True Confessions of an American Outlaw

@Bandit420 - You ever watch a Youtube channel called Guga Foods? That guy makes some amazing steaks and does some crazy experiments with steak like dry aging for a year, etc. His side dishes are the bomb!!!

He's only one of my internet superheroes! 😋
I've done a few of his sous vide recipes and he's the one who convinced me I needed a flamethrower instead of a culinary torch for searing.
His sous vide birria is a must try IMO but of everything I've taken from him the most valuable has been using marrow bones in slow simmer, slow cooker, and Dutch oven recipes. I've even added them to the water as I boil potatoes for mashed potatoes and use them in all gravys I make.
His use of short rib is also on the bold side of life and I took that from him too.
The bones from the ribs and marrow bones need to be fished out before serving but what they leave behind is treasure in the pot adding a richness that elevates every dish. They'll both be in my chili today :cool:

My wife wont eat beef unless its well done and that to me is a complete waste of beef!! Plus she doesnt even really like beef to begin with so i really just get what i want and make ot exactly as i want.

I wont even cook venison for her anymore because she wants it well done and you just can NOT cook venison to anything over medium rare or its like chewing leather and tastes horrible.

It's been a process of education with my wife as she's the same way. She'll ask for well done and I'll stop her and say no that's not what you want. She want's it cooked thoroughly but she doesn't realize what well done really means and those two words are pretty much blasphemy with steak and burgers.
I tell her there's a time and place for well done. Fajitas, braised beef and ribs, slow cooked BBQ, yes well done is appropriate. But that's with marinades and 12 hour smoke outs to render down collagen that brings the juicy tenderness. She just doesn't get the difference between slow cooked well done and fast cooked well done. And smoke ring pink really fucks with her lol.
She's also a hard pass on game meat, lamb, duck, and goat or as we call goats, cabrito. She's actually had all of these but I kinda did the Korean Jedi mind trick they do with serving dog. I've served game meat to her without her knowing and she liked all of it. She likes goat milk now but only tried it after I told her it's health benefits compared to cow milk so now that's what she puts in her cereal.

R2 says...

awesome updates brother!!!

all that meat!!!!! you're stocking up for hibernation!!! i know how it is man, our freezers are always stuffed!!! and it's great to hear other folks like their steak rare too... i was starting to think i was the only person left!!! hehehe i have a few friends that will only eat their steaks like shoe leather, even fillets!!! i consider medium to be overcooked.

plants are looking killer as well, you about half way now? that oreoz looks nice, i pissed all my oreoz seeds away so i hope they get more in stock!! they had no reverse auctions this week.. i was starting to get the itch man!! hahaha

it's funny you mentioned cooking herbs because a couple weeks ago i picked up an earthbox junior ( i pronounce it juuune- yur!!) haha
i probably should have bought the plants started but i have ten times more vegetable seeds than i do ganja seeds so i figured i should use some of those. thyme, dill, parsley, and cilantro...

View attachment 29610

texas on texas, wvu at ou!! mich st(coach drama) at penn st... shitty jets at shitty vegas with a fill in coach... maybe some good games this weekend!!! maybe not....

and you made us hungry for pot pie so that's on the menu for tomorrow!!! it's going down in the 20's at night here this weekend so we need a good stick to your bones kind of meal to keep us warm!!!

stay elevated my brother!!

Man if you like rare you should try some raw A5 wagyu sliced with a box cutter blade so it's like fine shavings of meat! I'll do that but I do get weirded out if there's a pool of blood under my steak.
One thing I love about sous vide is that temp control to balance that fine line between rare and medium for a true medium rare. Once there I'll let it cool a bit then hit it with the torch for the sear or drop in a screaming hot skillet quickly flipping it around on all sides to sear it without rasing the internal temp.

Thanks for the kind words on the crop buddy! 🩲

It's had it's challenges but yeah it's all downhill from here with maybe 3-4 weeks left on all the GPS stuff. Not sure about the haze though. They look like they wanna go into the new year!
Also looks like I chucked a lot more pollen than intended as I see some beans in some GPS colas. Might even have a TxB crossed into one of the Oreos plants too! Buttered Oreoz might be thing!

That's super cool with the earthbox jr in there dude! Nothing like fresh herbs from the planter to the table in seconds!
I've also been thinking about wall mounted 3D printed mini planters for things like radishes and carrots. Also have my eye on those potato bags with the flap on the side to harvest without digging them up. I just think it's cool to diversify indoors. Cool to grow different cannabis strains and all that but to add food crops and not lose any yield on cannabis is all kinds of awesome sauce!

Yeah I'm not looking forward to Sunday without racing. I might actually have to go out and gulp do yardwork and clean the garage.😢
Maybe watch a Greatest Race on DVR and check some things off the netflix watch list.
Still haven't seen the last 4 episodes of Mandalorian. Got a little too Disney for me and couldn't finish so maybe I give it another look. Also gotta catch up on Yellowstone and a couple other modern western shows on my play lists.
If I watch NFL it's RZ channel and just on while I do other shit. Just can't sit and watch NFL games like I used to. Maybe if they did the Peyton and Eli Monday night game broadcast on Sundays I'd watch. It's just racing and college football for me. Looking forward to the South Carolina 400 late model race next week though so there's something to fill the void!

20s??? Yeah that's way too cold for me! We're mid 50s and that's cold enough for my bones! Good chili weather so that's what my Saturday will be...Starting this chili this morning then let it sit out in the smoker until this evening with the wife on cornbread duty. Then watch my Horns beat up on some Frogs tonight!

Hope ya keep warm and high Brother! Hook 'Em!🤘

Last edited:
Bandit when do you find the time to do everything you do? I thought I was busy...

Care to share what you do for a living? Pro nascar driver hiding on pot forums?

I'm actually a bit on the lazy side, just ask my wife. 😋

I'm just an idiot savant with some things and it looks like there's a lot more to it. In fact that should probably be my title...The Idiot Savant
Can't say exactly what I do but I'll say D1 college football has been paying my bills for the past 25 years. ;)

So I've eaten in some pretty high end restaurants and the one thing that has escaped me is a sous vide steak. From the video I see on Guga it looks like it has a different texture to, say a steak grilled over lump charcoal like he likes to do. I'm also curious about what his sous vide steaks taste like after he torches them with his flame thrower. I'm curious if there is a gassy aftertaste. I'm sure it's almost nothing but I have pretty sensitive tastebuds and there are times I can taste the natural gas when they grill it over an open gas fired grill. Not off putting but there is that slight aftertaste.

So I've eaten in some pretty high end restaurants and the one thing that has escaped me is a sous vide steak. From the video I see on Guga it looks like it has a different texture to, say a steak grilled over lump charcoal like he likes to do. I'm also curious about what his sous vide steaks taste like after he torches them with his flame thrower. I'm curious if there is a gassy aftertaste. I'm sure it's almost nothing but I have pretty sensitive tastebuds and there are times I can taste the natural gas when they grill it over an open gas fired grill. Not off putting but there is that slight aftertaste.

If you've eaten in high end steak houses then you've likely already had sous vide steak and seared with a torch. Sous vide is a restaurant trick not many disclose.
The searing literally lasts about a minute or two. All you're doing is putting the crust on it since the sous vide has already cooked it and texture is defined by the time in the meat bath. As long as it's not in there for more than 4 hours texture is the same as cast iron or grill.
Where SV has the advantage is the infusion of butter and aromatics and that's why it's banned in most cooking competitions. It's cheating to perfection.

Last edited:
If you've eaten in high end steak houses then you've likely already had sous vide steak and seared with a torch. Sous vide is a restaurant trick not many disclose.
The searing literally lasts about a minute or two. All you're doing is putting the crust on it since the sous vide has already cooked it and texture is defined by the time in the meat bath. As long as it's not in there for more than 4 hours texture is the same as cast iron or grill.
Where SV has the advantage is the infusion of butter and aromatics and that's why it's banned in most cooking competitions. It's cheating to perfection.
When my nephew was at Cornell he was working part time at a steak house. I wanted to visit him at the restaurant but he said that they cheat and don't come. I was like WTF? They cheat? How?

He said they take cheap cuts of meat and will brush on a blue cheese oil they made their right before it goes out the door to give it that umami flavor so that the customer thought it was dry aged.😒

He's only one of my internet superheroes! 😋
I've done a few of his sous vide recipes and he's the one who convinced me I needed a flamethrower instead of a culinary torch for searing.
His sous vide birria is a must try IMO but of everything I've taken from him the most valuable has been using marrow bones in slow simmer, slow cooker, and Dutch oven recipes. I've even added them to the water as I boil potatoes for mashed potatoes and use them in all gravys I make.
His use of short rib is also on the bold side of life and I took that from him too.
The bones from the ribs and marrow bones need to be fished out before serving but what they leave behind is treasure in the pot adding a richness that elevates every dish. They'll both be in my chili today :cool:

It's been a process of education with my wife as she's the same way. She'll ask for well done and I'll stop her and say no that's not what you want. She want's it cooked thoroughly but she doesn't realize what well done really means and those two words are pretty much blasphemy with steak and burgers.
I tell her there's a time and place for well done. Fajitas, braised beef and ribs, slow cooked BBQ, yes well done is appropriate. But that's with marinades and 12 hour smoke outs to render down collagen that brings the juicy tenderness. She just doesn't get the difference between slow cooked well done and fast cooked well done. And smoke ring pink really fucks with her lol.
She's also a hard pass on game meat, lamb, duck, and goat or as we call goats, cabrito. She's actually had all of these but I kinda did the Korean Jedi mind trick they do with serving dog. I've served game meat to her without her knowing and she liked all of it. She likes goat milk now but only tried it after I told her it's health benefits compared to cow milk so now that's what she puts in her cereal.

Man if you like rare you should try some raw A5 wagyu sliced with a box cutter blade so it's like fine shavings of meat! I'll do that but I do get weirded out if there's a pool of blood under my steak.
One thing I love about sous vide is that temp control to balance that fine line between rare and medium for a true medium rare. Once there I'll let it cool a bit then hit it with the torch for the sear or drop in a screaming hot skillet quickly flipping it around on all sides to sear it without rasing the internal temp.

Thanks for the kind words on the crop buddy! 🩲

It's had it's challenges but yeah it's all downhill from here with maybe 3-4 weeks left on all the GPS stuff. Not sure about the haze though. They look like they wanna go into the new year!
Also looks like I chucked a lot more pollen than intended as I see some beans in some GPS colas. Might even have a TxB crossed into one of the Oreos plants too! Buttered Oreoz might be thing!

That's super cool with the earthbox jr in there dude! Nothing like fresh herbs from the planter to the table in seconds!
I've also been thinking about wall mounted 3D printed mini planters for things like radishes and carrots. Also have my eye on those potato bags with the flap on the side to harvest without digging them up. I just think it's cool to diversify indoors. Cool to grow different cannabis strains and all that but to add food crops and not lose any yield on cannabis is all kinds of awesome sauce!

Yeah I'm not looking forward to Sunday without racing. I might actually have to go out and gulp do yardwork and clean the garage.😢
Maybe watch a Greatest Race on DVR and check some things off the netflix watch list.
Still haven't seen the last 4 episodes of Mandalorian. Got a little too Disney for me and couldn't finish so maybe I give it another look. Also gotta catch up on Yellowstone and a couple other modern western shows on my play lists.
If I watch NFL it's RZ channel and just on while I do other shit. Just can't sit and watch NFL games like I used to. Maybe if they did the Peyton and Eli Monday night game broadcast on Sundays I'd watch. It's just racing and college football for me. Looking forward to the South Carolina 400 late model race next week though so there's something to fill the void!

20s??? Yeah that's way too cold for me! We're mid 50s and that's cold enough for my bones! Good chili weather so that's what my Saturday will be...Starting this chili this morning then let it sit out in the smoker until this evening with the wife on cornbread duty. Then watch my Horns beat up on some Frogs tonight!

Hope ya keep warm and high Brother! Hook 'Em!🤘
Agree with NFL ain't what it used to be when the players had crazy personalities and did things like eat light bulbs. That being said, it is pretty amazing that German and English folks can sing Sweet Caroline and enjoy going to a live game -- and the world keeps spinning.

Great to see you back Buddy! How you and the family been doing? I saw your grow and it's looking great as usual!
All's well here...growing and smoking and eating!
Weather has cooled down and feelin' like making a chili...No beans of course!
Growing hydro strawberries with a goal to make strawberry rhubarb pie.
Bred some marijuana and looking forward to new seeds and a hybrid haze cross
Racing is as fun as ever and am looking forward to next season and the new Fords and some young guns in the driver seats
And I upgraded to a new toy!

So yeah...nothing much here and same as always 😋
There may be something better on Earth than strawberry rhubarb pie with hard sauce NO here or any other planet.It exists in my memory Siesta Key Florida best ever.

The Chili Post, A Texas Red Story.
Saving the fate of humanity one no-bean chili at a time

How it started.....

IMG_5808.JPG

After browning and assembly, filled up a 12 quart Dutch Oven

IMG_5811.JPG

The XXL 400 PB Chili Modulator

IMG_5813.JPG

After 6 hours in smoke

IMG_5815.JPG

After another 5 hours cooking with the lid on, the chili is ready to serve!

IMG_5818.JPG

Prep time 1 hour
Cooking time 11 hours
Cooking temp 250*F

Garnished with chopped red and green onions, tropical avocado chunks, shredded cheese, sliced jalapeno, and Mexican crema with a side of corny bread

IMG_5820.JPG

1665397168776.png

Last edited:
eh... looks a' ight... it could use some beans IMO. and i bet sam houston didn't put salad on his chili!! :LOL:

nah, just funnin, that looks killer man... a lot of work, but it looks great! be good on cold rainy day!

we looked at getting a meat jacuzzi a few times. the longer we wait the cheaper they seem to get! i've seen them 60-70% off on prime day sales. i'd need to but a vacuum sealer though too. i guess that has freezer advantage too and not just used for sous vide. might have to keep an eye out on black friday for a suck sealer.

can you/do you use a sous vide for anything other than meat?

Looks great dude, I'd wreck that bowl of red. New grocery chain just opened up here called Market Basket and they have a decent selection of dried chilies which are usually hard to find in abundance up here. Just in time for cold weather too.

eh... looks a' ight... it could use some beans IMO. and i bet sam houston didn't put salad on his chili!! :LOL:

nah, just funnin, that looks killer man... a lot of work, but it looks great! be good on cold rainy day!

we looked at getting a meat jacuzzi a few times. the longer we wait the cheaper they seem to get! i've seen them 60-70% off on prime day sales. i'd need to but a vacuum sealer though too. i guess that has freezer advantage too and not just used for sous vide. might have to keep an eye out on black friday for a suck sealer.

can you/do you use a sous vide for anything other than meat?

3b4e77c5-c2a1-4b67-bcad-14408d134bbf_text.gif

What you call salad I call fixin's 😋

Black Friday is definitely the time to buy a sous vide!
So there's several ways to go about it depending on what you want. Buy in parts or a complete kit. I bought mine in parts and I opted for a manual heater instead of one with wifi or bluetooth. IMO those just aren't needed. You set the temp and time on the head and walk away so IMO wifi is a pointless extra cost.
This is the tub I bought and if you scroll down to the Frequently Bought Together it shows the heater and lid I also bought.

I also bought a rack that makes it nice to hold the bags in place but you want at least a 12 quart tub. All together I invested less than $100 in it and have been very happy with it for the 3 years I've had it

For the vac and sealer you don't need a Food Saver machine or even the big ass commercial grade deals restaurants use. Even though I have a Food Saver with the hand held attachment you can get by using this type of system and really cut the cost
And they make powered little hand pumps for those types of bags too.
But the food saver does come in handy for all sorts of things like freezing, marinating, and keeping weed for long term storage.

The main thing is when you pull the vacuum on the contents the bag closes in on it and wraps it like a skin. No air pockets or creases or anything like that.
You can just about sous vide anything. Steaks and chops for sure but I've made Mexican stews and poached eggs with mine.
Speaking of eggs...for perfect hard boiled or poached, it's nails every time and you don't put the eggs in a bag. You having that fresh source of eggs could go off with this thing!
Poached eggs are amazingly ez! Set the temp for 167, put the eggs in the bath for 14 minutes and boom! Perfect poached eggs!
You can make chili and soups too! Fish and veggies, pretty much anything but I've never done fish because I prefer cast iron and white fish like tilapia so no real need to do fish. Love it for things like asparagus spears though.
There's a youtube channel called Sous Vide Everything and there's tons of ideas and recipes there posted up by Guga

The one major caution is using fresh garlic. At the time and temps to sous vide a steak, fresh garlic can have botulism and it will go nuts in the warm zero oxygen and make people sick. So when using garlic either use garlic powder in the bag, cook or roast the fresh garlic before putting in the bag, or add it fresh after the cook.

You'll also need a torch or good skillet you can get super hot, like in the 400*F range for the searing. Sous vide meat will come out gray and ugly so you gotta put a crust on it with one of those two

A big gamechanger about it though is buying meat like pork chops in bulk. I buy them then season different ways from herbs and garlic to Caribbean jerk and BBQ rubs. Vacuum seal then store in the freezer. When the time comes, let it thaw and drop in the sous vide for ez and fast ways to prepare & cook perfect pork chops!

Picture time!!!

Cap steaks in the meat bath

10151978.JPG

How they finished

10154181.JPG

Prepping chops

10247886.JPG

prepping a steak

10247883.JPG

searing that steak

10464715.JPG

and serving that steak

10562304.JPG

10464717.JPG

more preps

10828859.jpeg

poached egg

10250774.JPG

Guga would approve!!!! Yum!!! 😄

Yes he would especially with the marrow bones and short ribs in there!

Looks great dude, I'd wreck that bowl of red. New grocery chain just opened up here called Market Basket and they have a decent selection of dried chilies which are usually hard to find in abundance up here. Just in time for cold weather too.

Thanks buddy! Yeah we have a ton of dried chili sources around here. I work with guajillo and pasilla more than anything but yeah a good source of dry chilis are a must!

The one major caution is using fresh garlic. At the time and temps to sous vide a steak, fresh garlic can have botulism and it will go nuts in the warm zero oxygen and make people sick. So when using garlic either use garlic powder in the bag, cook or roast the fresh garlic before putting in the bag, or add it fresh after the cook.
Didn't know that. Thanks!!!

Texas Butter doing Texas Butter things. Also changing my mind about what exactly is possible growing 12/12 from seed

IMG_5831.JPG

I'm giving heavy thought to a 20-30 plant grow starting 12/12 after the seedling stage. They grow single cola and not much else but this single cola might finish the size of a 40oz Mickeys at only 2' tall.
I've always had it my mind it's possible to treat photos like autos and possibly yield more and better pot than what autos can do by growing without any veg time. Feels like it's time to put the theory to the test :devilish:

Texas Butter doing Texas Butter things. Also changing my mind about what exactly is possible growing 12/12 from seed

View attachment 30062

I'm giving heavy thought to a 20-30 plant grow starting 12/12 after the seedling stage. They grow single cola and not much else but this single cola might finish the size of a 40oz Mickeys at only 2' tall.
I've always had it my mind it's possible to treat photos like autos and possibly yield more and better pot than what autos can do by growing without any veg time. Feels like it's time to put the theory to the test :devilish:
SOG

wow man thanks, that's some really great info on the sous vide!!

i didn't know you could cook so much with them. veggies and soups!??! i also like how you pre made up compound butter and herbs and freeze it like that.. that part there might have been the tipping point for me wanting one. and thanks for the tip on the garlic, that probably would have been the very first thing i would have stuffed in a bag!!!!

it sounds like the container might be almost or just as important as the heater. i think we'll get a big one with a lid and rack. this seems to be the most expensive of the three items so i think we'll get a good one and not cheese out on quality.

and yeah i was already suckered on the whole wifi app stuff and thought about what you said and i'll never use that crap so i'll save taht money for the vac sealer instead. in fact i think we'll get the sealer first.

there seems to be a lot of sealer choices,,, like a shit ton!!! i could probably pick out a container and heater in ten minutes but we spent over an hour looking at vac sealers!!

we like this one.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XJW5LHG/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2MYRKHOU9U6KL&th=1

do you see any red flags with that model?

we also liked this one... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BRN1B7Q/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A6R35KWCHGZDU&psc=1

i'm still a bit blown away though... so you're telling me i can make up and freeze a twice backed potato in a bag and asparagus with bacon and butter in another, and seal up a hunk of pork tenderloin with butter and rosemary in a third and put them all in the same bath and cook dinner by opening the bags like an MRE?

i am all about the pre make and cook quick style.. it's why i like foods with leftovers so much!! hahaha

when you cook steaks like that and do the hot reverse sear without raising the internal temp do you still do a rest on it? or is it ready for the table in minutes?

It would probably kinda look like a SOG but no mothers, no clones, no perpetual or staggered harvests, and nobody named Hans running the operation. 🙃
Just growing a shit load of small plants from seed with no veg time in a mono crop. I'd call it a purge of the seed stash more than anything 😋

wow man thanks, that's some really great info on the sous vide!!

i didn't know you could cook so much with them. veggies and soups!??! i also like how you pre made up compound butter and herbs and freeze it like that.. that part there might have been the tipping point for me wanting one. and thanks for the tip on the garlic, that probably would have been the very first thing i would have stuffed in a bag!!!!

it sounds like the container might be almost or just as important as the heater. i think we'll get a big one with a lid and rack. this seems to be the most expensive of the three items so i think we'll get a good one and not cheese out on quality.

and yeah i was already suckered on the whole wifi app stuff and thought about what you said and i'll never use that crap so i'll save taht money for the vac sealer instead. in fact i think we'll get the sealer first.

there seems to be a lot of sealer choices,,, like a shit ton!!! i could probably pick out a container and heater in ten minutes but we spent over an hour looking at vac sealers!!

we like this one.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XJW5LHG/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2MYRKHOU9U6KL&th=1

do you see any red flags with that model?

we also liked this one... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BRN1B7Q/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A6R35KWCHGZDU&psc=1

i'm still a bit blown away though... so you're telling me i can make up and freeze a twice backed potato in a bag and asparagus with bacon and butter in another, and seal up a hunk of pork tenderloin with butter and rosemary in a third and put them all in the same bath and cook dinner by opening the bags like an MRE?

i am all about the pre make and cook quick style.. it's why i like foods with leftovers so much!! hahaha

when you cook steaks like that and do the hot reverse sear without raising the internal temp do you still do a rest on it? or is it ready for the table in minutes?

Welcome to the sous vide rabbit hole!

So your meats and veggies will cook at different temps and times. You could probably do the tenderloin first since it would be the longest and coolest, 140 for 3 hours, then do the veggies and taters at 180-190 from 15-30 minutes.
There's tons of recipes online for a more dialed in approach on cooking multiple things at the same time.
When adding something like bacon I would probably not add it raw because it won't crisp up in the bath but if you cooked it to a crisp and then add it, the presentation would look a lot better otherwise you'll be searing the bacon afterwards.

After the sear, no rest, it's ready to be served

I agree the container is major deal. Mine is as small as I would ever want to go at 12 quarts. 20 would be more than enough and yep you want a lid with a notch for the immersion heater and a rack for organizing and keeping the meals away from the heater so it circulates without obstruction. The lid is also important to keep the temp locked down.
Some use large pots or bowls and kinda wing it but yeah a large tub specific for sous vide is the way to go.

Vac sealers are another ball game with prices and quality all over the place. IMO you get what you pay for with them. I've had a couple >$50 units that didn't last very long and were underpowered or lacked features. I was just about fed up with them until I got a Food Saver at Costco on discount. About every 6 months Costco sells a unit and box of bags at around 30% off so when the deal came around again I snagged it.

Of the two you linked I'd opt for the second $80 unit. That being said, I do highly recommend this model from Food Saver and I'll tell you why...

More than enough power and is top of the line in build quality.
That pulse feature might as well say Sous Vide.
The cord tucks up into the body and the handheld is connected by a retractable tube that keeps it all together so you don't lose those parts and it stores well.
Holds a roll of bags and has the slicer for perfect sized bags and cuts every time.
Removable tray for ez cleaning because these things do get blood and juices up in the tray.
It will last. Sure down the road it might die but you will definitely get your moneys worth before that happens. IMO it's as good as any $300 machine but at half that price. It's what I own except mine actually does say sous vide instead of pulse and mine is silver.

For bags I tend to buy a large combo sized box. Costco has a unique box I don't see on amazon but this is very close to what I buy

On the searing part. I like to do this outdoors because of the smoke using a pan and the danger of the flame thrower.
You'll want the skillet so hot it's smoking so you need a good overhead vent because when you drop the meat on it it's gonna sizzle and smoke like crazy. And then the torch is just dangerous but also smokes a bit too.
In regards to the torch, I'm loving this one!

You're gonna have a ton of fun with it dude! The prep and freeze is actually fun!
You'll want to use rubs and spices more than marinades, use dry marinades, or marinade first then bag up and freeze without the wet marinade.
Unlike baking, grilling, or stovetop, as your meal cooks all the juices stay in there rather than burning off. You get crazy rich flavor from that. Then when you add butter and aromatics you're into the deep hack of incredible flavors!
And pork is all kinds of fuck yeah sous vide! I tend to undercook or over cook pork on the grill or in the oven but not with sous vide! Chops and tenderloins come our like restaurant steakhouse perfection every time!
Guga has a helluva tenderloin recipe I want to do. The man is a national treasure and gets me so excited to cook watching him!

Last edited:
fuck yeah!!!!! dude you look like a marionette show in there with all the yoyos!!

and just luv the strawberry bucket art!!!! so i assume you heat levels came down for you by now and you have full control again?

and man thanks again for the info on the sousvide stuff. i have a bunch in my cart that i want so i'll see what has the best deal coming up, and if no great deals happen i'm cool with paying the reg price for the cooker straight up. the container we're gonna wait for a sweet deal because there are only a few that we like anyway and they're expensive for a plastic box. we don't need that to make more potatoey potatoes, we have large pots and other vessels we can cook in for now.

if we did decide to get a large container 20qt or bigger, i might lean to the higher wattage cooker with the bigger flow rate. i didn't even know they had circulators in them till reading your post, i just thought it was like a big aquarium heater!! hehe

yeah the potato thing sealed the deal for my woman, we like mashed a lot and make them at least weekly. but i'm seeing one negative, when we cook for four hours the whole house smells great... something tells me sousvide has no smell!!!!

so my head was spinning on the vac sealers, like you say all over the place on quality and price. we read and looked at everything you said and we spent another two hours again just surfing at them... i couldn't take it anymore, i asked my woman if she would choose. she's gonna use it more than me anyway! so this is what we got...

we got it today already... didn't have any food to seal at the time so we just had fun crushing soda cans with it so far!!!!

we got a big turkey for next week and i'm going to butcher the legs and thighs off and only cook the breast for turkey day. i'll seal up the legs and thighs and maybe have a sousvide cooker by the next week after to cook them with.

as for the searing i'll probably wait and see. i'll most likely be using this more in the winter than summer and the chances of me going outside in the middle of a snow storm to sear a steak is probably not gonna happen. just being honest. i have a gas stove and when the fire alarm goes off it's just it's way of cheering me on when i'm cooking!!!! sometimes i sing along,, beep beep yay!! beep beep yay!! hahaha

the fire alarm going off happens almost as much as we have mashed taters!!! :LOL:

i like this one the best....

<<<bump>>>
img_5834-jpg.30232

:love::love::love:

Last edited:
the other day i'm watching the randon pics go by and i see dented head guy... had to click on it dammit. :ROFLMAO:

Heck Yeah Bandit. That room looks fantastic.

What is this strain?
View attachment 30395

High Nesta and many thanks for the kind words!
That cut is Ghost Train Haze from Rare Dankness. She's one of six clones of that pheno I have growing and I also have two other GTH plants.
One of the other pair is very similar to these clones leaning very heavy towards sativa while the other pheno is a more balanced hybrid.
But that sativa haze pheno is the one I was hunting for out of that pack of seeds and am so happy to get it!
I've bred Texas Butter into it which is a Banana OG hybrid so that lady there is loaded with seeds.
Very unique plant on couple levels...She smells like black pepper and lemons and I'm seeing some pink and blue color to a lot of her calyxs. Lots of trichs everywhere on her too so I'm hoping to get something very unique out of the offspring.

fuck yeah!!!!! dude you look like a marionette show in there with all the yoyos!!

and just luv the strawberry bucket art!!!! so i assume you heat levels came down for you by now and you have full control again?

and man thanks again for the info on the sousvide stuff. i have a bunch in my cart that i want so i'll see what has the best deal coming up, and if no great deals happen i'm cool with paying the reg price for the cooker straight up. the container we're gonna wait for a sweet deal because there are only a few that we like anyway and they're expensive for a plastic box. we don't need that to make more potatoey potatoes, we have large pots and other vessels we can cook in for now.

if we did decide to get a large container 20qt or bigger, i might lean to the higher wattage cooker with the bigger flow rate. i didn't even know they had circulators in them till reading your post, i just thought it was like a big aquarium heater!! hehe

yeah the potato thing sealed the deal for my woman, we like mashed a lot and make them at least weekly. but i'm seeing one negative, when we cook for four hours the whole house smells great... something tells me sousvide has no smell!!!!

so my head was spinning on the vac sealers, like you say all over the place on quality and price. we read and looked at everything you said and we spent another two hours again just surfing at them... i couldn't take it anymore, i asked my woman if she would choose. she's gonna use it more than me anyway! so this is what we got...

we got it today already... didn't have any food to seal at the time so we just had fun crushing soda cans with it so far!!!!

we got a big turkey for next week and i'm going to butcher the legs and thighs off and only cook the breast for turkey day. i'll seal up the legs and thighs and maybe have a sousvide cooker by the next week after to cook them with.

as for the searing i'll probably wait and see. i'll most likely be using this more in the winter than summer and the chances of me going outside in the middle of a snow storm to sear a steak is probably not gonna happen. just being honest. i have a gas stove and when the fire alarm goes off it's just it's way of cheering me on when i'm cooking!!!! sometimes i sing along,, beep beep yay!! beep beep yay!! hahaha

the fire alarm going off happens almost as much as we have mashed taters!!! :LOL:

i like this one the best....

<<<bump>>>
img_5834-jpg.30232

:love::love::love:

Man it feels like I needed a battalion of yoyos for this grow!

Haha hopefully the berry art inspires the berry plants and lets it know what it's purpose is here at the Hideout!!
Environment is still a daily challenge but getting better with the cooler days. I've done quite a bit of work in those regards this past week and pretty much redid intake and control to get a better handle on it

IMG_5853.JPG

Totally rearranged the wall of chaos by moving the intake filter box up onto the wall and put an elbow on the outlet to shoot that cool air up into the warm air near the ceiling and lights for a better mix.
And with the box being metal allowed me to use some magnetic hooks and plates to hang tools off it and also mount a couple environment monitors to it for better viewing.
Also redid that electric I was posting about in the other thread so no more Titan on the wall now and instead have a heavy duty power strip there.

Yeah I hear ya on the sous vide shopping! I pretty much went thru the same dilemmas trying to choose the right stuff.
That vac sealer looks great to me Brother! Has all the features and good pull at a really great price! LMAO @ crushing cans with it :ROFLMAO:
No you wont smell the food cooking but wait until you open a bag! You're gonna want to crawl in there and live it smells so good!

That's the Oreoz S1 my friend! She is a greezy ol gal for sure. Gonna yield very well too.
Another one kinda sneaking up and trying to steal the show is Frozen Custard. Holy crap she's doing some good things! I have three FC plants in here. One is a mutant runt I've kept around but her two sisters are 😳 kinda good. They've been unassuming this whole grow and have grown well without any issues but as they ripen, wow do they wanna put on a show. The best FC cola is at the top of that post. Just long spears of thick colas loaded with grease and sticky as tangle foot.
:
:
:
Today is one of the biggest days here in a very long time and I can't wait to get started! I'll be taking lots of pics and notes but two projects are underway...
First one is my seed sorter is near completion. It looks great and I hope it works as good as it looks.

The second is my new rosin press is here! It is a total beast and I'm so excited to get started.
I've also accessorized with some really cool new tools and am studying up on how to use it. This is gonna be one of the most technical squishin' days with data points all over the place I've ever done. And from what I can tell so far is one squish off this thing will equate to 3 squishes off my other nugsmasher which is going back to NS for that sweet refund on their trade in loyalty program!
I'm also gonna load up the tumbler today too so it's Extraction Saturday here at The Hideout!!!🤪

sounds like you'll know soon if it was the titan or the breaker... fingers crossed!!!

can't wait to see your new press!! you're gonna be having so much fun with that!!!!!

did you get anything good from greenpoint? i've been watching dip n stix but peeps keep buying them at way too high of a price.. i'l wait.

i grabbed a pack of the new straight jacket overpaid at $34 haha also got a pack of purple scout from last months release.

have fun squishin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psyched to hear you got your smasher~! Let the good times roll~!

Cool cool on the seed sorter. Can't wait to see that~!

View attachment 30520
:LOL:

I'll stick with strawberries dipped in sour cream then rolled in brown sugar thank you very much😋

sounds like you'll know soon if it was the titan or the breaker... fingers crossed!!!

can't wait to see your new press!! you're gonna be having so much fun with that!!!!!

did you get anything good from greenpoint? i've been watching dip n stix but peeps keep buying them at way too high of a price.. i'l wait.

i grabbed a pack of the new straight jacket overpaid at $34 haha also got a pack of purple scout from last months release.

have fun squishin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I changed out the breaker too! Went with a combo GFCI/AFCI breaker and so far so good!
Yeah I scored a few testers before they released and now they're on RA??? Maybe due to no payment or something? Who knows but yeah I got 3 packs at around $42/pack after coupons buying early.

New press has me tripping. Squishin' will never be the same for me 🥹

IMG_5882.JPG

Heating plate lights has me all 😍

IMG_5860.JPG

One negative...the front is not magnetic so they offer a separate plate to bolt on the top front for $35. Pretty fucked up to do that considering it's a $2K press. Shoulda come with the plate. I have other pieces of metal I'll use instead of buying that part

1oz nug run, tumbling it first
Before the tumble

IMG_5855.JPG

I use a DC power supply to change the voltage which changes the speed of the tumbler. This was a 6v, 30 minute tumble

View attachment IMG_5856.MOV

After tumbling

IMG_5862.JPG

Old max bag size vs new max bag size

IMG_5857.JPG

Old blast print vs new blast print

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5879.JPG

Rocking a new cold plate from Dulytek😎

IMG_5880.JPG

The extraction brain is just way cool. I like using the custom setting screen and punching in true dimensions of a loaded bag. It automatically calculates surface area of the bag and proper pressure and I basically ride the jack handle keeping it in range.
The best way to describe this is like driving a stick by almost redlining the tach then shifting up thru the gears so you don't blow the motor or in this case, blow the bag or paper and get as much yield as possible.
This has totally changed how I press in how hard and how fast I bring the hammer down to max pressure. It's very ez to just blow by the proper pressure but this thing helps to not do that by riding that pressure gauge.
Next is to find the absolute max pressure. This was done at 800 on the plates but I think I can probably go closer to 900. I'd bring it up to get the yellow caution at 850 and let it roll down to around 810 and bring more pressure until at 850 again and it slows rolling back down again. Much like microwave popcorn where yeah there's a time setting but you mostly listen for the popping to slow and then stop

IMG_5870.JPG

Next up for today...finish up the nug run and see what I have in the tumbler's collection drawer!

Wicked with how it calculates target PSI ~!
And the cold plate is cool🐧.
The tumbler rocks. Did you make it?😎
Smoking some kief now from my trim bin~!😍

Wicked with how it calculates target PSI ~!
And the cold plate is cool🐧.
The tumbler rocks. Did you make it?😎
Smoking some kief now from my trim bin~!😍

Yeah it's really cool having all these feature in a press now and not going blind!
That's a Bubble Man's Tumble Now machine. I don't think they're made anymore and this one is fairly old now. I think my stack of trays does a better job but for a decent lazy guy approach to dry sift a good tumbler does a good job.
Here's what came out of the drawer. I'm gonna squish it without a bag. Just prepress it into a well packed puck and have at it on the heat press

IMG_5885.JPG

All the kief falls onto a 70 micron screen so below the screen is another collection tray and this is what was in there. I'll use it for making a cannagar later today

IMG_5886.JPG

Back
Top Bottom