Haven't been able to get away from the baby to go into the tent. Been on Dad duty today. One thing to note is the pH. 5.6 this morning, brought it up to 5.9 and it's held 5.8 almost all day. That's kind of a relief.

I plan on going in and and doing some more aggressive LST. I had an idea. I'll run some wire between a couple rings and then from the plant to those lateral lines.

I should've grabbed a before pic but I was trying not to waste any time in there before lights out. She's happy and healthy if you ask me. I tied her down and trimmed the oldest leaves on the lowest nodes. 8 total and 4 only had one blade. Probably the oldest leaves altogether with that in mind. Just those couple snips and my fingers are sticky. I love it. I Wasn't expecting sticky fingers just yet.
20230610_220515.jpg20230610_220529.jpg
Also... this guy started peeking out a couple days ago. I kinda thought it was a fluke being so high up the pot. Pretty cool either way. Looks big and healthy, eh?
20230610_220603.jpg

Looks good man! How are you liking the water system you built? You finding chores and stuff pretty easy?

Seeing a little tip burn so I've backed the light off to 20% to see if that's the culprit.20230611_094558.jpg

Looks good man! How are you liking the water system you built? You finding chores and stuff pretty easy?
So far yeah. It's been pretty simple. I should've wired the RO pump into a switch but the RO system was an afterthought so I run a small extension cord when I need it.

I would run return lines lower or install a seperate pump for emptying the resevoirs because right now, when I do a res change, there's still an inch or more of water in the bottom of the plant res. I don't like that.

I would probably go with a larger control resevoir and an extra pump or two that just circulates that water, something to mix the the added nutes.

After a few harvests, this closet will become the water room and I'll have a veg and flower room on seperate systems. Life hit me with a potential detour, though, and I may only be able to get one harvest in before traveling with the family for work. Nothing's on paper yet but the GC of the recent project I wired wants me to follow them and be their electrician. With the wife on board to try out the camper life for a while, the money is something I shouldn't pass up.

So far yeah. It's been pretty simple. I should've wired the RO pump into a switch but the RO system was an afterthought so I run a small extension cord when I need it.

I would run return lines lower or install a seperate pump for emptying the resevoirs because right now, when I do a res change, there's still an inch or more of water in the bottom of the plant res. I don't like that.

I would probably go with a larger control resevoir and an extra pump or two that just circulates that water, something to mix the the added nutes.

After a few harvests, this closet will become the water room and I'll have a veg and flower room on seperate systems. Life hit me with a potential detour, though, and I may only be able to get one harvest in before traveling with the family for work. Nothing's on paper yet but the GC of the recent project I wired wants me to follow them and be their electrician. With the wife on board to try out the camper life for a while, the money is something I shouldn't pass up.
You picked a good trade imo

That sounds awesome dude, could be fun adventure with the family especially with your wife being up for it.
She's the fuckin' best, really. I wouldn't consider it at all if they had to stay behind. My little booger is just over a year old and she grows so fast. I couldn't stand to be gone from her more than a day, let alone months.

Saving some of the old water to mix with the new when doing a change is something i intentionally do.

So your method works off whatever flora/bac develops naturally in your system vs adding bennys? Like sourdough vs yeast bread I dig it.
I don't know why my system works but imo it has more benefits than it does deternents.

Looking at my last response @Aqua Man gave me a bullseye that he agrees.

But yes it may very well be a bread type thing

I don't know why my system works but imo it has more benefits than it does deternents.

Looking at my last response @Aqua Man gave me a bullseye that he agrees.

But yes it may very well be a bread type thing
Yeah its better for the preservation of bennies… they do occur naturally and once they do or you inoculate a system if you keep the population healthy you dont need to add anything. They are basically self sustaining.

Thats why in aquaculture and aquariums you never change more than 50% of the water at one time. Usually 25% a week but i base it off bioload.

Its also part of the EI system that keeps nutrient ratio in balance when not doing a complete changeout

If going sterile this does not matter

I want to add, moe mentioned quite a while ago that just the film on tge buckets is enough to start a new colony
Correct and should not be wiped off either.

But the issues come from the additional chlorine. If doing a complete changeout you lose most of the bacteria and the amount of chlorine added is likely enough to almost finish off the rest. Chlorine breaks w when it reacts with organic matter. So if your changing 25-50% the concentration is not enough to wipe them out.

With most supplies using chloramine these days it will stay in a system for weeks until it has broken down naturally or through reactions.

Bacteria can reproduce extremely fast with some species doubling in I believe as little as 5-10 minutes in the right conditions.

Last edited:
Maybe, but where/how did it start?
They already exist everywhere the main source is anywhere water meets air mainly air pumps or the water surface which is important to be agitated for aeration.

Nitrifying bacteria can take up to 4 weeks to populate naturally but many things contribute and can be much faster. With inoculation this occurs in days.

I have tested and verified a fair bit of this myself. Its 100% quantifiable with a simple aquarium test kit for free ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

They already exist everywhere the main source is anywhere water meets air mainly air pumps or the water surface which is important to be agitated for aeration.

Nitrifying bacteria can take up to 4 weeks to populate naturally but many things contribute and can be much faster. With inoculation this occurs in days.

I have tested and verified a fair bit of this myself. Its 100% quantifiable with a simple aquarium test kit for free ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
Im on well water ro, can say i remember what the water @GrumpAzz is on, i think city water then water softener then ro.

Its in the details, sorry for hijacking gramp

Im on well water ro, can say i remember what the water @GrumpAzz is on, i think city water then water softener then ro.

Its in the details, sorry for hijacking gramp
I run sofetened shitty city water through my RO/DI system. Before the RO, we're talkin 500ppms. The filters remove virtually everything.
OMG I missed like a month here or something. Plants and training look great. I see you are in great hands here!
Haha. It's been a busy few days, my man. Aqua sees all and smoke has been all about helping so even though you've been missed, the plant hasn't missed a beat. She's done a lot of stretching today and will likely have more for me to tie down tonight. Ph has been 5.8 since yesterday morning! WOOT WOOT

I run sofetened shitty city water through my RO/DI system. Before the RO, we're talkin 500ppms. The filters remove virtually everything.

Haha. It's been a busy few days, my man. Aqua sees all and smoke has been all about helping so even though you've been missed, the plant hasn't missed a beat. She's done a lot of stretching today and will likely have more for me to tie down tonight. Ph has been 5.8 since yesterday morning! WOOT WOOT
Happy for you man. Keep it on the fairway all the way to harvest.

Comin' in 5 x 5.....these next few weeks should see some real growth. Sounds like your solutions are stabilizing.

Back
Top Bottom