Bud Builders - Making Friends, Growing Cannabis

Register a free account today to become a Bud Builders member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on our site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox.

Join the fun and make some friends!

Grump's Cherry Pie Grow 🌱

GrumpAzz

Wingin' it
Staff member
Chicken Joe
Joined
Apr 16, 2023
Messages
4,404
Reaction score
20,011
Hey buds.
I'm back with another episode of Grump's Grows. Fresh off a moldy rotten defeat, we've returned to the ring with a new contender. Cherry Pie. One that snagged a spot on my favorites list many years ago. Good funk.

I threw 4 of these dudes in the system on September 26th. They were all topped and their roots all trimmed.
20260926_172128.jpg
...and here they are today, looking fine as pie.
20261008_120752.jpg20261008_120820.jpg20261008_120843.jpg20261008_120849.jpg
The little runt you see is a week behind the rest. I had one fail because my bubblers weren't working with a damn and it didn't receive enough spray from the waterflow. They worked fine up until I shut them off and did a full res change... must've clogged in the process.

I've added some airflow and once again customized my tent.
20261008_140028.jpg
The two fans are angled away from each other and, as shown below, I was able to save all my headroom by zipping the top of the tent up to my floor joists. Bing bang boom.
20261008_141746.jpg

They've been getting next to nothing for light until today. I'm blasting them now with nearly 20 DLI @ ~450ppfd.
They're getting Athena's Blended mix, sitting around 6.0pH @ 1.28EC.
The tent fluctuates between 78-82 degrees @ 60% RH with the lights on. Lights off sees lower temps around 72.

I've got a few trellis nets that will be implemented this round. They will absolutely solve my droopy cola condition, and I'm hoping to train them a little better to avoid any overcrowding and humid hotspots.

Thaks for stopping in and wish me luck ✌️ & 💚
 
looks like we both started journals at the same time!!! who knows maybe even flower might line up again!! i have more training but i started a few weeks earlier... i assume after your last few grows that you may flip these smaller than you ever have before?

i saw athena had some good sales on their stuff during the last prime sales.. i didn't buy any all, i still have at least another grow worth of GH to use up.. i did jump on a $7 sale of mr fulvic though!!

is this cherry pie from the Captain?
 
Time to rock and roll and on another adventure!!!
Best of luck man and good job getting into that airflow upgrade! A good ceiling fan is one of my aces up the sleeve.
The cola size you're pulling, you may also want to consider wall mount or pole mount fans in all four corners blowing a crossfire of air 24/7 thru the tops when the time comes.
That's pretty much what saves my crop every grow otherwise I get the rot on my fatties too.
 
is this cherry pie from the Captain?
Yes I believe it is. They're mama was short and compact, even in the dimmly lit mother tent. I'm hoping for a banger.

The cola size you're pulling, you may also want to consider wall mount or pole mount fans in all four corners blowing a crossfire of air 24/7 thru the tops when the time comes.
That's my plan. Either that, or one underneath each plant blowing up, trying to blow the humidity up and out. Thoughts on blowing from below? I assumed it'll help get a bit more CO2 up to the colas also.

That's pretty much what saves my crop every grow otherwise I get the rot on my fatties too.
Do you still harvest and smoke what doesn't rot? We did and it smokes just fine, considering they were all the nugs that sagged their colas below the canopy. Not quite larf, but not top-notch. Tastes great and gets us blastes, just not the part of the plants that say the most light and wven pointed the wrong direction (down) for a couple weeks.
 
Yes I believe it is. They're mama was short and compact, even in the dimmly lit mother tent. I'm hoping for a banger.


That's my plan. Either that, or one underneath each plant blowing up, trying to blow the humidity up and out. Thoughts on blowing from below? I assumed it'll help get a bit more CO2 up to the colas also.


Do you still harvest and smoke what doesn't rot? We did and it smokes just fine, considering they were all the nugs that sagged their colas below the canopy. Not quite larf, but not top-notch. Tastes great and gets us blastes, just not the part of the plants that say the most light and wven pointed the wrong direction (down) for a couple weeks.

mine were on the shorter side as well, shortest of all them that round. great freakin smoke though man!!! i don't have any left at all if thats saying something!
 
Yes I believe it is. They're mama was short and compact, even in the dimmly lit mother tent. I'm hoping for a banger.


That's my plan. Either that, or one underneath each plant blowing up, trying to blow the humidity up and out. Thoughts on blowing from below? I assumed it'll help get a bit more CO2 up to the colas also.


Do you still harvest and smoke what doesn't rot? We did and it smokes just fine, considering they were all the nugs that sagged their colas below the canopy. Not quite larf, but not top-notch. Tastes great and gets us blastes, just not the part of the plants that say the most light and wven pointed the wrong direction (down) for a couple weeks.

Warm and dry air certainly helps a ton.
Rot happens from within the cola so it's not environmental or coming from someplace else. There's water in there getting trapped in the density and when it gets trapped and stagnant, begins to rot.
The air around the tops should be warm and moved often if not 24/7 and be exhausted in less than 5 minutes so you have a very rapid wash and exchange of warm air happening around those tops.
As the outside of the tops stay super dry from all that warm air, it will pull that moisture out from inside the cola and dry it out so it won't rot.
If the room gets cool at lights out and the fans turn off...that's a problem and is creating conditions for rot.
Don't let the room cool down until the week of harvest and keep air moving in and out 24/7. Conditions around 80-85 and if you got colas pushing 3 fingers fat and bigger, the lower the RH the better. When I have head size colas I welcome 30% RH with open arms and hugs.
This is also a stage where I totally ignore VPD because it's about saving a crop and finishing more than it is making leaves happy at that point. If you let VPD control your grow at that stage, it will allow rot conditions to take hold.

Yeah rot is usually isolated at a single node for mild infections so everything above and below it can be saved. Powdery mildew is the one where I'd trash a whole plant if I got it.
You can also scope your buds with a blacklight and while bud rot won't glow like fuzzy mold, it does stand out from the rest of the bud looking like a black cancer under blacklight. Cut a bit into the green beyond the cancer to remove it and everything left should be fine but also check every node of that cola to be certain.

During the grow you can also check for it and there's signs too.
If you see premature yellowing or a leaf that looks cut from water and food growing out of a cola, that's rot inside cutting that leave stem and killing it. Watch yellowing leaves on colas very closely and sometimes pry it open a little to check and also let it breathe.

When colas get to one-two fingers wide go ahead and start yoyos or trellis support not really for the weight yet but preparing for the air blowing them over later so your trellis system with monster is part cola support and part seatbelts to keep them all strapped in for the maelstrom of wind needed to keep them dry
 
Back
Top Bottom