Welcome to the Cave of Daily Mishaps

wild. it just must be the genetics you've ran then. almost every single grow i've had plants at least double their height, often tripling, during the stretch period. the one exception was a few heavy indica leaners early on in my grow journey. they were closer to 1.5x height gain though.
So i think its because i never had the net secure, so the plants pushed it up making it seem like i only got 2-3 inches of stretch.

Now im got a better grasp on things and think i got it this time! This is attempt #4 so im definitely due for a successful scrog.

So i think its because i never had the net secure, so the plants pushed it up making it seem like i only got 2-3 inches of stretch.

Now im got a better grasp on things and think i got it this time! This is attempt #4 so im definitely due for a successful scrog.
that's part of why i stopped bothering with scrogs. getting the net to stay put without using some kind of seriously rigid material was always my problem. we don't give plants enough credit for how ridiculously stubborn and strong they are.

so, you want to go inverse actually. Say your lights on temp is 77F, bump that lights off temp to 80F-82F. you only need to do this during the stretch period, so day 0 - 21. i'm no expert but from what I've seen in the handful of growers that have done it, the technique almost all but eliminates internodal stretch.
AHA! So you actually want it warmer at lights off?

that's part of why i stopped bothering with scrogs. getting the net to stay put without using some kind of seriously rigid material was always my problem. we don't give plants enough credit for how ridiculously stubborn and strong they are.
I just need to utilize the space im using to its full potential so i think a scrog will be the best way to do that.
If i have too, ill screw that damned camp chair through the tent and into the god damn floor so the plant doesnt lift it up.
I didnt realize these plants were so gosh darn strong until i started growing 😅

If you know how much stretch you'll have use it to know when to flip if you're scrogging. I try and get no more than 8" or 9" of vertical stretch through the net so that the netline bud sites get enough PPFD.

This last run testing out the genetics the sat dom did a little under triple as far as stretch. The other 2 hybrids had more indica in them so they almost doubled in stretch. I'm gonna run one of the indica doms so, now that I know how much stretch to expect, I'm going to flip them, let them stretch and continue to tuck then let them go vertical once they fill the screen. If I guess it right most of the flower should be uniform in size along with some fat sticky bombs.

correct. i don't know what the science is behind it, but it works. probably has something to do with preventing the production of some growth hormone in the plant or something.
I would think that since transpiration is the main lights off activity for the plant it has something to do with that? I know lights on is mostly photosynthesis.

If you know how much stretch you'll have use it to know when to flip if you're scrogging. I try and get no more than 8" or 9" of vertical stretch through the net so that the netline bud sites get enough PPFD.

This last run testing out the genetics the sat dom did a little under triple as far as stretch. The other 2 hybrids had more indica in them so they almost doubled in stretch. I'm gonna run one of the indica doms so, now that I know how much stretch to expect, I'm going to flip them, let them stretch and continue to tuck then let them go vertical once they fill the screen. If I guess it right most of the flower should be uniform in size along with some fat sticky bombs.
that's raises a solid secondary point on scrogging. timing the flip is critical so you can manage some of the stretch by continuing to tuck while also getting the advantage of a level crop across the surface of the screen.

instead of doing the whole scrogging thing, i've just bumped my plant count up and use trellis to spread the branches, then let the plants do their thing. always end up running into vertical limitations though. big ambitions in little spaces lol

I would think that since transpiration is the main lights off activity for the plant it has something to do with that? I know lights on is mostly photosynthesis.
potentially. by completely fucking the VPD, the stomata stay closed so they can't transpire as effectively, thereby literally choking the growth capacity. hmmm something to think on.

I just need to utilize the space im using to its full potential so i think a scrog will be the best way to do that.
If i have too, ill screw that damned camp chair through the tent and into the god damn floor so the plant doesnt lift it up.
I didnt realize these plants were so gosh darn strong until i started growing 😅
Most tents have velcro at each corner to secure the inner pan. Use that keep your frame secured.

potentially. by completely fucking the VPD, the stomata stay closed so they can't transpire as effectively, thereby literally choking the growth capacity. hmmm something to think on.
If that is in fact what is happening I wonder what that does to overall growth rates especially in flower?

If that is in fact what is happening I wonder what that does to overall growth rates especially in flower?
given you only apply the inverted temperature differential during the stretch period, it should have minimal impact on the overall growth rates. doing heavy defoliations can have comparable effects on stretch ime, but not nearly as severe. if you were to apply the inverted temperature differential throughout the entire flower cycle, i'm sure there would be some fairly significant plant morphology changes, many of which undesirable (less yield, slower growth rates, potential potency and terpene impacts, etc).

that's raises a solid secondary point on scrogging. timing the flip is critical so you can manage some of the stretch by continuing to tuck while also getting the advantage of a level crop across the surface of the screen.

instead of doing the whole scrogging thing, i've just bumped my plant count up and use trellis to spread the branches, then let the plants do their thing. always end up running into vertical limitations though. big ambitions in little spaces lol
I gotta get scrogging down in my 2x2 so i can set up the 3x3 for 2 plant scrogs, run 5 plants in the 4x4, and veg 6 in the 2x2 in 1/2 or 1 gallon pots.

I smoke so much that even 6 plants isnt enough to hold me over....

I gotta get scrogging down in my 2x2 so i can set up the 3x3 for 2 plant scrogs, run 5 plants in the 4x4, and veg 6 in the 2x2 in 1/2 or 1 gallon pots.

I smoke so much that even 6 plants isnt enough to hold me over....
sounds like you need irrigation, automation, and to just sea of green every tent. gotta bump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers!

Im hoping i gave myself enough room lol.
The table is 14" off the floor, and i have the light mounted to the top poles, which gives me like 26 inches of head space.

I know how much both strains i wanna run stretch so i think i got it this time for sure 💪🏼

sounds like you need irrigation, automation, and to just sea of green every tent. gotta bump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers!
Keep telling my wife i need to get a 5x10 for flower and veg in the 4x4.

These rinky dink 2x2s and 3x3s just don't fkn cut it bro. I need more space and shes down my throat im taking up too much space lmfao

Im hoping i gave myself enough room lol.
The table is 14" off the floor, and i have the light mounted to the top poles, which gives me like 26 inches of head space.

I know how much both strains i wanna run stretch so i think i got it this time for sure 💪🏼
On this next run on flip I estimate around 8" - 10" of open net at the edges for the stretch to fill in and still give me my 9" verticals.

Keep telling my wife i need to get a 5x10 for flower and veg in the 4x4.

These rinky dink 2x2s and 3x3s just don't fkn cut it bro. I need more space and shes down my throat im taking up too much space lmfao
i hear you. i want to spin up a few more rigs inside for winter veggie crops, and will need to get some kind of system going to get veggie starts started early until i can get a greenhouse built, but trying not to take up a bunch of space inside. finally have a place with breathing room, not trying to fill it up with black tents everywhere.

i hear you. i want to spin up a few more rigs inside for winter veggie crops, and will need to get some kind of system going to get veggie starts started early until i can get a greenhouse built, but trying not to take up a bunch of space inside. finally have a place with breathing room, not trying to fill it up with black tents everywhere.
Yeah i have a 4x4 and 3x3 in my bedroom, a 2x2 in my kitchen, and another 3x3 folded up under my bed cause my wife said no more or they could all come down 😤😤

Like i pay the electric bill for the grow so wtf!! Lmao.

Ive got the pheno to hit that 13+ oz mark i believe, i just gotta get this shit figured out. Ive tried 3 times and never got more the 2 or 3 inches of stretch which made major issues.
If I want more stretch, I'll put then in the window for a couple hours a day. When it cools off in another month, I can use 150w HPS for extra stretch, or MH for less. Winter grows are always my best.

That's in the 5 x 5. In your 2 x 2 it'll be less.
For sure, im gonna shoot for like 4 inches of open net probably. I know for a fact that the light i have is overkill, so i have only even run it at 50% lol. Hoping for like 14 inches of stretch, so that would give me 10" vertical growth.

For sure, im gonna shoot for like 4 inches of open net probably. I know for a fact that the light i have is overkill, so i have only even run it at 50% lol. Hoping for like 14 inches of stretch, so that would give me 10" vertical growth.
Remember that the space you leave is around the perimeter of the plant. Not only 4" from tent edge but 8" between plants so that they each have 4" to grow into.

Another thought. Since we're strangling them at lights out would that be considered a stressor?

Back
Top Bottom