that filter.

Seriously though, if all this new gear performs as advertised, this might be the best version of this room to date. I fired it up last night for a walk thru and all I could do was purr like a cat imagining what a few haze and cookie cuts are gonna look like in this space

View attachment IMG_5194.MOV

IMG_5193.JPG

Last edited:
its 5:01 and KB still sucks!!

man every time i peek at your pic^^ i keep waiting to see a water fountain squirting up from the top tray!!!!! put some fish in there.... hahaha

its 5:01 and KB still sucks!!

man every time i peek at your pic^^ i keep waiting to see a water fountain squirting up from the top tray!!!!! put some fish in there.... hahaha

It's just waiting on the new table that should be here tomorrow!
Seeds and Vivos get here today and looks like I can light this candle as early as Wednesday!🤘

Tagged and bagged this haul over the weekend after a few weeks of drying☺️

This repeated itself 6x... destemming, binning, then bagging

IMG_5210.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

Right now, combined with last harvest, I have over 900 grams, (32oz) of flower🥹

IMG_5201.JPG

At this point it's more than a stash of weed. The curing and storage fridge is a well stocked and full blown personal dispensary :cool:

IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5225.JPG

And I'm about to start another grow and stack more on top hahahaha!🤪

Back
Top Bottom