What's Cookin?

Made chicken enchiladas... well sort of, sadly the sauce was store bought. still good though!!!!

View attachment 1552

I like making my own sauces when it comes to mexican food. They're so easy and taste WAY better than anything in a jar.

I like making chicken enchiladas with green sauce.

Green sauce is tomatillos, serrano chile, garlic and onion par boiled until the tomatillo skins change color to a lighter green. Remove everything from the water and put it into a blender. Blend it all to the consistency you like and salt and pepper to taste. Add cilantro before last blending. Use water you used to boil everything if it's too thick to the consistency you want.

I buy a rotisserie chicken at the store and shred it. Frying pan with oil to soften the corn tortillas then, once they've cooked through and softened enough I fill and roll them and let them cool a little. When I'm ready to eat I take the rolled enchiladas and dunk them in the green sauce I have warming on the stove. Plate them and top with onions, sour cream, cilantro and cotija cheese.

Only thing missing is a giant Margarita on the rocks with a salted rim and limes floating around in the drink!!!

Hell yeah dude. It's kind of hard to find good actual bbq up here, mostly gotta do it yourself.

Next time you do pig give this sauce a shot. Best I've had on pulled pork by far.

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
Sounds like a South Carolina BBQ sauce.

Hell yeah dude. It's kind of hard to find good actual bbq up here, mostly gotta do it yourself.

Next time you do pig give this sauce a shot. Best I've had on pulled pork by far.

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

I'm in Central Texas and BBQ is kinda our thing. 😋 You've got Aaron Franklin, Tootsie Tomanetz who got on Netflix's Chef's Table BBQ, Louis Mueller, and many more all within an hour drive from my home.
We don't do too much pulled pork since brisket is the star around here with dino beef ribs and pork spare ribs close behind but there's been some new things hitting the butcher paper platters like a lot of guys using beef cheeks, smoked cheeses, game meats, and much more. Even had a brisket chocolate chip cookie last Summer. Steaks are huge too with people doing reverse sears and sous vide now instead of just pan sear or over fire.
Also some fusion cooking like smoking and air frying and smoke and braise. I like the smoke and braise techniques that replicate Mexican BBQ that we simply can't do in the US. They have huge holes in the Earth and agave to do something like birria while we can do that but use smoke pits and cast iron dutch ovens.
In those regards I really like doing a smoked cut, either brisket or pork tenderloin and after the stall and about 30-40 degrees from being done, instead of wrapping, putting the cut down in a pan and drowning it in hot sauce and bone broth to finish off then chop for tacos.

A little Sunday BBQ action...Dr.Pepper chicken, about a 5 hour slow cook starting at 250 to smoke it for two hours then up to 270 for the final three hours and the DP glaze brushed on three separate times during the last hour and half. There's also some Sausage Slammers up top so as they cook all their dripping fall down on the yard bird and pan of beans. Beans are traditional BBQ pinto with DP glaze and bacon added. Beans cooked for about 3 hours.
Sausage Slammers are made by a local butcher and are a kielbasa link stuffed with jalapeno and cheddar cheese then wrapped with bacon

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

Served up with garlic green beans and home made deviled egg and mustard tater salad.

IMG_4581.JPG

See Stoney, we eat beans around here. Just not in chili 😋

those beans look killer man... only missing one ingredient, CHILI!!! hahahaha

the church lady down the road traded me eggs for hand made pirogies, fresh made today!!!

DSCN0535.JPG

so we had pan fried chicken thigh, deboned and dredged in seasoned flour, no egg or breadcrumbs. rogies were fried in the left over grease... corn was the very first in the stores around here, steamed and buttered... i call it south amish!!! hahaha

DSCN0534.JPG

Yummy pirogies!!
The lobster compost tea got me craving seafood so last night it was shrimp and veggies kinda stir fried with chili infused olive oil, brown soy cooking sauce, and chili onion crisp.
I served it up on a bed of boil-in-bag jasmine rice

IMG_4616.JPG

Here's what I did for snacking during Talladega...pan seared quail legs with green cholula and chives. So good!!!

IMG_4511.JPG

Last edited:
Slab life today. These badboys just went in the smoker at 225 and should be done later tonight. I do my ribs Memphis style using only rubs and smoke. No sauce. The carmelization from the fat and rub will make all the sauce that's needed

IMG_4626.JPG

Good lookin racks dude hope you remember to take some after pics.

All I got is steak.

View attachment 1822View attachment 1823

You score a whole rib roast then cut into steaks or were they already cut?
Sometimes, usually during the holidays Costco will sell rib roasts whole like that and I love to pounce. I'll cut, vac seal, and freeze to have steaks for the whole Summer.

Here's how my slabs turned out. Also had a venison and pork sausage on the smoker

IMG_4634.JPG

Oh man those ribs look perfect. Outstanding..I love making sausage,
I've got some andoullie I did last fall that is just delicious in red beans. Jalapeno cheddar is always a big hit. The butcher gives me casings for free. He gets me chuck eye steaks too and I love those things
That was a whole angus roast I cut into steaks w a sharp carbon steel.

You score a whole rib roast then cut into steaks or were they already cut?
Sometimes, usually during the holidays Costco will sell rib roasts whole like that and I love to pounce. I'll cut, vac seal, and freeze to have steaks for the whole Summer.

Here's how my slabs turned out. Also had a venison and pork sausage on the smoker

View attachment 1882

So when do I get invited over to check out your grow setup.....of course dinner is included in the tour right? 😄

morel mushrooms on the camp fire.your guys food looks amazing.

morels are my favorite!!! i've tried to grow a small patch but have two failed attempts so far, i'll keep trying!!

I recently grew some lions mane shrooms, they tasted amazing... like crab meat!!!

anyone else here grow fungi? legal or not??

i recently picked up some spores.. shitake, portobella, and chaga!! i hear the chaga makes a great tea!!!

DSCN0557.JPG

morels are my favorite!!! i've tried to grow a small patch but have two failed attempts so far, i'll keep trying!!

I recently grew some lions mane shrooms, they tasted amazing... like crab meat!!!

anyone else here grow fungi? legal or not??

i recently picked up some spores.. shitake, portobella, and chaga!! i hear the chaga makes a great tea!!!

View attachment 2389
Found 92 today.i spread spore slurry from them every year.havnt been able to get them to grow yet either.

Attachments

• 20230513_092757.jpg
    20230513_092757.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 3311.jpeg
    3311.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 3
Here is a big lions mane I found last year.i was able to get some oyster mushrooms to grow in my mulch in the garden paths with spore slurry last year.

I got a smoker I play with and dehydrator for jerky....deep fryer...got a black stone too but that hoe is always outta fuel it seems I don't use it much.

Do some gardening, gotta do an oil change and drain the gas on my old tiller and quick thing has sat for like 4 years I got flooded and my life was all messed up...here is my tiller, mom gets this weekend, by next I need to be planting 20230413_102911.jpg
I grow dandelions like a wizard

This recipe came across my radar back around Valentines Day. It's called "Marry Me Chicken" and I finally got a chance to do it.
Very ez, takes maybe 30-40 minutes and starts off on the stove top and finishes in the oven.
It's decadent rich with the cream sauce. Mild spice. Very aromatic. Bursting flavors. This was one along with it's title had my wife saying I knew I married you for a reason. Serve with garlic French bread so you have a mop to wipe your plate clean, it's that good.
I used boneless and skinless thighs instead of breasts since I like thighs more than any other part of chicken and have a freezer full of them

IMG_0317.JPG

I'm a completely untrained poser in the kitchen, but I've been posing for decades, so occasionally some good stuff is produced. If anything photogenic occurs, I'll post.
Same lol

Back
Top Bottom