Newb here, would this be possible/super inconvenient?

Skinnypuppy80

Dope Dynamo
Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for advance for any replies, whether or not it's something I wanna hear lol. Never have grown but want to start. Thinking of a 5x5 tent w 4 13gal site PA follponics. Here's where it gets questionable... in my room that I sleep in hehe. It's a 125x200" space minus a 45x50" closet. Would vent the tent out a window w inline. Fall here now and won't see temps higher than like 55° outside till June. Would I still need or dare use a chiller? Will the room get hot and humidity even w it being vented out a window? Would get a mammoth mint 8 led. Dunno if the pumps and a chiller if I need Would be crazy loud either... Thanks for reading!!

Hello all and thanks for advance for any replies, whether or not it's something I wanna hear lol. Never have grown but want to start. Thinking of a 5x5 tent w 4 13gal site PA follponics. Here's where it gets questionable... in my room that I sleep in hehe. It's a 125x200" space minus a 45x50" closet. Would vent the tent out a window w inline. Fall here now and won't see temps higher than like 55° outside till June. Would I still need or dare use a chiller? Will the room get hot and humidity even w it being vented out a window? Would get a mammoth mint 8 led. Dunno if the pumps and a chiller if I need Would be crazy loud either... Thanks for reading!!
Welcome @Skinnypuppy80 ! We’ve a lot of folks in here that can answer your questions, sometimes it just takes a bit of patience. I’m the resident soil/organic grower so not much help to you on your method.
I’d like to invite you to stop in at CannaGrannys corner. We just congregate there and shoot the general BS. Lots of great folks!

Hey Buddy!

Glad you made it over. As was mentioned, look up these members as they are the resident pros when it comes to hydro. There are many more on here that are also very good but don't really chime in much unless there is a specific question in regards to hydro.

I'm in Autopots with a res that sits outside of my tent I do a have a chiller but its set at 69f, as long as you don't get into the mid to high 70's you should be good, You'll want to agitate your res once an hour for 5 min, small pump or wave maker and no airstone in the res. as long as you vent your heat and keep your room 70f ish you're good

Welcome

Chiller is something for the future imo. There are a number of reasons for that. I can elaborate when I have a keyboard.

Venting to the outside will put a strain on your hvac system. Make up air gas to come from somewhere outside. Cracks iaround doors etc.

The noise of the pump should be insignificant. Rule of thumb is 10x turns per hour. So 13 x 4 x10 = 520 gph pump. But you will not be filling these to the top so 400gph or a variable speed is all you need. Should be near silent.

Splashing will be heard more in a fallponics sysyem.

Air pump needs to be diaphragm type to keep noise down.

Tell us more about your room hvac and climate and we can help you build what works from the start.

Hey man, welcome!

Us hydro guys can be hard to reach sometimes. We stay pretty busy. That might be why we went hydro and automated everything. It's a deep dive at first, but it's easy peasy once you dial it in. We'll try to help whenever we can.

Fallponics?

Looks like a normal dwc system.

Thank you all!! So it shouldn't be a big deal set up in my bedroom then if setup correctly?!

@moe.red My apartment just has regular heat with 1-2? floor vents and use a window ac in summer when it gets low-mid 80's on the hot days. Keep inside temp around 70. Not sure about humidity inside, don't have to use humidifier/dehumidifer, could maybe b a little dry? Outside climate? In northern mn so from June till about now, 60s to maybe 90 at the peak of summer. Not sure of the humidity, everyone seems to say it's fairly humid, 40% atm. Winter gets as low as -50-60. Lmk whatever else u need to know!! I really appreciate any and all help!! Thank you for ur time!!

The fallponics set comes w an inline 400gph pump and the air is an aqua active that uses a diaphragm.

Thank you all!! So it shouldn't be a big deal set up in my bedroom then if setup correctly?!

@moe.red My apartment just has regular heat with 1-2? floor vents and use a window ac in summer when it gets low-mid 80's on the hot days. Keep inside temp around 70. Not sure about humidity inside, don't have to use humidifier/dehumidifer, could maybe b a little dry? Outside climate? In northern mn so from June till about now, 60s to maybe 90 at the peak of summer. Not sure of the humidity, everyone seems to say it's fairly humid, 40% atm. Winter gets as low as -50-60. Lmk whatever else u need to know!! I really appreciate any and all help!! Thank you for ur time!!

The fallponics set comes w an inline 400gph pump and the air is an aqua active that uses a diaphragm.
It is not central air, I think that's what u were asking about

Welcome

Chiller is something for the future imo. There are a number of reasons for that. I can elaborate when I have a keyboard.

Venting to the outside will put a strain on your hvac system. Make up air gas to come from somewhere outside. Cracks iaround doors etc.

The noise of the pump should be insignificant. Rule of thumb is 10x turns per hour. So 13 x 4 x10 = 520 gph pump. But you will not be filling these to the top so 400gph or a variable speed is all you need. Should be near silent.

Splashing will be heard more in a fallponics sysyem.

Air pump needs to be diaphragm type to keep noise down.

Tell us more about your room hvac and climate and we can help you build what works from the start.
I think u meant just the room climate lol, I'll grab a hygrometer/thermometer today after work

Welcome @Skinnypuppy80

Heat may or may not be an issue but i think you can get away without a chiller. There are a few things you can do to gain a degree here or there if needed.

Personally i find 70-74f with 72f being ideal. I know a lot of references are 68 or lower but IMO thats outdated information.

@moe.red wasnt SLG using this system ?

Welcome @Skinnypuppy80

Heat may or may not be an issue but i think you can get away without a chiller. There are a few things you can do to gain a degree here or there if needed.

Personally i find 70-74f with 72f being ideal. I know a lot of references are 68 or lower but IMO thats outdated information.

@moe.red wasnt SLG using this system ?
Yes, SLG pretty much duplicated what I had at the time. I did a 4, 6 and 8 site DIY fallponics based on Gary at PA hydro's designs.

@Observer the fallponics is a version of RDWC where the supply is higher than the water level creating a waterfall / splashing for more O2. It does not remove the need for bubbling tho.

OK SkinnyP, if this were me I would want to make this a quiet as possible since it is in your bedroom. Being in an apartment, I think you said 2nd floor, another major concern is leaking. Make sure your air pump is higher than any water in the system to prevent siphoning. The PA system uses quality bulkheads and square plant sites, so overall that will not be a big factor in leaks. 9 times out of 10, it is a mistake by the grower that causes flooding.

If the splashing is too loud, you can put a 90 inside the plant sites to get the supply under the water line. In my testing with DO meter, the fall in the fallponics does not really do much to overall O2 levels by itself. If you have proper bubbling, that is what you really need.

In terms of environment, what you are looking for is a proper VPD for the stage of the plant. VPD is nothing more than a way to design for the proper flow of water and nutes from the roots to the atmosphere via leaves. It takes RH and Temp and makes sure the ratio is right.

1729166261279.png

Given your situation, you will pretty much be controlling both RH and Temp via the exhaust blower. This will be a compromise you will have to work with the lung room (your bedroom) temp and RH mixing with the growspace and adjust things for the best you can do. You probably will not need any heat because the lights supply that, but RH can be a real issue. Especially on fast growing plants in hydro. Chances are when the plants get bigger, like towards the end of veg your RH will be your limiting factor, and your blower will be working to get rid of water in the air more than adjusting temp.

That calculator will help you to see what needs to be happening for best results.

RH will often peak once lights go out. Temps drop, making RH surge. This, if not handled properly, can cause mold. Especially in flower.

Because you are in a northern cold/dry climate, as you push the warm moist air out of the tent and out of your apartment, new air from outside will find it's way into your house via every crack in doors, windows, etc. If it is cold out, this means your furnace will kick on, making your apartment air even more dry. This can be a big help in controlling RH in the tent.

My biggest suggestion for you would be to put up the tent, and start 1 plant in soil or coco just to get an idea of how everything works and measures out in your environment. Once we have some real world measurements we can tune the setup to be able to properly handle the loads from a fast growing RDWC system. The plants will grow faster / bigger in RDWC, but that comes at the cost of need for additional environmental controls. For example, before I added a chiller, I would spend that money on a dehumidifier most likely.

My biggest suggestion for you would be to put up the tent, and start 1 plant in soil or coco just to get an idea of how everything works and measures out in your environment. Once we have some real world measurements we can tune the setup to be able to properly handle the loads from a fast growing RDWC system. The plants will grow faster / bigger in RDWC, but that comes at the cost of need for additional environmental controls. For example, before I added a chiller, I would spend that money on a dehumidifier most likely.

Are you recommending that he put up his 5 x 5 and plant one plant in soil/coco to get an idea of what lights on/off temp and humidity are and convert that to what you know an RDWC system will do in that same environment?

Are you recommending that he put up his 5 x 5 and plant one plant in soil/coco to get an idea of what lights on/off temp and humidity are and convert that to what you know an RDWC system will do in that same environment?
pretty much.

Basically, get the tent set up. Put the lights in it. Put them on full blast, see how hot it gets. See what happens when the blower starts exhausting to the outdoors. Make sure we don't start blowing breakers. See what the noise level is. Is it tolerable? Is the added heat tolerable? Light leaks keeping him up, etc.

I would just start with the basics and work up, taking measurements along the way. See if the neighbors complain about a single smelly plant. It will only get worse with 4 plants and an RDWC.

Most bedrooms have 15A service, and often share that with all the outlets, sometimes the ceiling lights, sometimes the room next to it. If you are going to fail for power with soil, again it only gets worse with hydro. Start adding chillers and dehuys etc - ultimately it might not work in his apartment. Better to know that at the start than after all the gear is bought and installed IMO.

Nothing wrong with a 2x4 growspace and 2 plants if 4 is a problem. Nothing wrong with soil if hydro in a 2nd floor apt is too risky. Not knowing SkinnyP, hard for me to say. So I'm approaching with caution and if there is a failure, fail small and early. Find what WILL work given his constraints.

pretty much.

Basically, get the tent set up. Put the lights in it. Put them on full blast, see how hot it gets. See what happens when the blower starts exhausting to the outdoors. Make sure we don't start blowing breakers. See what the noise level is. Is it tolerable? Is the added heat tolerable? Light leaks keeping him up, etc.

I would just start with the basics and work up, taking measurements along the way. See if the neighbors complain about a single smelly plant. It will only get worse with 4 plants and an RDWC.

Most bedrooms have 15A service, and often share that with all the outlets, sometimes the ceiling lights, sometimes the room next to it. If you are going to fail for power with soil, again it only gets worse with hydro. Start adding chillers and dehuys etc - ultimately it might not work in his apartment. Better to know that at the start than after all the gear is bought and installed IMO.

Nothing wrong with a 2x4 growspace and 2 plants if 4 is a problem. Nothing wrong with soil if hydro in a 2nd floor apt is too risky. Not knowing SkinnyP, hard for me to say. So I'm approaching with caution and if there is a failure, fail small and early. Find what WILL work given his constraints.
Hey, good advice, and extension cords strung around to accommodate the electrical needs is a disaster in waiting. start small & work up, a 2x2x6 with an SF1000, 100w light with a small exhaust in small intake would work without too much heat added, might need to add heat to get plants up to 78f

pretty much.

I use this size for mother plants https://www.amazon.com/TopoGrow-D-Door-Reflective-Plastic-Corners/dp/B075PS9M8Y/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2DLA7C9DXKFJ5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OAGFqJC3huCkG1suPONxcdH3hGJywXtYzJAC77qhqX8nPNAt8Oq3ENwND66zcVKdIqISh5iY8k0NC1sWUfd6RVZlaa8h4dhZhK1_aRNbY701OUkhfSKg3_jZLLlMfhQ7cDnaLlDeIfX1xYzTzY31zztkcgj8KtcySbhxKC2hAty5HKvZKXFss1-JrOmobUPUb3Rgedb2xdP8mLj8UIcRAmyNw6Uo8iGUlJuvMXCF7_2yZPFTQu6-22zaYhMibilvRPs2Ol50ctyqjKNKTIOqKSbDjggS8Qkw4UQf44r-QkQ.C90PWAgYakOKevgzihFz1r63--Sgvo27OSHNkO0opj0&dib_tag=se&keywords=32+x+60+x+80+grow+tent&qid=1729199420&sprefix=32+x+60+x+80+grow+tent,aps,102&sr=8-10&th=1

I think its quite an upgrade over a 2 x 4 for not really that much more money. You can fit up to 4 plants in it comfortably. More if you keep them small or intend to grow out clones ... As for hydro, I'm a soil grower so I don't have much to add other than it's ideal to have a drain close enough by for easy use. There will be times when you'll want to replace the water in the system.

You're in good hands with @moe.red, @Aqua Man and others here.

Welcome to Bud Builders!

I use this size for mother plants https://www.amazon.com/TopoGrow-D-Door-Reflective-Plastic-Corners/dp/B075PS9M8Y/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2DLA7C9DXKFJ5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OAGFqJC3huCkG1suPONxcdH3hGJywXtYzJAC77qhqX8nPNAt8Oq3ENwND66zcVKdIqISh5iY8k0NC1sWUfd6RVZlaa8h4dhZhK1_aRNbY701OUkhfSKg3_jZLLlMfhQ7cDnaLlDeIfX1xYzTzY31zztkcgj8KtcySbhxKC2hAty5HKvZKXFss1-JrOmobUPUb3Rgedb2xdP8mLj8UIcRAmyNw6Uo8iGUlJuvMXCF7_2yZPFTQu6-22zaYhMibilvRPs2Ol50ctyqjKNKTIOqKSbDjggS8Qkw4UQf44r-QkQ.C90PWAgYakOKevgzihFz1r63--Sgvo27OSHNkO0opj0&dib_tag=se&keywords=32+x+60+x+80+grow+tent&qid=1729199420&sprefix=32+x+60+x+80+grow+tent,aps,102&sr=8-10&th=1

I think its quite an upgrade over a 2 x 4 for not really that much more money. You can fit up to 4 plants in it comfortably. More if you keep them small or intend to grow out clones ... As for hydro, I'm a soil grower so I don't have much to add other than it's ideal to have a drain close enough by for easy use. There will be times when you'll want to replace the water in the system.

You're in good hands with @moe.red, @Aqua Man and others here.

Welcome to Bud Builders!
I have one that size that I found in one of my storage units. I think it's ideal for a 3 plant grow. 4 might get a bit crowded.

I have one that size that I found in one of my storage units. I think it's ideal for a 3 plant grow. 4 might get a bit crowded.
I had 4 mother plants in mine before I moved them to the flower tent. They did fine, although we're talking about smaller plants in soil. 36"-40" tall including fabric pots. It would be tight running 4 all the way through to harvest. They're in the 5 x 5 now for flowering.

However with that said, last winter I ran 12 in a 5 x 5 without issue. Airflow and environmental controls, size of the plants and pruning all help make it happen. It's tight. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can approach the tent on at least 3 sides. But yes, that's probably twice as many plants in that space as most people would be comfortable with. Especially if getting to all the plants for their care is difficult.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic. He's going to be in hydro. I grow in soil. There's a lot of differences so its like comparing apples to oranges.

This jungle was responsible for 10 gals a day thru the dehumidifier at peak

1729208037765.jpeg

Different grow. New lighting that’s spectrum adjustable call raging kush

1729208200181.jpeg

That canopy resulted in about 4 pounds.

This is from a different setup with 9 grow sites. This is all in 4x8s.

1729208394237.jpeg
So those are smaller plants.

Res

1729208572929.jpeg

This is all in a basement. Midwest USA
Been tweaking systems for about a decade now.

I started with autopots in coco. @Pipecarver is our resident specialist on that. But it would be a great compromise to start with an autopot or 2. Half way to full RDWC without all the cost plumbing etc. they run on gravity. But the skills like water chemistry are transferable to RDWC.

You could get your tent fully running in a weekend with autopots. Easy to take down too.

This jungle was responsible for 10 gals a day thru the dehumidifier at peak

View attachment 76384

Different grow. New lighting that’s spectrum adjustable call raging kush

View attachment 76385

That canopy resulted in about 4 pounds.

This is from a different setup with 9 grow sites. This is all in 4x8s.

View attachment 76386
So those are smaller plants.

Res

View attachment 76387

This is all in a basement. Midwest USA
Been tweaking systems for about a decade now.

I started with autopots in coco. @Pipecarver is our resident specialist on that. But it would be a great compromise to start with an autopot or 2. Half way to full RDWC without all the cost plumbing etc. they run on gravity. But the skills like water chemistry are transferable to RDWC.

You could get your tent fully running in a weekend with autopots. Easy to take down too.
And the only thing im growing right now is OLD. I think i am perfecting it though. Have to grunt when i put socks on now.

And the only thing im growing right now is OLD. I think i am perfecting it though. Have to grunt when i put socks on now.
Last pic I saw of you looked like you chewed nails before you head out to change the tire on the truck without a jack.

Quitcher lying young man. Or is fibbing a side effect of all the steroids? You snorting PGRs?

Last pic I saw of you looked like you chewed nails before you head out to change the tire on the truck without a jack.

Quitcher lying young man. Or is fibbing a side effect of all the steroids? You snorting PGRs?
Man these last couple years are catching up. All my injuries are coming back to haunt the living fuck out of me. Time to start getting all those surgeries i have been putting off.

Back
Top Bottom