Let's see your outdoor grow 2023

It's been a few days ...

My wife harvested the smallest of the autoflowers today. It was ready. It didn't give us a lot. My wife took pictures so I'll have to get them from her ... but here's the latest shot from the camera in the greenhouse.

Screenshot_2023.06.06_19.07.41.622.jpg

Here iis my Colombian Jack. First time growing outdoors. 30 Gallon pots. Terrified of bud rot

View attachment 5575

Nice looking plant. What part of the country are you in? Bud rot tends to be a fall thing starting after Labor Day in Michigan. We're zone 5 here which is kind of a short summer.

As long as your plants are still in vegetative growth, you can use a product along the lines of "Southern Ag's Garden Friendly Fungicide." You would use it as a part of your preventative maintenance. You would want to establish a healthy colony of "garden friendly microbes" that feast on plant fungus.

You may also need a cheap cordless leaf blower this fall to help dry off the morning dew.

Nice looking plant. What part of the country are you in? Bud rot tends to be a fall thing starting after Labor Day in Michigan. We're zone 5 here which is kind of a short summer.

As long as your plants are still in vegetative growth, you can use a product along the lines of "Southern Ag's Garden Friendly Fungicide." You would use it as a part of your preventative maintenance. You would want to establish a healthy colony of "garden friendly microbes" that feast on plant fungus.

You may also need a cheap cordless leaf blower this fall to help dry off the morning dew.
Thanks, I am in Coastal VA 8A but the humidity is high. I will check out the Southern AG for the girls, I need to do something for sure.

Well, if it would rain for more than 5 minutes, i wouldnt have to hand water it. But yeah, 5 gallons a rip.
How far a hike is it to your spot? Would you be able to haul an empty 55 gallon drum up there and let the rain fill it so that after a few storms you don't need to be hauling water up there so often?

How far a hike is it to your spot? Would you be able to haul an empty 55 gallon drum up there and let the rain fill it so that after a few storms you don't need to be hauling water up there so often?
About a half mile, and i did that last year, but it never rained. Year before that, all it did was rain. Its been really dry already this year so im not expecting much rain.
There is a pond i get water from up by my spot, but its like 4 feet deep so thats already dry too.
Gotta lug it in by the bucket. Kinda sucks, gotta climb this steep as hill to get there too.
I hate myself thats why i do this.

About a half mile, and i did that last year, but it never rained. Year before that, all it did was rain. Its been really dry already this year so im not expecting much rain.
There is a pond i get water from up by my spot, but its like 4 feet deep so thats already dry too.
Gotta lug it in by the bucket. Kinda sucks, gotta climb this steep as hill to get there too.
I hate myself thats why i do this.
How far is the pond from your site? Any way you can run a drip line from the pond to the site?

The plant in Mother Earth is settled into its spot. It needs to fill up the soil bed with roots, which I believe it’s taking care of now.
The dirt locker used about 2 full bags of a soil mix, I believe it’s about 3 cu feet. The roots are free to explore farther south, but it’s red clay soil. Rich, but it’s taking a while to break down even with copious amounts of gypsum.
I put water ports that I’m hoping will keep my topsoil dry and the roots properly cycled in a flood/drought environment. Right now it’s going about a week between waterings. I’m hoping as it fills the root zone, transpiration will increase and dry out the locker.
The garden has a green watchdog 😜IMG_8837.jpegIMG_8821.jpegIMG_8822.jpegIMG_8820.jpegIMG_8890.jpegIMG_8889.jpegIMG_8888.jpegIMG_8886.jpegIMG_8885.jpegIMG_8883.jpegIMG_8894.jpegIMG_8887.jpeg

Here is the totality of my stupidity. An outdoor experiment of sorts. I actually was going to skip outdoor this year until these clones rooted and gave me the itch. I posted those in my last post.

Here are a bunch of seedlings that got a slight upgrade from a solo cup. I'm going to try to bring them inside whole of possible in a couple weeks, up-pot them to 2 gal bags and flower them immediately to see what kind of bud they produce. May have to try to take clones of each to bring in if pests look to be present. Goal is to keep them small as I can for now.
20230608_142603.jpg

Then this is another experiment I have going on with cuts I took that were in flower...I don't think they'll get too big so I just threw multiple in 10gal bags....4 in 1 bag and 5 in the other bag. I just wanted to see if I could get them to reveg I almost just threw them away.
20230608_142700.jpg

any tips for settings for capturing those low light pics? I've struggled with figuring out the balance between ISO, shutter speed, and white balance

Throw your camera into TV and run it up to 20 or 30 second exposure times to get started and pay attention to what settings it shoots. Those were all shot at ISO 100 and 30 second exposures. Manual Focus. When you get a feel for it you can switch to manual.

I personally also shoot with my histogram further to the left side because I like pulling the shadows out. Blown out photos are no good.

I also do post processing with a few mask layers.

Throw your camera into TV and run it up to 20 or 30 second exposure times to get started and pay attention to what settings it shoots. Those were all shot at ISO 100 and 30 second exposures. Manual Focus. When you get a feel for it you can switch to manual.

I personally also shoot with my histogram further to the left side because I like pulling the shadows out. Blown out photos are no good.

I also do post processing with a few mask layers.
awesome, appreciate the advice! i've been trying to become an amateur photographer for way longer than i'd like to admit and all the adjustments available on my nikon are overwhelming. especially so when trying to figure out the balance between the triad. it's harder than doing audio EQ by a long shot.

awesome, appreciate the advice! i've been trying to become an amateur photographer for way longer than i'd like to admit and all the adjustments available on my nikon are overwhelming. especially so when trying to figure out the balance between the triad. it's harder than doing audio EQ by a long shot.

I shoot architectural photography and videography, so I am fairly well versed in manipulating light. My advice to all who seek to improve is to master post processing; it is where the real magic happens.

I shoot architectural photography and videography, so I am fairly well versed in manipulating light. My advice to all who seek to improve is to master post processing; it is where the real magic happens.
i built my custom PC specifically to run Davinci Resolve but since I run on Linux the damn software won't run 😭 ... yet. I gotta hack on my system some more to figure out how to get the GPU and Resolve to communicate right.

however, i have some pretty extensive experience in photoshop and illustrator, neither of which will run on Linux either so have dove into Inkscape, Blender, and GIMP -- feels totally handicapping but they're the best tools available ya know. you're definitely correct, though. Post-prod is where the real magic happens. Sometimes you can take something good and make it great, but if it starts great you can make it exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom