All things shrooms

I realize this thread is mainly aimed at the medicinal mushrooms, but in my world, all mushrooms are pure magic.

I didn't take these photos, they are from a tropical species in the genus Mycena.
They (obviously) glow in the dark. There are a number of species which do so, but these are some of the best pictures I have found.Mycena - glowing1.jpgMycena - glowing2.jpgMycena - glowing3.jpgMycena - glowing4.jpgMycena - glowing5.jpg

Other mushrooms which also glow in the dark (dimly) are honey mushrooms (many species in the genus Armillaria) and Jack-O-Lantern mushrooms (genus Omphalotus).

Many people eat and enjoy Honey mushrooms, but they can be hard to digest. Jack-O-Lanterns are all toxic, also containing large amounts of Muscarine.

Yeah, you don't mess with those guys. Cool to look at, not for eating though.

Though, to be fair, almost all mushrooms have some level of toxicity. Stamets is under a gag order for trying to make that common knowledge -- gotta cook your mushies gents!

Hey guys when I get to the fruiting stage, what kind of RH and DLI is ideal? Can't find any solid info on how much/how long of light they should get.

Should I add anything else other than a base of perlite to mono tub when putting colonized all in one bag in there when I get to that stage?

Hey guys when I get to the fruiting stage, what kind of RH and DLI is ideal? Can't find any solid info on how much/how long of light they should get.

Should I add anything else other than a base of perlite to mono tub when putting colonized all in one bag in there when I get to that stage?
Your fruiting from the bag right? Using perlite for humidity i take it.

Humidity above 85% in the fruiting chamber is ideal.

As for light you don’t need any special lights source. A small wattage floro or LED is plenty. I just use room and natural light

Your fruiting from the bag right? Using perlite for humidity i take it.

Humidity above 85% in the fruiting chamber is ideal.

As for light you don’t need any special lights source. A small wattage floro or LED is plenty. I just use room and natural light
Going to dump the bag into mono tub. I saw some YouTubes where the guy put a base of perlite than cut and opened the bag and put it on top of the perlite. What you think of that?

So indirect window light is ok?

Going to dump the bag into mono tub. I saw some YouTubes where the guy put a base of perlite than cut and opened the bag and put it on top of the perlite. What you think of that?

So indirect window light is ok?
Yes…

Hmm can you link the vid so I understand… is this a colonized bag of substrate or spawn?

You can do it, but there's a price tag associated with it.

Basic equipment:
  • pressure cooker/canner: $80
  • mason jars: $15

IIRC you already have a SAB, so you have your workspace. This is one of those hobbies where trying to go super budget ends up being way more expensive. With the right, core pieces of equipment, you can do this anywhere, in any conditions.

There's no need to go big or extravagant, unless you know this won't be a passing thing. You got this dude, just go back to the basics. Do some PF Tek runs, get your feet wet, figure out the process, then build from there.

When I started, my SAB was a cardboard box with a Saran wrap top. I blew my eyebrows off by lighting a lighter in it to sterilize a needle with a shit ton of Lysol vapor in it. I used my mom's little 4 quart PC for years to sterilize jars. I got most everything for free from local farms -- grains, horse shit, old containers... And I supported myself through high school and college doing it that way.

All that being said, not having a cheap, small pressure cooker is your Achilles heel right now. Get that and you can do this.
Thanks man appreciate it.

Definitely not gonna give up, no doubt there's some issues to my process/methods, but just was not too sure about my unstable ass environment either

@Observer hang in there man. You got a lot of shit going down this month. Maybe a break until you get to the new pad is the right step. Just don’t get discouraged. These guys have been doing this a lot longer with much better gear these days.

You keeping notes on where things start to go wrong and why? I even journal my grow so plan to add mushrooms to it or start a new one. Need to get repeatable steps to known outcomes and expected results.

Looking forward to seeing your first successful grow man. 🍿👍
Me opening the jar that one time with that picture inside it could possibly been enough to fuck it suppose, I think my main culprit was heat making the rice release more water.

Enabling better environment for mold.

Definitely not going to give up or too discouraged, just kinda pissed me off, it was so healthy looking, and now I'm starting to waste spores and not liking that.

I'll make my own shroom tea from my own grown shrooms eventually.

Me opening the jar that one time with that picture inside it could possibly been enough to fuck it suppose, I think my main culprit was heat making the rice release more water.

Definitely not going to give up or too discouraged, just kinda pissed me off, it was so healthy looking, and now I'm starting to waste spores and not liking that.

the problem is mold spores won't magically sprout because of too much water content within the jars. Bacteria will, but not mold, so long the jars have been properly sterilized. Opening jars that aren't fully colonized is a sure fire way to end up with mold, though.

there are ways to sterilize jars without a PC, but it's not as time or energy efficient. basically, you make up your jars, then put them in a pot of water and boil them for 90 minutes. let sit for 24 hours, and repeat the boiling again. You do this three to four times and stand a higher likelihood of having sterile jars.

The basic idea of how this works is ungerminated endospores are incredibly hard to destroy at atmospheric pressure, and consequently, what typical boiling temperatures are. That's why we use pressure cookers to do the sterilization step. By boiling multiple times over the span of multiple days, you allow time for any endospores to germinate, then you kill the young lifeforms before they have a chance to gain momentum and become problematic.

once the jars are sterilized, you just gotta make sure to stick to strict aseptic protocols until colonization is complete, including not opening the jars outside of a sterile environment like a SAB. Even then, I wouldn't recommend opening jars until they're fully colonized as you're just risking contamination after all your hard work to eliminate competition for the mycelium you want to grow.

the problem is mold spores won't magically sprout because of too much water content within the jars. Bacteria will, but not mold, so long the jars have been properly sterilized. Opening jars that aren't fully colonized is a sure fire way to end up with mold, though
ty, alot i dont know about this myco world.
there are ways to sterilize jars without a PC, but it's not as time or energy efficient. basically, you make up your jars, then put them in a pot of water and boil them for 90 minutes. let sit for 24 hours, and repeat the boiling again. You do this three to four times and stand a higher likelihood of having sterile jars.
this is what ive been doing, the lazy/broke boy tek

except, only boiled once for 2 hours.

The basic idea of how this works is ungerminated endospores are incredibly hard to destroy at atmospheric pressure, and consequently, what typical boiling temperatures are. That's why we use pressure cookers to do the sterilization step. By boiling multiple times over the span of multiple days, you allow time for any endospores to germinate, then you kill the young lifeforms before they have a chance to gain momentum and become problematic.
the more you know, didnt know this either.
now i do.

knowing the why is super important,(lol, obv) then i can understand it and manipulate it better.
once the jars are sterilized, you just gotta make sure to stick to strict aseptic protocols until colonization is complete, including not opening the jars outside of a sterile environment like a SAB. Even then, I wouldn't recommend opening jars until they're fully colonized as you're just risking contamination after all your hard work to eliminate competition for the mycelium you want to grow.
appreciate all the information tobh, i am very new to this world.

haha.

i look forward to my first flush/harvest too. fucked up my first go-round.
we will both get there i'm sure

def want to make some thc+fungus chocolates when i finally get there

knowing the why is super important,(lol, obv) then i can understand it and manipulate it better.
yup, and a lot of this kind of information is buried deep in old forums. I don't really trust many of the youtube resources either because like cannabis, there's a ton of bro science, especially around the active mushrooms. similar to cannabis and agriculture, mycology is the same in that people try to treat psilocybes and similar as some unique snowflakes, when they really aren't. all the same rules and practices apply (for the most part), it's just a different set of genetics than edibles or medicinals.

yup, and a lot of this kind of information is buried deep in old forums. I don't really trust many of the youtube resources either because like cannabis, there's a ton of bro science, especially around the active mushrooms. similar to cannabis and agriculture, mycology is the same in that people try to treat psilocybes and similar as some unique snowflakes, when they really aren't. all the same rules and practices apply (for the most part), it's just a different set of genetics than edibles or medicinals.
for someone new to this i totally agree. glad we got some experienced people here to help sort out the good practices from the bro shit. some videos make it seem so easy... thanks for helping us out

FWIW I went through everything you newbies are going through, too. Lots of lessons learned over the years, and especially those first few grows. Hell, before I got my first mushroom harvest I couldn't even keep a cannabis plant alive, but that changed too once I figured out some of the processes for successfully growing mushrooms.

Y'all will get there, and when you do you'll be so damn proud that you'll gladly forget all of the pain you went through to get that first harvest. I'm here rooting for you, and will try to help out as I can!

@Observer hang in there man. You got a lot of shit going down this month. Maybe a break until you get to the new pad is the right step. Just don’t get discouraged. These guys have been doing this a lot longer with much better gear these days.

You keeping notes on where things start to go wrong and why? I even journal my grow so plan to add mushrooms to it or start a new one. Need to get repeatable steps to known outcomes and expected results.

Looking forward to seeing your first successful grow man. 🍿👍
thanks man

First up:

• Psilocybe Cubensis Aztec Gold
  • Panaeolous Cambodginiesis
  • Panealous Cyanescens
  • Panaeolous Bisporus
  • Psilocybe Cyanescens
  • Psilocybe Cubensis Albino Penis Envy Hybrid
  • a two decade old portobello print

Kicking shit off real hard on this one boys.
PXL_20230726_202215448.jpg
Disregard the parafilm papers on the ground, wrapped up a bunch of plates just before I retrieved the spores from cold storage.

First up:

• Panealous Cyanescens
  • Panaeolous Bisporus
  • Psilocybe Cyanescens

View attachment 15169
Disregard the parafilm papers on the ground, wrapped up a bunch of plates just before I retrieved the spores from cold storage.
Fuck yea

"So which strain do you want"

"Yes"

I've yet to try cyans.

I'll have to try growing some once I get it down

First up:

• Panealous Cyanescens
  • Panaeolous Bisporus
  • Psilocybe Cyanescens

View attachment 15169
Some look loaded with spores

Nice

Still busy af so gonna need an hour maybe 2 before i look at the video. @tobh answered most of it. Personally i would avoid the perlite for moisture in a tub as a bottom layer…. Just scares me for bacteria purposes. As a fruiting chamber i would fell comfortable using distilled water with some hydrogen peroxide added every few days since the mycelium will never come in contact with it

Fuck yea

"So which strain do you want"

"Yes"

I've yet to try cyans.

I'll have to try growing some once I get it down
sporeworks had a hell of a sale when i bought the pan genetics. got the four pack for like $35 or something like that.

the cool thing about the pan bisporus is the origin print is from a small town about 200 miles east of me. AFAIK it was the only culture ever found naturally occurring in the US, as that particular variety is native to SE Asia, Jamaica and Hawaii, yet someone (i used to know who, don't recall their name atm) found a random patch in the middle of a cattle field.

sporeworks had a hell of a sale when i bought the pan genetics. got the four pack for like $35 or something like that.

the cool thing about the pan bisporus is the origin print is from a small town about 200 miles east of me. AFAIK it was the only culture ever found naturally occurring in the US, as that particular variety is native to SE Asia, Jamaica and Hawaii, yet someone (i used to know who, don't recall their name atm) found a random patch in the middle of a cattle field.
That's crazy, neat.

Not familiar with the bisporus

@Aqua Man or @tobh

My KSSS has been in fruiting conditions for 9 days now. No sign of pinning. My temperatures don't fluctuate much. I've been between 75F and 77F at all times during those 9 days. Is this normal? Am I getting impatient again? LOL .... I have considered adding a casing layer if I don't have pinning by this weekend. Your thoughts?

Here's a picture taken just a few minutes ago ...

KSSS monotub.jpg

@Aqua Man or @tobh

My KSSS has been in fruiting conditions for 9 days now. No sign of pinning. My temperatures don't fluctuate much. I've been between 75F and 77F at all times during those 9 days. Is this normal? Am I getting impatient again? LOL .... I have considered adding a casing layer if I don't have pinning by this weekend. Your thoughts?

Here's a picture taken just a few minutes ago ...

View attachment 15183
looks like you're getting into overlay territory. How often are you doing FAE? Since this casing hasn't fruited yet, I'm surprised to see it pulled so far off the sides already. Looking closely I can see some hyphal knots, but something's off so the mycelium isn't bothering to try fruiting.

Once AMan pops back in and gives it his look, there are a few different things you can do to try and motivate the boomers to come up.

looks like you're getting into overlay territory. How often are you doing FAE? Since this casing hasn't fruited yet, I'm surprised to see it pulled so far off the sides already. Looking closely I can see some hyphal knots, but something's off so the mycelium isn't bothering to try fruiting.

Once AMan pops back in and gives it his look, there are a few different things you can do to try and motivate the boomers to come up.

My thoughts were the same, but I'm unsure of my next move at this point.

What would you do to encourage fruiting ... adding a coco/vermiculite based casing? Is this even worth attempting? Or is something so "off" its just not going to produce fruit?

Edit: FAE very 3 hrs during the day up to bed time.

Back
Top Bottom