Zen_seeker’s DIY Mixmash

G$ said I’ve done clones so long I’ve forgotten how to germinate seeds. He might be right. 🤣

I had to buy a LUX meter to try and keep it at the proper settings. However what the setting or number may be is wider than expected. I’ve read 4500-15000 but find 6000-8000 to be the most common. I believe I’m at 8000 LUX at the moment and due to the hight of the cups that’s the lowest I can go with that light. It’s a small 100w quantum board.

When I used to put soil over the top of the peat pucks I was told not to. Not long after that I just used the pucks for veggies so it wasn’t an issue again until now. If it wasn’t for my TC fail I’d have skipped the peat pucks.

Before I went outside to do chores I did add a bit to each plant. It was a knee jerk reaction after seeing the one bent over this morning.

@freezeland already suggested it too on the corner so I’m feeling better about my choice after getting two replies suggesting I do it. 👍

The only domes I use are the ones that don’t go over the top. More of a half dome.

I have a usb fan in the tent section to stop mould and strengthen the stems. So the half dome was to keep the bottom a bit damp but allow the wind to move the stems.

Bad idea? I took them off yesterday or the day before when they looked stronger. Only the Strawberry Lemonade didn’t stay up. But hopefully the extra soil will fix that.

I’ve only ever put 5 holes in the bottom of my inner cups for drainage. I’ll try that next time. Any pattern work for you or just a number and random?

Thanks for the advice @Pipecarver 👍
I’m hoping tomorrow is going to be looking better. But I feel a lot better about moving them to the main floor for a few hours and topping with soil after reading you guys replies.

Anyone have a better LUX suggestion than 8000?
Ya I think its something like 8000 early up to 15000 by 3 weeks max I think is 25,000 for fully matured vegging plants. That's about what I get off t5's right off the lamp and my plants can be within 1/2 " and not burn but touch the lamp and they burn where they touch...That's why I like t5's you can't really burn your leaves with them unless they touch

I go by ppfd and at that growth stage I’d be around 100 ppfd or so.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find a meter less than $200 to the door.

The LUX meter was $50, and because they screwed the delivery and didn’t include the case Amazon made it free.

It seems consistent but I have nothing to test it against. 🤷‍♂️

I did triple check and where they are now the seedlings get 8000 LUX.

Ya I think its something like 8000 early up to 15000 by 3 weeks max I think is 25,000 for fully matured vegging plants. That's about what I get off t5's right off the lamp and my plants can be within 1/2 " and not burn but touch the lamp and they burn where they touch...That's why I like t5's you can't really burn your leaves with them unless they touch
I haven’t been to the grow shop in a while. I know they had T5 in the past on sale. I’ll see what they have. I think I’ve seen germination kits that come with T5s so they must be the standard.

I have a 4000lux Ferry Moris seedling lamp I use, getting old needs replaced.

IMG_8383.jpeg

They still have a sale on. Not sure if 18” or 24” would best fit. Need to think about how I want to use this section going forward.

IMG_8385.jpeg

Still alive, slowly growing. Second set of real leaves started on all three. I’ll just have to be patient.

IMG_8386.jpeg

GG#4 just didn’t pop. It’s still hard but feels much smoother, colour changed slightly lighter. It always had a small hole on the pointy end so maybe damaged?

Three out of four is good. RH is staying in the mid 60’s. Temperature in the low 20’s. Not perfect but acceptable.

I agree with @Pipecarver , you can't beat t5's for seedlings....
I also have an sf600 a 75w 4ft long led from Spiderfarmer that works great for seedlings. I have to keep the light further away from the light and there is no dimmer. It puts out 50,000 lux right off the fixture so some distance between plants and light is needed. It just fits in my 3x3 from corner to corner and has a limited field of light but for small plants it works well. I've also used it for extended coverage over my flowering plants and the buds grown under it are as nice as any......2 thumbs up for the SF600

IMG_8384.jpeg

Still getting the vegetables up. Cucumbers are happy. Beefsteak and cherry tomatoes are doing okay so far. Something took a big bite out of one tomato cotyledon. 😤

View attachment 59161

Still getting the vegetables up. Cucumbers are happy. Beefsteak and cherry tomatoes are doing okay so far. Something took a big bite out of one tomato cotyledon. 😤
We had blue sky yesterday....maybe we can grow outside too......nope......cloudy today....maybe next year....., I hear there's a thing called global warming I keep hoping for, polititions keep raising taxes because of it.....when will we see the benefit here in the Maritimes.....all I see is global wetting, clouding, drissling,fogging,shity weather

I use a 4 foot led shop light in my seed starter tent.
About 6 inches above the plants.
No clue the details on it anymore I threw the box away but it's just a Hyper Tough shop light from Walmart. Was like 12.88 or some shit.

We had blue sky yesterday....maybe we can grow outside too......nope......cloudy today....maybe next year....., I hear there's a thing called global warming I keep hoping for, polititions keep raising taxes because of it.....when will we see the benefit here in the Maritimes.....all I see is global wetting, clouding, drissling,fogging,shity weather
I find winters are much better as time goes on. Less snow to shovel. Don’t know if spring is wetter or about the same. But summer is much drier.

The sun’s affects are faster and more noticeable. Bleached plastics and paint. Plants no longer doing well in full sun. Skin sunburn in 30 minutes rather than taking hours.

More on/off rain and thunderstorms this week. Sounds like they will be over you by Tuesday afternoon. Coming from Cannagranny’s area.

Yesterday was nice. Little cooler than the day before. Mostly sunny by afternoon. Spent half the day puttering around the yard. Now if I could only make the noise, cars and people disappear.

I use a 4 foot led shop light in my seed starter tent.
About 6 inches above the plants.
No clue the details on it anymore I threw the box away but it's just a Hyper Tough shop light from Walmart. Was like 12.88 or some shit.
My uncle with the roses always had a fluorescent fixture over the end of his work bench in the garage. Just a couple feet above the table hanging on chains he could adjust.

I haven’t used fluorescent fixtures in decades. Don’t think I even have one any more.

Another option to consider. Thanks.

My uncle with the roses always had a fluorescent fixture over the end of his work bench in the garage. Just a couple feet above the table hanging on chains he could adjust.

I haven’t used fluorescent fixtures in decades. Don’t think I even have one any more.

The one I have must not be made anymore because I can not find it anywhere on Walmarts website. Lemme go get it down and I'll snap a photo

20240527:

IMG_8401.jpeg
73849543964__46E6C2E1-F3EC-4938-BF08-43E0A22C3D0E.jpeg
The three amigos are coming along. Some fugly leaves here and there.

The Purple Diesel roots took off yesterday. The other two are just starting to show root hairs at the sides of the cup.

IMG_8400.jpeg

Both sweet pepper’s finally came up. About a week behind the tomatoes. Still not sure why things are slower this year. But temperatures and humidity I suspect are most likely. They responded better/faster when RH60-65% & temps at 24*-25*.

More rain and storms. Over night and later today. The winds are getting concerning lately.

Those chain driven devices are the "bomb" from back in the day, "Chain Gang" baby! I like seeing old pictures of lights hung with chains.

Those chain driven devices are the "bomb" from back in the day, "Chain Gang" baby! I like seeing old pictures of lights hung with chains.
No pics, no camera. This was late 70’s early 80’s. Just a two or four bulb white fixture. Clear or smoky lens that snapped into place.

If I see one I’ll take a screen shot. Got me feeling nostalgic.

I have a T8 fixture I made with 2 8ft 2 tube Fluorescent I cut in half and placed on a sheet of plywood so I could have a 4ftx4ft t8 fixture. I vegged under them for years I now have it hanging in my workshop over a work bench I use when tending plants. I've another 2 ft2 tube t8 over my work table, 1 2ft 2 T% tube over my Drill press, Another 2ft 2 tube T5 over my lathe and another over my Belt sander......

Alls good until its time to replace them...they are fking expensive now and hard to find. I've had to replace a couple of ballasts and they're not cheap either. I can replace my t5's with strip led lights, they have them everywhere but try to find T5's full spectrum fluorescent in Canada now.

I have a T8 fixture I made with 2 8ft 2 tube Fluorescent I cut in half and placed on a sheet of plywood so I could have a 4ftx4ft t8 fixture. I vegged under them for years I now have it hanging in my workshop over a work bench I use when tending plants. I've another 2 ft2 tube t8 over my work table, 1 2ft 2 T% tube over my Drill press, Another 2ft 2 tube T5 over my lathe and another over my Belt sander......

Alls good until its time to replace them...they are fking expensive now and hard to find. I've had to replace a couple of ballasts and they're not cheap either. I can replace my t5's with strip led lights, they have them everywhere but try to find T5's full spectrum fluorescent in Canada now.

Probably not worth shipping but my guy still has them.
IMG_8403.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg

Hope it helps.

Probably not worth shipping but my guy still has them.
View attachment 59311

View attachment 59312

Hope it helps.
Hey, thanks. I'll keep them in mind if I need more. I have a couple of t5 spare tubes and I'm using the sf600 in the warmer months. I like the T5's in the winter when I can get some heat off the lamps. Leds just don't put out enough heat for us Canadians up north here. Those sun blasters are good lamps with an effective spectrum and they last quite a while. I've vegged some big plants with just T5's with top and side lighting

20240528:

I think I’m past the “will they make it” point. All have fine roots shooting through the cups.

Only the Jilly Bean looks perfectly fine. No defects or issues.

My buddy assured me he always has the crinkled leaves on the Strawberry Lemonade and it grows out.

The Purple Diesel looks a little funky but I did drop it 3’ on it’s head the first week. 🤦

IMG_8409.jpeg

The vegetables are still coming up. The last weeks weather has made things perfect in the tent. Temps and humidity are staying in the zone. Both sweet peppers are up and good. One bean is pushing up now but the other may be toast as I dug into it last week.

IMG_8410.jpeg

What a difference a week can make.

20240528:

I think I’m past the “will they make it” point. All have fine roots shooting through the cups.

Only the Jilly Bean looks perfectly fine. No defects or issues.

My buddy assured me he always has the crinkled leaves on the Strawberry Lemonade and it grows out.

The Purple Diesel looks a little funky but I did drop it 3’ on it’s head the first week. 🤦

View attachment 59430

The vegetables are still coming up. The last weeks weather has made things perfect in the tent. Temps and humidity are staying in the zone. Both sweet peppers are up and good. One bean is pushing up now but the other may be toast as I dug into it last week.

View attachment 59431

What a difference a week can make.
I find a lot of seedling leaves look iffy at the start but grow out of it once they get a few weeks old, as long as they keep growing they do fine. . Rain again today, this shit is getting old, we had 1 nice day a few days ago, got the lawn mowed, Trimmed yesterday as the clouds rolled back in and today its pissing again...We had our car worked on ...on Friday we left at 4pm after having winter tires removed and summers put back on and now the car shakes...like not balanced tires...can't drive it as is...gotta go back to the shop....Fk its always something and we need brakes done.....about $1500 because we need a new caliper & rotors

20240529:

Took the Dr’s advice. Patient has a cast. IMG_8421.jpeg

It was strong enough for me to touch her and put it on. All should make it, if they are all female.

I find a lot of seedling leaves look iffy at the start but grow out of it once they get a few weeks old, as long as they keep growing they do fine. . Rain again today, this shit is getting old, we had 1 nice day a few days ago, got the lawn mowed, Trimmed yesterday as the clouds rolled back in and today its pissing again...We had our car worked on ...on Friday we left at 4pm after having winter tires removed and summers put back on and now the car shakes...like not balanced tires...can't drive it as is...gotta go back to the shop....Fk its always something and we need brakes done.....about $1500 because we need a new caliper & rotors

I hear ya PC. I’ve seen it before too. G$ & Stonemason said the same to me.

I still need to buy new tires. Keep putting it off to deal with other BS. I just don’t trust the shops anymore. Always fucking things up or trying to screw you with extra charges.

Tired of arguing about money with everyone. It says $$$, so just charge me the $$$ and be done with it.

I think we have a few good days starting today. Friday is supposed to be the best in the next 7 days. But they change it every two so who knows.

I hear ya PC. I’ve seen it before too. G$ & Stonemason said the same to me.

I still need to buy new tires. Keep putting it off to deal with other BS. I just don’t trust the shops anymore. Always fucking things up or trying to screw you with extra charges.

Tired of arguing about money with everyone. It says $$$, so just charge me the $$$ and be done with it.

I think we have a few good days starting today. Friday is supposed to be the best in the next 7 days. But they change it every two so who knows.
Rain again today for us but we have leaves on the trees now, so...Spring???...I used to love Spring in BC...not so much here......

I've been smoking the Frozen Custard & some Greesy. The Frozen Custard is a sweet smoke, like a dessert smoke, not fruity but a subtle sweetness. The Greesy is hard to describe, a bit of a cough with it and good buzz but it isn't very distinguishable. I have 2 of the Topanga Cookies 1 week into flower looking good so far, stunted but they're starting to fill out now that they are in flower.

Rain again today for us but we have leaves on the trees now, so...Spring???...I used to love Spring in BC...not so much here......

I've been smoking the Frozen Custard & some Greesy. The Frozen Custard is a sweet smoke, like a dessert smoke, not fruity but a subtle sweetness. The Greesy is hard to describe, a bit of a cough with it and good buzz but it isn't very distinguishable. I have 2 of the Topanga Cookies 1 week into flower looking good so far, stunted but they're starting to fill out now that they are in flower.
I hope they do well for you. Next time I buy seeds I’ll see if you want a couple.

I got to try the Topanga Cookies and GG#4 again later. I’ll stick with the three I’ve got now and just clone.

Feels good to be growing again after taking the winter off. I hope your weather improves but then that will bring the biting bugs won’t it?

20240531:

Plants are coming along fine now.
Since they liked it the first time I’ve put them in the window a few hours each nice sunny day. We’ve only had three so far. 🤣

Yesterday:
IMG_8435.jpegIMG_8440.jpeg

Today:
IMG_8447.jpeg

While taking a pic of the three amigos in the tent I dropped the iPhone.IMG_8448.jpeg

Pretty sure I now only have one sweet pepper to plant this weekend. 🤦

I hope they do well for you. Next time I buy seeds I’ll see if you want a couple.

I got to try the Topanga Cookies and GG#4 again later. I’ll stick with the three I’ve got now and just clone.

Feels good to be growing again after taking the winter off. I hope your weather improves but then that will bring the biting bugs won’t it?
Its nice so far today, suns out, ya black flies & ticks make it a bit unpleasant outside, even the cats get bit and get small bald spots where they get bit. They'll lay outside and I guess the mosquitoes get through their fur. We pull a couple of ticks off them yearly, not too bad as they are mostly elevated and on ramps.

We have special med we give them to fight off lyme disease but it doesn't stop them from getting bit and packing them in the house. I've had 2 crawling on me so far this year, none have bit so far...I think, we can get bit and never know it if we don't feel them or see them.....We watched Naked and afraid the other night, a guy in Columbia got a tick right on him dick's helmet and they had to yard it off him....fkin ouuuuuch. My cat Coal sleeps along side me at night and that show now has me paranoid on where those fkers like to bite

Back
Top Bottom