All things shrooms

Today's progress. Blower is mounted and first leg of wiring installed. Top box assembled. Filter box glued up, and sealed.

Tomorrow I'll affix the top box to the filter box, finish the wiring, do the final cuts I need to support the pre filter, and hopefully get the back and filter installed.

Goal was to be done by tonight but I'm no carpenter and this shit is hard to do without clamps and experience.

PXL_20230720_050214783.jpg

Today's progress. Blower is mounted and first leg of wiring installed. Top box assembled. Filter box glued up, and sealed.

Tomorrow I'll affix the top box to the filter box, finish the wiring, do the final cuts I need to support the pre filter, and hopefully get the back and filter installed.

Goal was to be done by tonight but I'm no carpenter and this shit is hard to do without clamps and experience.

View attachment 14171
So how do you keep all of that stuff sanitary? And the filter sterile?

So how do you keep all of that stuff sanitary? And the filter sterile?
great questions.

So, I finished the plywood on all sides with polyurethane. The filter box received four coats, and the top box two. This will be enough to allow me to wipe it down with alcohol before and after every use. I will be building a table for this unit to sit on, which will be covered in galvanized steel.

The filter doesn't need to stay sterile, per se. Given it's a 99.99% efficiency HEPA filter, and the volume of air that will be coming out of it, anything that lands on it will instantly be blown out when the blower is turned on. When running these kind of units, you turn them on a couple hours before you start work so that they can clear themselves out and scrub the air in the work room.

For when the unit is not in use, I will be installing a roll-up cover that will protect the filter from dust and other crap landing on it for the most part. It'll help protect the fins as well, should a curious child decide they need to fuck around.

I’ve seen your work. Other than bad luck patients is your only issue I’ve noticed. Glass house here so not throwing stones.

Sit on your hands a bit and watch for the fruits of your efforts. Then post the pics so I can see what the fruits look like before the membrane breaks. 🤣

You got this bud. I have no doubts at all.
getting the moisture content JUST RIGHT seems to make the contaminates less likely to grow too, as in it doesnt have to be as moist for mycellium, but mold loves the moisture.

great questions.

So, I finished the plywood on all sides with polyurethane. The filter box received four coats, and the top box two. This will be enough to allow me to wipe it down with alcohol before and after every use. I will be building a table for this unit to sit on, which will be covered in galvanized steel.

The filter doesn't need to stay sterile, per se. Given it's a 99.99% efficiency HEPA filter, and the volume of air that will be coming out of it, anything that lands on it will instantly be blown out when the blower is turned on. When running these kind of units, you turn them on a couple hours before you start work so that they can clear themselves out and scrub the air in the work room.
so that unit will be SUCKING air out of a chamber through the filter?
For when the unit is not in use, I will be installing a roll-up cover that will protect the filter from dust and other crap landing on it for the most part. It'll help protect the fins as well, should a curious child decide they need to fuck around.
yea good idea, particles everywhere...

thx

so that unit will be SUCKING air out of a chamber through the filter?
Negative. The top box is open on top, where a pre-filter sits. The blower is inside that box and will pull air through the prefilter, and push it into the filter box plenum. In the plenum, the pressure will equalize across the backside of the HEPA filter and make its way out in what's called laminar flow. The theory behind it relies on a concept called Reynold's Number. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reyno...Reynolds number is the,the interior of a pipe.

At a very basic level, what this unit will produce is completely clean, sterile air that is moving in a straight line without turbulence. By working in that stream of air, you reduce chances of contamination by a large margin.

Negative. The top box is open on top, where a pre-filter sits. The blower is inside that box and will pull air through the prefilter, and push it into the filter box plenum. In the plenum, the pressure will equalize across the backside of the HEPA filter and make its way out in what's called laminar flow. The theory behind it relies on a concept called Reynold's Number. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reyno...Reynolds number is the,the interior of a pipe.

At a very basic level, what this unit will produce is completely clean, sterile air that is moving in a straight line without turbulence. By working in that stream of air, you reduce chances of contamination by a large margin.
Ahh ok

Wasn't familiar with Reynolds number either but now I know

Thanks man

I'll be waiting to see it all up and running

• Deleted by tobh
  • Reason: upload fucked up
Show…
  • Deleted by Observer
Show…
Thanks gentlemen. Don't look too close, there are quite a few things that aren't perfect but this was definitely one of the most challenging projects I've done in a while, and definitely the hardest woodwork I've ever attempted.

Everything ended up super tight aside from my 45 degree trim cuts. Not having a miter saw makes those a real motherfucker though. I'm proud of it either way.

Sooo. I gotta move the handles forward about 3". Just moved the thing and it's way unbalanced towards the front. Thought it would be biased to the back, so set the handles in the middle. Stupid thought, should've known with the filter and the weight of the blower being forward of center, it would bias to the front when lifted.

Sooo. I gotta move the handles forward about 3". Just moved the thing and it's way unbalanced towards the front. Thought it would be biased to the back, so set the handles in the middle. Stupid thought, should've known with the filter and the weight of the blower being forward of center, it would bias to the front when lifted.
I can’t wait to see that thing in action bro

• Deleted by Observer
Show…
There's these hyphae tower like spikes in some areas

Attachments

• 16899122189438598706078415536824.jpg
    16899122189438598706078415536824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 16899122605835566991380772290418.jpg
    16899122605835566991380772290418.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 6
This shit is just so cool to me lol

And because it's all new-to-me

Attachments

• 16899123734094772460340549736039.jpg
    16899123734094772460340549736039.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
This shit is just so cool to me lol

And because it's all new-to-me
QUIT OPENING THE JARS!!!

bruh. That's good healthy mycelium, but it's young. You just exposed all that grain to contamination by not only opening the jar but putting your phone in the mouth to shed all the shit on it into the jar.

Just leave it be my guy. Ten days it'll be snowy white and you'll get to a harvest.

QUIT OPENING THE JARS!!!

bruh. That's good healthy mycelium, but it's young. You just exposed all that grain to contamination by not only opening the jar but putting your phone in the mouth to shed all the shit on it into the jar.

Just leave it be my guy. Ten days it'll be snowy white and you'll get to a harvest.
Sweet

Didn't think about the phone part...it's hard to leave this shit alone since it's new to me but yeah you right

Really need to stop fuckin with them and be PATIENT

That's the first and last time I open that jar

Can’t just undo one screw and rotate? Only one extra hole and might be 3”. Hard to tell from just pics. Not that two new holes matter.

Can’t just undo one screw and rotate? Only one extra hole and might be 3”. Hard to tell from just pics. Not that two new holes matter.
no, there are four screws per handle, unfortunately, so i could undo three and rotate, but still would need to patch up the holes. ideally the damn thing won't be getting moved very often, so what i might do instead is just put wheels on the workbench so once it's on the bench, it can just be wheeled wherever it needs to go.

Ok second flush is putting out mushrooms and no blobs. Pulled a few that are ready but some have a few more days to a week left then im gonna hydrate and flip the cake for more flushes. i have not tried this before but with no casing there is almost 100% overlay so im gonna give it a go.

Looks like i may get as many as 5+ flushes here. I tried something else new and i think i can probably get flushes until the cake is almost gone but i will share that after I confirm it works or not.

I can see these are gonna be potent though. The bluing comes on fast after picking. You can see how much difference in about 5 min. This is about 1/3 of the second flush in this little box. They were hitting the lid in that little box. Definitely gonna do better in a bigger tub

IMG_0977.jpegIMG_0981.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom