Wk 4, day 4 of flower, still losing a few yellow leaves, issue or ok?

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
All 4 of the plants in flower are losing the occasional yellow leaf. Smaller plants are losing maybe 3 to 5 a day, the big plant is losing about 5 to 10 a day. The rest of the foliage on each plant looks lush and green with no obvious signs of trouble but I’d like to make sure I’m not heading for trouble.

The plants are in soil, three in fabric planters (15 gal, 15 gal and 10 gal), soil is FFOF/Happy Frog with 30% perlite/pumice/rice hulls.
The big plant is right in the ground (rich red soil) that had a 25 gallon hole filled with the above soil mix. This plant has likely long ago grown out into the red, clay soil.
The plants have been in this soil mix for months.

notes are GH Flora Nova - grow with the addition of Open Sesame, fulvic acid and Ca-Mag/Iron
The PPM for the twice a week feeds is between 550 and 650, I don’t regularly test PH, but when I have it’s been about 5.9 - 6.1.
Normally I‘d have changed to Flora Nova bloom by now, but the leaf drop keeps me thinking I’m behind the nitrogen curve still.

Daytime temps are in the low 100s now, but has ranged from the high 80s (a couple times) to the mid 110s (a couple times) but regularly between 90 and 100. Nightime temps have been upper 50s more recently but we had a long stretch in June and July when the overnight lows were in the upper 70s, those were the days that were in the 110s.

RH is between 10% and 20% during the day rising to about 25% - 30% overnight when the temps drop.

If I were to characterize the leaf drop, it’s still always buried leaves and they turn fully yellow before dropping. If they are in protected areas and don’t fall, they can turn crispy brown while still attached (hot and arid can do that rapidly).

Thank you

Likely water with those conditions. Also understand that synthetic nutrients wash out of the soil. Outdoors its probably a better idea to use organic nutrients as they break down and become available over time.

Its important to understand that a plant can only take up available nutrients… which basically means dissolved in water.

Synthetic nutrients will completely dissolve and thus are immediately available to the plant but likewise they can be flushed away by rain or plain water.

Organic nutrients break down over time providing a steady supply of nutrients. The available nutrients again can be washed away but more will replace them.

The more leaves on a plant the higher the transpiration and more water they need. You can control this by defoliating but as i think you are seeing the plant will control it to an extent itself. If that plant has a lot more foliage or not getting enough water or possibly nutrients it may cannibalize leaves and then drop them.

Are they all the same genetics? Because certain genetics are more or less prone to temp, water, nutrient stresses

Pics would help.

The big one is super blue dream.
Two sativa bag seed ( unknown strain)

One is Skunk #1

I thought I could upload them in order, but I can’t

These are in no order.

SBD
IMG_8924.jpegIMG_8925.jpegIMG_9159.jpegIMG_9161.jpegIMG_9162.jpegIMG_9163.jpeg

Sativa bagseed
IMG_9158.jpegIMG_9156.jpegIMG_9027.jpegIMG_9028.jpegIMG_9172.jpegIMG_9173.jpeg

Skunk1

IMG_8925.jpegIMG_9159.jpegIMG_9161.jpegIMG_9162.jpegIMG_9163.jpegIMG_9158.jpegIMG_9156.jpegIMG_9027.jpegIMG_9028.jpegIMG_9172.jpegIMG_9173.jpegIMG_9059.jpegIMG_9060.jpegIMG_9175.jpegIMG_9176.jpeg

Probably a combination of genetics and environmental conditions… kinda at the mercy of Mother Nature and wouldn’t be too worried
thank you sir.

Kinda like raising kids, you never stop worrying if they’re getting all they should

Today marks week 4, day 1.
I increased the nutrient and hydration radius for the big plant and hit both with a load of fish emulsion (5-1-1).

They both seem stable, for the time being.
I appreciate your assistance @Aqua Man

It never dawned on my sorry gray matter that the root system for this beast must be much larger than I was watering. The ground is rock solid red clay. I am impressed with how aggressive these things are with roots!

I increased the hydr-radius by a couple feet in all directions, gave it a good soak and installed new emitters.
No new yellow over nights is a great improvement.

Today marks week 4, day 1.
I increased the nutrient and hydration radius for the big plant and hit both with a load of fish emulsion (5-1-1).

They both seem stable, for the time being.
I appreciate your assistance @Aqua Man

It never dawned on my sorry gray matter that the root system for this beast must be much larger than I was watering. The ground is rock solid red clay. I am impressed with how aggressive these things are with roots!

I increased the hydr-radius by a couple feet in all directions, gave it a good soak and installed new emitters.
No new yellow over nights is a great improvement.
Roots can break concrete and yeah they can spread put pretty far

Back
Top Bottom