Moe is right, they dont need much at all to get going. My process now is put the germination plug in it's 3" netpot, which goes in a 1 gal poly paint can w a mini air pump/stone and stuck under a light. When its 4-5" and ready to rock I can transfer it into rdwc or wherever easily.
I have now rooted a clone successfully right in the netpot using it as well.
Was only $25 in parts but has helped a lot w managing things and getting the next plant going while my rdwc is occupied. Im not really making any suggestions, but logistics is definitely something that took more thought than I anticipated vs soil growing.

And probably 1/2 the ones that failed, failed because they overthough it and loved them to death
Even down here I could buy half used fox farm nutes all day off Craig’s list and all the budbuilders lights all day long everyone thinks they have something special though

Now I'm not gonna say it's frowned upon here, but I will say that there isn't any cheap weed at any dispensory near me.

My pump is currently maxed out and spraying the shit out of the water surface. The net pot drips everytime I lift the lid to check on things. That and I've been top-feeding 3 times a day, watering approximately 750 ml of res water over the entire surface of the hydroton.
Me either , Fla. is med only so 60-80 a 1/4 , that’s why they don’t want us to grow, but be legal . But my son out west buts $50 ounces all day $100 if he wants top shelf grade A

Me either , Fla. is med only so 60-80 a 1/4 , that’s why they don’t want us to grow, but be legal . But my son out west buts $50 ounces all day $100 if he wants top shelf grade A
There's an abundance of ignorance out here in the midwest. Was talking to a guy yesterday at work saying he can get 300 dollar pounds in southern California. He said once the cartel got ahold of good clones it was game over.

That's just hearsay and also not quite top shelf

You are asking the right questions. I cannot answer without data on your system. Anything I say is a guess.

If your res temp gets up in the upper 70s o2 goes way down. It becomes the limiting factor in growth. Bubbling could induce O2 increase while also cooling the water if pump runs cool and is placed strategically.

I would use a diaphragm pump and I think using nothing would be a mistake.
I’m no hydro guy but I would think no bubbler or agitation that nutes would settle ?

There's an abundance of ignorance out here in the midwest. Was talking to a guy yesterday at work saying he can get 300 dollar pounds in southern California. He said once the cartel got ahold of good clones it was game over.

That's just hearsay and also not quite top shelf
Black market here is still $1000 up an elbow but I expect it to continue up we’ve had a few 50lb plus bust coming in the state from cali and prices will go up - that is why I started down here was the expense in 2016 I paid $100 a 1/4 ounce ! Because thats all I could get ! Time to grow indoors. Took over a year to get good bud , but now I don’t want smoke anyone else’s here especially black market! Lol sprayed or laced with who knows? Hell people still smoke spice here! Crazy😮

Black market here is still $1000 up an elbow but I expect it to continue up we’ve had a few 50lb plus bust coming in the state from cali and prices will go up - that is why I started down here was the expense in 2016 I paid $100 a 1/4 ounce ! Because thats all I could get ! Time to grow indoors. Took over a year to get good bud , but now I don’t want smoke anyone else’s here especially black market! Lol sprayed or laced with who knows? Hell people still smoke spice here! Crazy😮
Man I am right there with ya. We get p's for 1500 here. I remember those 120 dollar quarters for sure. Hard times man. Ounces of no where near top shelf run for 200 now. That was what finally pushed the ol' lady to suggest growing. Once she was on board, there was no stopping me. I'm on a quest.

Sorry dude date night last night and my internet is Slow as a dial up modem this am. I’ll post links when I can see some damn pictures.

Good news on ph

Sorry dude date night last night and my internet is Slow as a dial up modem this am. I’ll post links when I can see some damn pictures.

Good news on ph
It continued up to 5.9 overnight. Top-feed just RO again this morning. I'll keep letting it drift up today and amend again this evening, if necessary.

No worries my man. You've been so much help. Take your time 👍

This stuff is pricy, but the best on the market I have found so far:

Lots to read up there about what it does and why.

@Anthem275 turned me on to this, he might have something to add.

You do not need this to grow. But if I had caught you at start up I would have said get this instead of the other ones you don't need. If you want to skip it this grow - no problem. All these bottles add up!

You do not need this to grow. But if I had caught you at start up I would have said get this instead of the other ones you don't need. If you want to skip it this grow - no problem. All these bottles add up!
We need a 'What you need and want" thread for beginners like me to hydro.
I would love to see all the experienced guy's different shopping lists and what they use different or in common.
Who's going to start it?

We need a 'What you need and want" thread for beginners like me to hydro.
I would love to see all the experienced guy's different shopping lists and what they use different or in common.
Who's going to start it?
Good idea.

