Trying something new.. instead of changing all the water like I usually do, I mixed a batch up top of bloom nutes. It'll slowly add to the lower res. Well.. not so slowly. She's drinking more than a gallon a day. I'm impressed.
20240404_065659.jpg

Got my first lil hairs showing up ๐Ÿ˜
20240404_063029.jpg

The shoots are outgrowing the main stalks..
Canopy may end up a little uneven ๐Ÿคท
20240404_062818.jpg

Things are running smoothly now. I'll drop the humidity down when she quits stretching.
Screenshot_20240404_075115_AC Infinity.jpg

Last edited:
Buckets should be here in the next couple days.. then I'm just waiting on my gal to finish so I can get to upsizing.
Are you going to be able to use the same water pump you are using now?
What water pump are you using?

I need a few tops to catch up but otherwise she's looking pretty good. I raised the light up almost as far as it'll go. Once she's done stretching, I'll lower it to about 12" above the majority of the canopy. I think today is the 12th day from flip. I haven't kept as good of records this time. Been hella busy with work. She's drank 5 gallons since the res change 3 days ago. She's thirsty.
View attachment 20240407_062724.mp4

Are you going to be able to use the same water pump you are using now?
What water pump are you using?
I think this one will work fine. I can't remember the flow rate off the top of my head but I have it on it's lowest setting right now and it still moves a good amount of water. I'll find it and link it. I've been really happy with it so far. It's quiet and digitally adjustable.

Nice is that in your res. or inline?
I only ask because a lot of those digital pumps [ which I love ] are prone to leaking while being used inline.
I recommended them because they have very little if any heat transfer when submerged in the res.

Nice is that in your res. or inline?
I only ask because a lot of those digital pumps [ which I love ] are prone to leaking while being used inline.
I recommended them because they have very little if any heat transfer when submerged in the res.
It's currently inline. It leaks every time I pull it apart to clean it.
It leaks.. I tighten the shit out of it.. it leaks a little less.. I give 'er my all.. fixed.

I already have a pump in my res and it runs through the chiller. I have it placed so the suction side is pulling from the main return line.

The reason the digital pumps run cooler is the transformer/power switcher is not in the pump, but remotely located.
I love Danner Mag pumps and even Hagen Aquaclear powerheads but they place the whole show in the water.
It is reported that a Danner Mag can raise water temp 5-7f over room temp.
With a chiller this is less concerning unless you are overworking the chiller which is unlikely.

Is there a gasket on the DC pump where it leaks?
I could send you a piece of EPDM/rubber you could custom make one from if needed.

The reason the digital pumps run cooler is the transformer/power switcher is not in the pump, but remotely located.
I love Danner Mag pumps and even Hagen Aquaclear powerheads but they place the whole show in the water.
It is reported that a Danner Mag can raise water temp 5-7f over room temp.
With a chiller this is less concerning unless you are overworking the chiller which is unlikely.

Is there a gasket on the DC pump where it leaks?
I could send you a piece of EPDM/rubber you could custom make one from if needed.
I have a Danner on standby. I grabbed it to circulate my top-off resevoir but it kept it too warm. That res isn't chilled though, just the lower system. I might utilize that pump in the new system. I might just keep it for what it is.. a backup.

Some gasket material would be sweet! These ones are gonna blow eventually.

Get me you info and I have plenty of sheet rubber.
The Mag Danner probably transfers less heat if installed in line.
I know I mentioned a fan for your Alita air pump but that is good idea for any inline 'dry' pump IME.

Get me you info and I have plenty of sheet rubber.
The Mag Danner probably transfers less heat if installed in line.
I know I mentioned a fan for your Alita air pump but that is good idea for any inline 'dry' pump IME.
That air pump runs super cool. It's in my lung room and isn't even warm to the touch. I love this thing. It's my favorite grow-op purchase yet.

-------

Here's the tent after I got everything under control.
Screenshot_20240407_073709_AC Infinity.jpg

I've got a question for those of you with more experience than myself...

So I've been working nights. The only way for me to see my plant at lights on was to have the lights kick on at 6am and off at 6pm. That gave me some time before and after work to check on things.

Well I've been moved back to days and, with my work schedule compared to the light schedule, I won't be home to see it while the lights are on.

Is there a proper way to transition the time frame so I can get an eye on my plant? Would an extra 12 hours of darkness hurt anything? I can wait til stretch is over if I need to, but that'll be in a few days, so I won't see it until this weekend. HELP!

I've got a question for those of you with more experience than myself...

So I've been working nights. The only way for me to see my plant at lights on was to have the lights kick on at 6am and off at 6pm. That gave me some time before and after work to check on things.

Well I've been moved back to days and, with my work schedule compared to the light schedule, I won't be home to see it while the lights are on.

Is there a proper way to transition the time frame so I can get an eye on my plant? Would an extra 12 hours of darkness hurt anything? I can wait til stretch is over if I need to, but that'll be in a few days, so I won't see it until this weekend. HELP!

Whatever day you decide, all you do is extend the dark time up to the new time you want lights to come on. 12 hours of extended dark will not hurt anything. Think of it as a very dark and cloudy day in nature that should otherwise be bright and sunny.
I've done this more often than I can count due to the same...changing work schedules, working around tier pricing on utilities, etc

Whatever day you decide, all you do is extend the dark time up to the new time you want lights to come on. 12 hours of extended dark will not hurt anything. Think of it as a very dark and cloudy day in nature that should otherwise be bright and sunny.
I've done this more often than I can count due to the same...changing work schedules, working around tier pricing on utilities, etc
Great! Thanks ๐Ÿ‘
She'll turn off tonight at 6pm and won't come back on til tomorrow, 6pm. Glad it's as simple as that.

2 weeks since the flip to 12/12. She's really stretching from the middle which I did not expect. My main 4 colas haven't even reached the second screen.

When she's done stretching, I'm gonna trim her bushy downstairs and nip any shoots that don't make the cut.
20240409_194955.jpg20240409_195127.jpg

Looking good grumps..hopefully they donโ€™t stretch too much more..how far is the light awayโ€ฆ

My 13 gallon 4 site came with a danner 500 gph pump inline that pushes through the chiller. Something to think about is that alot (most) rdwc systems that other growers use here incorporate a "water fall" into their systems.

I personally don't see the need

Looking good grumps..hopefully they donโ€™t stretch too much more..how far is the light awayโ€ฆ
The light is roughly 18 inches above the highest point of the plant with probably 2 feet of room to move up. I think she's got plenty of room. It's hard to tell, but that second screen is only 13 inches above the lid.
My 13 gallon 4 site came with a danner 500 gph pump inline that pushes through the chiller. Something to think about is that alot (most) rdwc systems that other growers use here incorporate a "water fall" into their systems.

I personally don't see the need
Nice!

My main pump can't pump low enough for my chiller as it is. It's got a very low flow requirement so I bought a pump specifically for it.

My Current Culture buckets and bulkheads showed up yesterday. I'm pumped. With just a preliminary set up, it's looking like the 4 site plans will work perfectly in my 5x5 and I should easily be able to grow them into the same 3x3 screen, leaving me the same foot of working space. This is gonna cut my veg time in half or so. Like I said... PUMPED

Hey @smoke, with your buckets, what do you do about the little access hole in the lid? It seems like there would be some serious light penetration into the rootzone.

I like the elevated design. It's gonna allow for some creativity with my feedwater. Under current flow should be really easy to pull off.

Now I've got another reason to look forward to this coming harvest. Gonna have some killer buds and get to start working on a killer setup. Did I say PUMPED!?

Hey @smoke, with your buckets, what do you do about the little access hole in the lid? It seems like there would be some serious light penetration into the rootzone
Ive never worried or done anything about it.

However looking at some pictures it is a good place for some of those yellow sticky traps.
Screenshot_20240410-091544_Gallery.jpg

My Current Culture buckets and bulkheads showed up yesterday. I'm pumped. With just a preliminary set up, it's looking like the 4 site plans will work perfectly in my 5x5 and I should easily be able to grow them into the same 3x3 screen, leaving me the same foot of working space. This is gonna cut my veg time in half or so. Like I said... PUMPED

Hey @smoke, with your buckets, what do you do about the little access hole in the lid? It seems like there would be some serious light penetration into the rootzone.

I like the elevated design. It's gonna allow for some creativity with my feedwater. Under current flow should be really easy to pull off.

Now I've got another reason to look forward to this coming harvest. Gonna have some killer buds and get to start working on a killer setup. Did I say PUMPED!?

Congrats on the new system Grump!!!๐Ÿฅณ
Upgrades are always fun and can't wait to see it in action!!๐Ÿฟ

Can't wait to see it in action! Been sitting on a 4 site system from them, got way in over my head as far as space was concerned to make it work.
I just bought buckets with lids and some bulkheads. I'll do the plumbing myself. I'll be able to fit 4 sites under a 3x3 screen with another control bucket outside the tent. I might have to get a larger top-off rez but we'll see when the time comes. My current top-off rez is only 30 gallons so it'll depend on the proper level per bucket. It might work out just right.

Looking at the last picture, when you get those 12" colas up top, will that downward weight put extra stress on that split crouch?

Looking at the last picture, when you get those 12" colas up top, will that downward weight put extra stress on that split crouch?
I think there's a chance. It's hard to say, though. She's woven into the net pretty good. The split seems to have gotten better and worse at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom