New Grow - Rose Gold Pave` by Compound Genetics - Bud Builders

One of the things want to say before I forget, the height of your table matters. It needs to be 4-6” shorter than your plants are tall.
Thank you!

I watched one of your old videos a while back and I think you were teaching to hang the table, which is what Imma gonna do, making it out of some thick 1.5" PVC and metal grate so should be heavy enough to hold her down while hanging from the ratchet chords. That's gonna get me whatever height I need for whatever plant happens to be there, or at least the method to muh madness.

Thank you!

I watched one of your old videos a while back and I think you were teaching to hang the table, which is what Imma gonna do, making it out of some thick 1.5" PVC and metal grate so should be heavy enough to hold her down while hanging from the ratchet chords. That's gonna get me whatever height I need for whatever plant happens to be there, or at least the method to muh madness.
Mine has legs. I hang the table for two reasons. It’s easier for one person to be able to lower it atop of your crop and it makes getting that beautiful tangle of bud much easier to get out from under it at harvest time. I never raise nor lower it after having gone to flower. Except to harvest.
When I grow those tall lanky sativas, my height is 24” , the shorter bushier indicas I use the 18” legs. I’d say the 18 for your plants.
Looking forward to this, excited for you to see what you can make happen. It triples the take of my crop, over free budding.
You will need a trellis net more than likely. When my buds hit ten inches tall above the table I place a trellis net just to help them stand up and stay straight. I add the net nine inches above the table.
Pics below, @ three weeks this lanky lady has flowers well above nine inches on my scrog top ( hang your net in the back for easy access prior to setting your table in.)
Pic 2, net set, nine inches above my table and blooms supported.IMG_1408.jpegIMG_1431.jpeg

Thanks CG for all the great information! The table is almost finished and it might be just in time or perhaps a bit late. Was planning on bringing it home next Monday and going for it then but she is getting big! What do you think @CannaGranny , you think it wise to go that long? I would think she’s very close to flipping.IMG_4225.jpeg

I think your time table is in good shape. No probs hanging off til Monday. As soon as you table the Lady, the hard part for most is coming. That would be to lollypop your plant beneath the table. I have a couple of vids on that process that I will share with you.
We are off to the scrog grow! Yay Sweet!

I think your time table is in good shape. No probs hanging off til Monday. As soon as you table the Lady, the hard part for most is coming. That would be to lollypop your plant beneath the table. I have a couple of vids on that process that I will share with you.
We are off to the scrog grow! Yay Sweet!
Thanks, yea, for the most part I've been letting her go wild, thinking I should top a few of the taller branches perhaps. Gonna have lots of pruning to do once I get the table in there.

Thanks, yea, for the most part I've been letting her go wild, thinking I should top a few of the taller branches perhaps. Gonna have lots of pruning to do once I get the table in there.
I usually top and fim five days prior to tabling. Makes her super ready for the stretch.

I don’t care how stun the leaves look as long as I have three main colas instead of one 🙂
Serious question here:

I actually tried my first attempt at FIMing there, turns out, I don't think it worked cause all I got was the cut off leaves and no double branch that I was expecting.

If you do not end up with additional cola stalks in this process, how do you get additional colas? Or are you saying for you FIM means to stall the growth on the apical cola to let the side ones catch up?

Serious question here:

If you do not end up with additional cola stalks in this process, how do you get additional colas? Or are you saying for you FIM means to stall the growth on the apical cola to let the side ones catch up?
In essence, yes.

Topping vs. Fimming​

Fimming is another technique used to increase the number of colas and yield size. It’s similar to topping in idea and appearance, but not quite the same.

The name stands for “f*ck, I missed” and refers to how sloppy this method appears. It involves pinching and removing around 75% of the tip of the plant: like you tried to top and missed.

Instead of producing two stems, this approach leaves you with four or more new branches. Each develops and fattens a separate apex cola in flowering.

Fimming is a more efficient yield booster than topping, but it’s less precise. The snip must be accurate to get the branching pattern; rookies often end up harming the plant with no benefit. It’s also less successful at managing height, as fimmed weed plants still grow rather tall.

Topping is better for growers with large plants and lofty harvest ambitions. Fimming is suitable for advanced cultivators looking to experiment. It’s also excellent for micro-growing, as it maximizes the yield potential of limited spaces.

This also confirms if not done correctly could for sure be detrimental, and a let down on your take.
I used to routinely get between 4-7 z per free budded plant. By scrogging and Fimming I now routinely yield 8-16 z. A very big difference.
I am very limited on growing space, this is one way I can produce like crazy and make every inch of real estate count.

In essence, yes.

Topping vs. Fimming​

Fimming is another technique used to increase the number of colas and yield size. It’s similar to topping in idea and appearance, but not quite the same.

The name stands for “f*ck, I missed” and refers to how sloppy this method appears. It involves pinching and removing around 75% of the tip of the plant: like you tried to top and missed.

Instead of producing two stems, this approach leaves you with four or more new branches. Each develops and fattens a separate apex cola in flowering.

Fimming is a more efficient yield booster than topping, but it’s less precise. The snip must be accurate to get the branching pattern; rookies often end up harming the plant with no benefit. It’s also less successful at managing height, as fimmed weed plants still grow rather tall.

Topping is better for growers with large plants and lofty harvest ambitions. Fimming is suitable for advanced cultivators looking to experiment. It’s also excellent for micro-growing, as it maximizes the yield potential of limited spaces.
Trying to understand here, but SLG said he did not end up with new branches? Are you saying he needs to look closer?

Trying to understand here, but SLG said he did not end up with new branches? Are you saying he needs to look closer?
I’m saying being new to the technique, can cause a detrimental effect. If not properly done I would not expect to see a gain in the number of tops, but rather damage to the original top that I had.
He was successful in some of his Fimming as I can see that in his leaf growth up top.
Proper timing is everything.
Fimming 5-7 days prior to being introduced to stretch makes all the difference. Having already completed all topping at least a week and a half prior to Fimming makes all the difference.
Like every single process involved with this plant, the devil is in the details.
Most jump in minus time lines and processes to be completed prior to, and so the results can be very varied.

Another important thing to remember is that we are not trying to obtain limbs with this process (that’s why topping is done) we are creating additional colas.
So this last grow I had a question in my mind about this process.
One. Does this process actually create more bud than free budding and am I just using better genetics and processes now?
In other words, if I just had the initial apex cola or I had 3-4 more apex colas on a plant would there be a profound difference in weight, or would it weigh the same even though I had 3-4 vs 1 Flower.
So, half of my crop I fimmed half I did not. The free budded flower single apex cola weighed consistently far below the cluster of 3-4 fimmed flowers. Answered that question for me.
It’s a process that works and works well. If not I sure would not waste my time repeating it.
While many have dedicated their experiences to a certain process, like hydro,
etc. The last 12 years, I have dedicated mine to max production in limited spaces. That is my audience when I teach home grow classes.
Soooo, I love the Fimming process find it greatly increases harvest..
I am CannyGranny Queen of the Corner ( okay okay, the only fem there) and I endorse this message! ☺️😊😂🤣

Thanks for all this info GC, it's a great technique that you have down to a science!

I'm just jumpin in head first, see what I can do. I know my timing and this and that will be off, but only one way to learn and that is do it. I'll refine this on the next one and the next and the next 👊

Sounds like fiming is an art that is worth pursuing. I will try it some more.

I am very nervous about waiting till Monday to throw that table in there, she has really taken off the past few days as I have her dialed in on a slow and steady increase in nutrients levels. The table might be ready but snow and ice on the roads don't make me excited to go out to get that table and install it today before I go out of town.

Thanks for all this info GC, it's a great technique that you have down to a science!

I'm just jumpin in head first, see what I can do. I know my timing and this and that will be off, but only one way to learn and that is do it. I'll refine this on the next one and the next and the next 👊

Sounds like fiming is an art that is worth pursuing. I will try it some more.

I am very nervous about waiting till Monday to throw that table in there, she has really taken off the past few days as I have her dialed in on a slow and steady increase in nutrients levels. The table might be ready but snow and ice on the roads don't make me excited to go out to get that table and install it today before I go out of town.
Since you have control of the height by dropping it, I promise ya, four days won’t make nor break ya! You really want that extra height so you can properly spread your limbs below the screen. Remember we don’t allow the tops to just poke through your table, we push them under. I’d rather see you start with the bigger plant.
Please don’t challenge snow and ice to just pick up your table!
You are most welcome, my pleasure!🥰

OK, got the new scrog table and here is my first attempt at this form of art. Thanks for taking the time to help CG, can't wait to see what she does now.

I did get in and do some defoliation on the lower part of the plant and pulled some of the larger fan leaves off, but I think I got her pushed down pretty good. Before and after below.

Going to flip the lights to 12/12 tonight at lights off and get ready for the show, currently feeding at around 560 ppm, will probably change out the res on Thursday before I go out of town for work and update to bloom ratios.

IMG_4229.jpegIMG_4230.jpegIMG_4232.jpeg

OK, got the new scrog table and here is my first attempt at this form of art. Thanks for taking the time to help CG, can't wait to see what she does now.

I did get in and do some defoliation on the lower part of the plant and pulled some of the larger fan leaves off, but I think I got her pushed down pretty good. Before and after below.

Going to flip the lights to 12/12 tonight at lights off and get ready for the show, currently feeding at around 560 ppm, will probably change out the res on Thursday before I go out of town for work and update to bloom ratios.

View attachment 44644View attachment 44645View attachment 44646
Looking good and exactly how I wanted you to table them, pushed under and lain out long wise! Don’t do any weaving don’t change a thing. Flip them and watch them grow!

Cruising along here, 10 days since flip, not showing any pistils yet but looks like she might be starting to stretch. I am surprised at how long this plant took to recover from placing that scrog table and I am also having other issues with her. Not long after I set the table, she stopped drinking on me. Trying to get that figured out, never had this scenario before so working through it trying to get her drinking again.

This morning, she seems to have started back to drinking but it's very slow to start. Running at 570 ppm, she has been asking for more nutrients steadily since I changed out the res this last Monday. I like to come in light and then adjust up rather than overfeed and have to deal with that mess. I'm hoping by this time tomorrow she will be drinking as normal again, which prior to changing the res she was drinking almost 2 gallons a day.

Looking to have a great canopy, gotta get in and do some pruning soon, just waiting till she establishes her main colas, then gonna take everything else off.IMG_4250.jpegIMG_4251.jpeg

Not sure what’s going on there. My plants recover rather quickly after tabling. I think she is looking lovely!
You do need to remove everything below the table that has not reached the top at this point. There should be nothing below your net.
I do my major defoil up top at week three. I try to never do a hard defoil after week 3.5, but rather I will tuck leaves where I can and only remove if they are blocking a major budsite.
Expect differences, different method, different time periods etc. Relax! She’s gorgeous 🥰

Not sure what’s going on there. My plants recover rather quickly after tabling. I think she is looking lovely!
You do need to remove everything below the table that has not reached the top at this point. There should be nothing below your net.
Thanks CG, I might just have unreasonable expectations since this is my first time, but I do think there is something going on with her not drinking. Just checked and it does appear that she is finally drinking again today.

I've realized I need to prune a bunch of lower stuff but was waiting to see if I could fix this water uptake problem before I did a bunch of defoliation and shock her even more. I might need to slightly raise the ppfd on the light, gonna try that and see if that might not jump start her, then take off that larf underneath once I see that recovery.

So you changed the res at the time you added the net? And presumably did some defoliation in the process? How large a percentage of foliage did you remove?

Your PPM seems high but the plants seem to like it.

What changed? Did you use the same ratios? Did you get a VPD swing that caused transpiration to stall? Did you change lights or anything else?

So, I added the scrog and 4 days later did a res change. Some minor defoliation yes, nothing major.

Yea, ppms are higher with this one, at least if I am reading the chart right. There is a little ambiguity when they are not drinking and I was a bit unsure what to do. Most solutions when the plant is not drinking involve less ppms, but there are a couple of scenarios where it calls for raising the ec and one of these seemed to fit so I went with it. I have raised the ppm by .1 a couple of times since the res change, she keeps asking for more, and it finally looks like she is drinking some after not hardly drinking most of this week.

Nothing else has changed except we are warming up around here and it's also been very humid. I don't measure vpd so that is probably part of this. The only other thing I did change was to raise the ppfd on the light from around 500 to 700, see if I can drive em a bit harder and see what that does. Did that earlier today and I don't see any issues other than I am pretty sure she is drinking again, slowly anyway.

I'm using early bloom ratios, did change that when I did the res change.

Here is a new chart I found that I have been using. Of note, this one has all the scenarios where the water level is static and has a few other helpful notes.

EC:PH Balance Chart.jpg

RH could be part of it. As it goes up but temp does not, there is less room in the air for H2O molecules to leave the stomata bringing new water into the roots.

Since you brought the lights up, watch them close for a day. If there is a problem underneath it will show up with the higher PPFD.

Honestly tho the plant seems good, I would not be overly concerned. But it's good to notice these things for sure.

PH stable?

You heading out of town for the weekend? Maybe the Mrs can snap a photo or 2 tomorrow nite if you are.

They slow drinking if they aren't thirsty.
Some do some don't
As we talked, my silver haze stopped eating for the last maybe the last 10 days. That was new to me but its what they preferred as 2 complete water/nute changes did nothing

Edit she looks good imo

RH could be part of it. As it goes up but temp does not, there is less room in the air for H2O molecules to leave the stomata bringing new water into the roots.

Since you brought the lights up, watch them close for a day. If there is a problem underneath it will show up with the higher PPFD.

Honestly tho the plant seems good, I would not be overly concerned. But it's good to notice these things for sure.

PH stable?

You heading out of town for the weekend? Maybe the Mrs can snap a photo or 2 tomorrow nite if you are.
PH has been good, not exactly stable but not wicked dives either, it's very close to being stable. Don't have my notes over here but the trend has been dropping pH and EC which says she wants more nutrients. Been bumping that up slowly. She did take a couple of gallons of water last night when I tended to everything so that was good, did not notice anything wonky with turning the light up. I'll see if Mrs SweetLeaf can give us an update while I am out of town. She's going to be over here with me tonight so will have to wait till tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom