you had me at useful tool.

Would a full size refrigerator or a chest freezer be a good doner? The electronics are easy.

This guy did a much larger wine cooler with glass door for $200

This thing looks slick too. I don't know if I can do the programming he's talking about, though. His graph also shows upper 60's which I'm able to accomplish.

Alright. I'll have to think about this some more. Don't get too involved just yet. I'm gonna look at this again. If you build one, I'll buy it. Just wait a bit before you start. Not sure if my old ranger could make it that far to haul a full sized fridge back.
What might you have already? You are handy, I can send you the parts for you to install if I do this. I suppose you could even build the box out of plywood if we design it right.

Looking at that reddit post it seems pretty easy. The only difficulty is he has no dehumidification so he relies on his house AC to get rid of several pounds of water. I do that now too, but it would not work for everyone. Putting it in the garage or similar, and being able to double as a beer fridge when you are not curing would make some sense. Dunno, just spitballing.

This thing looks slick too. I don't know if I can do the programming he's talking about, though. His graph also shows upper 60's which I'm able to accomplish.
No worries I got that.

Id probably run it off a pi with a 3d printed box around it and a 7 inch touch screen. Use python to drive it. I could update your software remotely as we tweak things.

I got those parts lying around.

$600 tall compressor wine fridge. Looks perfect for this.

The rest I already have in the basement waiting for a use.
this is what you want

Koolatron 20 Bottle Wine Cooler, Black Thermoelectric Wine Fridge, 1.7 cu. ft. (48L), Compresser fridge to hard to control humidity​

$600 tall compressor wine fridge. Looks perfect for this.

The rest I already have in the basement waiting for a use.
How do you control the humidity in there?

Trying to figure out how it works. I'm guessing it does not exchange air with the room, is that correct?
I wish I was tech savvy.

It runs on its own software controls dewpoint and temperature.
Has a couple of thermoelectric peltier coolers ,one on the bottom of cannatrol another on back wall. Im sure there is some kind of heating device inside also for temps. Has vapour drainage at rear with catch cup when drying has to be dumped a couple times in a 24 hour period.

How do you control the humidity in there?
A combination of dehumidification via the cooling coil in the fridge and humidification probably with a drip on a honeycomb with a small fan blowing thru it. Probably 3D print the honeycomb and use something like a gerbil water bottle to feed it. Control it via software to turn on the fan and open a solenoid valve to let a little water on the honeycomb if it gets too dry. Probably would not come on much, maybe in the garage in winter. Could be useful for long term storage and curing tho.

Based on my freeze drier, I'll bet the water that drains off is pretty stinky.

Start at page 24

I get it. Pinpoint control in any environment.

yep, it was also a dual zone for red and white wine so i think that's how they make that happen easier.

i wish i could hav used all the electronics for it because it had cool lighting but the thermostat would only go up so far and i needed it to 75* so i tore out all the compressor stuff, it didn't work anyway, then i kept the heater in place and used it with a new thermostat. for bud purposes you would never need it that pinpoint.

you could just get a small fridge and use that... even has a freezer for seeds!!!

Has a couple of thermoelectric peltier coolers ,one on the bottom of cannatrol another on back wall. Im sure there is some kind of heating device inside also for temps. Has vapour drainage at rear with catch cup when drying has to be dumped a couple times in a 24 hour period.
Is it set and forget? What's the sponge and water cup for?

You have to dump the water collection when drying twice in 24 hour period. Sponge sits in cup you put on botttom shelf of cannatrol on second day of drying and leave it in there threw drying curing and storage . Just keeps moisture inside cannatrol i have it set at 61 percent humidity if it doesnt have this moisture will pull from the buds

I wish I was tech savvy.
Do you agree with this?

the 60-60 myth.

He says the optimum drying temp is 68* and a 54* dewpoint. He doesn't state it but that means 61% Humidity.

that's how I dry now and I can't get cured bud in 8 days. I suck in air from my basement which sits at 68*F and always below 40%RH virtually all year and the exhaust fan comes on at whatever I set it too, usually 60. What am I missing?

The dry takes place in a tent, I wet trim to finished size and put it in a 4x4 set up just for drying. I'll find a pic if you haven't seen it. I use a stainless rack system made for commercial kitchens.

I guess I'm asking why do you need a glass door if the temp and RH (oh, sorry, dew point lol) is correct? I could certainly tweak this tent a bit with a heater and humidifier, maybe some computer controlled fans and multiple environmental sensors for a few bux and seems like it would be the same? But does all that really take a month off the cure?

This technology was made for cheese and repurposed for cannabis. Found that interesting.

I always thought 68f and 61RH was ideal.
Many shoot for lower temps but that adds to difficulty and to lower RH if you use AC.
I am not on my best most lonely day going to try to make a system when I can buy it.
My time goes where I am most efficient.
I will be installing the AC to the room in my house and placing a humidifier in my 4x4 tent in that room.
Hoping I have a AC infinity fan and controller I can set up for RH or temp or both.
The cannatrol is in my future.
I don't want to work it, I want it to work.

Do you agree with this?

the 60-60 myth.

He says the optimum drying temp is 68* and a 54* dewpoint. He doesn't state it but that means 61% Humidity.

that's how I dry now and I can't get cured bud in 8 days. I suck in air from my basement which sits at 68*F and always below 40%RH virtually all year and the exhaust fan comes on at whatever I set it too, usually 60. What am I missing?

The dry takes place in a tent, I wet trim to finished size and put it in a 4x4 set up just for drying. I'll find a pic if you haven't seen it. I use a stainless rack system made for commercial kitchens.

I guess I'm asking why do you need a glass door if the temp and RH (oh, sorry, dew point lol) is correct? I could certainly tweak this tent a bit with a heater and humidifier, maybe some computer controlled fans and multiple environmental sensors for a few bux and seems like it would be the same? But does all that really take a month off the cure?

This technology was made for cheese and repurposed for cannabis. Found that interesting.
Damn.. I can keep my tent at 68 degrees pretty comfortably. It bounces between 66 and 70. The 61 rh was easy to hit too. And it only held up my tent for 3 days.

Is there an optimum cure temp? Once they're dried and bagged, I just stuff 'em in a dresser drawer in the back room. Low 70s.

I always thought 68f and 61RH was ideal.
Many shoot for lower temps but that adds to difficulty and to lower RH if you use AC.
I am not on my best most lonely day going to try to make a system when I can buy it.
My time goes where I am most efficient.
I will be installing the AC to the room in my house and placing a humidifier in my 4x4 tent in that room.
Hoping I have a AC infinity fan and controller I can set up for RH or temp or both.
The cannatrol is in my future.
I don't want to work it, I want it to work.
Not asking you to build one :LOL: I know you are a slacker.

Trying to figure out if it is real. I cure my dried weed for 30+ days in glass and to me it makes a night and day difference to wait.

Do you agree with this?

the 60-60 myth.

dont terps evaporate at 68F+ ?

Back
Top Bottom