Well, I put my scrogs on starting about 2 weeks ago. The solstice is in a couple days, so flower will be starting in a couple weeks for some probably, but that's dependent on the strain and I have 8 different strains, so who knows. I honestly could have smashed them down sooner, because I split two of them, it's easier to manipulate them before they're so woody.
The height depends on the plant, my lowest one is only about 13 inches, which is honestly too low but Cinderella is short and stout. I'm trying to keep them lower than last year for stealth, which will make underside maintenance a little harder. The highest one is like 22 inches, the Shaman that I split, that's about the height they all were last year. I may raise a couple up some, not sure yet... getting to the point of no return here soon.

I guess what I do is kind of a hybrid between scrogging and trellising? So when I put the scrog on, I really spread them out and smush them down, as you do with a scrog... after a day they stand up and start growing, the stuff that was in the middle and sides of the branches grows up with the increased light, I continue to adjust the branches to maintain a mostly even canopy, usually like every third day-ish, or just when I'm out there burning one and see a tall branch sticking up. All the little lateral growth will poke up through its own hole as long as you keep spreading and grow up. After a couple weeks, it's clear what isn't going to grow to a place where it will have enough light to make a nice top, and that's usually when I do my major defoliation, which I did yesterday. Took off old damaged fans, leaves pointing down or in the dirt, shaved the legs of the spindly lower branches, I usually remove probably half of the lower small branches, the smaller ones, and the rest I strip and leave the top growth to make its way up to the net if it can. Sometimes I attach them with wire where I want them to go if they don't cooperate. Same with the main stalk, I will attach it so it grows where I want it if it's not going without a fight. I also plant most at an angle so they naturally start to open up and the lower stuff points up before I even begin the torture. I will continue to adjust until it's well spread and then let it grow up so I have nice colas. They will continue to get thier stretch on over the next few weeks. I think this year I might add a second layer of screen to support the buds, we'll see.
Usually by the time they flower they are shaped and spread how I want. There comes a point that you can't adjust anymore without breaking shit too. My method is put one hand under net, one on top, fold branch and gather leaves with top hand and pull through hole with bottom hand in one swift motion, and don't do it when they're thirsty. I should do a write up in the outdoor forum I suppose.
As far as advantages, for me in this climate of zone 4, there's many.
•Airflow. Spreading them out and defoliation keeps the air flowing and makes it a less hospitable environment for PM and botrytis.
• Stealth. This was the reason I attempted an outdoor scrog in the first place, after my year of 6 foot plus trees gave hubs a coronary. They are much less conspicuous as a bush than a giant Christmas tree lol.
•Maintenance. Having them spread out makes it easier to prune and remove dead shit, debris, fucking Japanese beetles, etc. Makes it easier to spray evenly and underneath for preventative measures. Makes it easier to dry them fast with the leaf blower during wet times. Needing a ladder for maintenance is a pain. You can see everything right there and catch issues right away.
• Even sized buds, little to no larf. Buds are done mostly all at the same time. Giant colas on trees you can barely reach is a recipe for mold.
• Makes harvest easier. I often live trim off most of the fans as they stand and I can cut and hang by the arm.
• During very dry times, I spray the mulch beneath the scrog to add a little humidity for them, which they seem to enjoy, and the shade they make with the nice big canopy helps keep the roots cooler and happy and let's me go longer before needing to come home to water if I'm off camping or something.
Let me know if I forgot anything or if you have more questions about my MacGyver methods lol.
Quick suggestion......If you're going to add support netting make sure your poles are tall enough for you to be able to slide the entire net up.

When harvest time comes I've found that it makes it easier to unwind the branches if all you have to do is lift the net and unwind keeping the tension you have on the net. The first time a friend of mine double trellised his grow he mangled the flowers trying to unwind them from the net by removing one corner and trying to release the branches.

Great write up. I would move it to the soil forum and do a diary of sorts that illustrates the points you made.

Quick suggestion......If you're going to add support netting make sure your poles are tall enough for you to be able to slide the entire net up.

When harvest time comes I've found that it makes it easier to unwind the branches if all you have to do is lift the net and unwind keeping the tension you have on the net. The first time a friend of mine double trellised his grow he mangled the flowers trying to unwind them from the net by removing one corner and trying to release the branches.

Great write up. I would move it to the soil forum and do a diary of sorts that illustrates the points you made.
Yeah that's my hesitation adding a second screen, making my life harder is not what I'm going for. Usually I just chop by the arm below the scrog and pull it up. Last year I only had a few colas that needed extra support and I just tied them to a stake. They're usually pretty strong by harvest from getting thier asses kicked by the elements for months.

Well, I put my scrogs on starting about 2 weeks ago. The solstice is in a couple days, so flower will be starting in a couple weeks for some probably, but that's dependent on the strain and I have 8 different strains, so who knows. I honestly could have smashed them down sooner, because I split two of them, it's easier to manipulate them before they're so woody.
The height depends on the plant, my lowest one is only about 13 inches, which is honestly too low but Cinderella is short and stout. I'm trying to keep them lower than last year for stealth, which will make underside maintenance a little harder. The highest one is like 22 inches, the Shaman that I split, that's about the height they all were last year. I may raise a couple up some, not sure yet... getting to the point of no return here soon.

I guess what I do is kind of a hybrid between scrogging and trellising? So when I put the scrog on, I really spread them out and smush them down, as you do with a scrog... after a day they stand up and start growing, the stuff that was in the middle and sides of the branches grows up with the increased light, I continue to adjust the branches to maintain a mostly even canopy, usually like every third day-ish, or just when I'm out there burning one and see a tall branch sticking up. All the little lateral growth will poke up through its own hole as long as you keep spreading and grow up. After a couple weeks, it's clear what isn't going to grow to a place where it will have enough light to make a nice top, and that's usually when I do my major defoliation, which I did yesterday. Took off old damaged fans, leaves pointing down or in the dirt, shaved the legs of the spindly lower branches, I usually remove probably half of the lower small branches, the smaller ones, and the rest I strip and leave the top growth to make its way up to the net if it can. Sometimes I attach them with wire where I want them to go if they don't cooperate. Same with the main stalk, I will attach it so it grows where I want it if it's not going without a fight. I also plant most at an angle so they naturally start to open up and the lower stuff points up before I even begin the torture. I will continue to adjust until it's well spread and then let it grow up so I have nice colas. They will continue to get thier stretch on over the next few weeks. I think this year I might add a second layer of screen to support the buds, we'll see.
Usually by the time they flower they are shaped and spread how I want. There comes a point that you can't adjust anymore without breaking shit too. My method is put one hand under net, one on top, fold branch and gather leaves with top hand and pull through hole with bottom hand in one swift motion, and don't do it when they're thirsty. I should do a write up in the outdoor forum I suppose.
As far as advantages, for me in this climate of zone 4, there's many.
•Airflow. Spreading them out and defoliation keeps the air flowing and makes it a less hospitable environment for PM and botrytis.
• Stealth. This was the reason I attempted an outdoor scrog in the first place, after my year of 6 foot plus trees gave hubs a coronary. They are much less conspicuous as a bush than a giant Christmas tree lol.
•Maintenance. Having them spread out makes it easier to prune and remove dead shit, debris, fucking Japanese beetles, etc. Makes it easier to spray evenly and underneath for preventative measures. Makes it easier to dry them fast with the leaf blower during wet times. Needing a ladder for maintenance is a pain. You can see everything right there and catch issues right away.
• Even sized buds, little to no larf. Buds are done mostly all at the same time. Giant colas on trees you can barely reach is a recipe for mold.
• Makes harvest easier. I often live trim off most of the fans as they stand and I can cut and hang by the arm.
• During very dry times, I spray the mulch beneath the scrog to add a little humidity for them, which they seem to enjoy, and the shade they make with the nice big canopy helps keep the roots cooler and happy and let's me go longer before needing to come home to water if I'm off camping or something.
Let me know if I forgot anything or if you have more questions about my MacGyver methods lol.
Beautiful write up, a follow up question if’n you don’t mind, how big do you like your SCROGS? 5x5, 6x4, ect…

I had today interview today for an IT consultant. I think it went very well! So there should be a second interview with even weirder questions.

This was the weirdest one I got today in the interview: imagine you work at home Depot and you see a guy buying a few 5 gallon buckets. You go over to ask him if you can assist him. He tells you that he is having people over for dinner and wants to serve the food in the buckets. How do you persuade him to buy bowls instead of buckets?

No lie, that was in the interview, right after how do you explain inheritance, as it relates to OOP, to a 5 year old. Which was a much more expected question.

I answered the weird question by explaining the dangers of serving food from non food grade plastic... She seemed to like the answer.

I had today interview today for an IT consultant. I think it went very well! So there should be a second interview with even weirder questions.

This was the weirdest one I got today in the interview: imagine you work at home Depot and you see a guy buying a few 5 gallon buckets. You go over to ask him if you can assist him. He tells you that he is having people over for dinner and wants to serve the food in the buckets. How do you persuade him to buy bowls instead of buckets?

No lie, that was in the interview, right after how do you explain inheritance, as it relates to OOP, to a 5 year old. Which was a much more expected question.

I answered the weird question by explaining the dangers of serving food from non food grade plastic... She seemed to like the answer.
How to explain inheritance to a 5 year old: If you dont take out the trash today you will get NOTHING from my inheritance lmao

wtf. what kind of questions are those? like what does that have to do with the job i applied for. corporate america today sucks big time.

I would have simply said "they don't pay me enough at Home Depot to change peoples minds on what they eat out of"

Buckets - fantastic idea.

You know what would really work well? Let's get you a sawzall from the tool department so you can cut these down to allow access to the food where all the joy is.

And we are going to need to sand those edges so you don;t get plastic shreds in the food. Let's grab this Porter Cable sander. Yeah that one. And this pack of sandpaper.

You know what else, you might want to head over to paint and lets find a way to seal these up for your guests. WE could add some color too, might make it nice. What kind of pattern do you think you would like? Floral? Really. You know, I saw some floral pattern bowls over by the dishwasher section, those would be a lot less expensive than all this stuff, and your work is done! Wanna see 'em?

They just want to see your thought process and how you think on your feet. They also want to know if you act like it is a dumb idea. Yes, they know it is a dumb idea. They want to see how you hide that, or if you can't. A good interviewer will be looking hard at the non-verbal part of your reply.

Buckets - fantastic idea.

You know what would really work well? Let's get you a sawzall from the tool department so you can cut these down to allow access to the food where all the joy is.

And we are going to need to sand those edges so you don;t get plastic shreds in the food. Let's grab this Porter Cable sander. Yeah that one. And this pack of sandpaper.

You know what else, you might want to head over to paint and lets find a way to seal these up for your guests. WE could add some color too, might make it nice. What kind of pattern do you think you would like? Floral? Really. You know, I saw some floral pattern bowls over by the dishwasher section, those would be a lot less expensive than all this stuff, and your work is done! Wanna see 'em?

They just want to see your thought process and how you think on your feet. They also want to know if you act like it is a dumb idea. Yes, they know it is a dumb idea. They want to see how you hide that, or if you can't. A good interviewer will be looking hard at the non-verbal part of your reply.
Yep more mind games. I know why they do it. I just don't like how some companies operate. Lol

I don't play those games. Don't insult my intelligence by making me dance like a monkey.

"Describe yourself in one word"

Annoyed.
dance like marionettes. lol I have only had to deal with those sorts of questions for a sales job. they wanted to see if how you would utilize upselling etc.

Beautiful write up, a follow up question if’n you don’t mind, how big do you like your SCROGS? 5x5, 6x4, ect…
Well I bought the 4 foot tall coated wire fence to use for the net, so they are either 4×5 or 4x6, kinda just fit them all in randomly... I think I have one screen that's longer cause it was on a 2 plant scrog last year.

So I gave in today and had an allergy pill. Knocked the chit outta me! Been piled up on the couch all day, more than likely snoring! Truth is, every part of me just wants to go get back on the couch! I have to be desperate to take one cuz I’ve no time for all of this lay about business.
Now, with all that said, I’m headed back to the couch! Catch yiz tomorrow 🥰

similar to what would you do if you were shrunk down to a fifth of your current size and trapped in a blender. slightly different correct answer, but a completely asinine question nonetheless. i've stopped interviews when asked questions like this. same way i've dropped out of interview cycles that require me to code some obscure leetcode algorithm. 99% of my career has been safely handling user input and safely handling output from a database. in one single instance have i used a BST.

it's bullshit like that which is the gatekeeping that keeps salaries high, which I don't mind the high salary, but realistically the only people that are going to answer those questions satisfactorily are fresh out of their CS program. When applying for senior+ level positions if they ask me those kind of things, I tell them they're looking for an entry to mid level candidate and call me back when they're ready to respect someone with a proven history of solving hard real-world problems.

similar to what would you do if you were shrunk down to a fifth of your current size and trapped in a blender. slightly different correct answer, but a completely asinine question nonetheless. i've stopped interviews when asked questions like this. same way i've dropped out of interview cycles that require me to code some obscure leetcode algorithm. 99% of my career has been safely handling user input and safely handling output from a database. in one single instance have i used a BST.

it's bullshit like that which is the gatekeeping that keeps salaries high, which I don't mind the high salary, but realistically the only people that are going to answer those questions satisfactorily are fresh out of their CS program. When applying for senior+ level positions if they ask me those kind of things, I tell them they're looking for an entry to mid level candidate and call me back when they're ready to respect someone with a proven history of solving hard real-world problems.
I once called off an interview in the middle of it.

One of the skills I have is soil mapping -- wandering around a landscape, mapping the soils I find. It's a great job if you like to wander around. I once interviewed for a soil scientist position with the USFS, because vast areas of this particular national forest was unmapped, soil-wise. This is a rare find in the US. So halfway through the interview, it came out that the mapping was already done, but was not yet published. The "soil science" they'd have me do involved filling out paperwork.

Then, during this team interview, one guy asks, "What do you consider your greatest weaknesses? What do you consider your greatest strengths?" I was about to say, "My greatest weakness is not being able to put up with stupid questions." Instead, I backed out, saying this didn't sound like a job I'd be happy with.

So I gave in today and had an allergy pill. Knocked the chit outta me! Been piled up on the couch all day, more than likely snoring! Truth is, every part of me just wants to go get back on the couch! I have to be desperate to take one cuz I’ve no time for all of this lay about business.
Now, with all that said, I’m headed back to the couch! Catch yiz tomorrow 🥰
Hope ya feeling better granny....BTW is chit a missouri thing I say that chit too sometimes but don't know where I ever picked it up? Lol

Good morning all, I hope everyone is doing well. I chopped and hung everything in my 3x3 that wasn't effected by the bud rot. I really have to stay on top of the humidity on my next grow which will be tough in the heat of the summer with 100% humidity coming soon, fk I hope I don't screw up my reveg.

I'm taking a trip to Calais Maine tomorrow morning early. I'm going for some Everclear and a flat of beer. I intend on being on the road by 3:45 am picking up my son in Halifax by 4:30 then a 5hr drive one way. I like to drive so I'm good with that. I gotta clean up my car today to prepare for US Customs inspection just in case there's any smoke bits in there. fill the tank and get to bed by 9pm tonight.

Good morning all, I hope everyone is doing well. I chopped and hung everything in my 3x3 that wasn't effected by the bud rot. I really have to stay on top of the humidity on my next grow which will be tough in the heat of the summer with 100% humidity coming soon, fk I hope I don't screw up my reveg.

I'm taking a trip to Calais Maine tomorrow morning early. I'm going for some Everclear and a flat of beer. I intend on being on the road by 3:45 am picking up my son in Halifax by 4:30 then a 5hr drive one way. I like to drive so I'm good with that. I gotta clean up my car today to prepare for US Customs inspection just in case there's any smoke bits in there. fill the tank and get to bed by 9pm tonight.
Safe travels

Morning @Pipecarver !
Much better here this morning.
Road trip!! You have to go that far to get liquor? Or is it just specific types or brands of liquor? At any rate sounds like a good time!
So sorry to read that you are dealing with bud rot 😕 that’s some nasty stuff. I guess this means a tear down and cleaning as well?

Morning @Farmerdave !
How are you this morning? It’s a pretty morning here in the Ozarks. Sunny and 68*, can’t ask for better than that!
Good Morning , Just a beautiful day Here , I cant remember so many sunny warm days in a row as we have had this year . The plants are looking Great!!! I think Im going to spark up a fire in the pit and do a little meditation this morning. I made my first scrog yesterday. Its totally a Mcgyver special cause im too broke to making it a fancy good one this year.

Good Morning , Just a beautiful day Here , I cant remember so many sunny warm days in a row as we have had this year . The plants are looking Great!!! I think Im going to spark up a fire in the pit and do a little meditation this morning. I made my first scrog yesterday. Its totally a Mcgyver special cause im too broke to making it a fancy good one this year.
Sounds like a fantastic way to start the day!
You should see my scrog table! PVC, fence wire and some pool noodles. It works!
We are all broke this year! It’s that lovely government we have currently in control. Everybody best relearn the old ways and hang on! Hurts me the worst when I see hard working people talk about having a rough time feeding their children.
All is good here, another beautiful day.

Did you have good airflow under/over/through the canopy when you got the budrot? Im out eadt and we have a solid week of rain which spikes rh here like a mofo.

Did you have good airflow under/over/through the canopy when you got the budrot? Im out eadt and we have a solid week of rain which spikes rh here like a mofo.
Yes, 3 fans blowing 24/7 with the door wide open. I had 1 fan blowing up from the bottom of the tent and 2 on the door blowing in with an extraction fan out a top port. I'm going to try and blow the air out of the tent and an extraction fan down low pulling moisture off the pots on my next run. I'll have 6 pots in my 5x5 and I might put a 30 pint dehue in the tent and vent it out. I lost my biggest buds. I don't want that happening again.

Sounds like a fantastic way to start the day!
You should see my scrog table! PVC, fence wire and some pool noodles. It works!
We are all broke this year! It’s that lovely government we have currently in control. Everybody best relearn the old ways and hang on! Hurts me the worst when I see hard working people talk about having a rough time feeding their children.
All is good here, another beautiful day.
Good mornin Granny! This is for sure a rough year for all of us it seems, but thst only makes recovery sweeter :D. I really hope we can get someone in government with an actual brain that isnt bought off by some evil corporate monolith. Time to start re-learning the old ways for sure, have you thought about growing outdoors? If the power grid goes to shit im gonna become an outdoor grower :p.

Back
Top Bottom