Hey partner your first leaves are burning! what's up with that?

We got something out of whack here. Please back the light down asap while we figure this out.
Man I noticed that too.
I've added nothing but 5.5ph RO/DI. I used the same jug that I do my mixing in when I added the water to the tupperware. I wonder if I didn't rinse it well enough after my last batch of nutes.

Here are the plugs I used. I believe the brand was Hydrofarm. Something a friend brought me from a hydro store in CO
20230506_100218.jpg

Last edited:
Hey partner your first leaves are burning! what's up with that?

We got something out of whack here. Please back the light down asap while we figure this out.
Also.. I can't turn the light down any lower than 10% so I raised it up as high as I can get it. I could put a different lamp in there for some weaker light.

Here they are this morning. The 3rd made it's appearance last night. Should I help it straighten out? I planned on letting it do the work. The second pic is the one from yesterday with the burned tips. They look a little better this morning, right?
20230511_043238.jpg20230511_043333.jpg20230511_043346.jpg

Last edited:
Nope let it do its thing unless it gets stuck for a while. Having some resistance when it pops is a good thing to help it get rid of the seed hull.

It does look better. Let’s watch that one close. I can’t explain what happened. I never like that feeling.

Nope let it do its thing unless it gets stuck for a while. Having some resistance when it pops is a good thing to help it get rid of the seed hull.

It does look better. Let’s watch that one close. I can’t explain what happened. I never like that feeling.
Oh I'm watching them all closely 🤣

So as they progress.. what signs should I be looking for when I'm choosing which one makes the cut?

Great question. Not a simple answer.

Some folks throw away seedlings that get too leggy. But that is the fault of the grower, not the genetics 99% of the time.

If possible, you veg them all and pick the best one when you flip. This is a great time to take clones too. You are looking at structure, vigor, overall health, size, etc. For example, if you have one that is throwing 3 bladed leaves and the others are not, that one typically would get culled.

The other big advantage we have in RDWC is we can evaluate the root structure too as part of the criteria. All those factors together are what help me decide.

Something went wrong with my dehuey and the RH got up to 75% in my tent. I have it full open now trying to get it down and figure out what happened. Man, the smell in my basement now - wow. Nothing like the smell of waking up plants in full flower to start your day! I'm a full believer that terpenes need a good night period to be the best. They do not smell this strong in the evenings.

Great question. Not a simple answer.

Some folks throw away seedlings that get too leggy. But that is the fault of the grower, not the genetics 99% of the time.

If possible, you veg them all and pick the best one when you flip. This is a great time to take clones too. You are looking at structure, vigor, overall health, size, etc. For example, if you have one that is throwing 3 bladed leaves and the others are not, that one typically would get culled.

The other big advantage we have in RDWC is we can evaluate the root structure too as part of the criteria. All those factors together are what help me decide.

Something went wrong with my dehuey and the RH got up to 75% in my tent. I have it full open now trying to get it down and figure out what happened. Man, the smell in my basement now - wow. Nothing like the smell of waking up plants in full flower to start your day! I'm a full believer that terpenes need a good night period to be the best. They do not smell this strong in the evenings.
So when we're talking about my particular situation, ixnay any 3 bladers and just look for overall health and appearance. More or less the prettiest one. Then what.. root growth coming out of the plug?

What stage are you in? I think my lung room humidity runs around 40-45%. Hopefully my inline fan can keep my tents humidity in check without the need for a dehumidifier.

Reactions: Max
Is there a reason you cannot run all a little longer? More than just roots emerging from the plugs?

If no, you will have to pick from the best based on what they show you in the first week or so. Forget the 3 bladed thing, you won't have enough time to get there. You will be alright tho. Just thinking maybe hold on to the discards for now...

I'm well into flower. And I have a dedicated AC and Dehewy both sucking water out of the air. It's all good tho, I'm getting it sorted. For you with 1 plant and no CO2, you may not need one if your lung room stays low like that. Only need one if you overwhelm your lung room in your case. In mine, I'm sealed so no lung room to help me.

I'm a full believer that terpenes need a good night period to be the best. They do not smell this strong in the evenings.
...and confirmed by my x-mother-in-law's (daughters grandmothers) fresh cut culinary herb farm. All our cutting was done within 2 hours of sunrise. It was about taste/flavor/aroma all being at peak just after sunrise!

Is there a reason you cannot run all a little longer? More than just roots emerging from the plugs?

If no, you will have to pick from the best based on what they show you in the first week or so. Forget the 3 bladed thing, you won't have enough time to get there. You will be alright tho. Just thinking maybe hold on to the discards for now...

I'm well into flower. And I have a dedicated AC and Dehewy both sucking water out of the air. It's all good tho, I'm getting it sorted. For you with 1 plant and no CO2, you may not need one if your lung room stays low like that. Only need one if you overwhelm your lung room in your case. In mine, I'm sealed so no lung room to help me.
I was under the impression that once roots started to emerge from the plug, time is of the essence. I guess I assumed the less time the roots are exposed to air, the better. Thinking I couldn't really submerge them to keep the roots moist without drowing the seedling. What would you suggest for my situation? Can they just stay in the little cups they're in with roots exposed? I'll let them run as long a I can before choosing, I'm just not sure the correct course of action.

Reactions: Max
I'd say the one we're concerned with looks a lot better after today. It's the first pic and the one on the left. I'm proud of them all and am not looking forward to tossing two of them. 4 out of 4 of the seeds popped so far so that's pretty cool. I'm chalking that first on up as user error.
20230511_174337.jpgScreenshot_20230511_175145_Gallery.jpg20230511_174343.jpg

Shower thoughts are often the best..

I'll order some more hydroton, move the pods to new netpots, fill em with hydrotron and set them in a tote, similar to what I'm doing now. Top dress with RO and keep an inch or so of water in the bottom. I think that will give me a lot more time to choose the winner. Whatcha think about that idea @Moe.Red ?

Sorry bud, I kinda spaced out on your thread with all the goings on.

Yes, they are leggy. A little more light would be in order, as long as it does not cause burns again. I wish I knew what happened there on the first one, but it looks like it is recovering well.

Blue light is best.

You can burry these in hydroton to the point the stalk gets more support if needed.

A little breeze to flex them back and forth will help to strengthen them.

Watch your watering now while very young also.
There is little room for error, but I like keep my watering to bare minimum as seedlings.
Leggy seedlings is the most common thing I see when people start up.
I have learned over time to keep my seedlings short, but who knows how it will go this next time when I use sponges like you.

Sorry bud, I kinda spaced out on your thread with all the goings on.

Yes, they are leggy. A little more light would be in order, as long as it does not cause burns again. I wish I knew what happened there on the first one, but it looks like it is recovering well.

Blue light is best.

You can burry these in hydroton to the point the stalk gets more support if needed.

A little breeze to flex them back and forth will help to strengthen them.

There is little room for error, but I like keep my watering to bare minimum as seedlings.
I have learned over time to keep my seedlings short, but who knows how it will go this next time when I use sponges like you.
No worries Moe, I managed to do nothing pretty well in your absence. Strictly observation 🤣

Here's a little video explaining how I've been watering, Steam.
View attachment 20230514_092121.mp4

The sponges kind of surprised me honestly, granted my last one was sort of a dud. I soaked them in RO for 5 hours, placed the seed and plugged the hole, all just a week ago. To so much growth so fast has me tickled. Next round I'll have a more specific dome for the seedlings but right now the tent is empty and I'm a state away in every direction from any kind of growing supplies.

Noticed a root on the late bloomer so I improvised with the hydroton I have on hand while I wait for the order of it to arrive. I rinsed it several times with RO since it was the pebbles I've had in my system from the get-go. Ironically, the late bloomer had nearly a 4 inch taproot whereas the other 2 had taproots of 1-2 inches. First pic is the one with the original tip burn. Last of the singles is the late bloomer. 1, 2 and 3, respecfully.
20230514_131635.jpg20230514_131657.jpg20230514_131704.jpg20230514_131811.jpg
20230514_122450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom