Is there a wrong time to top? Like.. lights go out in two hours. Does that make a difference? My inexperienced opinion says it would help to have the lights off shortly after her first trim like letting off a little on that gas pedal.

Looks good! Xlent job! I meant to tell you that when you fim, 75% is kind of the golden rule for removal, but you got it.. spot on! You just created three main colas where there was only one 🙂

My wife said it looked like the toilet on a space ship when she first saw it lol. I should write some dirty limericks on the walls w a sharpie.
You need an old Hudson’s Bay or Sears catalog too. The old ones had the news print type paper IIRC. Used to use it as TP. 🤣

If laws changed you’d just need a button to lower things. But hang an out of order sign so a 👮‍♂️ don’t use it. 🤣

Here we are this evening... she's getting BIG
View attachment 4998
So if I'm wanting to top this gal, I just pluck this little bunch off? Should I use some snips instead? Should I wait another day or so? Any of ya'll fuck around with FIMming?
View attachment 4999
Yes sir. Topping and FIMing are how I started. LST followed. SCROG after. (CG’s SCROG method I should not LST first.)

There once was a farmer named Beanz
He grew cannabis by his own means
He said as a joke
As he let out a toke
The best pot is all in the Genes.

original-1-1528746879.jpg
How did I miss this dude haha. Perfect.

Why not try to FIM? Get the experience? If you get too much, oops you topped it.

FIMming requires snips that have been cleaned (iso) because that is some sensitive tissue right there. You basically want to cut into undifferentiated stem cells.
My wife just used her finger nails. 🤣

I had her bring home some wipes after that, they use at hospital. Small for needles and just that sort of stuff Moe’s scaring me with. 🤣

I’m relaxing some things more, like it’s the third child 7 years later. But some things you still need to bubble wrap. 😂

Looks good! Xlent job! I meant to tell you that when you fim, 75% is kind of the golden rule for removal, but you got it.. spot on! You just created three main colas where there was only one 🙂
Well I attempted to top her after reading your comment about topping twice, then FIM. Maybe I didn't cut low enough? I tried to leave the stipules untouched.

PH was 5.9 last night and just hit 5.5. No strange smells in the res. Smells kinda like fresh dirt. I'll hit it with some UP here in a bit, just wanted to make a quick mention of it here. What do you think @Moe.Red and @Aqua Man?

Edit - The air pump is in the lung room which likely got pretty warm today. Could that have affected it in some way? I'm doubtful.

PH was 5.9 last night and just hit 5.5. No strange smells in the res. Smells kinda like fresh dirt. I'll hit it with some UP here in a bit, just wanted to make a quick mention of it here. What do you think @Moe.Red and @Aqua Man?
Also.. forgot to turn on the AC this morning and the tent hit 79 before before the miss noticed and kicked it on. No big deal, eh?

Edit - The air pump is in the lung room which likely got pretty warm today. Could that have affected it in some way? I'm doubtful.
Rez temps? Water soirce?

Resevoir temps have stayed at 69-70.
Water source - 5.5 ph RO/DI water containing the following.
View attachment 5149
Someone correct mebif im wrong here but derived from potassium silicate… i imagine the silicate is low and the silicon is high… meaning not really a good buffer for PH. On top of that low ppm is less stable. But i would go changing stuff because @Moe.Red has been working with you and he uses all this stuff.

Just my opinion on the why

My wife just used her finger nails. 🤣

I had her bring home some wipes after that, they use at hospital. Small for needles and just that sort of stuff Moe’s scaring me with. 🤣

I’m relaxing some things more, like it’s the third child 7 years later. But some things you still need to bubble wrap. 😂
I definitely keep things cleaner than most. I'm sure most of what I do is unnecessary. Fingernails work too.

Resevoir temps have stayed at 69-70.
Water source - 5.5 ph RO/DI water containing the following.
View attachment 5149
Great notes helps a lot.

Everything looks really good to me on the plant last pic you posted. But here is where things get a little weird. There is more than one way to grow hydro.

Smoke grows trees and never gets much higher in PPM than where you are now. But have you seen his plants? They aren't lacking anything but some hedge trimmers to knock them down to 6' so you don't need a ladder to work on them.

GH will recommend as much as 1200PPM at this stage.

I have tried very high PPMs. More often than not, I mess something up on some plant especially when running multi strains. Usually a burn situation is the result if you have problems that high.

I've had strains that show stress on low PPMs. I tried for a bit to run 250PPM in flower on this grow and I adjusted back up to the 500 range based on what the plants were displaying. It did cause lots of color.

PH will be less stable at lower PPMs. But I've still never had troubles keeping it in the zone with my system. It's not very different than yours.

So lets figure out what these plants and this system needs to be optimized. First - you were at 250 PPM 2 days ago. What are you now? Are you tracking if any water is being consumed?

Someone correct mebif im wrong here but derived from potassium silicate… i imagine the silicate is low and the silicon is high… meaning not really a good buffer for PH. On top of that low ppm is less stable. But i would go changing stuff because @Moe.Red has been working with you and he uses all this stuff.

Just my opinion on the why
Let me find a link for you. There is one on science in hydroponics.

Silica (SiO2)…………. 53% Potassium (K2O)........32% Derived from Potassium Silicate

I'm looking for a short answer on science in hydroponics where I first read this, but Agsil and PH Down together create mono-silicic acid which is both the highest recommended buffer and is plant available.

I'll keep reading and try to condense it down to a couple paragraphs. the whole story requires reading several posts.

Last edited:
Great notes helps a lot.

Everything looks really good to me on the plant last pic you posted. But here is where things get a little weird. There is more than one way to grow hydro.

Smoke grows trees and never gets much higher in PPM than where you are now. But have you seen his plants? They aren't lacking anything but some hedge trimmers to knock them down to 6' so you don't need a ladder to work on them.

GH will recommend as much as 1200PPM at this stage.

I have tried very high PPMs. More often than not, I mess something up on some plant especially when running multi strains. Usually a burn situation is the result if you have problems that high.

I've had strains that show stress on low PPMs. I tried for a bit to run 250PPM in flower on this grow and I adjusted back up to the 500 range based on what the plants were displaying. It did cause lots of color.

PH will be less stable at lower PPMs. But I've still never had troubles keeping it in the zone with my system. It's not very different than yours.

So lets figure out what these plants and this system needs to be optimized. First - you were at 250 PPM 2 days ago. What are you now? Are you tracking if any water is being consumed?
Very little water being consumed(less than a gallon). Ppms still at 250. PH was 5.4 when we got back from the park. I hit her with 6ml of UP a few minutes ago. Here's how she looks this evening. Still sexy if I do say so myself. Newer set of leaves vs older set at the end there.
20230531_194902.jpg20230531_194912.jpg20230531_194938.jpg20230531_195105.jpg20230531_195126.jpg

that plant needs nothing but time.

Since this is your first run with this plumbing, is it possible you have any contamination that could effect water chemistry?

Next time you clean your PH probe, can you see if the stuff on there grows if you feed it? Like a home made Petri dish? I'm assuming no microscope.

Since you already adjusted PH, lets look again tomorrow and see the trend. If down again, I'm recommending we add Agsil. This is best done outside the res, I think we talked about this?

I definitely keep things cleaner than most. I'm sure most of what I do is unnecessary. Fingernails work too.
Sure you have less problems than most too. And are quicker to learn why.

It’s just sounds intimidating sometimes. How many times did i see people’s eyes glaze over when talking shop or new tech toys? 🤣 I’ll go away now.

Back
Top Bottom