What's Cookin?

Ribs braised and finished in a crock Pot. SS

Venison tenderloin and basmatti rice with Tonys is whats for lunch today. 20231215_140204.jpg
This is the best eating deer ive eaten, its melt in your mouth friggen tender.

(Yes im eating on my floor, dont judge me) 🤣

Found a nice chuck roast grocery shopping this morning and been a while since I made chili.

Toasted up the dried chilies a bit, then steeped in hot water while I do the other stuff.
20231216_130907.jpg

Browning off 2" cubes of chuck, seasoned well and dusted with flour. Also one chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, and dry spice blend (cumin, oregano, coriander seed, ancho powder, ground black pepper, cayenne)
20231216_132812.jpg

Good sear on all sides, careful not to overcrowd the pot.
20231216_132805.jpg

Dump the onions, garlic and lastly the spices in the fat and get them opened up.
20231216_133451.jpg
Next the drained chilies, cooking off some moisture before going in the blender.
20231216_133547.jpg
In the blender w a splash of cider vinegar, salt, spoon of wild honey and some chicken stock to loosen. Out comes the glorious base for my braise.
20231216_134157.jpg
Meat back in, topped up w stock, in the oven 325 for a few hrs. Will update later.
20231216_134337.jpg

Potatoes, heavy cream and gruyere is one of those things that makes life worth living. We got whacked with a bad storm today, got power back just in time to pull off birthday dinner for my nephew.

Attachments

• 20231218_172549.mp4
    25.1 MB
winter just started but that doesn't mean you can't have BBQ!!!

View attachment 35047

View attachment 35048View attachment 35050

🙃

Dude that looks fantastic but I feel like there's a side story with those two smoke detectors and band aids photo bombing the spread 😋

I took a shot at a dish I've been wanting to do for awhile...Eggs in Purgatory!

IMG_6180.JPG

And sous vide aint just for meats!
Queso!!!!! And no not that bullshit made with a brick of velveeta and a can of rotel tomatoes with chilis cooked up in a nuker people do for the Super Bowl.
Nah this is about a 2lb mix of cheddar, jack, Gruyere, ghouda, pannela, and asadero cheeses with two cans of diced green chiles and about 1 cup of sour cream.
Loaded up in the bag with no vacuum but double sealed and melted down at 175 for 4 hours

IMG_6177.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

Ive been thinking about making a nice venison roast for dinner tomorrow night.
Im not sure. Dont wanna do the traditional ham this year.

My wife made a mole sauce yesterday then today she'll pan fry some bone in chicken then pull it, add the mole, and serve with Spanish rice and home made tortillas. Delicious Mexican comfort food since we're not big on doing hams or traditional holiday dishes anymore.
I also have some fresh made tamales I scored from some old lady in the Home Depot parking lot. 🙃

My wife made a mole sauce yesterday then today she'll pan fry some bone in chicken then pull it, add the mole, and serve with Spanish rice and home made tortillas. Delicious Mexican comfort food since we're not big on doing hams or traditional holiday dishes anymore.
I also have some fresh made tamales I scored from some old lady in the Home Depot parking lot. 🙃
Sounds absolutely delicious dude.

yeah the fire alarms were singin!!! band aid was pure coincidental.. i keep band aids laying around everywhere!! ya know, it's me!!

the fire alarms are very sensitive and it's one thing i'm not upset about. they go off before i even see smoke so i just deal with them. my buddy got the one down for me and says how do ya get the battery out.. i said idk, see the one with tape holding it together, i threw that one on the floor to open it up last time!! 😆

but we didn't burn anything!! it was just from the broiler on high...

not that i do it for tradition but i never buy or eat lunch meat so xmas and easter i get ham!!!! almost couldn't find the brand we like but after the third store we scored!!!!! already sliced and bagged it... ate my fist ham sandwich yesterday!!

002.JPG

and then yesterday my buddy stops by with a prime rib roast for us!! i sliced it half and seasoned them up good added some herbs and in the vacuum bags they went!!!! look out sous vide prime rib baby!!!

001.JPG

merry christmas foodies!!!!!!!!!

Chinese takeout tonight, brunch tomorrow. Eggs benny for 8 which is always fun, wilted spinach salad with warm bacon vinaigrette, home fries and fruit salad. Mexican shrimp cocktail and mimosas.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have a great holiday and eat well.

yeah the fire alarms were singin!!! band aid was pure coincidental.. i keep band aids laying around everywhere!! ya know, it's me!!

the fire alarms are very sensitive and it's one thing i'm not upset about. they go off before i even see smoke so i just deal with them. my buddy got the one down for me and says how do ya get the battery out.. i said idk, see the one with tape holding it together, i threw that one on the floor to open it up last time!! 😆

but we didn't burn anything!! it was just from the broiler on high...

not that i do it for tradition but i never buy or eat lunch meat so xmas and easter i get ham!!!! almost couldn't find the brand we like but after the third store we scored!!!!! already sliced and bagged it... ate my fist ham sandwich yesterday!!

