Zen_seeker’s DIY Mixmash

20240514:

The two fems have broken the surface.
1. Jilly Bean
4. Strawberry Lemonade

View attachment 57770View attachment 57771View attachment 57772

Didn’t have my glasses on so forgive any blurry spots. 🤓
I've never had much luck with those peat pods, I do much better with the paper towel method. Once I have tails on the seeds I plant head above the soil and they all seem to grow, those fking pods would dry out on me and I'd kill them off. I know lots use them with great success, I'm not one of them.

And so it starts......the new season is upon us. Outside?

I've never had much luck with those peat pods, I do much better with the paper towel method. Once I have tails on the seeds I plant head above the soil and they all seem to grow, those fking pods would dry out on me and I'd kill them off. I know lots use them with great success, I'm not one of them.
I have tried a few ways starting with paper towel on a plate. Eventually I remembered peat pucks. But don’t remember who used them atm.

With cannabis I’ve had great success. With vegetables 75%, but most of my seeds are very old.

I’ll be figuring out the germinator this year. Turns out the reservoir was slowly leaking and I didn’t spot it. Now I’ll use a small bowl or saucer.

And so it starts......the new season is upon us. Outside?
Yes sir. Looking for back pain relief and anti stress this grow. 🤣

I want to but Twin2 got big. Got too much attention. Had a few people snooping. If I can find a shorter Indica maybe. I do like the outdoor results. 👍

20240515:

Purple Diesel broke through the surface this morning. Just waiting on the Gorilla Glue now.

Peat pucks dried out faster than expected so watered the sides with a syringe.

Tent sections are all cleaned up and waiting for seedlings. Veggies are already in the tray.

I’ll give the GG a little more time before digging…

I have tried a few ways starting with paper towel on a plate. Eventually I remembered peat pucks. But don’t remember who used them atm.

With cannabis I’ve had great success. With vegetables 75%, but most of my seeds are very old.

I’ll be figuring out the germinator this year. Turns out the reservoir was slowly leaking and I didn’t spot it. Now I’ll use a small bowl or saucer.

Yes sir. Looking for back pain relief and anti stress this grow. 🤣

I want to but Twin2 got big. Got too much attention. Had a few people snooping. If I can find a shorter Indica maybe. I do like the outdoor results. 👍
I'm so good with the paper towels I've afraid to try anything new. I have the vertical germinator but I can't take a chance with valuable seeds,why fk with 100%. I have a thousand or more sitting in a pile on my desk mixed with sticks and shit I should try the Vertical thing with some of those....hey good talk....

I spent yesterday washing my balls...lol....cleaning my trays, pots and valves. I also cleaned up my air domes and lines. I;ve my res, pump & chiller to clean today I have the pot socks sitting soaking and they'll take some scrubbing to clean them up. I got my new red lights up and 1 of the red pucks relocated. 1 more to go.

Today I have to get more soil and worm castings then transplant asap. I get this Greenworld VPW30 its $15/ bale less than Promix and it works the same. I'm the only one I know who uses it and its a shame more folks don't realize how well it works or have ever heard of it1715782917125.pnglights.png

My method is a 24 hours soak 50/50 water with peroxide. Then they go straight to the soil. Solo cup, 1/2” hole in prewetted soil, seed sideways as it rights itself. Almost always a 100% germination. I honestly can’t remember the last time one did not pop.

Today I have to get more soil and worm castings then transplant asap. I get this Greenworld VPW30 its $15/ bale less than Promix and it works the same. I'm the only one I know who uses it and its a shame more folks don't realize how well it works or have ever heard of it
Must be a Canadian thing, I can't find it down here.
Promix bx it is lol. Even the HP is hard to find here or it's 150 dollars a bale.... ya right.... id buy weed before I spent 150 dollars on peat moss.

I'm so good with the paper towels I've afraid to try anything new. I have the vertical germinator but I can't take a chance with valuable seeds,why fk with 100%. I have a thousand or more sitting in a pile on my desk mixed with sticks and shit I should try the Vertical thing with some of those....hey good talk....

I spent yesterday washing my balls...lol....cleaning my trays, pots and valves. I also cleaned up my air domes and lines. I;ve my res, pump & chiller to clean today I have the pot socks sitting soaking and they'll take some scrubbing to clean them up. I got my new red lights up and 1 of the red pucks relocated. 1 more to go.

Today I have to get more soil and worm castings then transplant asap. I get this Greenworld VPW30 its $15/ bale less than Promix and it works the same. I'm the only one I know who uses it and its a shame more folks don't realize how well it works or have ever heard of itView attachment 57886View attachment 57884
If you can get it up here there’s a good chance I can. I’m good for at least another year but nice to have options. 🍻

But I spoke to them individually. Explaining we had a timeline that needed to be met. Apparently the other three got the message. GG#4 must not speak English. 🤦
Don't think it works that way, it's nice to think it does lol

20250516:

Three out of 4 still but I had to move to the tent. Getting to big already.

IMG_8256.jpegIMG_8260.jpegIMG_8261.jpeg

Peeled a few shells off.
IMG_8263.jpeg
73755871860__D00E55AC-96CC-493E-B580-501654C71D4C.jpeg73755873958__FBE02FE2-7A61-43D8-B704-3D74C53BE90D.jpeg

They look even better now, hours later, until I dropped the Purple Diesel on its head.🤦
IMG_8268.jpeg

GG#4 is in with the veggies for the moment. Domes not in place. Lots of air withdraw fan on low. Black foam covers the seeds waiting to pop.

Busy day. But got things done.

Stop playing with them and that won't happen🤣
Nothing broke?

You’re the one who told me to take the shells off. (Dropping one was my idea.)

Purple Diesel is the one that fell, about 3’. I left the shell, but it looks pretty loose now. 🤣
IMG_8271.jpeg

The Jilly Bean was the one with a membrane left on you spotted. Got that off a little while ago. IMG_8274.jpeg

The Strawberry Lemonade was a bit discoloured but looking good now.IMG_8272.jpeg

Just going to leave them alone a while. Check the GG4 and veggies in the morning.

20240518:

Turned up the light to 8000 LUX. To much stretch happening. RH is upper 60% and temperature 22-23.
IMG_8289.jpegIMG_8290.jpeg

The Purple Diesel is coming along. Got the shell off yesterday but membrane remained.
IMG_8291.jpeg
Got most of the membrane off this morning. But a bit remains under the leaf.

Still nothing from the GG4 or vegetables. Might have to dig up the GG4, it’s been a week.

20240520:

The three amigos are either okay or stalled. 🤔
IMG_8305.jpegIMG_8306.jpegIMG_8307.jpeg

Veggies are starting to come up.

The GG4 I dug out the other night. The shell was still hard so I opened it like a sunflower seed. Cracked along the seam starting at the pointier side. Last hail marry.

Tents holding at RH 60-70 & 22*.

Lookin great Zen_seeker, My germination is the only skill I want to get perfected, so I can retire and buy some silver and a new floor in my Kitchen. Cheers

Lookin great Zen_seeker, My germination is the only skill I want to get perfected, so I can retire and buy some silver and a new floor in my Kitchen. Cheers

What’s the silver for, or do you just want to hang on to some precious metals?

Germination is usually okay but after the Topanga Cookies I’m gun shy. (Seems the fewer seeds I have of a strain the more pressure to get it to pop. 🤣)

Still not sure if the three seedlings are out of the water yet, so to speak. But at least two of them are finally getting larger real leaves.

All the tomatoes are taking off. Two cherry tomato seeds got stuck together and both are growing together. I’ll pull the weaker of the two a little later.

Peppers, beans and the GG4 get another week…

Wifey picked up two cucumber plants on the weekend. No bugs and in good shape. Plan is to move all the veggies outside by next weekend. 🤞

20240521:

Planted the two cucumbers in the early afternoon. So the sun wouldn’t be directly on them until tomorrow around 10am. Had them in the south window inside the last few days.

The three amigos are doing good, slow but steady. Leaves are spreading and stretching has slowed/stopped. Need to check the LUX again.
IMG_8312.jpeg
IMG_8321.jpegIMG_8322.jpegIMG_8320.jpeg

Tomatoes are all out. I remember reading that you shouldn’t have more than one plant in the same pot but two stuck together when I was making the Cherry seeds last fall. I’ll cut the weaker one soon.

The bottom puck in the last pic is the GG#4. It looked good when I cracked it open after digging it up. 🤞
IMG_8297.jpegIMG_8300.jpeg

20240522:

Lots of humidity the last week and it’s getting worse. Made up a sulphur spray and just misted the leaves and stems by holding the cups sideways over the sink.

The Topanga Cookie seedling got mould last time round so I’m not risking it again.

About 14 hours after spraying.
IMG_8325.jpeg

Now I’ll leave them alone other than water for the next week.

20240524:

Planting veggies in the garden since last week. Cucumbers are doing good as are the first set of tomatoes. Added the second set of tomatoes today.
IMG_8370.jpegIMG_8371.jpegIMG_8372.jpeg

Inside is doing okay but feels slow. The Strawberry Lemonade is getting top heavy. Despite having a fan blow on them from day one.
IMG_8369.jpeg

I don’t want to put anything for it to lean on as that gave me mould last time I did. If it gets worse I’ll either put something across the top or use @SSgrower trick and wrap a straw around it. Just hope the sulphur spray keeps it healthy.

20240524:

Planting veggies in the garden since last week. Cucumbers are doing good as are the first set of tomatoes. Added the second set of tomatoes today.
View attachment 58891View attachment 58892View attachment 58893

Inside is doing okay but feels slow. The Strawberry Lemonade is getting top heavy. Despite having a fan blow on them from day one.
View attachment 58889

I don’t want to put anything for it to lean on as that gave me mould last time I did. If it gets worse I’ll either put something across the top or use @SSgrower trick and wrap a straw around it. Just hope the sulphur spray keeps it healthy.
When my seedling are small I like the T5 fluorescent the best the first few days I keep them off the light to the side but after a week they can be within a foot and they don't burn and love it. I find with led's its a bit trickier with the distance and power setting to stop them from stretching to the light.

I do start them 1/2 way up in my cups then add soil to cover them up after they stretch and that helps a lot. I've never had one mold on me though....

no domes for seedlings...only clones need domes....seedlings need the O2. I don't see any holes in your solo cups. I have 15 -20 holes and if double cupped lots of holes in the inner cup too so they get O2 access in the root zone as well

When my seedling are small I like the T5 fluorescent the best the first few days I keep them off the light to the side but after a week they can be within a foot and they don't burn and love it. I find with led's its a bit trickier with the distance and power setting to stop them from stretching to the light.
G$ said I’ve done clones so long I’ve forgotten how to germinate seeds. He might be right. 🤣

I had to buy a LUX meter to try and keep it at the proper settings. However what the setting or number may be is wider than expected. I’ve read 4500-15000 but find 6000-8000 to be the most common. I believe I’m at 8000 LUX at the moment and due to the hight of the cups that’s the lowest I can go with that light. It’s a small 100w quantum board.

I do start them 1/2 way up in my cups then add soil to cover them up after they stretch and that helps a lot. I've never had one mold on me though....
When I used to put soil over the top of the peat pucks I was told not to. Not long after that I just used the pucks for veggies so it wasn’t an issue again until now. If it wasn’t for my TC fail I’d have skipped the peat pucks.

Before I went outside to do chores I did add a bit to each plant. It was a knee jerk reaction after seeing the one bent over this morning.

@freezeland already suggested it too on the corner so I’m feeling better about my choice after getting two replies suggesting I do it. 👍

no domes for seedlings...only clones need domes....seedlings need the O2. I don't see any holes in your solo cups.
The only domes I use are the ones that don’t go over the top. More of a half dome.

I have a usb fan in the tent section to stop mould and strengthen the stems. So the half dome was to keep the bottom a bit damp but allow the wind to move the stems.

Bad idea? I took them off yesterday or the day before when they looked stronger. Only the Strawberry Lemonade didn’t stay up. But hopefully the extra soil will fix that.

I have 15 -20 holes and if double cupped lots of holes in the inner cup too so they get O2 access in the root zone as well
I’ve only ever put 5 holes in the bottom of my inner cups for drainage. I’ll try that next time. Any pattern work for you or just a number and random?

Thanks for the advice @Pipecarver 👍
I’m hoping tomorrow is going to be looking better. But I feel a lot better about moving them to the main floor for a few hours and topping with soil after reading you guys replies.

Anyone have a better LUX suggestion than 8000?

G$ said I’ve done clones so long I’ve forgotten how to germinate seeds. He might be right. 🤣

I had to buy a LUX meter to try and keep it at the proper settings. However what the setting or number may be is wider than expected. I’ve read 4500-15000 but find 6000-8000 to be the most common. I believe I’m at 8000 LUX at the moment and due to the hight of the cups that’s the lowest I can go with that light. It’s a small 100w quantum board.

When I used to put soil over the top of the peat pucks I was told not to. Not long after that I just used the pucks for veggies so it wasn’t an issue again until now. If it wasn’t for my TC fail I’d have skipped the peat pucks.

Before I went outside to do chores I did add a bit to each plant. It was a knee jerk reaction after seeing the one bent over this morning.

@freezeland already suggested it too on the corner so I’m feeling better about my choice after getting two replies suggesting I do it. 👍

The only domes I use are the ones that don’t go over the top. More of a half dome.

I have a usb fan in the tent section to stop mould and strengthen the stems. So the half dome was to keep the bottom a bit damp but allow the wind to move the stems.

Bad idea? I took them off yesterday or the day before when they looked stronger. Only the Strawberry Lemonade didn’t stay up. But hopefully the extra soil will fix that.

I’ve only ever put 5 holes in the bottom of my inner cups for drainage. I’ll try that next time. Any pattern work for you or just a number and random?

Thanks for the advice @Pipecarver 👍
I’m hoping tomorrow is going to be looking better. But I feel a lot better about moving them to the main floor for a few hours and topping with soil after reading you guys replies.

Anyone have a better LUX suggestion than 8000?
I go by ppfd and at that growth stage I’d be around 100 ppfd or so.

Back
Top Bottom