I'll do a live Fallponics RDWC first timer running GH nutes thread when I get a couple hours to plan it out. That seems to be the most common nute brand out there. Probably some of that is my fault.

We need soil too. If someone starts me up a soil grow and gets me up to speed, I can do a hydro vs. soil side by side on my next grow. Always wanted to do that.

Could do Gaia Green or similar. @MysticEpipedon and I were just talking about how to do this. If you guys instruct the robot (me) we can give that a try, just tell me everything I need. @Moshmen too. Or @CannaGranny. Any of you grow god/desses out there show me what to do step by step and we can see if hydro vs. soil has any benefits. Measure what they are.

A common one is organic is smoother to smoke. So we are gonna need a bunch of testers for the harvest. We could make a poll to declare a winner and you just vote A or B but only the contest judge knows which is which. Just gotta get crafty about sneaking you folks some buds. ;) Anyone in or around Missouri is covered.

Could check yield, cannabinoids, terpenes side to side. Under otherwise identical conditions. Using clones or tissue culture for matching genetics.

It's a hydro vs soil showdown. Bwahahaha

OK what's my soil shopping list?

Sorry for the quick hijack grump but seeing this might help you too

BF8F70B4-25F0-41F3-9C39-F8F7B419377E.jpeg
21E8D24A-1F50-4EB3-8DF3-395D23321B86.jpeg

This is the growspace I will use. 13 gal plant sites but plenty of room to put other plants in there.

Has ac rh up and down co2 and plenty of air movement. The environment will not be the problem if I can’t grow in soil lol.

This stuff is pricy, but the best on the market I have found so far:

Lots to read up there about what it does and why.

@Anthem275 turned me on to this, he might have something to add.

$40 bucks a litre doesn't seem all that expensive, considering the cost of the stuff on my shelf with a red X on em now 🤣

I read up on it (not the brand in particular) some last night and it sounds like a miracle additive. I'm also a sucker for the "bioactive" buzzword. Living cultures working together has always interested me. Symbiosis. It's a beautiful thing.

Seeing an increase in yield being their main marketing direction, that catches my eye. Initially I just want a healthy plant and some practice with a technique or two, but eventually, my goal is yield. Quality comes second, simply because the quality of bud available, otherwise, is barely making par.

I'll have to find the link again, but I've got a scrog tutuorial saved that I want to attempt as well. The guy has a pretty interesting style that made me curious. Sort of bending the plant to his will, keeping it super short. It seemed like somewhat of a learning curve, but so did hydro in general. I don't mind a little deep water now and then.

Good idea.

I'll do a live Fallponics RDWC first timer running GH nutes thread when I get a couple hours to plan it out. That seems to be the most common nute brand out there. Probably some of that is my fault.

We need soil too. If someone starts me up a soil grow and gets me up to speed, I can do a hydro vs. soil side by side on my next grow. Always wanted to do that.

Could do Gaia Green or similar. @MysticEpipedon and I were just talking about how to do this. If you guys instruct the robot (me) we can give that a try, just tell me everything I need. @Moshmen too. Or @CannaGranny. Any of you grow god/desses out there show me what to do step by step and we can see if hydro vs. soil has any benefits. Measure what they are.

A common one is organic is smoother to smoke. So we are gonna need a bunch of testers for the harvest. We could make a poll to declare a winner and you just vote A or B but only the contest judge knows which is which. Just gotta get crafty about sneaking you folks some buds. ;) Anyone in or around Missouri is covered.

Could check yield, cannabinoids, terpenes side to side. Under otherwise identical conditions. Using clones or tissue culture for matching genetics.

I’d say it’s short you prolly already have everything you need ? Pick your dirt! Lol

Sorry for the quick hijack grump but seeing this might help you too

View attachment 1117
View attachment 1116

This is the growspace I will use. 13 gal plant sites but plenty of room to put other plants in there.

Has ac rh up and down co2 and plenty of air movement. The environment will not be the problem if I can’t grow in soil lol.
Hey man you do you. I don't mind getting a little sidetracked. You never know what you're gonna see.

I'll have to find the link again, but I've got a scrog tutuorial saved that I want to attempt as well. The guy has a pretty interesting style that made me curious. Sort of bending the plant to his will, keeping it super short. It seemed like somewhat of a learning curve, but so did hydro in general. I don't mind a little deep water now and then.
I tell you the best scrogger trainer on the planet is already here. @CannaGranny You should post on her thread.

I also typically scrog. These 2 plants I did a single clean up only on the bottom when in veg but otherwise let them do exactly what they wanted to. I try to grow differently every time I do it because I don't need the weed, I just want to play with plants. I mean look at those 2 plants up there. We use AT BEST a half ounce a month. And I have multiple tents lol. And been doing this for years. It isn't about yield for me anymore I just love growing. If it was, I'd scrog like Granny every time.

So while I got you, got questions on my grow?

You see how strong those plants are? Able to carry huge buds without support? That's the potassium silicate + PH down = monosilic acid that makes that happen. That think I said trust me about, there's why.

None of the bottles I put red X's on your shelf are in that grow. And these girls are just getting started into flower. We got a lotta more to go.

I’d say it’s short you prolly already have everything you need ? Pick your dirt! Lol
So happy tree frog pro mix plus miracle grow?

Nutes?

Pots? I guess like 7 gal cloth with some kinda pan for runoff? And something smaller to start them. I guess that should be plastic to make it easy to up pot.

I've seen you guys do it, but have none of that stuff here.

I tell you the best scrogger trainer on the planet is already here. @CannaGranny You should post on her thread.

I also typically scrog. These 2 plants I did a single clean up only on the bottom when in veg but otherwise let them do exactly what they wanted to. I try to grow differently every time I do it because I don't need the weed, I just want to play with plants. I mean look at those 2 plants up there. We use AT BEST a half ounce a month. And I have multiple tents lol. And been doing this for years. It isn't about yield for me anymore I just love growing. If it was, I'd scrog like Granny every time.

You see how strong those plants are? Able to carry huge buds without support? That's the potassium silicate + PH down = monosilic acid that makes that happen. That think I said trust me about, there's why.

None of the bottles I put red X's on your shelf are in that grow. And these girls are just getting started into flower. We got a lotta more to go.
Those suckers are shooting straight up, that's for sure. Will they need any support once the buds start to fatten? Is CO2 a bitch to get down? I almost went with a 1000w SF light, just in case I ever went that direction. We get pretty decent bonuses, so an upgrade is always just a Christmas away. I'm pretty sure I read on the Farm that you run dry nutes. Am I right? If so, is that another steep learning curve? Is it worth me looking into for when I run out of my trio?

We currently go through almost an ounce a week. Depends on the week 🤣. I've spent money on fire buds and I've had my fair share of brown frown brick that dude mentioned earlier. Realistically, they all do the job. I'm mostly a sucker for the flavors. So, if I could pump out max yield with at least decent flavor, I'll be a happy camper.

I remember Granny from the farm so I'll have to look more into her posts and methods. I built the lid for my tote with plywood so I can build a mobile rack, in an emergency sort of root rot situation, it can leave the tent, net and all. Maybe overkill, but for things I don't have a full grasp on, I over-engineer.

Also..

PH has been 5.9 since I first checked around 6am. 5.7 when I last checked around 9pm. Stable for 6 hours today, though.

Those suckers are shooting straight up, that's for sure. Will they need any support once the buds start to fatten? Is CO2 a bitch to get down? I almost went with a 1000w SF light, just in case I ever went that direction. We get pretty decent bonuses, so an upgrade is always just a Christmas away. I'm pretty sure I read on the Farm that you run dry nutes. Am I right? If so, is that another steep learning curve? Is it worth me looking into for when I run out of my trio?
Support - no. That started in veg and finished with the stretch. Only reason for external support is if you are training the plant or don't give it what it needs, or have bad genetics. Supports just get in the way if you can avoid them.

CO2 is not a bitch at all. It's just a gas pedal. You use that when everything else is maximized to add another 20%.

Same with PPFD. Plants must be healthy from seed to harvest to be able to use either appropriately.

I am running a weird combo this round. I have both GH and Jacks in the res at the moment. After I run out of GH I am switching to Jacks. But I still prep it and use it the same way as GH.
No, done the way I do it the bottle is different but they become liquid nutes so only learning curve is the one you are already in - what do I feed my plants and why?

You will have many grows out of that trio. I'd say let's just nail that and in a couple years you can decide to switch to powder if you want to then.

We currently go through almost an ounce a week. Depends on the week 🤣. I've spent money on fire buds and I've had my fair share of brown frown brick that dude mentioned earlier. Realistically, they all do the job. I'm mostly a sucker for the flavors. So, if I could pump out max yield with at least decent flavor, I'll be a happy camper.

So figure 3 months to a grow. 4 grows a year.

52 ounces a year

13 ounces per grow is needed.

We can get you there, and unless you pick trash genetics it will be better than your neighbor can buy. This is where things like fulvic come in - quality.

Once you are tuned up, with your existing room I see no reason why you cannot hit a pound a grow. As you get better more. Even double. If we re-engineer your room for efficiency, even more than that.

Good idea.

Not to continue this hijacking of this thread, but... [I'm continuing the hijacking of this thread].

If you wanted to do an organic grow side-by-side with other methods, you can just buy a complete, "just add water" organic soil. Roots Lush is one of them, if it's available in your area. You will have to supplement after about 4 weeks. Roots has a good line of nutrients, but they've got a zillion bottles of stuff that could become unnecessarily expensive. Because of that, I'd recommend Canna's line of organic nutrients. Add cal/mag or epsom salts, as needed.

As is widely known, yield will suck compared with what you're used to.

There is a now-out-of-business breeder I used to follow, who called himself E$kobar, who bred plants for interesting scents and flavors. Some of his stuff was just exquisite, from a scent standpoint. Anyway, he was a dedicated hydro grower, which leads me to believe that if there were a significant difference, he'd have been growing organic. But the proof would be a side-by-side.

Thanks for your vote of confidence! 🥰 Much appreciated!
I Have been growing for the past 37 years. From flat out on the ground with copters nearby and ticks crawling up my legs, to hydro, coco, and soil. I have done it all, well most of it, never grew in a fish tank and am not likely to.
The more I learned, my goals and ideas changed as well.
I wanted smooth, clean chemical free product that stopped one just short of an acid trip 🤪 I knew good weed and I wanted to grow it! I also wanted to grow a lot of it! I have a great passion for those battling cancer. It has to be clean medicines.
So to present, I’m an indoor soil grower, organic, and a scrogger of it all. I’m also a tightwad that can tell you to the penny what the grow has cost me. For me, it’s all about quality quantity and real estate usage.
I am prepping to do something I have wanted to do for a long time. A one plant five x five scrog grow. I’d be happy to do a journal of that grow, proper prepping, topping, fimming and tabling.
It will be about a month though as I’m waiting for the tent to finish up a flowering.
Here’s the lucky candidate, Blackberry Moonrocks. She currently measures 2’ 10” x 2’ 6” on top and stands 2” 9” tall. She’s ready for her second topping, and I’m trying to hold her off as long as I can.
39F864D7-11D8-49B7-8FB4-7B294344A93D.jpeg0B1A2225-4F76-4336-9DE8-B6AE5128B13E.jpeg97C32B25-202B-4FC0-8B03-B9662F55257F.jpeg

Thanks for your vote of confidence! 🥰 Much appreciated!
I Have been growing for the past 37 years. From flat out on the ground with copters nearby and ticks crawling up my legs, to hydro, coco, and soil. I have done it all, well most of it, never grew in a fish tank and am not likely to.
The more I learned, my goals and ideas changed as well.
I wanted smooth, clean chemical free product that stopped one just short of an acid trip 🤪 I knew good weed and I wanted to grow it! I also wanted to grow a lot of it! I have a great passion for those battling cancer. It has to be clean medicines.
So to present, I’m an indoor soil grower, organic, and a scrogger of it all. I’m also a tightwad that can tell you to the penny what the grow has cost me. For me, it’s all about quality quantity and real estate usage.
I am prepping to do something I have wanted to do for a long time. A one plant five x five scrog grow. I’d be happy to do a journal of that grow, proper prepping, topping, fimming and tabling.
It will be about a month though as I’m waiting for the tent to finish up a flowering.
Here’s the lucky candidate, Blackberry Moonrocks. She currently measures 2’ 10” x 2’ 6” on top and stands 2” 9” tall. She’s ready for her second topping, and I’m trying to hold her off as long as I can.
View attachment 1148View attachment 1149View attachment 1150
I'm in a 5x5 tent with a 14 gallon tote and single plant top. The footprint of my light tapers off after 3 feet so I'm looking for a 3x3 scrog. That gives me a foot around the plant to work.

I loved your ticks up the legs anecdote. 👌

CO2 is not a bitch at all. It's just a gas pedal. You use that when everything else is maximized to add another 20%.

Same with PPFD. Plants must be healthy from seed to harvest to be able to use either appropriately.
I guess I'm just curious as to sealing off everything. Not something I'm wanting to tackle just yet. It sounds like the last step once you've got everything else tuned in, anyway. I see that as being a year or more from now. Right now, I'M JUST STOKED TO SEE A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN.

A decent PAR meter is something I've looked at and probably won't get one this round. For now, I'm going with the SF recommendations for % and I'll adjust the height as I (or we) find necessary.

I was on the fence with some of those additives of mine already, so I'm excited to have some encouragement towards keeping it simple for now. Keep it simple stupid.

Back
Top Bottom