Nesta’s DWC Attempt

Now I’m interested at what strength ml/gal you are dosing the GH Trio. I just made a gallon to top off my res. I did 50% of the light feeding schedule. Keep in mind that my water out of the tap is 100ppm. I added powerSi, calimagic, the trio, fulvic and PH down to go from 6.3 to 5.8. The ending EC was 1 and the PPMs were 540. Now trying to stay close to SLGs recommended 400PPMs, I added plain water until I got down to .9ec and 440ppm. I would prefer to not add the plain water at the end if possible. How are you guys dosing the trio? Sorry Moe, I didnt understand your previous post on this.

The feeding charts are just a baseline for to keep your ratios in check. Next mix, only add 75-80% of what you did this time. The ratios are more important to follow than their amounts. You'll fine tune it after a few mixes. Are you keeping records as you add the nutes? When I started, I tracked and noted the ppm and ph after each nutrient was added. This gave me a pretty decent log to reference. Then you'll know about how much of what ends up being as far as ppm. Want 10% higher final ppm? Multiply your last doses by 110%. Keeps the ratios in check and allows you to be precise with your end results.

That make sense? Kinda felt like I rambled there a little..

Maybe you could get another bucket, pull the plant (screen and all) and set it on the extra bucket while you do your changes.
Yes, I do this all the time with the Binky Buckets. My plants are not that big at this stage and no screen to deal with but I believe this would work just fine, not the easiest but works for sure. I've read where those site tubes are not the greatest thing, holding stagnant water and not the best thing.

Have you thought about installing a bulkhead near the bottom of the bucket to use for a drain line? A ball valve to turn on/off and a length of tubing to reach your drain line, may need a pump in your situation.

Now I’m interested at what strength ml/gal you are dosing the GH Trio. I just made a gallon to top off my res. I did 50% of the light feeding schedule. Keep in mind that my water out of the tap is 100ppm. I added powerSi, calimagic, the trio, fulvic and PH down to go from 6.3 to 5.8. The ending EC was 1 and the PPMs were 540. Now trying to stay close to SLGs recommended 400PPMs, I added plain water until I got down to .9ec and 440ppm. I would prefer to not add the plain water at the end if possible. How are you guys dosing the trio? Sorry Moe, I didnt understand your previous post on this.
I do not think there is anything wrong with adding plain water to dilute your nutrient solution, I do it all the time but I have to remember to add a bit of cal/mag except for late in flower when I do this.

Using my Binky Buckets for the example I know, I just pick a feeding ratio off the chart, either light or medium......ratios are going to be the same regardless. So when I am building the res in the BB, I make a large cup full of concentrated nutrient water at the ratios on one of those charts, then I add this to the plain water in the bucket until I get to my target ppm.

When I get to my larger systems, I record my starting ppm and ph, then I add what I call "One Round" of nutrients to the res and see where that lands on the ppm. Then, assuming I know my target, say for example 400 ppm. Lets say one round brings my ppm up by 50 ppm, started with 100. That gives me 150 ppm. Then I do the math and figure how many more rounds I need to get to my target. I always come in lean, then add a bit more if needed. Sometimes I deliberately under fill the res, load the nutes and leave that room in the event I need to dilute things down.

Hope this makes sense, not a lot of time atm.

Just when everything was going so well…
IMG_0762.jpeg
The leaves have started curling downward. Now this could be caused by a couple of things. Yesterday the air pump fell and both airlines disconnected leaving the roots without oxygen for a couple hours. Additionally, EC rose to 1 and PPMs to 500. Ph remained at 5.8. Airlines are now fixed and I lowered the EC to .9 and PPMs to 420.

Anything else I should be concerned about or doing differently? VPD is constant 1.2.

Last edited:
Are the curled leaves crispy?

Any chance of a higher res pic or close up on the new growth?

Looks to me like plant has switched to maint vs growth. If your res is correct I’d look at the roots. Feel for slime preventing the roots from grabbing water.

Are the curled leaves crispy?

Any chance of a higher res pic or close up on the new growth?

Looks to me like plant has switched to maint vs growth. If your res is correct I’d look at the roots. Feel for slime preventing the roots from grabbing water.
Good news is there is no slime on the roots and the curled leaves are not crispy. They are soft. Now that the light came on, some are starting to stand up a bit. Here are some pics:
IMG_0766.jpeg
IMG_0767.jpegIMG_0769.jpegIMG_0770.jpeg

I will add that the ppfd is around 300, so the light shouldn’t be the problem. The Pluto next to it is thriving.

Something preventing water moving up. Ph, root issues, bugs, lack of O2 at the roots.

Because the next plant is fine most likely O2. But I would calibrate ph probe and look for slow movers. If you can manage a pic of the roots it might be helpful.

Something preventing water moving up. Ph, root issues, bugs, lack of O2 at the roots.

Because the next plant is fine most likely O2. But I would calibrate ph probe and look for slow movers. If you can manage a pic of the roots it might be helpful.
No signs of bugs. Is it possible that when the airlines got disconnected for a couple hours yesterday that this would be the effect?

Here are some pics:
IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0772.jpeg
Here is the plant next to it shes in coco.
IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg

That’s a whole lot of plant hopefully the roots are getting bigger faster than the top. I see some mottled leaves there I would only be concerned if the roots are not catching up.

I accidentally stunted plants in a recent grow because my o2 system failed. They recovered quickly tho once I gave them bubbles.

Normal dissolved o2 is 8. Can get 9 in hydro if lower elevation or very active bubbling. Mine got to 3. All the plants started throwing different symptoms. Lack of o2 can be a frustrating diagnosis.

That’s a whole lot of plant hopefully the roots are getting bigger faster than the top. I see some mottled leaves there I would only be concerned if the roots are not catching up.

I accidentally stunted plants in a recent grow because my o2 system failed. They recovered quickly tho once I gave them bubbles.

Normal dissolved o2 is 8. Can get 9 in hydro if lower elevation or very active bubbling. Mine got to 3. All the plants started throwing different symptoms. Lack of o2 can be a frustrating diagnosis.
I will get a pic of the roots tomorrow. The roots are definitely growing. I have two airstones in an 8 gal bucket. Generally fill with 5 gals of nutrient solution. Would more airstones help?

Did a bro science trial using a 4 inch cylindrical in one 13 gal site number 2 and the other 3 sites had the 2'' stones that came included with the current culture

I see little difference if any in my grows comparing a single 2" stone to a 4".

Both my grows documented here #2 site has the bigger 4" stone

IMG_4090.png
IMG_4089.png
For comparison Sunday to Friday.

Let’s keep an eye on these. Obviously growing but not as fast as I would like. Could be genetic tho.

@SweetLeafGrow, do you keep around 400ppms the entire grow?
Not sure if slg will be able to respond for a bit. He’s out of town atm.

It’s worth mentioning that I’m pretty sure slg uses the 500 scale and smoke uses the 700 scale for ppms. Based on your EC post I see you are 500. Smokes equivalent for you is actually a lighter feed. Not kidding when I say he grows on farts and giggles and a splash of cal mag.

When slg started he was using the recipe from the bottle and was in the 1000 range. It was still a great grow (you can see it on the other place) but it finished very dark. Some connoisseurs would say overfed. Maybe he will post some pics of where he was vs where he is now. I remember it was a dfg seed can’t remember what.

That’s the one. Great plant. I grew that from seed too after I saw slg plant. Great for hydro made a short stout plant strong as any. I think he has a lab report on that grow too.
Has nice structure in dirt too 20240531_094003.jpg
That was taken a couple weeks ago now, will be taking clones for another run with her.

I don’t recall the internode being so long. I’ll check out your thread
It's probably my fault. My lights are pulled way up at the moment, been dialing in all new equipment and it's been a headache lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom