⚡Electrical Help Thread⚡

You gotta watch using the larger #12 on 15amp receptacles....Thet don't fit the quick wire and they're too big to wrap around the screw properly, They are stiffer wires and there's less room in your junction boxes when you splice them. I never wired homes with #12 unless there was a specific need for 20 amp circuits....heating/ air conditioning, garage welders ect......I've been away some 20+ years now things may have changed.....I'm up North too we got some different rules on stuff
#12 fits…tight. I used it as I got deals at work. Bitch to remove sometimes. Don’t use the screws but can see that being a problem.

Got to post a pic of an issue I’m having with breaking light switches.

#12 fits…tight. I used it as I got deals at work. Bitch to remove sometimes. Don’t use the screws but can see that being a problem.

Got to post a pic of an issue I’m having with breaking light switches.
Cheaper and cheaper materials......Are you saying you're breaking the switch while using a #12 that you've quick wired??.......If that's the case I see the #12 as the problem....soon as you put some stress on the switch pushing it into the box the cheap bakelite snaps? Not much of a body on the new switches anyways....fk they used to be $3 when I was wiring 30 years ago and they're $2 at the dollar store now

You gotta watch using the larger #12 on 15amp receptacles....Thet don't fit the quick wire and they're too big to wrap around the screw properly, They are stiffer wires and there's less room in your junction boxes when you splice them. I never wired homes with #12 unless there was a specific need for 20 amp circuits....heating/ air conditioning, garage welders ect......I've been away some 20+ years now things may have changed.....I'm up North too we got some different rules on stuff
Yeah you guys run a higher voltage, correct? Higher voltage equates to less amperage. For some reason I'm thinking 347v or something weird like that. That could be Australia. We're almost strictly 120/240v single phase services for residential.
There used to be a simplified version you could get that mainly covered 200 amp services and under. Good for the home owner and worded to understand.
Here we have the NEC Handbook. Same book but it also includes illustrations and a simplified explanation. It's an awesome book for sure, but it's not allowed for license tests.

Yeah you guys run a higher voltage, correct? Higher voltage equates to less amperage.

Here we have the NEC Handbook. Same book but it also includes illustrations and a simplified explanation. It's an awesome book for sure, but it's not allowed for license tests.
No we're same as you 110/ 220 v Europe is 220 v.....we use Lumex though..... no Romex up here.....and you guys and fking Philips screws.......lol...Robertson for the win.....

IMG_4588.jpegIMG_4589.jpegIMG_4590.jpeg

High traffic areas do seem to break faster but not always. Might be people pushing? But I think time and shit plastic. Bought three boxes from big box about 10+ years ago for Reno. Have some left over but they all seem to break. Rooms sunlight or temperatures don’t seem to matter.

Now I don’t know who’s brand to buy as most are just from same factory, like light bulbs used to be.

No we're same as you 110/ 220 v Europe is 220 v.....we use Lumex though..... no Romex up here.....and you guys and fking Philips screws.......lol...Robertson for the win.....
Our newer screws are combination flat/phillips/square. It's real dump though. The side screws use a #2 square and the support screws are #1. Super dumb

View attachment 19053View attachment 19054View attachment 19055

High traffic areas do seem to break faster but not always. Might be people pushing? But I think time and shit plastic. Bought three boxes from big box about 10+ years ago for Reno. Have some left over but they all seem to break. Rooms sunlight or temperatures don’t seem to matter.

Now I don’t know who’s brand to buy as most are just from same factory, like light bulbs used to be.
I'm a fan of Leviton or Pass&Seymore.

Do you live with Macho Man Randy Savage?

I'm a fan of Leviton or Pass&Seymore.

Do you live with Macho Man Randy Savage?
These might be Leviton. If so need to get wife to email from work. They will step up…or at least used to. If on sale crap then ya, name brand time.

Guess that means you agree it’s plastic?

My son is bigger than me. I’m 6’6” and my perfect weight was 220…long ago. Doesn’t take much to break puny human. (Hulk voice)

Who ever wired my garage ran the fluorescent lights off the garage gfci. Im going to replace the fixtures w led pancakes. They trip the gfci randomly in the winter which is super handy since the overhead door motors are on the same circuit.
just like the super useful switch in the garage at my old place. you turn off the switch to shut off the garage lights, and you also turn off the garage opener which would quickly forget its settings. i ended up taping that switch to the on position after having to reconfigure the garage door a half dozen times.
yeah, that's my concern with #12. shit is heavy, and all the circuit breakers here are 15 amp minus the one that runs the subpanel for all the appliances. no sense is having a conductor that can support significantly more amperage than the circuit breaker can handle.

So, with the 20 amp outlets, what's with the horizontal prong? are there any male plugs that actually utilize that prong?

View attachment 19053View attachment 19054View attachment 19055

wtf lol i've punched switches and broken the boxes loose in the wall, never have i seen a switch break like that.

just like the super useful switch in the garage at my old place. you turn off the switch to shut off the garage lights, and you also turn off the garage opener which would quickly forget its settings. i ended up taping that switch to the on position after having to reconfigure the garage door a half dozen times.

yeah, that's my concern with #12. shit is heavy, and all the circuit breakers here are 15 amp minus the one that runs the subpanel for all the appliances. no sense is having a conductor that can support significantly more amperage than the circuit breaker can handle.

So, with the 20 amp outlets, what's with the horizontal prong? are there any male plugs that actually utilize that prong?
It just Identifies it as a 20 amp and 20 amp male plugs have that L on a pin...15 amp is different than a 20 and is different than a 30 and 40 amp is different than a 30

a 20 amp male plug will have 1 vertical (the hot one, signifying 120v) and 1 horizontal (the neutral, signifying 20a). This prevents you from plugging a 20 amp poece of equipment into a device rated for only 15. Doesn't matter if you plug a 15 amp piece of equipment into a 20 amp recept so the 20 amp recepts accept both.

This is a 20 amp 120v cord end
Screenshot_20230827_132818_Chrome.jpg
This is a 15 amp 240v cord end
Screenshot_20230827_132623_Chrome.jpg
A 20 amp 240 volt plug will have 2 horizontal blades.

Last edited:
Yeah you guys run a higher voltage, correct? Higher voltage equates to less amperage. For some reason I'm thinking 347v or something weird like that. That could be Australia. We're almost strictly 120/240v single phase services for residential.

347 volt is for commercial applications not home owners.

It just Identifies it as a 20 amp and 20 amp male plugs have that L on a pin...15 amp is different than a 20 and is different than a 30 and 40 amp is different than a 30
Well, yeah lol current is not all the same. Good to clarify though. I can't think of any reason residential would run higher than 20 amp though? At least in the US, afaik everything residential is predominantly 200 amp service, and the power companies raise an eyebrow if someone requests higher than that.
a 20 amp male plug will have 1 vertical (the hot one, signifying 120v) and 1 horizontal (the neutral, signifying 20a). This prevents you from plugging a 20 amp poece of equipment into a device rated for only 15. Doesn't matter if you plug a 15 amp piece of equipment into a 20 amp recept so the 20 amp recepts accept both.

This is a 20 amp 120v cord end
View attachment 19075
This is a 15 amp 240v cord end
View attachment 19077
A 20 amp 240 volt plug will have 2 horizontal blades.
Ah ok. That's what I was wondering. Suppose I could've googled it. I've just never seen a plug that uses that horizontal portion of the plug, though I've seen em a lot in commercial buildings

alright punched a hole for the last keystone panel (for now), and found a couple pieces of drywall just floating the cavity. I'm wondering if maybe they're there to protect an electrical line? is it common to do that? they pretty well fuckered my plans for the kind of box i'm using because i can't push the box back far enough with those damn things in there.

alright punched a hole for the last keystone panel (for now), and found a couple pieces of drywall just floating the cavity. I'm wondering if maybe they're there to protect an electrical line? is it common to do that? they pretty well fuckered my plans for the kind of box i'm using because i can't push the box back far enough with those damn things in there.
Maybe an old wall and the one you're installing the box i to is an addition? Are they loose? Just cut really easy and have a look-see.

Maybe an old wall and the one you're installing the box i to is an addition? Are they loose? Just cut really easy and have a look-see.
They were scraps that someone decided it was more convenient to bury them in a wall than to toss em. Fuckers lol

A little bit of prying and they scooted over enough to get this wrapped up.
PXL_20230903_205600156.jpg

That's why I asked if they were loose 🤣
Yeah right away I knew they were loose, I was like WTF is this some kind of shade tree electrician shit or was someone just being a lazy asshole? Turned out to be the latter. I too am being a lazy asshole by leaving thwm in there 🤣

Yeah right away I knew they were loose, I was like WTF is this some kind of shade tree electrician shit or was someone just being a lazy asshole? Turned out to be the latter. I too am being a lazy asshole by leaving thwm in there 🤣
Better than finding a piss bottle in there 🤣

No I've never seen it as protection. We have to use metal plates over studs where our holes we pull the wire through are too close to the front of the stud in residential wiring. So the drywall screws don't go through the wire but I've no idea why it would be hanging between studs

Added insulation😆😆
I'll be honest, when I cut in a new device, the piece to be removed just gets shoved into the hole. If I'm on a commercial site, it's pretty much a trash receptacle before the box gets installed. Out of sight, out of mind 🙄.

Residential work calls for a trash bucket and a vacuum, though.

Back
Top Bottom