As a ex contractor its just so very frustrating
I agree but I would liken it more to them having removed classes like shop from junior high and high school curriculums. In their race to digitize everything they forgot that someone has to install those Cat6 drops. Someone has to run the power to the servers.

This and the general attitude that most of society has put on "blue collar" workers. Why would you want to be in a field that is looked at as low class? All those ladder climbers are looked at that way until they're needed.

My son loves the tech field and is pursuing a career in it but if he didn't I would have enrolled him in electrician or plumbing school. I know a good amount of both and none are lacking work.

I agree but I would liken it more to them having removed classes like shop from junior high and high school curriculums. In their race to digitize everything they forgot that someone has to install those Cat6 drops. Someone has to run the power to the servers.

This and the general attitude that most of society has put on "blue collar" workers. Why would you want to be in a field that is looked at as low class? All those ladder climbers are looked at that way until they're needed.

My son loves the tech field and is pursuing a career in it but if he didn't I would have enrolled him in electrician or plumbing school. I know a good amount of both and none are lacking work.
that's going to be my approach with both kids too.

I don't want them stuck in a career where they tear up their bodies and can't enjoy their later years of life, but they will both know what it's like to work in the service industry, and preferably the construction industry too. Too many white collars treat laborers like shit for no reason.

Hell, I don't think I would have the career I do if I hadn't spent the better part of a decade learning different trades and breaking my back to make peanuts. Instilled great work ethic, and I have a lot of skills I still use regularly that I wouldn't have gained if it weren't for those years working with my hands.

Loaned some money to a friend of mine and he gave me his Benelli Super 90 as collateral. He didn't need to but he felt it wasn't right. I guess he wasn't 100% he was going to be able to pay it back.

I really loved that shotgun. Super fun to shoot and could hold 9 shots. Paid me back 6 months later and I had to give him back the gun. The Super 90 would be my choice but I also really enjoyed shooting the Mossberg 590.
Benelli makes some nice shotguns. I have their SBE II I use for duck and goose hunting. Takes a pretty good beating in the elements that you encounter as a waterfowl hunter. Never a misfire or failed ejection.

I don't want them stuck in a career where they tear up their bodies and can't enjoy their later years of life, but they will both know what it's like to work in the service industry, and preferably the construction industry too. Too many white collars treat laborers like shit for no reason.

Hell, I don't think I would have the career I do if I hadn't spent the better part of a decade learning different trades and breaking my back to make peanuts. Instilled great work ethic, and I have a lot of skills I still use regularly that I wouldn't have gained if it weren't for those years working with my hands.
Funny story. My Bro has a plumbing company. He was at a mansion running some new plumbing. He was a little dirty from crawling around in the dirt. Owners wife yells at him and tells him he was too dumb to go to college and he should feel lucky to have been hired on the job. Bro apologizes and finishes job. Fast forward about 6 months and he gets a call for a backed up main. They're desperate because it's a sunday, no one is available due to prior commitments and they were in the middle of some sort of party or celebration and the backed up main was overflowing back into the house ruining their party. Wanna guess who's house it was?

Bro shows up and guess who's there to greet him? He said she was as nice as anyone could be but he could tell she remembered him and was hoping that he didn't remember her. He wrote her up a quote for the job for her to sign and she immediately goes into Karen mode saying the quote was outrageous and asked him why it was so high?

"Because I had to endure your bullshit attitude last time and this time. According to you I'm some dummy that doesn't know anything so since you're so smart and don't like my price you're more than welcome to do it yourself."

He said at that point he turned around and started walking back to his truck leaving the lady holding the quote and her jaw from hitting the ground. He said hubby came running up to him and begged him to please fix the issue and that they would be more than happy to pay his price. Bro told hubby he'd do it but only if he was paid first. Money hit his account and he fixed the problem. He said he overheard hubby tearing wifey a new one as he was finishing up.

Here’s the pics. I have never done this so no idea how to do it right.

Not sure that tool will work for aluminum but it’s only the bottom “flashing” I want to take off so if it works I’m okay with it.

View attachment 26090View attachment 26091View attachment 26092View attachment 26093View attachment 26094

Last roofer who gave a quote said flat roof is still good for 2+ years.

Looks like caulk at seams needs to be removed next summer and replaced too.
Looks like the flashing is a 2 piece.
The one under the siding stays and the second piece looks to be pop rivetted to the first. Get an 1/8 inch drill bit if you think you need to remove the lower piece.
The chimney flashing is fastened in with concrete Zamacks.
You will need a sharp cats claw to pull the nail back out of the lead shield.
Here is what it looks like.
1697489302061.png

I might just try clean up/ removing all the old caulk/ tar at brick and metal on chimney and go up the siding and chimney till you feel it does not need new caulk.

Looks like the flashing is a 2 piece.
The one under the siding stays and the second piece looks to be pop rivetted to the first. Get an 1/8 inch drill bit if you think you need to remove the lower piece.
The chimney flashing is fastened in with concrete Zamacks.
You will need a sharp cats claw to pull the nail back out of the lead shield.
Here is what it looks like.
View attachment 26096

I might just try clean up/ removing all the old caulk/ tar at brick and metal on chimney and go up the siding and chimney till you feel it does not need new caulk.
Looking for tge leak and a place to start, i would fix the caulking first

Zamtaks... didn't know that

Well Portland HAD a park & ride....
Now its a homeless community they cant get out.
My Father in Law filmed this yesterday.
wrong portland lol for a sec i thought this was about portland oregon, which I would say if you tried to use a park & ride, you'd basically park, take a ride, and get back to the opportunity to have a nice walk home because your car wouldn't be there anymore. PDX has gotten so bad I tell anyone that goes down there to maybe not leave anything unattended, ever.

wrong portland lol for a sec i thought this was about portland oregon, which I would say if you tried to use a park & ride, you'd basically park, take a ride, and get back to the opportunity to have a nice walk home because your car wouldn't be there anymore. PDX has gotten so bad I tell anyone that goes down there to maybe not leave anything unattended, ever.
Oh yeah my B, its Portland Maine lol.
Pdx always sounds like its a rough neighborhood lmao.
I don't even lock my car at night here lol.

Oh yeah my B, its Portland Maine lol.
Pdx always sounds like its a rough neighborhood lmao.
I don't even lock my car at night here lol.
yeah portland's BS started spilling over into vancouver WA. was a major reason i moved the family so far north and outside of the nearest town.

we'll see how it affects the kids in the long run. i just couldn't jive with the city anymore. between the addicts, the homeless, and the absolute failures of law enforcement and municipal govts doing anything effective to remedy any of it, i made a decision that i hope was actually in the best interest of the family in the long run.

funny thing is the last people that we had reason to stick closer to ended up following us north a ways shortly after we moved. that area is just not a safe area anymore, at least not if you have kids.

Gmorning all, its been mild here with mid 60's day time and 50f nights & clear, Fall tends to be our best weather. I only have a block of Blood wood left so I guess 1 large on out of it. I've been googling pipes and there are some interesting shapes to try. I'll show a pick of what I'm going to try to make but the end result might not be the sameView attachment 26076 and it won't have a acrylic mouth piece.

I'm smoking some on My Quebec Blue after its been curing for a few weeks now and It really a nice high and great tasting smoke, smooth and sweet in contrast to the Sour D I've been smoking.

I ordered a new Bandsaw last night, I can't keep over working my belt sander or I'll need a new one of those soon. Shit doesn't last, my 3rd bandsaw in 20 years and I'm easy on them or at least I think I am.

I gotta go and give my own blood today and I don't like the fking needles one bit, I shiver at the thought but Dr wants to look at the results again, my bad cholesterol is too low and my good too high, my blood pressure is too low and so is my heart rate. My readings have shown me too healthy for age...something is obviously wrong. I have the resting heart rate of a bear somewhere in the 50's most humans are between 60 - 100
Well, I made another pipe but not quite like the whale look I was going for. Not long after I started grinding down my block I realized I didn't have enough width to get what I wanted then zip without thinking I had even less so I got a swimmer but it looks more sperm like than whaleBloodwoodL.JPG

Well, I made another pipe but not quite like the whale look I was going for. Not long after I started grinding down my block I realized I didn't have enough width to get what I wanted then zip without thinking I had even less so I got a swimmer but it looks more sperm like than whaleView attachment 26100
Still looks great man!!

yeah portland's BS started spilling over into vancouver WA. was a major reason i moved the family so far north and outside of the nearest town.

we'll see how it affects the kids in the long run. i just couldn't jive with the city anymore. between the addicts, the homeless, and the absolute failures of law enforcement and municipal govts doing anything effective to remedy any of it, i made a decision that i hope was actually in the best interest of the family in the long run.

funny thing is the last people that we had reason to stick closer to ended up following us north a ways shortly after we moved. that area is just not a safe area anymore, at least not if you have kids.

like, WA and OR both passed laws decriminalizing public usage of any drug. WTF did they think was going to happen with no way to force recourse while the fentanyl epidemic took off? they thought it would be like portugal -- have a couple bad years and then it'll get better. nope. there are now open drug markets all over the place like that notorious place in Pennsylvania I think it is. Violent and property crimes are through the roof. People are leaving in droves.

WA still has a no chase law, so you can commit just about any crime, take off, and the police cannot pursue. wtf started happening right after this? violent crimes shot through the roof. people are running from basic traffic citations. and the police are completely pissed off and disheartened because their hands have been tied from using one of the most fundamental ways they used to investigate and deal with actual crime.

And of course the eastern portions of both states are super pissed off because they're also feeling the problems from these poor policies but they have like no leverage because the major populace areas are all near the Cascades despite the bulk of these states' land masses being the eastern plains. and of course the cities lean far blue, while the eastern plains are all very staunchly red. The PNW is a clusterfuck right now man.

As a commercial plumber I deal with engineers and architects all the time that think they’re right and we spend countless time trying to correct their train of thought, just because a paper accepts ink doesn’t mean you’re correct or your “idea/vision” is physically possible.
We’re ALWAYS the dumb one’s…..until we aren’t….
Can’t tell you how many times I’ve given an idea in a meeting only for white shirt to say the same thing 10mins later and hear “great idea we’ll do that” and I have to bite my tongue.
I would never steer my kids in this direction. We aren’t allowed to use toilets other “humans” are allowed to use, we’ve been turned away from the white shirts bathrooms.
It’s been sub zero here and I got in trouble for washing my hands in a boys bathroom so I could take break.
We walk down the halls and MOST wemon look down and cover themselves up like we’re creepers (I’m married to a beautiful woman I don’t need to oogle you)
We’re aren’t allowed to talk with the clients if there’s a Construction Manager on site.
We make GREAT! Money for not a college education, in fact I think most people would be Appalled (my wife has a Masters and I double her salary)
We are just looked so down upon for what we do and how we treat our body’s just so society can function.

Still looks great man!!
Thanks, the wood does most of the work though, all I have to do is shine it up and looks great. There are so many exotic woods to try, I've been searching in between work sessions and I see some pretty wood coming my way if I can afford it. I saw an ad for some Manzanita wood out of the USA, $30Usa for the piece $ 50 Usa shipping.....lol NFW......... I can get stuff from Europe for $25 Cdn = $17 Usa ....it doesn't make sense. I tried to Order Briar wood and a drill bit through a pipe making supply place in Vermont $45 Cdn shipping. I got it from Turkey $25. I ordered Olive wood and the seller is in Norway $10 shipping
2x olive wood block (22x6x6 cm) raw wood for turning, carving, edge with expressive grain, untreated solid wood art projects

Transaction
Wood type: Olivenholz
Quantity: 1
Returns and exchanges accepted within 30 days of delivery
CA$37.63
Subtotal: CA$37.63
Delivery CA$10.54
Tax CA$0.00

As a commercial plumber I deal with engineers and architects all the time that think they’re right and we spend countless time trying to correct their train of thought, just because a paper accepts ink doesn’t mean you’re correct or your “idea/vision” is physically possible.
Can’t tell you how many times I’ve given an idea in a meeting only for white shirt to say the same thing 10mins later and hear “great idea we’ll do that” and I have to bite my tongue.
I would never steer my kids in this direction. We aren’t allowed to use toilets other “humans” are allowed to use, we’ve been turned away from the white shirts bathrooms.
It’s been sub zero here and I got in trouble for washing my hands in a boys bathroom so I could take break.
We walk down the halls and MOST wemon look down and cover themselves up like we’re creepers (I’m married to a beautiful woman I don’t need to oogle you)
We’re aren’t allowed to talk with the clients if there’s a Construction Manager on site.
We make GREAT! Money for not a college education, in fact I think most people would be Appalled (my wife has a Masters and I double her salary)
We are just looked so down upon for what we do and how we treat our body’s just so society can function.
i think a lot of it is caused by a major disconnect given a decent majority of the working age individuals now have never had to work trades, nor had family that did. i didn't really have a choice when I did the various trades I was in, it was either work for some piece of shit under the table and hope that he paid up or to never get hurt or sick, or not have a job at all because of the time it was in modern history. i flipped burgers because it was a requirement through my high school that juniors take advantage of the job placement program they had if students wanted to do half days their senior year. You better fuckin know it i wanted those half days so i could go get ripped haha

hell even after becoming a successful software engineer (never completed college, degrees are near useless in most modern software development roles) i even tended bar on the side simply to get out of the house and have semblance of a social life outside of my small family. ha, my favorite thing was telling assholes i easily made at least double what they did and could easily kick em out of the bar if they wanted to keep their shit up. money ain't everything, but talking shit towards another man's bank account is an easy ball check when you can't tell someone "fuck you," without the boss getting pissed off lol

the fact that so many people haven't been filthy, and stinky, and sore after a long day doing some fairly unpleasant shit that improved someone else's life is disheartening. but i am seeing a resurgence in society encouraging kids to pursue trades. not only are tradespeople very much needed (most master tradesmen are gettin older faster than they're able to train their replacements) but the fact is many trades can be insanely lucrative, and sometimes they're even fun! i fully predict that within the next ten years we'll see plumbing and electrical work easily catch up to carpentry in terms of national pay scales, and maybe even becoming competitive with tech jobs.

My kids aren't going to have a choice. They're gonna work those kind of jobs if for nothing more than a year or two as soon as they're legal to do so. The lifelong skills and respect they'll gain will far exceed the shitty wages and "my dad's an asshole for making me do this job" feelings they'll have about it. They're not going to be another couple of snot nosed punk kids that think they're higher than thou simply because they've never had grit under their nails or been looked at sideways because they look, and smell like, they just climbed out from a manure pile. Hell, if I do my job right if anyone comes at em sideways they'll smile and compliment the asshole for being rude.

That's my Bro! His wife has a PhD in Anthropolgy and is a professor but he makes more than she makes. He's lucky enough to own his own business so he gets to choose the projects he works and has a stable list of clients that keep him working that he has worked with before and respect his work.

Don't get me started with engineers and architects.....😏

That's my Bro! His wife has a PhD in Anthropolgy and is a professor but he makes more than she makes. He's lucky enough to own his own business so he gets to choose the projects he works and has a stable list of clients that keep him working that he has worked with before and respect his work.

Don't get me started with engineers and architects.....😏
Legit question. Who would you rather deal with. The engineer that told the architect his design should work, or the architect that is having a meltdown because the trade workers are building what will actually work?

i think a lot of it is caused by a major disconnect given a decent majority of the working age individuals now have never had to work trades, nor had family that did. i didn't really have a choice when I did the various trades I was in, it was either work for some piece of shit under the table and hope that he paid up or to never get hurt or sick, or not have a job at all because of the time it was in modern history. i flipped burgers because it was a requirement through my high school that juniors take advantage of the job placement program they had if students wanted to do half days their senior year. You better fuckin know it i wanted those half days so i could go get ripped haha

hell even after becoming a successful software engineer (never completed college, degrees are near useless in most modern software development roles) i even tended bar on the side simply to get out of the house and have semblance of a social life outside of my small family. ha, my favorite thing was telling assholes i easily made at least double what they did and could easily kick em out of the bar if they wanted to keep their shit up. money ain't everything, but talking shit towards another man's bank account is an easy ball check when you can't tell someone "fuck you," without the boss getting pissed off lol

the fact that so many people haven't been filthy, and stinky, and sore after a long day doing some fairly unpleasant shit that improved someone else's life is disheartening. but i am seeing a resurgence in society encouraging kids to pursue trades. not only are tradespeople very much needed (most master tradesmen are gettin older faster than they're able to train their replacements) but the fact is many trades can be insanely lucrative, and sometimes they're even fun! i fully predict that within the next ten years we'll see plumbing and electrical work easily catch up to carpentry in terms of national pay scales, and maybe even becoming competitive with tech jobs.

My kids aren't going to have a choice. They're gonna work those kind of jobs if for nothing more than a year or two as soon as they're legal to do so. The lifelong skills and respect they'll gain will far exceed the shitty wages and "my dad's an asshole for making me do this job" feelings they'll have about it. They're not going to be another couple of snot nosed punk kids that think they're higher than thou simply because they've never had grit under their nails or been looked at sideways because they look, and smell like, they just climbed out from a manure pile. Hell, if I do my job right if anyone comes at em sideways they'll smile and compliment the asshole for being rude.
From the moment my kid could walk I've put handtools in his hands and have included him in most of my DIY adventures. Much like everything else I can't leave good enough alone. Buy me a Ferarri. I'll find some project I want to do on it. Pretty much any car will suffer the wrath of my DIY obsession.

When my cousins kids came to live with us they weren't used to the tempo. Chores were mandatory and DIYing was encouraged. My cousins were pretty conservative so they treated their kids like they were made of glass. Bred that out of them REAL quick. They didn't like me much at first as they only got to see FUN uncle before the tragedy so they were pretty surprised when R. Lee Ermey showed up but after a while they really enjoyed the consistency. I think keeping them super busy and on a tight schedule helped them get through the tragedy. Bella is an Oral Surgeon and Nicholas is an Executive Chef at some fancy restaurant in Europe now. Miss them both.

From the moment my kid could walk I've put handtools in his hands and have included him in most of my DIY adventures. Much like everything else I can't leave good enough alone. Buy me a Ferarri. I'll find some project I want to do on it. Pretty much any car will suffer the wrath of my DIY obsession.

When my cousins kids came to live with us they weren't used to the tempo. Chores were mandatory and DIYing was encouraged. My cousins were pretty conservative so they treated their kids like they were made of glass. Bred that out of them REAL quick. They didn't like me much at first as they only got to see FUN uncle before the tragedy so they were pretty surprised when R. Lee Ermey showed up but after a while they really enjoyed the consistency. I think keeping them super busy and on a tight schedule helped them get through the tragedy. Bella is an Oral Surgeon and Nicholas is an Executive Chef at some fancy restaurant in Europe now. Miss them both.
we've done the same thing with ours. still have a hell of a time with the boy not pulling his weight chores-wise, but i've been a hard ass on my stepdaughter since day one simply because I do NOT want her growing up with a victim mentality like her mother. She'll be independent, strong, and opinionated. She's one of the best behaved kids I know until she gets some wild idea in her head. At least she's learned there's no such thing as half assing anything, including getting in trouble. Pretty solid for a seven year old lol

A lot of the DIY stuff I've ended up doing I don't let em around because of PPE being too big, or having to be on a roof. I also won't let them near a car on jack stands just because I've had sets fail before. Once they're a bit older they'll be doing the car shit too. they just need to get past the panic freezing kids do and figure out the GTFO FAST reaction instead.

Legit question. Who would you rather deal with. The engineer that told the architect his design should work, or the architect that is having a meltdown because the trade workers are building what will actually work?
The engineer because they’ll eventually catch on while the architect still has their head in the clouds say “but what about my vision” 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

The engineer because they’ll eventually catch on while the architect still has their head in the clouds say “but what about my vision” 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤣
I got to be friends with a woman that was a structural engineer. She told me this story about how she had gone to the site to check on things and the super came into the trailer bitching and moaning about how nothing fit right and who the hell designed this crap. She told him she was the structural engineer that was responsible. She said he went off on her about how terrible the design was and how this was going to put them behind schedule for weeks to fix it all. They both walked over to the site where they were putting all the steel work together. She told him that they didn't assemble it right and that this beam is supposed to go over here and that upright was in the wrong place, etc. She said he just kind of grumbled at her and said "This better work....."

When she passed by the site again later that day the same super came up to her and shook her hand and told her that after they did all the stuff she said the whole thing came together like butter. :ROFLMAO:

I got to be friends with a woman that was a structural engineer. She told me this story about how she had gone to the site to check on things and the super came into the trailer bitching and moaning about how nothing fit right and who the hell designed this crap. She told him she was the structural engineer that was responsible. She said he went off on her about how terrible the design was and how this was going to put them behind schedule for weeks to fix it all. They both walked over to the site where they were putting all the steel work together. She told him that they didn't assemble it right and that this beam is supposed to go over here and that upright was in the wrong place, etc. She said he just kind of grumbled at her and said "This better work....."

When she passed by the site again later that day the same super came up to her and shook her hand and told her that after they did all the stuff she said the whole thing came together like butter. :ROFLMAO:
reminds me of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicorp_Center_engineering_crisis

Fuck 'em. Set up an ecommerce site and go nuts on social media. Your pipes will sell by pushing the handmade angle.
TThat's exactly what i was thinking! but believe it or not, i tryt not to post too much for some reason... i type up stuff then delete it, thinking i talk too much as it is

yes @Pipecarver i think you could make a fortune if you already don't have an elite clientele for your products. fuck the vape/head shops, you can probably sell them for $100+ as personally handcrafted online, i would guess? sorry if i'm lowballing you, i have no idea what those bad-ass pipes cost, i know i would pay near $100, and i've never had a wood pipe. i once had a cool virginia clay pipe that looked like gandolf's from lotr. you could break off a piece near the mouth if it got clogged, was the benefit of the clay, of course the downside, is it's short-lived.

are your customers primarily tobacco users? i remeber my friend's dad's car he was driving in high school once smelled amazing to me and it was because he said his dAD spilled cherry pipe tobacco on the floor mat

i'm sorry to ask you so many questions, but if you do sell online, where can us BBs look to bid/buy them?

TThat's exactly what i was thinking! but believe it or not, i tryt not to post too much for some reason... i type up stuff then delete it, thinking i talk too much as it is

yes @Pipecarver i think you could make a fortune if you already don't have an elite clientele for your products. fuck the vape/head shops, you can probably sell them for $100+ as personally handcrafted online, i would guess? sorry if i'm lowballing you, i have no idea what those bad-ass pipes cost, i know i would pay near $100, and i've never had a wood pipe. i once had a cool virginia clay pipe that looked like gandolf's from lotr. you could break off a piece near the mouth if it got clogged, was the benefit of the clay, of course the downside, is it's short-lived.

are your customers primarily tobacco users? i remeber my friend's dad's car he was driving in high school once smelled amazing to me and it was because he said his dAD spilled cherry pipe tobacco on the floor mat

i'm sorry to ask you so many questions, but if you do sell online, where can us BBs look to bid/buy them?
i'm about this too. i don't use my wood pipes (aside from my monkey pipe, that guy has been to every wilderness I've ever stepped foot on), but i have a small and growing collection.

i'm about this too. i don't use my wood pipes (aside from my monkey pipe, that guy has been to every wilderness I've ever stepped foot on), but i have a small and growing collection.
can you share a photo of your collection if you don't mind? i love almost wood everything, no homo lol

can you share a photo of your collection if you don't mind? i love almost wood everything, no homo lol
i wood but @CannaGranny would remove it. I already pushed limits with the titties 😜

nah, give me a few to pull em out. I keep them put away because I don't like them getting dusty. it's nothing impressive. only three right now, including the monkey pipe, but they're sentimental to me.

Back
Top Bottom