All things shrooms

Nice…. Im just going to case my second tub and see if i can avoids the blobs… this genetic is a pita but hopefully worth it
paying attention to whatever you find works. Once i get a clean culture of APE and go to fruiting, I'm likely gonna run into the same scenario.

Shitty thing about PE genetics is when you start on agar, you can't really rely on isolating from strong mycelium cultures. You gotta fruit as soon as you can from the initial germination plate, and clone from a fruit body to ensure you end up with a fruit producing isolation. They're not like a lot of other cubensis that you aim for a strong rhyzomorphic sector and you'll like end up with fruits. So, then you end up struggling with blobs, or even worse, non-fruit producing isolations.

So i pulled the blobs early as im starting to see some normal pins. 169 grams wet which should be about 17g dry… a bit more than half ounce. The 2 blobs in the pics are just under and just over 45grams each. That tells me when i get this right and run them to full maturity on second and 3rd flushes i may see some over 80g or more wet. Really piss poor for a first flush but yeah had some issues with it drying out.

This and the next box are write offs but i will continue to update. Next bin will be done properly IMG_0964.jpegIMG_0965.jpegIMG_0966.jpeg

Last edited:
paying attention to whatever you find works. Once i get a clean culture of APE and go to fruiting, I'm likely gonna run into the same scenario.

Shitty thing about PE genetics is when you start on agar, you can't really rely on isolating from strong mycelium cultures. You gotta fruit as soon as you can from the initial germination plate, and clone from a fruit body to ensure you end up with a fruit producing isolation. They're not like a lot of other cubensis that you aim for a strong rhyzomorphic sector and you'll like end up with fruits. So, then you end up struggling with blobs, or even worse, non-fruit producing isolations.
Yeah and i found the same thing out with pan cyan. … spent 6 months isolating mycelium and then go to fruit it and nadda… tried so many different subs, temps etc… if i even do them again i will do the outdoor

Little preview of the progress. I hoped to at least have the filter box assembled tonight but at the rate I'm moving, the whole box probably won't be assembled till Wednesday evening.

First coat of polyurethane applied to what will be the outsides of the box. Debating doing two or three coats. With how expensive this plywood was, I'm looking for longevity here.

One more cut needs to be made on one of the large panels for the blower inlet, but I'll do that after the finish is cured.

PXL_20230718_013632104.jpg

Little preview of the progress. I hoped to at least have the filter box assembled tonight but at the rate I'm moving, the whole box probably won't be assembled till Wednesday evening.

First coat of polyurethane applied to what will be the outsides of the box. Debating doing two or three coats. With how expensive this plywood was, I'm looking for longevity here.

One more cut needs to be made on one of the large panels for the blower inlet, but I'll do that after the finish is cured.

View attachment 13802
Once i get a flowhood im going to look at doing some hybrid crosses on agar…. But i need to get my ass a good microscope since it has to be done from spore before they mate. Lots of PE crosses out there like tidal wave (think its a PE/B+ cross) that really keep the potency up and are much easier to grow.

After getting back into this im thinking i may pick that genetic up next

Once i get a flowhood im going to look at doing some hybrid crosses on agar…. But i need to get my ass a good microscope since it has to be done from spore before they mate. Lots of PE crosses out there like tidal wave (think its a PE/B+ cross) that really keep the potency up and are much easier to grow.

After getting back into this im thinking i may pick that genetic up next
That's exactly why I'm building one man. Agar work is really where the magic happens, and you can't really do it effectively in a SAB. Sure, I've poured over 50 plates in my SAB and have had success, but my contam rate in the SAB is over 60%. With the flowhood and fully developed aseptic techniques, I'm hoping for less than 2% contam rates.

Plus, you can use the clean room for tissue culturing and other work that requires extremely clean air.

TBH I could've bought one that's about 1/4 the size I'm building for what I've invested. Granted, I've had to buy tools to do the job as well, which adds cost. All in someone could match my build for ~$800. Since I've had to buy tools, I'm a little over $1k into it.

TBH I could've bought one that's about 1/4 the size I'm building for what I've invested. Granted, I've had to buy tools to do the job as well, which adds cost. All in someone could match my build for ~$800. Since I've had to buy tools, I'm a little over $1k into it.
Yeah not cheap… i ised to do my agar woork in a positive pressure hepa filter box…. Not sure if you remember it but never had issues doing agar in it. Ill prob do the same again but a bit bigger. The last one cost me about $100 which is cheap af but i would like something a bit bigger and thats prob gonna jump my cost to around 300-400.

Im jealous man… thats going to be so nice to have around

Yeah not cheap… i ised to do my agar woork in a positive pressure hepa filter box…. Not sure if you remember it but never had issues doing agar in it. Ill prob do the same again but a bit bigger. The last one cost me about $100 which is cheap af but i would like something a bit bigger and thats prob gonna jump my cost to around 300-400.

Im jealous man… thats going to be so nice to have around
Yeah I'm stoked to finally be getting it put together. After over a decade of using SABs and consulting others through they themselves building one, it's been a long time coming.

I've priced out comparable prebuilt units and they go for over $2500, not including shipping. Hell, shipping alone would cost a few hundred bucks since it would have to be shipped freight and this unit is gonna weigh in at roughly 100lbs.

When I do the write up, I'll list out prices for everything. I think I'm over estimating, tbh. Aside from the filter and blower, the plywood was the most expensive stuff. Everything else has been relatively cheap.

Yeah I'm stoked to finally be getting it put together. After over a decade of using SABs and consulting others through they themselves building one, it's been a long time coming.

I've priced out comparable prebuilt units and they go for over $2500, not including shipping. Hell, shipping alone would cost a few hundred bucks since it would have to be shipped freight and this unit is gonna weigh in at roughly 100lbs.

When I do the write up, I'll list out prices for everything. I think I'm over estimating, tbh. Aside from the filter and blower, the plywood was the most expensive stuff. Everything else has been relatively cheap.
Yeah the filters… thats where the money is huge… pumped to see this build man

Well shit

Nice

I gotta catch up.
Not a race bud. I started growing mushrooms when I was 15, I'm in my mid 30s now. It takes time, and many, many lessons to get so invested in it that one feels the need to build something like this.

I'm not building this just to grow actives, I'm viewing this as an investment for multiple other revenue generating opportunities including medicinal and exotic mushrooms as well as tissue culturing of various crops.

A unit like this isn't for a hobbyist -- it's too big and heavy, and really requires a dedicated space to live.

You're getting it, albeit against many odds. Patience, Padawan. No catching up, just slow down and you'll get where you need to be.

So i pulled the blobs early as im starting to see some normal pins. 169 grams wet which should be about 17g dry… a bit more than half ounce. The 2 blobs in the pics are just under and just over 45grams each. That tells me when i get this right and run them to full maturity on second and 3rd flushes i may see some over 80g or more wet. Really piss poor for a first flush but yeah had some issues with it drying out.

This and the next box are write offs but i will continue to update. Next bin will be done properly View attachment 13773View attachment 13774View attachment 13775
Sweeet

Not a race bud. I started growing mushrooms when I was 15, I'm in my mid 30s now. It takes time, and many, many lessons to get so invested in it that one feels the need to build something like this.

I'm not building this just to grow actives, I'm viewing this as an investment for multiple other revenue generating opportunities including medicinal and exotic mushrooms as well as tissue culturing of various crops.

A unit like this isn't for a hobbyist -- it's too big and heavy, and really requires a dedicated space to live.

You're getting it, albeit against many odds. Patience, Padawan. No catching up, just slow down and you'll get where you need to be.
Thanks man appreciate it

This bag is working great, the other bag seems a little too moist

There's a little variance in moisture content between the precooked bags/batches.

Attachments

• 16896787726742926768929011288916.jpg
    16896787726742926768929011288916.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
All major cuts done (hopefully). Dry fitting the pre filter box around the blower.

Still need to cut the hole for the blower in the top panel, and need to cut a bunch of thin pieces to act as guides for the pre filter, the back panel, mounting for the blower, and top trim on the pre filter box.

At this rate, probably won't have this fully assembled till Friday, and won't be able to test run it until Sunday. Want to give the silicon and wood glue time to fully setup and cure before I throw a bunch of vibration and pressure at it.

PXL_20230719_023819023.jpgPXL_20230719_023812490.jpg

This and the next box are write offs but i will continue to update. Next bin will be done properly View attachment 13773View attachment 13774View attachment 13775
Why a write off? I thought blobs are okay? Up until now I thought you had been doing fine?

So if blobs happen it’s okay but something is off? You just need to tweak something to correct this or it just occurs randomly?
It's a consequence of the genetic mutation. Really the only way to prevent blobs is to clone a "normal" fruit body and grow out that isolate in perfect conditions.

Yeah but you apparently can do a few things to help so im gonna give it a go before i claim it works… from what i have seen of others it should help

Back
Top Bottom