All things shrooms

What you just started would probably last me my life
well, technically i haven't started anything yet. the grain is just sterilized and will sit for a few days to confirm no contamination, then i'll inoculate everything this weekend as long as everything goes as planned.

if everything goes as planned, then i'll probably prep more grain and start stacking up spawn. have a shit ton of genetics to get through and economic resilience by having multiple revenue streams is never a bad idea as a sole provider. my buddy was fetching $12/lb on oyster mushrooms which is almost double what you pay at the store, and fresh not from a massive farm is always better.

well, technically i haven't started anything yet. the grain is just sterilized and will sit for a few days to confirm no contamination, then i'll inoculate everything this weekend as long as everything goes as planned.

if everything goes as planned, then i'll probably prep more grain and start stacking up spawn. have a shit ton of genetics to get through and economic resilience by having multiple revenue streams is never a bad idea as a sole provider. my buddy was fetching $12/lb on oyster mushrooms which is almost double what you pay at the store, and fresh not from a massive farm is always better.
Well if i were to knock up all the stuff you sterilized, and it all fruited nicely, id prolly never finish it all before i died no joke.
I only ever eat like a cap or so at a time unless im partying and everyone is getting fucked up lol. Then ill eat 5 or 6 grams🤣🤣
But thats like once a year.

Well if i were to knock up all the stuff you sterilized, and it all fruited nicely, id prolly never finish it all before i died no joke.
I only ever eat like a cap or so at a time unless im partying and everyone is getting fucked up lol. Then ill eat 5 or 6 grams🤣🤣
But thats like once a year.
so, while some people have been known to fruit directly from the grain it's not really an optimal method of production. grain has incredibly limited nutrition for the mycelium so by starting these jars, i'll be able to do a couple things.

One is creating more spawn. Some of the genetics I'll be running are wood lovers and I'm starting the process of propagating a shit ton of spawn for various outdoor beds in the spring. These varieties include psilocybe cyanescens, lion's mane, and reishi. I could do the oysters on wood too but they're so aggressive I'll have a better return by using straw as the substrate instead. The wood lovers take ages to colonize fully but can fruit very prolifically in the right conditions.

The other is to go directly into fruiting substrate. I'll be using a mix of coco coir, vermiculite, and manure for some, and straw for others. Lion's mane and oysters both perform well on straw those prepping the straw is quite the PITA so i likely won't use that for indoor activities too extensively this winter.

The idea behind all of this now is just to get various things kicked off that were a predominant deciding factor in the location of the land I bought earlier this year. Stamets has discussed at length how beneficial fungi is to a permaculture system, and while i don't buy into a ton of the crap permaculture evangelicals spout, I firmly believe introducing name mushroom cultures en masse to a microclimate can have profound positive impacts in the long term.

Plus, weird looking mushrooms sell for a hell of a lot more than boring brown or white mushrooms that everyone is familiar with.

A future endeavor I want to get into as well is making extracts and tinctures. Pound for pound, tinctures and extracts can yield significantly more revenue than selling the mushrooms raw or dry, and they have much better shelf life. That's a whole other discussion though.

so, while some people have been known to fruit directly from the grain it's not really an optimal method of production. grain has incredibly limited nutrition for the mycelium so by starting these jars, i'll be able to do a couple things.

One is creating more spawn. Some of the genetics I'll be running are wood lovers and I'm starting the process of propagating a shit ton of spawn for various outdoor beds in the spring. These varieties include psilocybe cyanescens, lion's mane, and reishi. I could do the oysters on wood too but they're so aggressive I'll have a better return by using straw as the substrate instead. The wood lovers take ages to colonize fully but can fruit very prolifically in the right conditions.

The other is to go directly into fruiting substrate. I'll be using a mix of coco coir, vermiculite, and manure for some, and straw for others. Lion's mane and oysters both perform well on straw those prepping the straw is quite the PITA so i likely won't use that for indoor activities too extensively this winter.

The idea behind all of this now is just to get various things kicked off that were a predominant deciding factor in the location of the land I bought earlier this year. Stamets has discussed at length how beneficial fungi is to a permaculture system, and while i don't buy into a ton of the crap permaculture evangelicals spout, I firmly believe introducing name mushroom cultures en masse to a microclimate can have profound positive impacts in the long term.

Plus, weird looking mushrooms sell for a hell of a lot more than boring brown or white mushrooms that everyone is familiar with.

A future endeavor I want to get into as well is making extracts and tinctures. Pound for pound, tinctures and extracts can yield significantly more revenue than selling the mushrooms raw or dry, and they have much better shelf life. That's a whole other discussion though.
Well if your objective was to confuse the shit out of me, mission accomplished lmfao🤣
Ill prolly just get an injectagrow bag and fail miserably lol🤣🤣

I think I'm going to try an alcohol extraction myself when I have more

PXL_20231011_201633260~2.jpg
More mushroom noob questions from a first time grower

So just to clarify, there is nothing I can do to avoid the ones that "bust"? And should I pick it or will it keep growing? It does have some awesome fuzzy feet

View attachment 25144
More mushroom noob questions from a first time grower

So just to clarify, there is nothing I can do to avoid the ones that "bust"? And should I pick it or will it keep growing? It does have some awesome fuzzy feet
Let em grow… pick when ready. The PE i grow grows blobs on the first flush… but they get a decent size

there was actually a silk road 2.0 marketplace for all of about five minutes. iirc the operators pulled an exit scam and ran off with all the escrow funds.

also, paying attention to what Ross ulbricht did to get caught is a grade A lesson in opsec failures. for being such a smart dude, he sure fucked up in a big, really simple way.
Hahaha I remember that

Ok I'm hoping I'm not bugging anyone out, and maybe this will help other newbs thinking about starting

I got this real funny one here, can anyone explain wtf is going on?

PXL_20231012_114258596~2.jpgPXL_20231012_112907462~2.jpg

that or it was somehow exposed to lysol. i've seen similar things happen when, in my youth, i'd bomb a room with lysol before opening the monotub.

that's about damn near perfect. luckily that guy was sterile so it didn't start dumping spores (can tell because the gills are tan, not dark purple/black). great work and timing!

that's about damn near perfect. luckily that guy was sterile so it didn't start dumping spores (can tell because the gills are tan, not dark purple/black). great work and timing!
Awesome!!
So are all of these going to be sterile? I'm sorry I lack the understanding you and @Aqua Man have of this subject, but I'm eager to learn

Awesome!!
So are all of these going to be sterile? I'm sorry I lack the understanding you and @Aqua Man have of this subject, but I'm eager to learn
not necessarily. i think that one was because of the mutation it has going on. mutants tend to be less eager to reproduce than normal healthy fruits. that's part of why getting spore prints off of penis envy and albino varieties tends to be more difficult than you would expect from otherwise prolific spore droppers. mutations really fuck with the reproductive cycle of mushrooms.

not necessarily. i think that one was because of the mutation it has going on. mutants tend to be less eager to reproduce than normal healthy fruits. that's part of why getting spore prints off of penis envy and albino varieties tends to be more difficult than you would expect from otherwise prolific spore droppers. mutations really fuck with the reproductive cycle of mushrooms.
And what leads to mutations, genetics?

primarily, yes. sometimes mutations can be triggered by environmental issues such as exposure to particular chemicals (eg, lysol or bleach), high levels of CO2, bacterial or mold infections, etc.
Would this be a beneficial trait that can be replicated?

These are def bigger than the first go round, and I can see another flush coming. Is there an average amount of flushes for cubensis? PXL_20231012_221726167.jpg

Would this be a beneficial trait that can be replicated?

These are def bigger than the first go round, and I can see another flush coming. Is there an average amount of flushes for cubensis? View attachment 25431
Yes and no re: beneficial. In instances like penis envy and albino varieties, they do contain a notable percentage more active alkaloids but that comes at the cost of requiring more exact production conditions and potentially smaller yields as well as a higher barrier to getting solid production from spore.

Subsequent flushes tend to produce larger fruit bodies. Cubensis can produce three to four flushes before the nutrients in the substrate are exhausted, or contamination takes hold and with the mycelium having been weakened due to fruiting (similar to a human after good sex) it'll just stop producing fruit bodies. People have been successful in throwing spent substrate onto like a compost pile and seeing more fruit production. However, most just go three or four flushes and call a run done.

Yes and no re: beneficial. In instances like penis envy and albino varieties, they do contain a notable percentage more active alkaloids but that comes at the cost of requiring more exact production conditions and potentially smaller yields as well as a higher barrier to getting solid production from spore.

Subsequent flushes tend to produce larger fruit bodies. Cubensis can produce three to four flushes before the nutrients in the substrate are exhausted, or contamination takes hold and with the mycelium having been weakened due to fruiting (similar to a human after good sex) it'll just stop producing fruit bodies. People have been successful in throwing spent substrate onto like a compost pile and seeing more fruit production. However, most just go three or four flushes and call a run done.
Cool that makes sense, thanks.

This book I got mentions how you can extract psycilobin from the mycelium at the end of it all, but idk if it would be worth it or not. What are your thoughts on that

Cool that makes sense, thanks.

This book I got mentions how you can extract psycilobin from the mycelium at the end of it all, but idk if it would be worth it or not. What are your thoughts on that
i've heard and read various teks about it, but I personally don't think it's a resource nor time efficient process. from a novelty perspective? sure, it's cool. but in terms of wanting to collect every last bit of usable alkaloid i don't think the returns would be worth the cost of materials + time.

Ok last update from me for a while, just so cool finally figured it out enough to get this far

Seems like a small beaut to me
View attachment 25483
Perfect man…. That’s exactly how i like to see them but imho these days i just pick em all when they are close. Basically im am a bit lazy but im ok with that lol

Bing bang boom

Tidal wave(heard rumors of this being super potent)
B+
JMF (Jedi mind fuck)

Inoculated after picture taken.

PXL_20231013_201535982.jpg

Bing bang boom

Tidal wave(heard rumors of this being super potent)
B+
JMF (Jedi mind fuck)

Inoculated after picture taken.

View attachment 25601
Good choices… my next is holy grail… as if regular PE wasn’t a big enough pita. This shit takes months to grow and does not produce spores or mushrooms for that matter

Back
Top Bottom