Rattlesnakes are moving tonight. My cat just alerted me to a Pygmy rattler. It moves no more. Right off my carport, and man did it blend in well with the yard. Those are the truly dangerous ones. Generally less than 12” and about as big around as a pencil.
Now that I have caught a buzz, it’s all snakes. Every single twig on the ground..

Rattlesnakes are moving tonight. My cat just alerted me to a Pygmy rattler. It moves no more. Right off my carport, and man did it blend in well with the yard. Those are the truly dangerous ones. Generally less than 12” and about as big around as a pencil.
Now that I have caught a buzz, it’s all snakes. Every single twig on the ground..
I can deal with spiders and rodents but snakes is where I draw the line. I'm like Indiana Jones :ROFLMAO:

Many moons ago, I had to do a couple weeks of training at Eglin AFB in Florida. It seemed like every crate or piece of equipment we moved had pygmy rattlers and scorpions under it. The snakes weren't really much of a threat as they were only big enough to bite a finger. The scorpions were similar to a bee sting. So, we just had to be aware of where we put our hands. It was weird to not really worry about during the day, but at night I dreamed those things were crawling all over me, lol. Supply screwed up and shipped our cold weather gear. It was hot and humid and our sleeping bags were suited for Alaska. So, I'd start out sleeping on top of my bag, but wake up inside it absolutely drenched in sweat.

That base had some serious people train there long before my little visit. I've read stories about the training the Special Forces did there before and during Vietnam. Those guys were truly amazing.

snakes and spiders i can deal with, but we only get timber rattlers around here and they pretty much leave ya alone.

but scorpions....
giphy.webp

no way... get me me out of there!!!!!!

Many moons ago, I had to do a couple weeks of training at Eglin AFB in Florida. It seemed like every crate or piece of equipment we moved had pygmy rattlers and scorpions under it. The snakes weren't really much of a threat as they were only big enough to bite a finger. The scorpions were similar to a bee sting. So, we just had to be aware of where we put our hands. It was weird to not really worry about during the day, but at night I dreamed those things were crawling all over me, lol. Supply screwed up and shipped our cold weather gear. It was hot and humid and our sleeping bags were suited for Alaska. So, I'd start out sleeping on top of my bag, but wake up inside it absolutely drenched in sweat.

That base had some serious people train there long before my little visit. I've read stories about the training the Special Forces did there before and during Vietnam. Those guys were truly amazing.
Yup, Florida is famous for the dusky Pygmy rattler, here we have what is called the western. Unlike the larger timber rattler that deliver small amounts of venom, these guys deliver a lot! All of us in my area live at least forty minutes to an ER. We have scorpions as well. Seldom seen, but they lay a big blister!

Yup, Florida is famous for the dusky Pygmy rattler, here we have what is called the western. Unlike the larger timber rattler that deliver small amounts of venom, these guys deliver a lot! All of us in my area live at least forty minutes to an ER. We have scorpions as well. Seldom seen, but they lay a big blister!
Rural living has its drawbacks, but the pluses are many. 40mins from the ER is a long time.

I'm pretty good with snakes unless I'm right on top of one before I see it. Most of what I have around me now are harmless. I live on a small creek and we have a small pond. So, we have plenty of banded water snakes. They have an attitude, but are harmless. Black snakes, garters, hog nose, corn... We do have copperheads, but not a regular encounter. My aunt found one that had crawled through the vent and into her dryer earlier this Summer.

We have timber rattlers that usually stay in higher elevations unless we're in a drought. I've only seen them on the road, but there are people who hunt them for fun and they can harvest some.

We need some rain. It's dry now with no rain forecasted.

Stay safe from all the creepy-crawlies.

All ya'll better enjoy your Friday. I'm headed to night shift tonight and my next day off is not in the forecast.

Pipe says when you're retired, every day is Friday. We'll when you're understaffed, every day feels like a Monday. Damn near gotta rock-paper-scissors or arm wrestle for a weekend off...
You are my hero Grump...inside job done well.

Don’t shoot your toes off.

Well that's one thing our shit weather is good for...no poisonous critters, no snakes other than garden snakes & no scorpions or deadly spiders...seems like cold, damp shitty weather keeps them away....ticks, Mosquito's & black flies are our pests

Well that's one thing our shit weather is good for...no poisonous critters, no snakes other than garden snakes & no scorpions or deadly spiders...seems like cold, damp shitty weather keeps them away....ticks, Mosquito's & black flies are our pests
I have heard that the black flies are atrocious! We have it all here. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cotton mouths, scorpions, black widows and brown recluse and now huge killer hornets have moved in.
The cats have greatly reduced the snake population. Just for that alone I will continue to love and feed them!

I have heard that the black flies are atrocious! We have it all here. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, cotton mouths, scorpions, black widows and brown recluse and now huge killer hornets have moved in.
The cats have greatly reduced the snake population. Just for that alone I will continue to love and feed them!
Not as bad as a snake bite but in May, early June they can be bad, more nuisance than anything.They don't come inside but the cats will get a few bites on their faces and ears where the hair is thinner...doesn't seem to bother them much. My wife gets big welts where she gets bit, they seem to affect her more. I use the bug spray liberally, she sprays a cloud and runs through it....lol....if I try to spray her down she freaks out so okay deal with the bites then....lol

Granny are you talking about the murder hornets?

1280px-Vespa_mandarinia_japonica1.jpg

i fear these populating the country, it would destroy our bees.
Yup that’s the ones. Huge! They must not be making it very well here as I still have tons of bees. As bad as a small hornets sting hurts, I can’t imagine one of these.

Yup that’s the ones. Huge! They must not be making it very well here as I still have tons of bees. As bad as a small hornets sting hurts, I can’t imagine one of these.

i know they were in the northern north west and a couple organizations were trying their best to wipe them out but they just got to be too much. t they would catch them and put gps trackers on to find the hive and suck it up in a vacuum.

i hope we can find a predator for them!!

what part of the country are you in?

i know they were in the northern north west and a couple organizations were trying their best to wipe them out but they just got to be too much. t they would catch them and put gps trackers on to find the hive and suck it up in a vacuum.

i hope we can find a predator for them!!

what part of the country are you in?
Missouri is traditionally called the Midwest or the heartland.. I live in SW Mo in the Ozark Mtns.

Anyone want to whack a deer with their car today???.......Sure sounds like a plan !!!....Fkin tick packin Weed eating brown things wiped out my nice little car today...just hopped out and whack 30mph bumper eater buckled my hood wiped out the grill, crushed the radiator, headlight dangling. not driveable. Just got it all fixed up. We looked for the deer afterwards but it disappeared into the woods after a 360* flip in the air......Now stuck at home until insurance deals with it. Big sigh.....and....I was wearing my sun glasses and left them....and my spare set in the car...everything is fuzzy......sigh.....I got notice a good friend died to day in BC after being sick for a while....Not a good day........I think its to bed early tonight

Back
Top Bottom