All things shrooms

Just for some info on what i consider to be my new go to over polyfill… i have used it a couple times now and the results are in enough to satisfy me to change course.

Paper micropore tape. It must be the paper kind like this…. Sooo much easier than poly imo.

Nothing wrong with polyfill and i will still use it for my jars but for my tubs its just to dam easy and have seen no difference in my tubs

Good choices… my next is holy grail… as if regular PE wasn’t a big enough pita. This shit takes months to grow and does not produce spores or mushrooms for that matter

Jealous of Canadians again thanks to that site lol

Hey if you can get tidal wave some genetics of that can be even more potent than the holy grail
Awesome, I def want to try APE again. I had a failed run and now I think I know enough what I did wrong that time.

Of course I have been eating some of my harvest every night this week...

Awesome, I def want to try APE again. I had a failed run and now I think I know enough what I did wrong that time.

Of course I have been eating some of my harvest every night this week...
Fresh dried are soooo much better than the shit you can buy. Hiw are you srying yours?

Fresh dried are soooo much better than the shit you can buy. Hiw are you srying yours?
PXL_20231014_164841617.jpg
Only the big ones need some more time in there.
Then I read I should store them once dried with some silica bags which I am.

View attachment 25767
Only the big ones need some more time in there.
Then I read I should store them once dried with some silica bags which I am.
I used to use a dehydrator but now i prefer just a screen and fan. Takes 3-5 days but no degradation from heat. I cannot say how much difference this makes but just incase thats how i do it now

I used to use a dehydrator but now i prefer just a screen and fan. Takes 3-5 days but no degradation from heat. I cannot say how much difference this makes but just incase thats how i do it now
Makes sense. This book I has says you can dry them fine on a sushi(slotted bamboo) mat for a week, seems to work fine for smaller ones but the big ones were getting funky so I quickly ordered this thing.

I am going with a super low heat setting of around 110, I would rather do longer than high heat and fast. Your way is probably the best, no heat

Makes sense. This book I has says you can dry them fine on a sushi(slotted bamboo) mat for a week, seems to work fine for smaller ones but the big ones were getting funky so I quickly ordered this thing.

I am going with a super low heat setting of around 110, I would rather do longer than high heat and fast. Your way is probably the best, no heat
What i use and takes 3-4 days on low. But PE is fat so you maybe a day or 2.

Its just 2x3 frame with window screen and i can add as many as i want. Can do many lbs at a time.

Total cost was like $50
IMG_1205.jpegIMG_1206.jpegIMG_1207.jpeg

Back to APE and PE, are there any favorable environmental factors different than the standard cubensis?

Back to APE and PE, are there any favorable environmental factors different than the standard cubensis?
Nope but they take a bit longer so contam is a bit more of a concern imo. The longer you go the higher the risk of contam. They also can produce some funky mutations.

Nope but they take a bit longer so contam is a bit more of a concern imo. The longer you go the higher the risk of contam. They also can produce some funky mutations.
Gotcha. I think after this next run of 3, I'm going to try to do the real monotub with the APE.

Non-active shit today.

First up is some agar plates. Went to knock up all the grain and realized I didn't have any transfers, only origination plates, so can't guarantee they're clean cultures. Used the last of the plates I had so made up more.

Next up is the spawn bags I've had since before I moved. These guys were gonna go to more grain but apparently they got tired of waiting for me and started fruiting. So into the Martha they went. I gotta build a fogger as my little ultrasonic humidifier can't keep up with my exhaust fan running on low constantly and I'll need the FAE for the pan cyans.

So, we've got a block of reishi and a block of lions mane in the martha. I'll take clones from the fruit bodies once I have some more mature fruit bodies.

PXL_20231014_233949172.jpgPXL_20231014_221757606.jpgPXL_20231014_215152898.jpg

Non-active shit today.

First up is some agar plates. Went to knock up all the grain and realized I didn't have any transfers, only origination plates, so can't guarantee they're clean cultures. Used the last of the plates I had so made up more.

Next up is the spawn bags I've had since before I moved. These guys were gonna go to more grain but apparently they got tired of waiting for me and started fruiting. So into the Martha they went. I gotta build a fogger as my little ultrasonic humidifier can't keep up with my exhaust fan running on low constantly and I'll need the FAE for the pan cyans.

So, we've got a block of reishi and a block of lions mane in the martha. I'll take clones from the fruit bodies once I have some more mature fruit bodies.

View attachment 25821View attachment 25822View attachment 25823
Man i love your setup

Man i love your setup
The martha kinda bugs me. it's not clean enough for my liking. Kinda ghetto, but good enough for a temporary solution till i configure some space for a more permanent solution.

That flowhood, though... I fucking love that thing. Coming from a SAB (which I'll still use for air movement sensitive things like spore prints) having a safe working space of 34" x 22" (I stay within an inch of the edge of the filter on all sides to avoid turbulent backdraft) provides some serious breathing room man. Best damn investment I've made in this hobby/soon-to-be business venture.

What I'll probably end up doing to help with generating enough humidity while running the exhaust is two-fold.

One is to build a fogger like what is used for large tents/rooms. Basically a pond fogger in a tote with 2" PVC piping coming out and a fan pushing air into the tote. These generate a shit ton of humidity.

Two is putting a vent filter on the exhaust fan outlet. This will restrict the CFM the inline fan is pulling (which is way oversized for the martha, ACI S6 -- 6" inline fan) and should help keep the fan from pulling so hard that the RH drops 10% within a minute of running.

Ideally FAE will be constant but the environment will be maintaining between 80% and 90% RH. temperature I'm not worried about given the exhaust from the grow tent and the dehuey are keeping the garage ~77F, but that's another issue. the martha is taking in 30% RH air. I didn't account for this variable when I did my initial test runs in July, so some dialing in is needed.

What I'll probably end up doing to help with generating enough humidity while running the exhaust is two-fold.

One is to build a fogger like what is used for large tents/rooms. Basically a pond fogger in a tote with 2" PVC piping coming out and a fan pushing air into the tote. These generate a shit ton of humidity.

Two is putting a vent filter on the exhaust fan outlet. This will restrict the CFM the inline fan is pulling (which is way oversized for the martha, ACI S6 -- 6" inline fan) and should help keep the fan from pulling so hard that the RH drops 10% within a minute of running.

Ideally FAE will be constant but the environment will be maintaining between 80% and 90% RH. temperature I'm not worried about given the exhaust from the grow tent and the dehuey are keeping the garage ~77F, but that's another issue. the martha is taking in 30% RH air. I didn't account for this variable when I did my initial test runs in July, so some dialing in is needed.
Sounds like a perfect plan to me bro

@tobh

That's exactly what I was thinking, a couple ultrasonic things in a tote is a beast budget humidifier.

When you say, comes from an SAB, what is that?

And this is the inevitable question to you and @Aqua Man , what's the cheapest entry point to making my own spore prints and then liquid culture? Do I need a whatchamacallit filter vent/ workspace?

I'm already tired of buying spore syringes,I want to be able to reproduce independently

Fyi I'm totally fucked, so it's hard to read what I wrote

Love you guys, I'm in the process of helping a dear friend be able to grow herself. I need to bump up my knowledge

When you say, comes from an SAB, what is that?
SAB = Still Air Box
And this is the inevitable question to you and @Aqua Man , what's the cheapest entry point to making my own spore prints and then liquid culture? Do I need a whatchamacallit filter vent/ workspace?
You do not need a laminar flow hood (so affectionately called a whatchamacallit filter vent/workspace). You can do just about everything in a SAB just fine, and I highly recommend everyone that's interested in mycology start there. If you can pour agar and not get contamination, you have clean enough technique to do just about anything else.

A laminar flowhood isn't a magic bullet. If you have poor aseptic technique, you'll still have problems. I digress.

A SAB is your entry point. here's a simple tek for making spore prints.

Materials needed:

• A box of ziplock sandwich bags
  • 2" x 2" aluminum foil squares
  • Thumb tacks -- the kind that have that plastic handle bit, not the flat ones
  • Fresh, sporulating mushrooms. keep the stems attached for now
  • A fresh razor blade -- the kind for box cutters, not a shaving blade
  • Ozium (not lysol)

Process:

1. Wipe everything (aside from the mushroom caps) down with ISO and load into your SAB. Do NOT open the sandwich bags, just wipe down the outside.
2. Load your mushrooms into the SAB
3. Bomb the SAB and the room the SAB is in with Ozium
4. let the shit settle for 15 minutes
5. Dawn your gloves, rinse your gloved hands and forearms with ISO
6. Take a mushroom, cut the stem as close to the gills as you can
7. Stick a thumbtack in the top of the cap
8. Set the cap gills down on a piece of foil
9. Slide the foil with the cap into a ziplock bag
10. Clean the razor blade
11. Repeat steps 6 - 10 for all caps
12. Leave the bags in the SAB for two to three days
13. After a few days, come back, don gloves, repeat ISO wash on hands and forearms, and remove caps. Seal bags.

You've made spore prints. You should NOT move to a MS syringe from these prints. Agar work from print is damn near mandatory. Are spore syringes a thing? yes. should they be used to inoculate LC or grain? No. Does it work? yes. but, you stand a high chance of contamination.

SAB = Still Air Box

You do not need a laminar flow hood (so affectionately called a whatchamacallit filter vent/workspace). You can do just about everything in a SAB just fine, and I highly recommend everyone that's interested in mycology start there. If you can pour agar and not get contamination, you have clean enough technique to do just about anything else.

A laminar flowhood isn't a magic bullet. If you have poor aseptic technique, you'll still have problems. I digress.

A SAB is your entry point. here's a simple tek for making spore prints.

Materials needed:

• A box of ziplock sandwich bags
  • 2" x 2" aluminum foil squares
  • Thumb tacks -- the kind that have that plastic handle bit, not the flat ones
  • Fresh, sporulating mushrooms. keep the stems attached for now
  • A fresh razor blade -- the kind for box cutters, not a shaving blade
  • Ozium (not lysol)

Process:

1. Wipe everything (aside from the mushroom caps) down with ISO and load into your SAB. Do NOT open the sandwich bags, just wipe down the outside.
2. Load your mushrooms into the SAB
3. Bomb the SAB and the room the SAB is in with Ozium
4. let the shit settle for 15 minutes
5. Dawn your gloves, rinse your gloved hands and forearms with ISO
6. Take a mushroom, cut the stem as close to the gills as you can
7. Stick a thumbtack in the top of the cap
8. Set the cap gills down on a piece of foil
9. Slide the foil with the cap into a ziplock bag
10. Clean the razor blade
11. Repeat steps 6 - 10 for all caps
12. Leave the bags in the SAB for two to three days
13. After a few days, come back, don gloves, repeat ISO wash on hands and forearms, and remove caps. Seal bags.

You've made spore prints. You should NOT move to a MS syringe from these prints. Agar work from print is damn near mandatory. Are spore syringes a thing? yes. should they be used to inoculate LC or grain? No. Does it work? yes. but, you stand a high chance of contamination.

this seems doable!! is there a name for this tek?

man i appreciate your time to make this list!! it does not go unappreciated

follow up:
this SAB must be the boxes people outfit with dish gloves fastened to them, i'm assuming, just didn't know the acronym.

i know about some ozium, makes a car smell brand new, especially for smokers. i do have a portable powered ozone generator i use for bursts in the car now to clean. could i use this constantly in the SAB or will the oxygen radicals kill the spore work i'm doing?

i'll look up about this agar process, that's the stuff in the petri dishes i'm guessing. i have some vegan sunflower agar agar powder, but i'm sure that's not what i need i'm assuming

this seems doable!! is there a name for this tek?

man i appreciate your time to make this list!! it does not go unappreciated

follow up:
this SAB must be the boxes people outfit with dish gloves fastened to them, i'm assuming, just didn't know the acronym.

i know about some ozium, makes a car smell brand new, especially for smokers. i do have a portable powered ozone generator i use for bursts in the car now to clean. could i use this constantly in the SAB or will the oxygen radicals kill the spore work i'm doing?

i'll look up about this agar process, that's the stuff in the petri dishes i'm guessing. i have some vegan sunflower agar agar powder, but i'm sure that's not what i need i'm assuming
alright, let me break this down.

A SAB is not a glovebox. When gloves are affixed, it becomes a glovebox and is not what you want. Glove boxes encapsulate all the air within them, so any movement creates significant more air disturbances. A SAB leaves the holes open, and because there is space for the air to equalize with external pressure, the air disturbances inside the box are minimized (within reason -- move slooooow).

Do NOT run an ozone generator anywhere near your face in a confined space. That's how you die. Seriously, just don't. Bomb the space with Ozium, leave for 15 minutes, wash down with ISO and do work. Ozone is highly hazardous, don't fuck with it.

Agar agar is sourced from seaweed. What you have likely will work. My recipe for agar is:

500ml
9g agar agar
9g light malt extract

Sometimes I get fancy as do a nutrient yeast broth in place of the 500ml water, but I'm not trying to overcomplicate it here. The above recipe will work.

You 100% need a pressure cooker or autoclave though. You CANNOT do agar work without that single component. Also, DO NOT run a pressure cooker on a glass/ceramic top stove. You stand the chance of the stove top exploding and throwing molten glass everywhere. Just don't do it. Get an open element hot plate or a turkey fryer burner instead. Or, foot the bill and buy an electric autoclave and don't worry about it. That's my next big purchase, personally.

@Aqua Man i'm gonna give the pan cyans another go. I've had luck with pan bisporus germinating on agar no problem -- it's an aggressive variety for sure -- but i haven't been able to get pan cyans to germinate on MEA (same recipe as above) and have tried on probably a dozen plates. Just waiting on the bisporus T1 plate to show clean then I'll get that culture on grain. Same with the APE.

I'm thinking about adding a tablespoon or so of manure to the agar recipe to give that a shot, as well as sacrificing a jar of grain to potential contamination by way of doing a multispore inoculation from the syringe. I've read they're notoriously difficult to get going on agar but do fine on BRF and grains, then taking a transfer to agar is much easier.

Any advice? I know you've worked with this variety before, hence the ping.

@Aqua Man i'm gonna give the pan cyans another go. I've had luck with pan bisporus germinating on agar no problem -- it's an aggressive variety for sure -- but i haven't been able to get pan cyans to germinate on MEA (same recipe as above) and have tried on probably a dozen plates. Just waiting on the bisporus T1 plate to show clean then I'll get that culture on grain. Same with the APE.

I'm thinking about adding a tablespoon or so of manure to the agar recipe to give that a shot, as well as sacrificing a jar of grain to potential contamination by way of doing a multispore inoculation from the syringe. I've read they're notoriously difficult to get going on agar but do fine on BRF and grains, then taking a transfer to agar is much easier.

Any advice? I know you've worked with this variety before, hence the ping.
Yeah they really do much better with some manure added. Its night and day atleast with the many substrains i worked with from spores.

My manure of choice was turkey trot since its dried pellets and super easy to work with. I believe i used around 1 gram per per 500ml of agar because its really hot.

That agar works great for all species too even cubes loved it and showed a noticeable difference. I used to also add it to my sub but I can’t for the life of me remember the volume

Yeah they really do much better with some manure added. Its night and day atleast with the many substrains i worked with from spores.

My manure of choice was turkey trot since its dried pellets and super easy to work with. I believe i used around 1 gram per per 500ml of agar because its really hot.

That agar works great for all species too even cubes loved it and showed a noticeable difference. I used to also add it to my sub but I can’t for the life of me remember the volume
awesome. i have some aged cow manure on hand, so I'll make up a batch of agar and give it a go. figure it might wake up cubensis syringe i have that's been rather finicky about germinating on agar too.

realized i've only tried one of the four varieties of pan cyans i have as well, so i just knocked up a plate with a second variety to see if i can achieve better results.

i need to get some antibiotics because i have one other cubensis syringe that is NOT clean at all (this is why you should only buy genetics from trusted, well known vendors) in hopes of getting a clean mycelium culture. fuckin syringe cost me six jars last year, and every plate i've knocked up with it has gone fully bacterial within a few days. bastards selling dirty shit piss me off.

Absolutely excellent thread. highly recommend anyone new to growing mushrooms takes a look at that!
You are right that is a good thread, especially for a newb.

This cool ass pic came up on my feed today
Screenshot_20231018-140508.png

It's been a while since I have given a good update so here it goes.

First off, my wife and I decided to delay our Fall/Winter grow this year. We have an abundance of flower in the house. It's a bit of everything I have grown over the last 2 years. Even the older stuff is still good despite it's age ...

Stash.jpg

So for now, I'm doing my best to look like a home hobby mycologist. I've got some psilocybe natalensis that are just beginning to fruit. I've had some struggles with my equipment which has allowed things to dry out and has slowed the process down. My opinion on AC Infinity products has take a huge hit. I've had a lot better luck using my older WiFi Inkbird controller.

P.Natalensis.jpg

One thing I've been doing since the middle of the summer is making a liquid culture of all my genetics when I purchase them. This makes a 10 ml spore or liquid culture syringe into an almost unlimited supply. I store the cultures in the refrigerator when not in use.

Liquid Culture 1.jpgLiquid Culture 2.jpgHome made culture lids.jpg

I'm currently waiting on a batch of agar plates and I'll begin keeping a plate for each strain I run. I'm also waiting for the following to arrive:

– Pans Cyan Estero 10ml Research Syringe
– Pearly Gates 10ml Research Syringe
– Hillbilly 10ml Research Syringe
– Ghost 10ml Research Syringe
– Penis Envy 10ml Research Syringe

I'm also making up my own spawn grain bags/jars. I'm also making my own coco based substrate mix.

Freshly Prepped Winter Wheat Berries.jpg

So far, it seems like my extra large insta-pot has been up to the task of steam sterilization. The only drawback is I can only fit 4 quart jars in it at a time.

Back
Top Bottom