View attachment 35316

and then yesterday my buddy stops by with a prime rib roast for us!! i sliced it half and seasoned them up good added some herbs and in the vacuum bags they went!!!! look out sous vide prime rib baby!!!

View attachment 35315

merry christmas foodies!!!!!!!!!

Nice scores there Dude!
That meat slicer you have looks like one mean motor scooter! Baddass brother! Mine is like 99% plastic. :sneaky:Maybe the only stainless steel is the blade and the pushrod parts

Chinese takeout tonight, brunch tomorrow. Eggs benny for 8 which is always fun, wilted spinach salad with warm bacon vinaigrette, home fries and fruit salad. Mexican shrimp cocktail and mimosas.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have a great holiday and eat well.

Benny's sound good AF right now! Gotta work today and tomorrow then off for a week. Egg Bennies sound like the perfect breakfast to start my mini vacation!
;
:
:
Kept it simple this morning for breakfast....

reheated home made 'tillas on the griddle...Love it when they pillow up like this with the hot air pocket

IMG_6183.JPG

And a world class bean and cheese taco!
Loaded with refried beans and home made queso then topped with salsa, avocado, red onion, and cilantro

IMG_6187.JPG

First culinary class final exam sem 1 was 1 order of EB. It's a good exercise in time management mixed w technical skill. I already knew basically how to make it so I was able to refine vs starting from zero like everyone else. Hollandaise busted a lot of noobie balls in that class lol. Not super hard dish but pretty well mastered it so if anyone needs tips or whatever hit me up!

First culinary class final exam sem 1 was 1 order of EB. It's a good exercise in time management mixed w technical skill. I already knew basically how to make it so I was able to refine vs starting from zero like everyone else. Hollandaise busted a lot of noobie balls in that class lol. Not super hard dish but pretty well mastered it so if anyone needs tips or whatever hit me up!
Me. How do you get it to not clump up or overcook? I try and exercise temperature discipline but sometimes it gets away from me.

Me. How do you get it to not clump up or overcook? I try and exercise temperature discipline but sometimes it gets away from me.
Keep the water in the double boiler just barely simmering, and the mixing bowl should be over the water not touching it.
Some make it harder on themselves by trying to whisk in the fat while still on the double boiler/heat. You only need to whisk the yolks over the heat with a little water (or a vinegar/shallot/peppercorn reduction if being fancy) until they turn pale yellow and triple in volume. Fat is whisked in off heat.
Keep a little glass of warm water handy and if it starts getting too thick or starts to separate, whisk in a splash of water to adjust consistency.
Add the lemon juice last, just enough to perk the sauce up but not overwhelm. It is a butter sauce so that should be the dominant flavor.

Ratio of yolk to butter should be roughly 2-3oz butter per yolk. The more yolks, higher ratio of fat can be held in the emulsion.
Whole or clarified butter can be used. Unsalted. I prefer clarified butter for the glossy sheen it gives the sauce.

Keep the water in the double boiler just barely simmering, and the mixing bowl should be over the water not touching it.
Some make it harder on themselves by trying to whisk in the fat while still on the double boiler/heat. You only need to whisk the yolks over the heat with a little water (or a vinegar/shallot/peppercorn reduction if being fancy) until they turn pale yellow and triple in volume. Fat is whisked in off heat.
Keep a little glass of warm water handy and if it starts getting too thick or starts to separate, whisk in a splash of water to adjust consistency.
Add the lemon juice last, just enough to perk the sauce up but not overwhelm. It is a butter sauce so that should be the dominant flavor.

Ratio of yolk to butter should be roughly 2-3oz butter per yolk. The more yolks, higher ratio of fat can be held in the emulsion.
Whole or clarified butter can be used. Unsalted. I prefer clarified butter for the glossy sheen it gives the sauce.
Oh Boy! I don't do it the traditional way over a double boiler.

I use fridge cold eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. I've noticed it's easier to separate when they are cold. I let the yolks warm up some in a tall jar. I add in the lemon juice, salt and some hottish water and put my stick blender in the jar and start blending while I drizzle in the hot ghee. If it gets too thick I add some of the hottish water to loosen it up.

Maybe I'm getting the ghee to hot and cooking the yolks or maybe I need to blend at a higher speed so that the yolks and butter emulsify and don't cook and clump up? Not sure but I may try the traditional method if it can yield a more consistent product.

Thanks for the tips Bro!!

Oh Boy! I don't do it the traditional way over a double boiler.

I use fridge cold eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. I've noticed it's easier to separate when they are cold. I let the yolks warm up some in a tall jar. I add in the lemon juice, salt and some hottish water and put my stick blender in the jar and start blending while I drizzle in the hot ghee. If it gets too thick I add some of the hottish water to loosen it up.

Maybe I'm getting the ghee to hot and cooking the yolks or maybe I need to blend at a higher speed so that the yolks and butter emulsify and don't cook and clump up? Not sure but I may try the traditional method if it can yield a more consistent product.

Thanks for the tips Bro!!
Friction from the blender will heat it up too.

Back
Top Bottom