One question I have as I transition to the flower cycle. Lights are still off right now, but the tent is still running its daytime settings.

Should I run the tent at it's lower temp and humidity until I kick my light back on?
Depends who you ask but 25c & 55RH is about right lights on. A bit lower lights off.

Don’t think I’ve hit the mark in weeks. 😔

But still doing okay. High humidity is my main issue.

Depends who you ask but 25c & 55RH is about right lights on. A bit lower lights off.

Don’t think I’ve hit the mark in weeks. 😔

But still doing okay. High humidity is my main issue.
I reset all my automations so that until the 12/12 cycle starts, I'm still using the lights on lights off settings. So it's sitting around 70 and 50%. Lights on I run 76 and 55%.

I’m still a newb but that sounds perfect to me. The heavies will weigh in shortly I’m sure. 👍
Noobs Unite!

Yeah Aqua got me straightened out a bit back. I ran seedling settings for far too long. Been having trouble with the humidity lately and grabbed a 30 pint dehuey yesterday that's working great, for now.

I'm gonna have some questions when it comes to switching over. Like.. do I go straight to a higher intensity on the light? Should I gradually increase the vpd, and when to start?

I've been running close to 14k lux for 18 hours on. Does that translate to approximately 21k lux for 12 hours?

14k x 18h = 252k
252k / 12h = 21k

Is this math bogus?

Noobs Unite!

Yeah Aqua got me straightened out a bit back. I ran seedling settings for far too long. Been having trouble with the humidity lately and grabbed a 30 pint dehuey yesterday that's working great, for now.

I'm gonna have some questions when it comes to switching over. Like.. do I go straight to a higher intensity on the light? Should I gradually increase the vpd, and when to start?

I've been running close to 14k lux for 18 hours on. Does that translate to approximately 21k lux for 12 hours?

14k x 18h = 252k
252k / 12h = 21k

Is this math bogus?
I'd use DLI to determine how much Lux the girls need each week.

I don’t go to deep on the math. Since my setups are identical other than the light I just use my meter to match my good lights settings on the cheaper 450w.

I set the good light to its proper hight and %, then read the LUX. Then set the 450w to the same.

IIRC I’m at 100% ATM because we had a good 24hrs but will go back to 75% as soon as lights on due to humidity. Think that was 50000 LUX. (I set meter to x100 so easier to read) I bump between 500 - 800 LUX depending on stage, temp’s & humidity.

Again…double check with the gurus before any action.

I'd use DLI to determine how much Lux the girls need each week.
DLI isn't something I've looked into so I'll check it out. I've only been checking lux and referencing back to Aqua.
I don’t go to deep on the math. Since my setups are identical other than the light I just use my meter to match my good lights settings on the cheaper 450w.

Again…double check with the gurus before any action.
Aqua set me on a good basepoint a while back and I've been slowly increasing. I'm sure he'll be poking in anytime, now.

Plant seems to be growing well. I backed it off when I thought I saw mag deficiency. I was at 28% last night and have it set to come on at 30% at 530pm.

Yeah bump light to about 25k lux and then let them grow into it. In a few weeks as they grow they will probably be sitting at about 40-60k lux and thats about where you will want to be then.

When flipping just switch to 12/12 and the time schedule you want… no special needs there

Yeah bump light to about 25k lux and then let them grow into it. In a few weeks as they grow they will probably be sitting at about 40-60k lux and thats about where you will want to be then.

When flipping just switch to 12/12 and the time schedule you want… no special needs there
You got it dude.

I only had a little confusion about flipping times because I'm wanting to go from lights on during the day to lights on at night. Without a transition, that meant either a 19 hour dark period or a 25 hour light period. I WENT WITH THE DARK PERIOD BECAUSE IT WAS A SHORTER INTERVAL. I didn't mean to yell that.

You got it dude.

I only had a little confusion about flipping times because I'm wanting to go from lights on during the day to lights on at night. Without a transition, that meant either a 19 hour dark period or a 25 hour light period. I WENT WITH THE DARK PERIOD BECAUSE IT WAS A SHORTER INTERVAL. I didn't mean to yell that.
Yup that works…. Now get ready for some explosive growth.

Should he follow the DLI chart to make sure he's in range at any given week?
I always go by the plants as charts are only guidelines… with this being his first grow numbers are very conservative through veg so he is flipping with very healthy plants… things will start to ramp up here shortly.

In order to keep them healthy ot needs to ramp up slowly over the next 2 weeks and keeping an eye on any stresses to make adjustments.

Its not worth pushing plants to hard and the DLI we often see recommended is from experienced growers with familiar genetics, co2 and dialed in rooms. You just can’t compare that to a new grower with lessor equipment. I honestly feel most growers are giving to much light these days in an effort to push the plants hard for a tiny gain but if you light stress them you way worse off and it will hurt you more.

TLDR: let the plants tell you what they want. If using DLI recommendations you probably want to go about 75% of recommendations until you learn your grow setup and the genetics. A little but less light is far better than a little to much because in flower they don’t grow as many new leaves so it’s important to maintain healthy ones.

I always go by the plants as charts are only guidelines… with this being his first grow numbers are very conservative through veg so he is flipping with very healthy plants… things will start to ramp up here shortly.

In order to keep them healthy ot needs to ramp up slowly over the next 2 weeks and keeping an eye on any stresses to make adjustments.

Its not worth pushing plants to hard and the DLI we often see recommended is from experienced growers with familiar genetics, co2 and dialed in rooms. You just can’t compare that to a new grower with lessor equipment. I honestly feel most growers are giving to much light these days in an effort to push the plants hard for a tiny gain but if you light stress them you way worse off and it will hurt you more.

TLDR: let the plants tell you what they want. If using DLI recommendations you probably want to go about 75% of recommendations until you learn your grow setup and the genetics. A little but less light is far better than a little to much because in flower they don’t grow as many new leaves so it’s important to maintain healthy ones.
The rough calculations I used showed me at about 10 DLI and the charts suggest more than 40 🤣. Plant likes it and there's good root mass so I'm not straying from this path. I like taking it easy, man.

I ran this chart almost to the letter and it worked out well for me. I probably could have run them a little harder but I tried to be conservative.

DLI.png

Try photone, it's like tent buddy
I downloaded that in the very beginning but it wasn't accurate for my device. I downloaded it again and it doesn't say that this time. I'll check on the accuracy according to the factory info on my light when I get home.

Right now it's showing the sun as >3000 ppfd

I downloaded that in the very beginning but it wasn't accurate for my device. I downloaded it again and it doesn't say that this time. I'll check on the accuracy according to the factory info on my light when I get home.

My plants seemed to like "ppfd meter" more than photone. I had both for a while and they read different. Worth a download and look.

Also has lux...DLI and all that

Last edited:

You need to make the diffuser i think for that app

You need to make the diffuser i think for that app
Only for iphone. The android version actually has a detection feature in case you don't realize & try to put a filter on it it warns you to take it off.

I also have found the ppfd meter app to be pretty accurate. The one thing I have found is that it seems to be more accurate for me if I set it to natural sunlight as opposed to full spectrum led. Set to the sunlight mode it almost perfectly aligns with the PAR map from my lights manufacturer. Also from my understanding all the apps are pretty inaccurate at measuring blurple lights, just FYI.

Only for iphone. The android version actually has a detection feature in case you don't realize & try to put a filter on it it warns you to take it off.

I also have found the ppfd meter app to be pretty accurate. The one thing I have found is that it seems to be more accurate for me if I set it to natural sunlight as opposed to full spectrum led. Set to the sunlight mode it almost perfectly aligns with the PAR map from my lights manufacturer. Also from my understanding all the apps are pretty inaccurate at measuring blurple lights, just FYI.
Yeah photone was way off, according to the manufacturer, when I tried it back before my plant was going. I'll check both and compare, tonight.

I'm not overly concerned as I'm not planning on really pushing the plant. I'll keep bumping it up until she lets me know it's too much.

Back
Top Bottom