Another reason i like soil🤣🤣
I can be kinda lazy and skip a day here and there
well, so can i but the plants don't tolerate it as much lol

figure it's a good opportunity to document my res changeout process in detail too. not that i really change out the res since i run drain to waste. some day i'll get a fancy uvc sterilizater like @Dirtbag has and recirculate the runoff. for now, the rhododendrons like the food.

well, so can i but the plants don't tolerate it as much lol

figure it's a good opportunity to document my res changeout process in detail too. not that i really change out the res since i run drain to waste. some day i'll get a fancy uvc sterilizater like @Dirtbag has and recirculate the runoff. for now, the rhododendrons like the food.
That UV filtration is exactly what I wanted to do too

That was pretty neat.

Ahhh two sides to that though. Once a hydro system is setup and automated, you can check in on it a couple times a week and a new res is a quick refill.
THIS.

Right now is the kinda shitty period because i don't want the res sitting there waiting and not being ran. waste of h2o2. once the slabs are rooted and i get the plumbing permanently installed, that's basically what i do throughout veg. Check the res daily, and the plants every couple days. only reason i check the res is to make sure there's solution in it. otherwise, it's autopilot.

then, four weeks between flip and final defol is a lot of tinkering, then it's back to autopilot for sixish weeks.

this is why i love hydro. i have a dream of a set up where i put clones in one end of a room, come back 15 weeks later, and harvest from the other. never having touch or seen the plants in the interim. full automation, man....

think a dominos pizza oven, but for cannabis.

Ahhh two sides to that though. Once a hydro system is setup and automated, you can check in on it a couple times a week and a new res is a quick refill.
I grew in soiless peat mixes and soil for a long time before attempting hydro, and the first thing I discovered is that rockwool is actually way easier than soil. Easier to plant and manage irrigation, and it grows so, so much faster. It's both easier and better.
I truely wish I hadn't been intimidated by it for so long.

I grew in soiless peat mixes and soil for a long time before attempting hydro, and the first thing I discovered is that rockwool is actually way easier than soil. Easier to plant and manage irrigation, and it grows so, so much faster. It's both easier and better.
I truely wish I hadn't been intimidated by it for so long.
honestly, after running so many different hydro systems, i think that mentality holds overall. i think it's a cultural thing of "start in dirt, you can't fuck it up."

i've fucked up more dirt grows than i can count but i've always harvested something usable in hydro. my biggest fuckups in hydro have been timer cough*user*cough issues and overgrowing my space. just saying.

honestly, after running so many different hydro systems, i think that mentality holds overall. i think it's a cultural thing of "start in dirt, you can't fuck it up."

i've fucked up more dirt grows than i can count but i've always harvested something usable in hydro. my biggest fuckups in hydro have been timer cough*user*cough issues and overgrowing my space. just saying.
On my first dwc attempt.

Straight to the light in a month or so.

I get bored with something real quick if it's too easy.

Literally could not flower her as other unrelated shit happened in life, but looking forward to trying it again all the way.

3gal bucket

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_073559.jpg
    IMG_20230905_073559.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 3

100 fucking percent. Dirt is way more difficult to dial in. Hydro is a set it and forget it, and walk away with a bounty. Way harder to fuck up imho.

This manual
THIS.

Right now is the kinda shitty period because i don't want the res sitting there waiting and not being ran. waste of h2o2. once the slabs are rooted and i get the plumbing permanently installed, that's basically what i do throughout veg. Check the res daily, and the plants every couple days. only reason i check the res is to make sure there's solution in it. otherwise, it's autopilot.

then, four weeks between flip and final defol is a lot of tinkering, then it's back to autopilot for sixish weeks.

this is why i love hydro. i have a dream of a set up where i put clones in one end of a room, come back 15 weeks later, and harvest from the other. never having touch or seen the plants in the interim. full automation, man....

think a dominos pizza oven, but for cannabis.
This manual high frequency fert is fuckin tim consuming let alone in solos lol.

I'ma try to upgrade my shit soon some drippers/rez Atleast

This manual

A submersible pump with a ball valve, on a timer with at least 1 min increments, plumbed out to naked lines is all you need for a small setup. Need some way to catch runoff too. Super cheap and easy.

This manual

NO SHIT! haha why do you think we all have this complicated looking plumbing? doing this shit manually is no bueno man. without a small pump at very least, it's hard on the body and schedule. the risk is way higher for a fuck up too.

for real. i think my entire plumbing system (way overbuilt for the scale) was less than $100 total. the pump was the most expensive part at like $50 because the shop i bought it from was 30% more expensive than anywhere else simply because it was conveniently located.

NO SHIT! haha why do you think we all have this complicated looking plumbing? doing this shit manually is no bueno man. without a small pump at very least, it's hard on the body and schedule. the risk is way higher for a fuck up too.
Well I didn't think I'd even do it right or get that kind of growth but I've learned it quickly and ready for the next challenge

I understand the parameters and nutrients way more now, a better grasp on how much water the plants actually want/use and reading them,etc.

I'm sure I'll fuck up the res mixing and probably just grow bacteria but I'll see how you do it

fuckers. i'm mixing the res now and you distracted me. taking some pictures along the way, so it'll be kinda foolproof. be back after part A is in and mixin

fuckers. i'm mixing the res now and you distracted me. taking some pictures along the way, so it'll be kinda foolproof. be back after part A is in and mixin
Sweet

I keep having to go back and fourth making sure she's not running into shit.

Trying to get this place in fuckin order but gotta clean it too! With no cleaning shit. Lmao

Fuckers

A submersible pump with a ball valve, on a timer with at least 1 min increments, plumbed out to naked lines is all you need for a small setup. Need some way to catch runoff too. Super cheap and easy.
I'll get on it should have some extra money soon.

Thanks y'all

Learned a great deal from y'all here

On my first dwc attempt.

Straight to the light in a month or so.

I get bored with something real quick if it's too easy.

Literally could not flower her as other unrelated shit happened in life, but looking forward to trying it again all the way.

3gal bucket
dunno how i missed this. i have a couple very old threads on the farm that ended similarly. my last "large" grow in college ended the same way, too. had 25 plants in 1 gallon pots in coco in a 10x10 room and had to shut down because of life shit. moving 5ft monsters 14 days into flower to a buddies house was an adventure lol i'm still amazed i haven't ever ended up in prison :ROFLMAO:

alright. part B is in and mixing so i'll lay this shit out.

first step, fill er up. black marks are at nine gallons give or take an ounce or two.
PXL_20230906_031012642.jpg
yes, i need to clean a bit. i'll get to it this weekend.

next, weight out the good good.
PXL_20230906_035602666.jpg
part a @ 35.4g for nine gallons.
PXL_20230906_035728430.MP.jpg
part b @ 26g

while weighing, i added 40ml protekt (potassium silicate to the res) and turned on the mixing pump. let mix for 15 minutes then added 15ml gh pH down to get the pH down to 6.5

using water from the res, add to the dry salts in the mixing glasses, throw in a magnetic stir bar into each glass, and put on the magnetic stirrer.
PXL_20230906_035935416.jpg
let this shit run for 5ish minutes.

pour it in. part A was added, and mixed for 10ish minutes
PXL_20230906_043703033.jpg
adding part B
PXL_20230906_043735271.jpg
threw in the pH pen to let it get acclimated to the temp while I let part B mix
PXL_20230906_043856663.jpg

once part B mixes for ~10 minutes, i'll go check pH, and bring down to 5.5. once that settles out for 15 minutes or so, i'll add 45ml h2o2 and fertigation the slabs. I plan on running this full res through the plants tonight in one shot, then will let them dry up for another few days again.

that's mixing a res in the troll cave gents.

Last edited:
this weekend, i'll take the res out and sanitize and pressure wash it again. want to make sure it's as clean as possible before i go into autopilot mode. for now, i'm ok with the slop, but it's like any other production. before showtime, things get messy. when it comes time to execute, everything is in order. calm before the storm, per se.

Everyone's the grump right now for a couple reasons. One is, it's cold. 72F makes em unhappy. Second, this is the first fertigation they've had in four days. Not dry by any means but dry in rockwool isn't the same as dry in any other media. It'll take about 15 minutes to run the res through the media. i have the drain pump running, recovery bucket is next to the res, that's what the black tubing is fed from. makes it way easier than fishing out the container from under the platform. just a little 125gph pump in there.

the reason i'm running a full res through is it's been four days. i want to reset the media to proper parameters. Fresh EC, fresh WC, proper pH.

PXL_20230906_052642687.jpgPXL_20230906_052011408.jpgPXL_20230906_052754305.jpg

alright. part B is in and mixing so i'll lay this shit out.

first step, fill er up. black marks are at nine gallons give or take an ounce or two.
View attachment 20238
yes, i need to clean a bit. i'll get to it this weekend.

next, weight out the good good.
View attachment 20237
part a @ 35.4g for nine gallons.
View attachment 20235
part b @ 26g

while weighing, i added 40ml protekt (potassium silicate to the res) and turned on the mixing pump. let mix for 15 minutes then added 15ml gh pH down to get the pH down to 6.5

using water from the res, add to the dry salts in the mixing glasses, throw in a magnetic stir bar into each glass, and put on the magnetic stirrer.
View attachment 20234
let this shit run for 5ish minutes.

pour it in. part A was added, and mixed for 10ish minutes
View attachment 20233
adding part B
View attachment 20232
threw in the pH pen to let it get acclimated to the temp while I let part B mix
View attachment 20231

once part B mixes for ~10 minutes, i'll go check pH, and bring down to 5.5. once that settles out for 15 minutes or so, i'll add 45ml h2o2 and fertigation the slabs. I plan on running this full res through the plants tonight in one shot, then will let them dry up for another few days again.

that's mixing a res in the troll cave gents.
Thanks man

Are you using a chiller or the whole point of that igloo box is sufficient enough or is that mainly for dwc. (?)

Don't think I see one unless behind it

Gonna get me some of them mag stirs.

Alright strip is done

Part of why they are so stretched this round, issues at the last place with ac not working, them assholes not fixing it -not running lights then

And electricity was off for a week so they just got balcony light and stretched

Not to mention, they went into flower and back out, now on way back in, lmao.

Attachments

• VID_20230906_005608472.mp4
    8.4 MB
  • VID_20230906_005744943.mp4
    30.6 MB
no chiller. given i run dtw, and use h2o2, i don't feel a need. the igloo just hold the temps more stable vs a rubbermaid that is much more susceptible to temp swings.

since the move my biggest problem is getting RH down and heat up, which is partially opposite from the last house where heat was the battle almost constantly and RH for most of the time. when i was doing the dutch bucket setup with a rubbermaid tote res, temps were all over the place in the res. with the igloo, by the time it drains fully, i'll typically see a rise of maybe 4f from ~65f out of the faucet to maybe 70f. tbh, i don't give a shit what temp it is. h2o2 provides enough DO and keeps the baddies away so it's moreso a known water tight container at this point.

Alright strip is done
Part of why they are so stretched this round, issues at the last place with ac not working, them assholes not fixing it -not running lights then

And electricity was off for a week so they just got balcony light and stretched.
you're gonna want some kind of support for those once they put on weight. those stems aren't going to support the weight of the buds. whatchu thinking to deal with that?

you're gonna want some kind of support for those once they put on weight. those stems aren't going to support the weight of the buds. whatchu thinking to deal with that?
Damn if it does come to that that'd be cool.

Pretty sure this is my first attempt at high-freq AND stripping them for flower time.

I have this I could rig to the side clothes hanger poles and or led/cables I suppose

Dont want to get fibres all over em but ...

Attachments

• 16939801555766361498403142844972.jpg
    16939801555766361498403142844972.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom