3D printers and the things growers and stoners can make with them

Haha yeah he has 2 more ender 3 v2 printers, an ender max neo, and a prusa mk3. The prusa was like 800 after taxes and shipping.

plus the wealth of knowledge from a pro too from it sounds like!!!

just picked up a new toy... ain't no starrett but it will work great for measuring plastic. has a slick green back light on the display...

DSCN0780.JPG

:geek:

What do you use it for?

when designing parts and pieces you need to get accurate dimensions on things. for crude parts you can use a tape measure or as i often do i have a sewing slice chart on my desk...

DSCN0781.JPG

but for intricate parts like threads or form fit pieces you need measurements down to tenth's of a millimeter. it matters. so a caliper is something i reach for almost daily. i'm the type of person that likes to see the measurement in a visual gap rather than just in my head... if i say i need it about 16mm i sometimes open the caliper to look at 16mm and see if it looks about right. even when you eye ball it you still have to input a number into the computer.

:) 🙃 :)

when designing parts and pieces you need to get accurate dimensions on things. for crude parts you can use a tape measure or as i often do i have a sewing slice chart on my desk...

View attachment 14559

but for intricate parts like threads or form fit pieces you need measurements down to tenth's of a millimeter. it matters. so a caliper is something i reach for almost daily. i'm the type of person that likes to see the measurement in a visual gap rather than just in my head... if i say i need it about 16mm i sometimes open the caliper to look at 16mm and see if it looks about right. even when you eye ball it you still have to input a number into the computer.

Neat.

plus the wealth of knowledge from a pro too from it sounds like!!!

just picked up a new toy... ain't no starrett but it will work great for measuring plastic. has a slick green back light on the display...

View attachment 14558

:geek:
I have one of those in my closet for the printer too lol.

Its alive.
Now to go install stuff on my computer and start tinkerin with this thing.
Ive got 3 different colors of htpla, teal, wood, and some tri color metallic stuff.
First print will be a new filament holder lol. 20230726_065922.jpg

Its alive.
Ive got 3 different colors of htpla, teal, wood, and some tri color metallic stuff.
First print will be a new filament holder lol. View attachment 15113
So Jelly man! Good on you! 👍👏

Once you get it dialed in you’ll enjoy it. Try not to waste too much making toys. 🤣

View attachment 14559

I still have my old slide rule and scales for mechanical and architectural drafting. Caliper was loaned and lost long ago. Never got around to replacing it.

Sorry missed a few tags here.

I use Prusa, and they are closer to $1000 by the time you are set up and printing. The build plate is limited to 220x250x220H mm. That is the drawback. But in terms of useable prints, I think it is outstanding.

My filament of choice is PETg. PLA is easier, and for knick knacks its cool and has many colors and finishes. PETg is more UV resistant, and is much stronger for parts that are getting used rather than looked at.
Collecting data for son and I. When we’re ready to pull the trigger I’m hoping to see what you guys @Bandit420 would suggest. Or if one of you upgrades and wants to sell the old model. (Sounds like people collect rather than resell. 🤣)

I hear power bills tend to climb rather sharply once you’ve setup and get rolling. 😝

My printer has been dead in the water for a few days and I was mid-print to get the measurments. Tried to avoid replacing the whole hot end but that's what I have to do. Should be back up tomorrow some time.
It pissed me off a bit so I didn't want to even look at it yesterday. Today was hash making day. So tomorrow I'll change out that part. If I did it any sooner there was a good chance I'd throw it out the window so figured I should wait until I at least didn't want to punch it 😋
I find shooting old tech rather cathartic. Hard parts cleaning up.

Only dead tech. I donate the rest to local kids or family.

That's so fucking cool.....I need to start up an investment fund just to save up for a machine. I'm getting tired of watching from the sidelines. I've always wanted a 3d printer.
The one i have runs like 280 brand new from creality. Just be careful, one of the sites is a fake and i cant remember which one right now. Ill find out and post it in a bit.

Its alive.
First print will be a new filament holder lol. View attachment 15113

Welcome to the rabbit hole! I mean club. Yeah...Welcome to the club!!! 😋
Collecting data for son and I. When we’re ready to pull the trigger I’m hoping to see what you guys @Bandit420 would suggest. Or if one of you upgrades and wants to sell the old model. (Sounds like people collect rather than resell. 🤣)

I hear power bills tend to climb rather sharply once you’ve setup and get rolling. 😝

IDK about power bills but filament bill does climb. And you know you're in deep when you have the biggest tote they sell at walmart full of filament.😋

IMG_5235.JPG

And yep a digital caliper, preferably a 12", is a must have for projects. I have both a 6" and 12" but use the 12 almost exclusively. Spendy tool at around $50 but you need the accuracy.

I find shooting old tech rather cathartic. Hard parts cleaning up.

Only dead tech. I donate the rest to local kids or family.

Hard to believe there's actually rage rooms where people pay to suit up and take a baseball bat to appliances and computers.
Why pay I ask myself? I bet we all have some sort of dead piece of crap electronic device worthy of being blasted with a shotgun, ran over on the freeway, torched with a flamethrower, and yeah even smashed with a hammer.:cool:

Welcome to the rabbit hole! I mean club. Yeah...Welcome to the club!!! 😋
First attempt went into the trash, had settings way fked up lol.
Now I think I have it dialed in, everything is working smooth as butter so hopefully in 9 hours ill have a germinator.

Heres the settings im running with for now. 20230726_110811.jpg

If you have enough filament left make me a germinator too. I've wanted one of those the first time I saw @Bandit420 post it up. @kewl having germination issues. He could probably use one too!!

Thats good shit GoodShit!!!! hells yeah!!

i agree on the filament, that stuff gets pricey. there are quite a few types of plastic available and no one material is superior to another, they all have their place in production it just depends on what you're making. pretty much like every single other material used in every manufacturing process in the world.
i have six different kinds of just black! haha

If you have enough filament left make me a germinator too. I've wanted one of those the first time I saw @Bandit420 post it up. @kewl having germination issues. He could probably use one too!!
Working on it right now man.
Was trying to print all 3 pieces in 1 print but apparently i need more practice before i tackle that. So here i am 1 piece at a time 🤣16904170226107117029302686074062.jpg

Its warping too🤨😑
1690417125695532282252749431054.jpg

i printed my first one out in pieces as well.... don't rush it.

raise your bed temp up a little to help that filament to stick to the bed... 60-65* for pla raising it mid print won't help though, wait till the next print. if you still have issues slow your print speed down a tad 70mm/sec is a little fast for that caliber of printer using pla. you can run those speeds with a hotter material such as petg or abs.

Back
Top Bottom