Learn me about nanners

elusive

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
So my latest harvest, all of the plants ended up with nanners because my 2x4’ vivosun tent has light leaks (it’s a poor quality tent imo).

That said, I actually got viable seeds out of this, which I’m not disappointed in as the weed isn’t overwhelmed with seeds - maybe 1 or 2 per nug.

My questions are:

1.) are these seeds “feminized”?

2.) what’s the difference between stressing a plant out to make nanners vs using STS or colloidal silver?

3.) Since the seeds were created by nanners, does it mean that these seeds are highly susceptible to hermie’ing?

Thanks ya’ll!

I have yet to see a nanner, so I haven't been worrying much about light leaks. I would like to know more, though, just in case.

My opinion is they are viable seeds but more likely to herm than a stable line - not sayin you can’t get good bud from them my bro science says ya got 50/50 chance but I have no scientific proof just limited experience-

I have yet to see a nanner, so I haven't been worrying much about light leaks. I would like to know more, though, just in case.

The tent I have has some of those Velcro panels for the viewing window (really unsure why this is even necessary, but I digress), and there’s a few of them, and light escapes (and enters) through them. So they end up getting a little bit of light beyond their 12 hours during flower.

I’ve tried duct tape and gorilla tape, but because of the negative pressure, the adhesive can’t get a good grip to stay on since the surface adjusts, and eventually falls off.

The previous grow I ended up chopping a week earlier (it was still ready, just could’ve used a few more days) and I didn’t get any viable seeds and very very few white seeds.

I say that’s the cause because one of the strains I grew in there this last time, I had grown in my 4x4 (it was a clone of that one), and that never had nanners. Same conditions, same feed, etc., so the light leaks are the only thing that’s different.

My opinion is they are viable seeds but more likely to herm than a stable line - not sayin you can’t get good bud from them my bro science says ya got 50/50 chance but I have no scientific proof just limited experience-

That’s a fair take. Would these be “feminized” seeds still?

After my current grow, I’ll run a set in both tents to see what the outcome is.

In any event, I now I have a ton of gg4 x Cinderella man seeds by tf if anyone wants any 😛

The tent I have has some of those Velcro panels for the viewing window (really unsure why this is even necessary, but I digress), and there’s a few of them, and light escapes (and enters) through them. So they end up getting a little bit of light beyond their 12 hours during flower.

I’ve tried duct tape and gorilla tape, but because of the negative pressure, the adhesive can’t get a good grip to stay on since the surface adjusts, and eventually falls off.

The previous grow I ended up chopping a week earlier (it was still ready, just could’ve used a few more days) and I didn’t get any viable seeds and very very few white seeds.

I say that’s the cause because one of the strains I grew in there this last time, I had grown in my 4x4 (it was a clone of that one), and that never had nanners. Same conditions, same feed, etc., so the light leaks are the only thing that’s different.

In any event, I now I have a ton of gg4 x Cinderella man seeds by tf if anyone wants any 😛
Increases %of females but I don’t think they will be “feminized”

Increases %of females but I don’t think they will be “feminized”
Ah gotcha!
Of all the things tent makers could do to improve their tents, those viewing windows shouldn't even be on the list. They're ridiculous. I never use them. They're more trouble than they're worth.

100% agree. My 4x4 and other 2x4 doesn't have them

Yes ..I agree with mosh they will have a 50% chance of carrying the herm trait over because your not proppery reversing a female plant to change it into a full blown male with pollen sacks with no female organs which you then use that pollen on another plant that isn’t stressed.

1.) are these seeds “feminized”?

2.) what’s the difference between stressing a plant out to make nanners vs using STS or colloidal silver?

3.) Since the seeds were created by nanners, does it mean that these seeds are highly susceptible to hermie’ing?

1.) technically / genetically yes. You had female plants that partially became males. Virtually the definition of fem seeds.
2.) STS works predictably even on something stable like a landrace. It can be applied to a single branch on an otherwise completely healthy plant to stress that one branch. Nanners caused by environmental stresses happen all over the plant and are far less predictable.
3.) Depends. Really, it comes down to the definition of "highly susceptible" This is the part where answers become murky.

Clearly the parent genetics were susceptible to stress in the form of light leaks. Those genes would be passed on. Are they otherwise solid, or would heat or light stress also cause a hermie?

If you were to stop the light leaks would you have seeds in this grow? If the answer is no, then prevent light leaks when you run these new seeds and you should have all females no hermies.

Probably.

The genetics are clear, what is not is under what conditions do the parents will produce male parts.

My guess is the seeds would be fem like any other herm.
9 out of 10 are usually female as I understand.
Now regarding the tendency to herm again I would think it is strong, unless you completely believe you and stress caused the original nanners.
Just like hunting quality it [ herming] many times has the genetics as the #1 trait.

1.) technically / genetically yes. You had female plants that partially became males. Virtually the definition of fem seeds.
2.) STS works predictably even on something stable like a landrace. It can be applied to a single branch on an otherwise completely healthy plant to stress that one branch. Nanners caused by environmental stresses happen all over the plant and are far less predictable.
3.) Depends. Really, it comes down to the definition of "highly susceptible" This is the part where answers become murky.

Clearly the parent genetics were susceptible to stress in the form of light leaks. Those genes would be passed on. Are they otherwise solid, or would heat or light stress also cause a hermie?

If you were to stop the light leaks would you have seeds in this grow? If the answer is no, then prevent light leaks when you run these new seeds and you should have all females no hermies.

Probably.

The genetics are clear, what is not is under what conditions do the parents will produce male parts.

Thank you for this response. Very informative! So if I understand you right, STS and nanners only difference is predictability, otherwise create the same pollen?

My guess is the seeds would be fem like any other herm.
9 out of 10 are usually female as I understand.
Now regarding the tendency to herm again I would think it is strong, unless you completely believe you and stress caused the original nanners.
Just like hunting quality it [ herming] many times has the genetics as the #1 trait.

Right on. I believe the light leaks were the culprit. I had a silver alert clone that I took from a plant in my 4x4 (which is only a few feet away from my 2x4, so the outside environment was the same), and I have the same settings for humidity and the temps were within a 3F range of each other.

The silver alert in the 4x4 had no nanners (and neither did the 4 other plants), which is why I strongly believe it was the leaks. Granted, I could be wrong, but I don’t know what else would’ve caused it besides genetics, but if the mother plant didn’t make nanners, the clone shouldn’t either, genetically speaking.

My next 4x4 grow I’ll pop a few of these in and see how they do. I wouldn’t mind hooking folks up with some seeds, but want to make sure they’re not going to hermie by default on them.

Thank you for this response. Very informative! So if I understand you right, STS and nanners only difference is predictability, otherwise create the same pollen?
Genetically the same pollen is created. The plant only has one way to produce pollen.

The amount and quality / vitality of the pollen produced may be less in a stressed plant than in one otherwise healthy and treated with SPS.

Probably.

R u sure about the fem seeds ? I’ve ran two batches over the years and got males in both ?suppose it’s ossicle there was other pollen in there , it was early in my career

R u sure about the fem seeds ? I’ve ran two batches over the years and got males in both ?suppose it’s ossicle there was other pollen in there , it was early in my career
Could it be that what you thought was a male was actually a herm? That happens a lot.

😛
Focus:4x4 tent
My second grow hermed. I believed light leaks as well. this is what i did. is it overkill? probably. Do i have any light leak problem now? Absolutely zero.
This is black out material cut to fit. To get in the door i take off the four clothes pins, it's not a hassle like it looks. The fabric moves with the door when i open it to go in. if needed i pin the fabric to something if i need prolonged access. This run i have four different lines going, and zero herm isssues. so whether or not it is over kill is moot to me, as my herm worries are zero and i sleep well lol. I'm in this room every day, after lights off, so i had to make sure that no matter what time i'm in the room there is zero problem of light contamination.

Other shit going on in the pic, the 2x2 is a cloning tent. there is an 8" exhaust being ported outside from the 4x4. the 2x2 exhausts in the room, the light is on 5-10% for the cloning and doesn't produce much heat anyway.

Re Seeds: don't use them. The risk is too high for herm, and by the time you find out, the time spent is defeating. I put my most seeded weed through the sifter and got butt loads of kief now.

1687636596877.jpeg

It depends on what the question is.

Many years ago, some growers looked at hermaphrodite cannabis, commonly referred to as “hermies,” as a benefit. Seeds produced by hermaphroditism tend to grow out to be female plants. They’re purebred cannabis seeds that can help a grower lock in desired genetic traits.

Grabbed that as the top google result.

If the hermie trait is genetic, then it will pass that on, meaning some female and some hermies by the genetic lottery.

So yeah, you can still get pollen as the genetics influence the grow.

And that’s kind of how I’m looking at it. If my crap tent is really just breeding ground to force hermies, then I’ve found a way to keep my favorite strains on hand for zero extra cost, and not having to muck around with pollen or STS/CS.

Time to do some experiments with my next grows.

The Gorilla tape sticks great on the inside it bonds to the reflective material like glue. I can't pull it off without ripping the reflective stuff off with it....Tape some mylar over the vents. The tape I bought is 4" wide Black and I need to peel off an inner coating to expose the sticky...fking expensive at $25/ roll but the stuff works.

It depends on what the question is.

Many years ago, some growers looked at hermaphrodite cannabis, commonly referred to as “hermies,” as a benefit. Seeds produced by hermaphroditism tend to grow out to be female plants. They’re purebred cannabis seeds that can help a grower lock in desired genetic traits.

Grabbed that as the top google result.

If the hermie trait is genetic, then it will pass that on, meaning some female and some hermies by the genetic lottery.

So yeah, you can still get pollen as the genetics influence the grow.
I grew from hermied seeds and had a couple of nice harvests. Then I used a seed from a second generation hermie and it was all out hell . All the buds were seeded up like grapes bulging out everywhere....A full 4-5 months wasted...fk that $10 a seed that can make a million clones is a pretty good deal......I like fem seeds only.....Too much trial and error otherwise...

For me, nanners seem to happen very late in flower and the seeds are never mature enough to germ. But I fully agree that they'd be feminized seeds if I left them long enough. They'd just be feminized with a higher than average potential to popping nanners late in flower.

Nanners late in flower seems to be pretty common. Maybe my plants are telling me to harvest sooner.

But I fully agree that they'd be feminized seeds if I left them long enough. They'd just be feminized with a higher than average potential to popping nanners late in flower.
This is the simplest response. I'm voting you win.

See also garbage in garbage out.

I got a bunch off nanners this grow around week 3 of flower.the dehuey light was on all day..I pinched out bout 30 of them.they must not have been viable as no pistils have died on surrounding plants..but that plant was sick though.agree 100% on survival adaptation.

Be interesting to grow a plant you know will herm and introduce a male pollen before it has the chance to herm.
It seems like it could be a survival adaptation.
If a male stopped it then yes it is the plants will to survive with a little help from mother Nature.

Be interesting to grow a plant you know will herm and introduce a male pollen before it has the chance to herm.

If a male stopped it then yes it is the plants will to survive with a little help from mother Nature.
Done there-been that. The herm got jealous and started popping nanners sooner than normal.

Back
Top Bottom