⚡Electrical Help Thread⚡

I'll be honest, when I cut in a new device, the piece to be removed just gets shoved into the hole. If I'm on a commercial site, it's pretty much a trash receptacle before the box gets installed. Out of sight, out of mind 🙄.

Residential work calls for a trash bucket and a vacuum, though.
Given it was three roughly 16"x20" pieces, I couldn't write it off as receptacle cuts lol that's what threw me. I was more surprised by the size than I was that they were there. Hence the question about is this normal? I'm more scared for when I pull the drywall down eventually. That piss bottle awaits

They were scraps that someone decided it was more convenient to bury them in a wall than to toss em. Fuckers lol

A little bit of prying and they scooted over enough to get this wrapped up.
View attachment 19878
Be aware I’ve had lightning jump from Bell line to network cable in the same box. Not sure if you can do anything about it. I have six stainless steel silos across the street. We get hit about once every five years. Power line, Bell line, and cable tv line.

Be aware I’ve had lightning jump from Bell line to network cable in the same box. Not sure if you can do anything about it. I have six stainless steel silos across the street. We get hit about once every five years. Power line, Bell line, and cable tv line.
I recall us talking about that. All of our power and telephone lines are underground in this area, aside from the high voltage lines that Bonneville has running about an acre away from the house. So long the modem eats the voltage spike, the network should be fine. I'll be PISSED if it bleeds through into the CAT6 running into the edge router and cooks my switches. I have a fairly beefy surge protector that powers the rack, and another that powers the servers.

I did the best I could to ensure that all network and telephony lines run in separate wall cavities from any power lines. The only place that the network cables are less than 18" from electrical is in the attic, and the two that are close to power run perpendicular to it and are still about 16" away from the romex. Of course this is subject to change in the future as I install more PoE devices (cameras, access controls) but for now I think I did pretty damn good at doing things "proper."

Top one doesn't work what do I do

Go.

Haha.

These apartment people suck cock already.

Guess time to start learning electric.

@GrumpAzz

Both bottom work, top does not.

Wiring get fucked?

This shit should have been just "done" a week or two ago before we moved in here.

They won't come when they say they will.

I'll do it my fuckin self

All I know to do is turn off the breaker, or this side of it Atleast first.

Thank you for your guy's time.

Attachments

• 16941313435197009670425065755438.jpg
    16941313435197009670425065755438.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 16941313654116115470051703023956.jpg
    16941313654116115470051703023956.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 3

Go.

Haha.

@GrumpAzz

Wiring get fucked?

This shit should have been just "done" a week or two ago before we moved in here.

Is there a switch around the room that doesn't seem to do anything? A lot of places wire the top to a switch for controlling a lamp.

Let me know if that's not the case.

Go.

Haha.

@GrumpAzz

Wiring get fucked?

get an outlet tester. they're cheap and great to have around. it'll tell you what the problem is. then, send pictures of what the tester is reporting to the property manager and tell them fix it or you'll go to the housing division with the county, then the state. they'll get motivated real quick.

Is there a switch around the room that doesn't seem to do anything? A lot of places wire the top to a switch for controlling a lamp.

If not top half is shot and entire outlet needs to be replaced right? Thats what i always do anyways lol.

get an outlet tester. they're cheap and great to have around. it'll tell you what the problem is. then, send pictures of what the tester is reporting to the property manager and tell them fix it or you'll go to the housing division with the county, then the state. they'll get motivated real quick.
thanks yall.

i guess i "fixed" it on accident by flipping the breaker switches?

and or re-seating it in the outlet/socket (?)

now the top ones supply power.

and @GrumpAzz there is a switch that looks like they took out, for the patio light.

my phone died.

Attachments

• 16941323462541440013381114980784.jpg
    16941323462541440013381114980784.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
thanks yall.

i guess i "fixed" it on accident by flipping the breaker switches?

and or re-seating it in the outlet/socket (?)

now the top ones supply power.

and @GrumpAzz there is a switch that looks like they took out, for the patio light.

my phone died.
Normally they don't run seperate circuits for the top and bottom but it's possible. If all you did was switch the breaker off and back on, and that fixed the top one, something is awry.

There's a little tap between the top and bottom that will often be removed, allowing you to run a seperate circuit to each, but most of the time that's done, it's for a switched outlet. You see it in a lot of hotels so they don't have to do overhead lighting. They'll just wire the top side to the light switch for a lamp instead.

@tobis right though. Since you're renting the place, they should fix it. Photo evidence and the threat of going to the proper authorities should motivate them a little quicker.

If you really want to fix it yourself, shut those circuits off, remove the plate and outlet, then post a picture of the sides of the outlet. A picture of the wiring in the box would also be helpful. It might state somewhere in your contract that you aren't to be touching any of it though.

If not top half is shot and entire outlet needs to be replaced right? Thats what i always do anyways lol.
Yeah. If it's wired correctly and only one plug works, I wouldn't trust that with my life. That's essentially what you'd be doing because if there's a fire, your life could be on the line.

@Observer, more than likely there's a switch somewhere controlling the top side, but now that it's working, I wouldn't trust it.

Raise hell since you've got a kid living in there. An outlet that works sometimes is a potentially VERY dangerous situation. Not to mention VERY costly for them if there does happen to be some fire damage or loss of life. It's not just your apartment at risk. It's all the adjoining apartments as well.

Yeah. If it's wired correctly and only one plug works, I wouldn't trust that with my life. That's essentially what you'd be doing because if there's a fire, your life could be on the line.
I agree completely.

We have threatened them already under Oklahoma tenant laws, they finally came today after rescheduling 3 times.

Was told maintenance would be in and out today, never showed up.

I am getting furious waiting on these people so that we actually MOVE IN and put out stuff up.

Still waiting for carpets to be done again, can not get the black off the vinyl.

Master bedroom water pressure is Nil.

Also, I thought that was fuckin weird that resetting the break made the top portion work, I don't know this stuff, but I'm willing to learn it of course.

And these fuckers should be the ones fixing it.

I was concerned about it not being installed properly or whatever as well then since bottom worked but top didn't?

Is it possible them jamming it in there fcked with the wiring too?

Shit was sitting sideways sticking out of damn wall.

@Observer, more than likely there's a switch somewhere controlling the top side, but now that it's working, I wouldn't trust it.

Raise hell since you've got a kid living in there. An outlet that works sometimes is a potentially VERY dangerous situation. Not to mention VERY costly for them if there does happen to be some fire damage or loss of life. It's not just your apartment at risk. It's all the adjoining apartments as well.
Yes sir

Agreed.

Appreciate you gentlemen

Well the missus got pissed off with me fucking with shit lol so I guess I'm done for now.

Top outlets are working but I'm skeptical and I'll bring it up to her again that an outlet half working is/can be serious shit/problem and to get them to Atleast fucking fix that shit asap.

I was concerned about it not being installed properly or whatever as well then since bottom worked but top didn't?

Is it possible them jamming it in there fcked with the wiring too?

Shit was sitting sideways sticking out of damn wall.
It's possible. I would just shut that circuit off in case it's not pigtailed and is just wired in to the top and out from the bottom. That's the "handyman special" way of doing things. The best practice is to tie the in and out together with a third wire (pigtail) to the outlet.

If you need that circuit, just continually monitor the temperature of the outlets in question. If there's an issue, it'll be warm to the touch. That's bad.

It being sideways is just shoddy workmanship, which is technically against code, but you'll never see an inspector flag it.

my bigger fear is by you jamming it, you've created a cross short and that top outlet may or may not be acting like a load, which given enough time could potentially cause a fire. i'm not an electrician by any means but again, i know enough about circuits and how shit with DC circuits works, it can't be that different from AC circuits. I also know that electrical components don't intermittently fail. if they're bad, they're bad. if they work sometimes, there's a significant issue somewhere else either before or after the load and that issue could be catastrophic if fucked with enough.

I'm with @GrumpAzz . if you're able to, shut the breaker off for that circuit and leave it until they fix it. Start documenting EVERYTHING. You may need to get the state AG involved.

my bigger fear is by you jamming it, you've created a cross short and that top outlet may or may not be acting like a load, which given enough time could potentially cause a fire. i'm not an electrician by any means but again, i know enough about circuits and how shit with DC circuits works, it can't be that different from AC circuits. I also know that electrical components don't intermittently fail. if they're bad, they're bad. if they work sometimes, there's a significant issue somewhere else either before or after the load and that issue could be catastrophic if fucked with enough.
Hot is positive. Neutral is negative. Not exactly but yeah, you got the jist. They started us out on DC fundamentals in my first year of college because it covers the basics.

I admittedly paid very little attention to that first semester. I didn't give a crap about transistors and diodes and yadda yadda.

DC hurts more but AC fucks up your heart.

Hot is positive. Neutral is negative. Not exactly but yeah, you got the jist. They started us out on DC fundamentals in my first year of college because it covers the basics.

I admittedly paid very little attention to that first semester. I didn't give a crap about transistors and diodes and yadda yadda.

DC hurts more but AC fucks up your heart.
yeah, just because some asshole decided to let the current flow both directions instead of from source to earth lol if Tesla had succeeded in that race, we'd be almost completely on DC power.

Oh I wasn't that rough with it, I just unscrewed it, reseated it, screwed it back in and put the face plate over

It looked like they jammed it in there.

Ok heard thanks man.

It's possible. I would just shut that circuit off in case it's not pigtailed and is just wired in to the top and out from the bottom. That's the "handyman special" way of doing things. The best practice is to tie the in and out together with a third wire (pigtail) to the outlet.

If you need that circuit, just continually monitor the temperature of the outlets in question. If there's an issue, it'll be warm to the touch. That's bad.

It being sideways is just shoddy workmanship, which is technically against code, but you'll never see an inspector flag it.
I'm not using it I'll just wait

Taking your guys advice for sure thank you.

Much appreciated it.

it's good to learn some of this now because statistically you'll be buying your first house in the next ten years. you don't want to go into home ownership completely ignorant to what tend to be relatively minor maintenance tasks but at the same time, you're renting and it's the landlord's responsibility to make sure the property is safe and habitable. electrical issues and filth from the previous tenants are both issues they should've resolved before they rented the apartment out again.

it's good to learn some of this now because statistically you'll be buying your first house in the next ten years. you don't want to go into home ownership completely ignorant to what tend to be relatively minor maintenance tasks but at the same time, you're renting and it's the landlord's responsibility to make sure the property is safe and habitable. electrical issues and filth from the previous tenants are both issues they should've resolved before they rented the apartment out again.
Exactly, well put.

And again I like to learn so appreciate the knowledge

First thing that popped in my head lol! I'll never understand breaking the connector tab and running a switch for a "random lamp" like that. My house is like that.

First thing that popped in my head lol! I'll never understand breaking the connector tab and running a switch for a "random lamp" like that. My house is like that.
Yeah it looks like they left the fuckin patio light out there, took the fuckin switch out and put a bare face plate over it....

Low income area apartments I guess...yet rent is 995.

Back
Top Bottom